13th place

Great post. One thing to add- when Haskins came in Dutcher left him an incoming class that would yield two bonafide All Big Ten players in Newbern and Burton. Haskins inherited a very, very bad team but with young building blocks. Pitino inherited a team with older players who were good but not all Big Ten types and no good younger players. Starting strong and losing momentum was nearly locked in for Pitino. Pitino has it going the right direction.

Agreed.

I thought all Pitino needed to win in the Big Ten was more talent. That's what the mantra was last year. He's not winning in the Big Ten. He is on track to be lucky to break even in the Big Ten this season. Even if he does break even this season, he is still below a .300 win percentage in the Big Ten for his career.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I'd say they are one or two wins from where they should be, a 5-5 start to this season would not have been a bad start, a 6-4 record would have been ideal, they have some work to do being 4-6 but they are not out of getting in the NCAA yet.

Who would have expected them to win @Purdue, @Illinois, @Northwestern at the start? In addition, they would have 2 more OT w a chance to win. Overall, they are 4 & 5 in tight games in the Big Ten, not bad. With any luck, they would be 6 & 4 right now. They have a shot to be as high as 10-8. The preseason polls had them ranked 12th. This indeed could be a turnaround. Ride it out!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I'd say they are one or two wins from where they should be, a 5-5 start to this season would not have been a bad start, a 6-4 record would have been ideal, they have some work to do being 4-6 but they are not out of getting in the NCAA yet.
If you were expecting 5-5 at this point, you were the most optimistic person in America. After Dante Fitzgerald, 6'8" shooter/rebounder, went down, there is no way you could expect Gophers to do well this year. Lynch, Coffey, Springs, Curry, Hurt, McBrayer and Konate all unproven at this level. Of that group, we can pretty much see what to expect.

Overall, the Gophers are still lacking good depth on the squad. They are two good players from contending, but they'd have to be real good. Seriously, Curry, Hurt, Konate, Murph and McBray are below average for league.

Said 10-8 from the beginning and have no doubt what so ever about that. Pitino deserves credit for getting them above the bottom. I do think he is a better coach in the conference than all but Painter,BEILIEN ,Matta, Gard, and IZZO. This conference has a roster of coaches that pales in comparison to the Big 12 or the ACC. Keep moving up !

Said 10-8 from the beginning and have no doubt what so ever about that. Pitino deserves credit for getting them above the bottom. I do think he is a better coach in the conference than all but Painter,BEILIEN ,Matta, Gard, and IZZO. This conference has a roster of coaches that pales in comparison to the Big 12 or the ACC. Keep moving up !

The Big 12 has better coaches than the B1G? The conference where the same team has won it 12 years in a row? Please.

Seriously, Curry, Hurt, Konate, Murph and McBray are below average for league.

If your talking about below average for B1G I would disagree with your take on Curry, Murphy and McBrayer. They are all better than below average for the conference.

Hurt is a freshman that hasn't played a whole lot. No idea what type of player he could turn into at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If your talking about below average for B1G I would disagree with your take on Curry, Murphy and McBrayer. They are all better than below average for the conference.

Hurt is a freshman that hasn't played a whole lot. No idea what type of player he could turn into at this point.

They are simply below the 50th percentile of performers. I agree they are better than below average. Right now, the team is just mostly made up of below average players. Curry should improve, Murph has some days that look great, so I may revisit him to mid-range. My real point is that they still don't have enough talent to expect too much.

Agreed. Especially Curry as a freshman has been a big contributor. That Purdue game in OT was tremendous.

Why does it take a team meeting to stop a losing streak? It says to me that whatever the coach is saying is not getting through to the players. The players had to be fed up with the results of their play and take matters into their own hands.

That gap between message and action is troubling. I place it on the shoulders of the coach. He recruited players who don't understand the messages he is giving them. This has gone on for four seasons. Given how much player turnover this program had there should be players being recruited who get what the coach is saying. The only way it can have gone on this long is either the coach doesn't know what he is saying or he is recruiting players who refuse to listen to him.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

Why does it take a team meeting to stop a losing streak? It says to me that whatever the coach is saying is not getting through to the players. The players had to be fed up with the results of their play and take matters into their own hands.

That gap between message and action is troubling. I place it on the shoulders of the coach. He recruited players who don't understand the messages he is giving them. This has gone on for four seasons. Given how much player turnover this program had there should be players being recruited who get what the coach is saying. The only way it can have gone on this long is either the coach doesn't know what he is saying or he is recruiting players who refuse to listen to him.

We get it dude. You are troubled.

Have u ever watch a game? This roster and team is so improved from past season because of recruiting and getting the right players here. Coffey,springs, lynch, curry what great recruits who are great fits for this program.

Have u ever watch a game? This roster and team is so improved from past season because of recruiting and getting the right players here. Coffey,springs, lynch, curry what great recruits who are great fits for this program.
I have watched so many games this year. Enough that I have won the predict the score thread four times this year, three of them during the Big Ten season.

This team meeting either builds a bridge between the team and the coach or it widens the trench between them. Players playing better means little unless they work together as a team and get good outside information and ideas from their coach.

We get it dude. You are troubled.

We get it dude. You only want the high points.

I have watched so many games this year. Enough that I have won the predict the score thread four times this year, three of them during the Big Ten season.

This team meeting either builds a bridge between the team and the coach or it widens the trench between them. Players playing better means little unless they work together as a team and get good outside information and ideas from their coach.

Really? Team meetings happen all of the time; sometimes they help, sometimes they don't. What really needs to happen is that your point guard has to hit a couple of more shots from the field, raising his shooting average to between 40-45%, instead of between 20-25%. The difference would have been a couple of wins, which completely changes the narrative of many.

Really? Team meetings happen all of the time; sometimes they help, sometimes they don't. What really needs to happen is that your point guard has to hit a couple of more shots from the field, raising his shooting average to between 40-45%, instead of between 20-25%. The difference would have been a couple of wins, which completely changes the narrative of many.
And it took a team meeting to get the message through? The coach had not been saying that, or was it contrary to what the coach wanted?

And it took a team meeting to get the message through? The coach had not been saying that, or was it contrary to what the coach wanted?

The team meeting that is being referred to could have been about anything. From going out on a night before a game to not moving quick enough on the weak side on defense to making the extra pass offense. We have no idea what was discussed. A number of players were obviously pressing to try to take over on their own and taking the blame for the losses, most notably Springs after one of the close losses. A coach can say a number of things, but until the players believe that it can happen, it's not going to.

The team meeting that is being referred to could have been about anything. From going out on a night before a game to not moving quick enough on the weak side on defense to making the extra pass offense. We have no idea what was discussed. A number of players were obviously pressing to try to take over on their own and taking the blame for the losses, most notably Springs after one of the close losses. A coach can say a number of things, but until the players believe that it can happen, it's not going to.

By your definition, last year's Twitter video of double coverage could be defined as a team meeting.

By your definition, last year's Twitter video of double coverage could be defined as a team meeting.

First off, you're making way to much out of this team meeting. It's not that big of a deal at all. Second, I have no idea what video that you're referring to, but if it is the one that got the players suspended, you're even a bigger idiot than I thought that you were.

First off, you're making way to much out of this team meeting. It's not that big of a deal at all. Second, I have no idea what video that you're referring to, but if it is the one that got the players suspended, you're even a bigger idiot than I thought that you were.
Your definition of team meeting creeps into the definition of team building activities. Neither is mutually exclusive, but the nature of the team activity needs to be focused on playing better on the court.

Your definition of team meeting creeps into the definition of team building activities. Neither is mutually exclusive, but the nature of the team activity needs to be focused on playing better on the court.

College and pro teams hold player only meetings all the time. Seriously not a big deal at all.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Coincidentally, I too had a private meeting last night; and I can tell you it was "intense".

dude your reading comprehension is reproachable. he said at the team meeting anything could be discussed. you're trying to be a jerk.

Edit: as opposed to a team meeting could be doing anything. (and you need the whole team there hence the video isn't a team meeting)

dude your reading comprehension is reproachable. he said at the team meeting anything could be discussed. you're trying to be a jerk.

Edit: as opposed to a team meeting could be doing anything. (and you need the whole team there hence the video isn't a team meeting)
Dude, your lateral thinking skills are weak.

I thought all Pitino needed to win in the Big Ten was more talent. That's what the mantra was last year. He's not winning in the Big Ten. He is on track to be lucky to break even in the Big Ten this season. Even if he does break even this season, he is still below a .300 win percentage in the Big Ten for his career.

Haskins got his squad's to a Sweet 16 and an Elite 8 in his first 4 years.

Yet his Big Ten win/loss record was just 26-46, with only SIX road wins in FOUR YEARS!!!

But that coach with the 26-46 B1G career win loss record after 4 seasons, got the Gophers further into the tourney than any other coach since the beginning of the NCAA tourney.

And what happens in March is really all that ever matters in the long run.

Haskins got his squad's to a Sweet 16 and an Elite 8 in his first 4 years.

Yet his Big Ten win/loss record was just 26-46, with only SIX road wins in FOUR YEARS!!!

But that coach with the 26-46 B1G career win loss record after 4 seasons, got the Gophers further into the tourney than any other coach since the beginning of the NCAA tourney.

And what happens in March is really all that ever matters in the long run.
Potential Grizzlies

Haskins Elite 8 squad of 1990 only won FOUR road games, and not one of those wins was against a ranked team.

This year's squad already has THREE road wins, including two vs Top 25 ranked teams.

in 13 years Clem was still under .500 in the conference and that includes vacated wins. MEDIOCRE

Haskins Elite 8 squad of 1990 only won FOUR road games, and not one of those wins was against a ranked team.

This year's squad already has THREE road wins, including two vs Top 25 ranked teams.

This is where timing matters. If you're right MSU wasn't ranked when we beat them on the road in 1990. But it happened and they just so happened to be a #1 seed in the NCAA tourney. I'd call that a pretty good road win.

This is where timing matters. If you're right MSU wasn't ranked when we beat them on the road in 1990. But it happened and they just so happened to be a #1 seed in the NCAA tourney. I'd call that a pretty good road win.

this.

Top Bottom