Q&A: Race Thompson Talks Recruiting, Up to 10 Scholarship Offers and Counting

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Q&A: Race Thompson Talks Recruiting, Up to 10 Scholarship Offers and Counting
By Chris Monter

http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/boards/forumdisplay.php?3

Race Thompson, a 6-foot-7 junior forward from Robbinsdale (MN) Armstrong, is one of the top big men in the Midwest in the Class of 2018 and is considered the number three prospect from Minnesota in the class. Thompson received a scholarship offer from Minnesota last year.

Thompson is averagibg 21.4 points and 9.6 rebounds per game this past year for the Falcons, who are off to a 7-4 start. He scored in double figures in all 11 games, including a season-best 36 points versus Totino-Grace and has had four other games of 20 or more points.

Gopher Hole caught up with Thompson recently to talk about the latest on his recruitment and junior season.

Gopher Hole: You started the season with some tough opponents like DeLaSalle (five-time defending Class 3A state champion) and Tartan in the Breakdown Tip-Off Classic. Do you like playing those tough games to get you ready for conference play and hopefully, a strong showing in the postseason?

Race Thompson: Oh yes, definitely. I think to start the season out with some of the toughest teams in the state, it shows where we are at and shows that we can hang with anybody in the state. We lost those games by just a little bit at the end of the games. We are definitely, I think, we have a chance to be a good team this year.

Gopher Hole: Does those losses shows you that maybe one of two possessions and you win those games?

Race Thompson: I think the only reason that we lost both of those games was because it was the beginning of the season and our nerves were high. We had lots of turnovers. Lots of missed layup, missed shots that we usually knock down. If we hit those shots, if we hit them at the end of the season, they are going to fall and we are definitely going to be able to make a run.

Gopher Hole: Now that you are an upperclassmen, how does your role change for your sophomore season to this year?

Race Thompson: My role has definitely changed. I am more of a leader now. I have high expectations coming into this season and I am trying to fulfill them and just help out my teammates as best I can.

Gopher Hole: Have you had a chance to go to any college basketball games so far this season?

Race Thompson: I went to Creighton versus UMKC and I went to Minnesota once against Arkansas. I also visited Nebraska.

Gopher Hole: What was the experience like at Creighton? I know that they have a great facility down there and they are playing extremely well so far this year. What was that experience like?

Race Thompson: I liked it a lot. Creighton, I liked the style of play. It was a very good visit. I'll definitely be back there.

Gopher Hole: How about the Minnesota game versus Arkansas? I think that they had quite a few other local kids there. What was that experience like?

Race Thompson: It was good to see the local talent getting together, going to the Gopher game, talking about recruiting. Just getting together and getting to know each other even better, so it was definitely good to see those guys.

Gopher Hole: Minnesota had a disappointing season last year, but are playing a lot better this year. Does that makes you look at them differently now that they are playing better?

Race Thompson: I wouldn't say that it makes me look at it differently. I am going to look at them as the hometown team, but that doesn't change anything really.

Gopher Hole: What have you seen from them differently from last year?

Race Thompson: I would say that they play a lot better together now with Amir and Hurt, the freshman getting in there and I like that helps them a lot.

Gopher Hole: You had Minnesota and Iowa State at your recent game. Do you notice or did you already know that they were coming to watch you?

Race Thompson: I knew that they were coming, but it doesn't really change how I am going to play. It's just that they are there and they want to see me play.

Gopher Hole: It is a little different than the AAU, when they want you to know that they are around. They have the school logo on their shirts and want to be as visible as possible, so they want to be seen. Is that a little different, too?

Race Thompson: AAU is definitely different. There is a lot more coaches coming to AAU games, because there are other teams. You can recruited a lot harder in AAU, but the coaches that come to these games, they pretty much already know about you, already watched you. They know what you can do. They are just showing some love.

Gopher Hole: I know that you have been working hard on your game to improve yourself as an all-around player. What things have you been really focusing on to continue to get better and better?

Race Thompson: Shooting and just being a better leader. Being a better leader definitely helps you on and off the court and having better relationships with your teammates, so that definitely has helped me a lot.

Gopher Hole: How many offers are you up to right now?

Race Thompson: Ten. (Nebraska, Iowa State, Minnesota, North Dakota, Northern Iowa, Arizona State, Marquette, Northwestern, Creighton and Kansas State.)

Gopher Hole: What was the most recent one?

Race Thompson: I would say Creighton. It was in July. I haven't gotten any since AAU season.

Gopher Hole: What schools are you hearing from besides the ten that have already offered you?

Race Thompson: Texas, Michigan State, Michigan. Indiana just got in the mix.

Gopher Hole: Any other plans to go to any others things in the next couple of months?

Race Thompson: I don't think that I am going to go anywhere during the season. I think that I am going to Iowa State actually during the season. That is the only one that I am going to be at. I'll probably be at another Minnesota game.

With the lineup of offers he lists wouldn't MN be the favorite?

Top Bottom