2017 Gopher Baseball Season Thread

Maryland coach tossed. F bombs galore picked up by the B1G network microphones LOL.

Gophers now will not play Northwestern until 9:00 c.t. tomorrow morning because of B1G's stupid 10:00 p.m. curfew rule. Don't know why the B1G feels the need to have their own curfew I believe the NCAA uses a 11:00 p.m. curfew and most every other conference just goes with that. Whoever is in charge of the tournament made a major mistake too with the times first game starts at 10:00 local time when previous years it has always been a 9:00 local start. Last years scheduled times were 9 a.m., 1 p.m., 5p.m., and 9 p.m. this year they've tried to go 10 a.m., 1:30 p.m., 5 p.m., and 8:30 p.m. so not very good management by someone within the B1G.

Interesting the Big Ten is making the winners bracket play at 9 am Friday morning. I would have thought they would have scheduled it for the 4:00 pm. Two 9:00 am starts doesn't seem right and they are letting the host team play the late afternoon game which will be an elimination game. Go Gophers!

Loud and clear haha. I definitely agreed with his argument though seemed like a easy hit by pitch call.

Bad call by the ump. I think he also called the ump an f'ing piece of **** after he got tossed. The Dale Carnegie method.

Maryland coach tossed. F bombs galore picked up by the B1G network microphones LOL.

I'd be pissed too that was weak. Use common sense, there is no chance in hell that kid is going intentionally take 90 MPH to the elbow unprotected

Pettersen just knocked a 2-run double in the top of the 6th to put the Gophers up 6-5 over Northwestern. Gophers were down 5-2 after the 3rd inning.

Shannon is throwing batting practice. Way too long a leash.

Better not be in at the start of the next inning.

But the Gophers tie it back up 7-7 in the 7th.

Tie it up with a HR. 7-7 top of the 7th.
Sounds like our Super Fan is there LOL.

Gophers lose 11-7. Just not a good day for the pitching staff. Way too many free passes and a very short start usually spell trouble. 14 was ejected while making a pitching change in the 7th. Umps had just missed Vavra being pulled off the base on a stolen base instead calling him out in the top of the 7th and then suddenly a very tight zone in the bottom of the 7th that helped Northwestern's leadoff hitter walk and the 2nd batter in a pretty advantageous count. The Gophers dugout was also warned in the 9th and they had a right to be chirping. Northwestern seemed to get the benefit of every close call. One of the big calls was a called strike 3 on Kozicky with a full count and nobody out in the 9th and runners on 1st and 2nd. The pitch hadn't been called a strike all day and was off the plate as well as low and should have gave the Gophers bases loaded nobody out with the tying run at the plate. Gophers will face Indiana later today in a loser out game and now need to win 3 in a row just to get to the B1G Championship game which isn't very likely.

Northwestern wins 11-7 final. We get Indiana again and the winner likely gets Nebraska. No good.

Pathetic effort by the pitching staff. We just don't have the arms. Some of the breaking pitches we throw are right out of American Legion baseball.

Pathetic effort by the pitching staff. We just don't have the arms. Some of the breaking pitches we throw are right out of American Legion baseball.

The submarine pitcher looked like he was topping 45 mph...

Iowa beats Nebraska 2-0 and hopefully the Gophers will earn the opportunity to face them tomorrow. Gophers and Indiana should get started around 5. Will be interesting to see who both the Gophers and Indiana start on the mound tonight. For the Gophers it will be either SO Reggie Meyer or SR Toby Anderson. Indiana used both pitchers who have been their Saturday and Sunday starters the past few weekends yesterday although the Sunday guy only threw 37 pitches in the 3 innings he pitched. Their other option is another pitcher who started against the Gophers when they played in the regular season but struggled the majority of the year and was later taken out of their rotation or maybe just trying to piece it together with their bullpen. I think both teams will score a decent amount of runs and it probably comes down to which teams pitching limits free passes.

Big momentum change already early on. Toby Hanson had a leadoff double for the Gophers in the bottom of the 2nd but Matt Stemper followed with a foul pop out and Jordan Smith and Luke Pettersen each stuck out looking to end the inning. Top of the 3rd Toby Anderson got ahead of the leadoff hitter 1-2 but quit attacking the zone and eventually walked him. Another 4 pitch walk and a miscommunication on a bunt followed and Indiana had the bases loaded and nobody out. Indiana would get a sac fly, a double steal, a single, and a sac fly before the inning finally ended. Just like that Indiana is up 3-0. Indiana is a fine offensive team on their own can't give them opportunities like we did this inning with 3 free passes and not surprisingly all 3 guys ended up scoring.

If I was John Anderson I'D be hitting the JC ranks for arms next year
As of now class is full and done. Could open up a spot if Coffey/Gilbreath go high enough in the draft and decide to sign or someone decides to transfer. There aren't any JC arms in the class but there are some quality pitching prospects coming in. They will be young on the mound but very talented and the offense should still be excellent especially if Coffey is back.

Nick Lackney to replace Toby Anderson after 4.1 innings and Gophers down 5-0. Anderson was hit hard this inning but should have 1 less run on the board and 1 more out great throw from Kozicky that should have had the guy at the plate but Stemper dropped it.

As of now class is full and done. Could open up a spot if Coffey/Gilbreath go high enough in the draft and decide to sign or someone decides to transfer. There aren't any JC arms in the class but there are some quality pitching prospects coming in. They will be young on the mound but very talented and the offense should still be excellent especially if Coffey is back.

My concern is how the pitching gets developed with such a young and inexperienced pitching coach.
I would also think it would be a negative in recruiting. TO was a big loss in several ways.

Indiana will go to the bullpen here in the bottom of the 6th. Big part of the game if the Gophers are gonna get back in it. Trailing 6-1 but runners on 1st and 2nd and nobody out for Toby Hanson.

My concern is how the pitching gets developed with such a young and inexperienced pitching coach.
I would also think it would be a negative in recruiting. TO was a big loss in several ways.
I can see that. I think 14 has taken on a bigger role in pitching. Nobody will ever be able to replace TO but Ty is a very valuable piece for this program. Glowicki just talked yesterday about some of the subtle things Ty has picked up this year to help guys. He talked about how when he was struggling during conference play around the Illinois series Ty adjusted his focus point as he thought he was struggling a little with location and picking up the target late and Glowicki said the adjustment has worked great.

Indiana will go to the bullpen here in the bottom of the 6th. Big part of the game if the Gophers are gonna get back in it. Trailing 6-1 but runners on 1st and 2nd and nobody out for Toby Hanson.
Hanson just misses a hanging curve flying out to right field, Stemper is called out on strikes on a pitch inside and a delayed call from Perry Costello as well, Smith comes through with a 2 out double to score 2 to cut the lead to 6-3, Pettersen with a 2 out single to score Smith on a close call at the plate 6-4 after 6. Close call at the plate shouldn't have mattered anyway as the Indiana catcher was blocking the plate again without the ball which is illegal and same home plate ump as Wednesday when 14 argued he was doing it a few different times. Really hoping one of the Gophers just plants him in to the ground on one of those close plays one time.

Indiana gets a solo homerun in the top of the 7th. Another chance for the Gophers hottest hitters but can't produce this time. Coffey grounded out with runners on 1st and 2nd. Hanson strikes out looking with runners on 2nd and 3rd to end the inning couple of generous strike calls from Perry Costello behind the plate there. 7-4 headed to the 8th.

Indiana going to the bullpen again bases loaded nobody out in the bottom of the 8th. Traxler scheduled to hit but wouldn't be surprised to see a pinch hitter with Indiana bringing in a righty.

Mezzenga with a pinch hit double off the 1st base bag cuts the lead to 8-6 with runners on 2nd and 3rd nobody out. Estrada pinch hitting for Wilson.

Top Bottom