13th place

in 13 years Clem was still under .500 in the conference and that includes vacated wins. MEDIOCRE

And your point is? I mean, I narrowed the scope of what I was talking about to his first 4 years to point out how a coach could have a losing record in the B1G, yet still produce THE most successful NCAA tourney run in University of Minnesota Gopher Men's Basketball history.

I'm not trying to show how Clem was a "Great" coach.

But it seems to me that you think its really easy to find "Great" coaches out there that are not coaching somewhere else, under contract, and that if they are free to be hired, that they'd want to come and coach here up in the frozen tundra of Minnesota where our best NCAA finish is ONE SINGLE TRIP TO THE ELITE EIGHT.

Some people out there outside of Minnesota seriously do not think its possible to win here. There is a percentage of coaches out there who simply would not even consider taking the job, whether they were free to or not.

So to be honest, you should try to be patient with this young coach we got here.

Or not. lol, you have the right to do whatever you want. But you seem to be in the minority here and your efforts to seemingly go out of your way to come up with anything and to manipulate things however you can, so as to try to make a case against Pitino, are starting to seem kind of pathetic.

This is where timing matters. If you're right MSU wasn't ranked when we beat them on the road in 1990. But it happened and they just so happened to be a #1 seed in the NCAA tourney. I'd call that a pretty good road win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, you are right, they were unranked when we beat them in East Lansing, but just over a month later, they came to Williams Arena and they were ranked #14 in the country and they beat us by 2 pts in OT.

So you might be right? But why were they not ranked when we first played them? Maybe they weren't playing that good, maybe they had a starter out of the lineup for some reason? I can't remember, can you? I mean, if you only look at EOS rankings, then maybe it could be considered a good road win, and I do remember that they made the NCAA tourney, but that doesn't always mean that when we beat them that it was or should have been considered a good win.

But I do appreciate your bringing it up, I'm getting old and can't remember everything from way back then, lol.

Thank you for bumping this thread back so I could enjoy reading all the idiocy spewed by foliage, Ewert etc. Well done

Make that 4th place.

I love Clem and his teams in 89-90 and 96-97, but he could never recruit beyond the first 6-7 (7-8 before Charles Thomas got freaky). Connell Lewis, Rob Schoen****, Russ A, etc. playing too many minutes

I love Clem and his teams in 89-90 and 96-97, but he could never recruit beyond the first 6-7 (7-8 before Charles Thomas got freaky). Connell Lewis, Rob Schoen****, Russ A, etc. playing too many minutes
Clem had second-rate talent that he worked the piss out of (Coffey, Burton, et al) to make better. The Bobby Jackson exception sprung that team to greatness. I agree with the posters that this unit has more pinache and more potential. Clem's teams were generally Badgeresque.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Willie Burton was not a second rate talent that was coached up. He was extremely talented. 9th player picked in the first round in the NBA. Played 9 years in the NBA averaging 10 points a game as a pro.

Clem had second-rate talent that he worked the piss out of (Coffey, Burton, et al) to make better. The Bobby Jackson exception sprung that team to greatness. I agree with the posters that this unit has more pinache and more potential. Clem's teams were generally Badgeresque.

the '95-'96 recruiting class was ranked 11th in the nation.

the '95-'96 recruiting class was ranked 11th in the nation.
Wow, that I'd forgotten, Kaup. John T, Courtney, Eric H, Sam J--yes, that was a different level. It was more a compliment to this group's style. Thank you!

And I'm impressed with the people who still thought they were going to be ok, and more than ok. This from page 1, 1/28/17
I was wrong about 5 in a row but i still think this team makes the NCAA'S. The concern is again about giving up 59 in the 2nd half at home. THE points allowed defense is horrific. I am not campaigning for 49-48 games although winning that way is better than losing but you have to pay attention to how often do you lose when you give up 60,70 or 80. You will never recruit like a blue blood where you can score 90 give up 80 and win those types of games . Poor programs building up and sustaining that have done it by playing great defense. The Gophers are really easy to score on. That has to change. The offense is plenty good enough.

Voshon Lenard wasn't second rate talent either. I'd agree that the majority of his players needed to be coached up but he seemed to have a knack for always having one or two really talented guys on the roster for the lunchpail guys to work around.

Willie Burton was not a second rate talent that was coached up. He was extremely talented. 9th player picked in the first round in the NBA. Played 9 years in the NBA averaging 10 points a game as a pro.
Willie was 6'6, about 140 as a freshman. I was there Dude. He improved a ton while there.

January was not good for this team. February was amazing. Lets hope the upward trend continues into March

Well, I think that class was as follows:
- Jackson (JUCO)
- Jones (JUCO)
- James
- Thomas
- Lewis
- Tarver (had once played with Jason Kidd)

Seriously. For those who don't know...the biggest part of Tarver's bio in writeups was that he had played with Jason Kidd.

The '96-'97 incoming class with Loge, Sanden and Archambault was actually somewhat highly rated also. Then we redshirted all (or two) of them, then Loge left.

Feels so damn good to call out all these bipolar Gopher fans for jumping ship so early in the season.
I was one of them. No faith at first sign of distress. Longer term illness

Originally Posted by Mn foliage View Post
That's where we sit right now. Yes Richard, a lot of teams in the conference wish they were us. LOL!

Where did you go, asshat?

MN foliage is about as bipolar as a Gopherhole poster comes. He is currently running around Dinkytown w/ his homemade Gopher mascot outfit.

Well, I think that class was as follows:
- Jackson (JUCO)
- Jones (JUCO)
- James
- Thomas
- Lewis
- Tarver (had once played with Jason Kidd)

Seriously. For those who don't know...the biggest part of Tarver's bio in writeups was that he had played with Jason Kidd.

Can someone help me out with who this Jones guy is? I do not remember him at all, as I was a young Gopher fan at that time. Was he a big recruit? Why did he leave? Did he ever play for us?

Willie was 6'6, about 140 as a freshman. I was there Dude. He improved a ton while there.

Weight = talent?. Thats a new one on me.

#coacheslivesmatter

Can someone help me out with who this Jones guy is? I do not remember him at all, as I was a young Gopher fan at that time. Was he a big recruit? Why did he leave? Did he ever play for us?

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/j/jonesma03.html

His college stats are towards the bottom. Looks like he went from 8pts/3.2reb/1.2asst with the Gophers to 20.8/5.1/1.7 with UCF.He wouldn't of had those numbers if he'd stayed(imo), but he would've helped. Looking for more playing time I imagine.

I expect to see empty seats at the Barn for upcoming home games. I don't see how season ticket holders can want anyone to be subjected to this fiasco.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

Looks pretty full tonight.

Top Bottom