Lynch

SJUgopher

Reaction score
I can't wait until he is an upper classman. Maybe then he will stop fouling like a freshman and be able to stay in games. You need a rim protector at the end of close games.

On neither end of the floor does he play his height. On defense he plays a lot taller and on offense he plays a lot shorter with those ugly looking post moves and shots with low release points.

I can't wait until he is an upper classman. Maybe then he will stop fouling like a freshman and be able to stay in games. You need a rim protector at the end of close games.

On neither end of the floor does he play his height. On defense he plays a lot taller and on offense he plays a lot shorter with those ugly looking post moves and shots with low release points.

He is a shot blocker and most of the time very little else.

He is an upperclassman.

Lynch is one of the mvps of the team, don't know what you are watching.

Yes, but. Either Lynch has to figure out how to stay out of foul trouble, or Pitino has to reduce Lynch's minutes, so that he is on the floor at the end of games. You can be the best player in the world, but you can't impact the game if you're sitting on the bench.

Yes, but. Either Lynch has to figure out how to stay out of foul trouble, or Pitino has to reduce Lynch's minutes, so that he is on the floor at the end of games. You can be the best player in the world, but you can't impact the game if you're sitting on the bench.
Probably wouldn't work, He'd just be more frustrated with less minutes and then even more aggressive.

Totally agree. He plays to his full potential.

Agreed. He doesn't have any more to give. If you are looking for more, look to Coffey and Mason. That's where this team is dying...

Lynch is one of the mvps of the team, don't know what you are watching.

I am watching him go to the bench, fouled out, nearly every conference game. I am watching mediocre FT shooting. I am watching butt ugly shots much of the time.

As I said, shot blocking and rebounds are his main game.

I am watching him go to the bench, fouled out, nearly every conference game. I am watching mediocre FT shooting. I am watching butt ugly shots much of the time.

And both of those are things this team desperately needs. The fouls are frustrating but for the most part they are because he plays aggressive all the time and doesn't really know when to let up some in order to avoid the cheap fouls.

Think people need to remember that Lynch is not some hotshot recruit that we should expect perfection from. He is a transfer player that has made a massive impact on this team but of course he is going to have some flaws in his game as well. As for the free throw shooting, sure it would be nice if he shot for a higher percentage but lots of big guys struggle from the line, certainly isn't specific to Lynch.

Since he is not smart enough to stop picking up the cheap fouls Pitino needs to limit his minutes big time esp in the first half. We need him to finish games --look at the close games where he is not in there when we need his defense and rebounding. He is out of position in so many of his fouls he picks up that the only solution is him to play less than 5 min in the first half

His FG % is .528. While that isn't so impressive for a center, it's the highest shot completion rate on the team. He is a very good defensive center who does foul too much but I guess you're going to have that if one tries to block so many shots. This wouldn't be as much of a problem if the team could get something more out of Konate on the offensive end. Konate is also a pretty fair defensive center. Early in his sophomore year, Konate was developing a fairly effective hook shot but that seems to have completely disappeared from his repertoire. I wish he would have stuck with it.

Feel the need to point out that we don't have a lot of strong on ball defenders and allow a ton of penetration, especially Murphy. Put's a lot of pressure on Lynch, who as mentioned doesn't have a lot of restraint to begin with.

I think a lot of it comes down to how they play the screen game. The gophers are always chasing up and over the screens which always a lot of easy lanes to the basket. With Lynch being as aggressive as he is those easy lanes turn into an opportunity for lynch. They need to switch up that part of the defensive scheme, but it is relying on a lot of help from other players on the floor.

The most frustrating thing with Lynch for me is that he is a shot blocker but he doesn't actually pick up a lot of his fouls chasing blocks. He picks up stupid position fouls. Reggie, you pushed the guy out to the elbow, stop pushing. It's okay for them to get the ball there.

He picks up dumb fouls chasing rebounds he has no chance of getting or dumb position fouls where he's already won the battle and he keeps going.

Then his defense suffers because he can't hold position and opposing bigs can get wherever they want on him.

All in all he's been a plus. His post game is weird looking and I'd rather just have him sit in the short corner and finish drop offs but they want to get him the ball in the post. I just wish he'd stop picking up dumb fouls that have no impact on the shot.

I can't wait until he is an upper classman. Maybe then he will stop fouling like a freshman and be able to stay in games

I agree, when Big Reg turns say 22 he will figure that out... oh wait.

Since he is not smart enough to stop picking up the cheap fouls Pitino needs to limit his minutes big time esp in the first half.

I could be wrong, but I believe that in each of the last two games he has 1 foul in the first half and 4 in the second half.

Can't disagree with that

Konate'; start him. Let Lynch see how they are playing Konate'. Put Lynch in at the first media time out unless it is going real bad. Give Konate' as much PT in the first half as possible. Ask Lynch in a nice way to stop fouling away from the hoop. Say please.

IMO Lynch is picking up cheap fouls or the "dumb" foul because he is on help side or trying to recover back to his man. This was very true in the Maryland game where Murphy was getting burnt inside and outside. Lynch is doing his job defensively but is picking up fouls because the other guys are not in the correct position. Our help side defensive rotations were very late during this losing streak. Pick up the defense and we are all good.

That was my sarcastic joke. He fouls like a freshman.

To be fair, he does foul less than when he was a freshman. It's just that he fouled so much as a freshman he could make improvement and still foul way too much.

To be fair, he does foul less than when he was a freshman. It's just that he fouled so much as a freshman he could make improvement and still foul way too much.

32 minutes today; 2 fouls; we win; total coincidence I'm sure

IMO Lynch is picking up cheap fouls or the "dumb" foul because he is on help side or trying to recover back to his man. This was very true in the Maryland game where Murphy was getting burnt inside and outside. Lynch is doing his job defensively but is picking up fouls because the other guys are not in the correct position. Our help side defensive rotations were very late during this losing streak. Pick up the defense and we are all good.

I would wager that the vast majority of Lynch's fouls are on his own guy. The foul you're referencing Murphy wasn't burnt, he was in good defensive position. Lynch wants blocks, so he swats and stabs at the ball stupidly.

Today he did a GREAT job of walling up and blocking shots without swatting. Was a very nice game by Reggie. Coach finally told him to not foul ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I would wager that the vast majority of Lynch's fouls are on his own guy. The foul you're referencing Murphy wasn't burnt, he was in good defensive position. Lynch wants blocks, so he swats and stabs at the ball stupidly.

Today he did a GREAT job of walling up and blocking shots without swatting. Was a very nice game by Reggie. Coach finally told him to not foul ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

And that's why Pitino played Curry rather than Murphy in the end of today's game? Curry plays better team defense. Murphy is out of position. Did you watch that Nichols kid score at will against Murphy?

And that's why Pitino played Curry rather than Murphy in the end of today's game? Curry plays better team defense. Murphy is out of position. Did you watch that Nichols kid score at will against Murphy?

Yep. Murphy just stinks. He's the worst play who plays any significant amount of time on the team.

Back to Lynch. Lynch has poor lateral quickness. When he gets beat, or when he tries to shuffle over on the weak side, he is often late because of his poor lateral quickness. He overcompensates his lack of quickness by fouling.

Of all of the returning players this year, Murphy was the one that I was most excited about. He had one really great game this year with 20 rebounds, but mostly has not been a major contributor. His defense has been suspect. What happened? Why has he not developed year two from year one? Last year it seemed that if he got the ball within 2 or 3 dribbles of the hoop you expected him to slam it down. Not this year. This year you expect him to turn it over.

What the hell are you talking about? I referenced one play re:Murphy.

Of all of the returning players this year, Murphy was the one that I was most excited about. He had one really great game this year with 20 rebounds, but mostly has not been a major contributor. His defense has been suspect. What happened? Why has he not developed year two from year one? Last year it seemed that if he got the ball within 2 or 3 dribbles of the hoop you expected him to slam it down. Not this year. This year you expect him to turn it over.

Now that is what I was talking about. If he can do what he did last night consistently we won't just make the Show we will win a couple of games there.

Top Bottom