Intriguing artcile from Pioneer Press

cduff

Reaction score
Jedd Fisch openly discusses the possibilities of Gray & Weber on the field at the same time.
"The quarterback position is a weird position, because there's only one that plays a snap," Fisch said. "Sometimes if your second quarterback is a great playmaker, and he's standing next to you the whole game, you have to ask yourself, are you utilizing your personnel exactly the way you should? (But) if your starting quarterback is a great player, when do you ever take him out?

"So, as a staff we're spinning around all of our ideas. We're trying to come up with the best possible way to still utilize our playmaker but still keep one of our best players (Weber) on the field."

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_13236508

Find a way to get your best athletes on the field. Good. That should help keep the D guessing and future opponents more things to prepare for.

In the meantime, the Gopher must continue to work to effectively pound the rock and play solid D. Whatever package is on the field, we need improved execution with better players than we have had in the past. That's what will win football games.

Sure, put Gray in, but I hope he can take a hit and hang onto the ball as well as Weber, cuz Weber takes some huge hits, hangs on to the ball and gets up and is coherent.

It is the reason I forgive some of those odd throws he makes.

When asked yesterday on Sid/Dave at the Fair about Hageman, Brew said, "We want to have an elite defense so we need to have elite athletes on that side of the ball". Obvious statement, however when is the last time you heard that from a coach at the U?

I think the comment made by Weber about Gray making "insane catches" is more interesting. He all but said he would be passing to Gray once the wildcat packages come out. I am not worried about Gray not being able to hang onto the ball. He took some big hits in the UA AA game his senior year, so until he proves otherwise, I am completely comfortable with him running it. Especially with 4.48 speed.

Sure, put Gray in, but I hope he can take a hit and hang onto the ball as well as Weber, cuz Weber takes some huge hits, hangs on to the ball and gets up and is coherent.

I love this quote because I've never seen this articulated before and it really hits home on both accounts for myself. Weber's been an ironman. Hopefully not taking snaps from 3 yds behind the l.o.s. can remedy the odd throws.

I guess we got our answer about MarQueis Gray taking a hit.

Top Bottom