Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
Results 106 to 113 of 113
  1. #106

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rickman55 View Post
    Unless they win the Big Ten tournament I don't see them making the NCAA Tournament. Right now their RPI is in the mid 60's I believe which is 5th best in the Big Ten. The teams they have left to play all have RPI's in the 100's. I don't see them moving up much.
    They do play a ranked Cal State Fullerton team in a weekend series coming up.


  2. #107
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Mike Riley's old house.
    Posts
    3,686

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lincoln gopher View Post
    They do play a ranked Cal State Fullerton team in a weekend series coming up.
    It's Long Beach State. The Dirtbags!

  3. Default

    I think Long beach stat has a high RPI. If we run the table and take the series from Long Beach State, we'd be in the NCAA tourney, without having to win the Big Ten tournament. We'd probably have to go 12-2 or 13-1. Not impossible but not probable considering our stating pitching struggles.

  4. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rickman55 View Post
    Unless they win the Big Ten tournament I don't see them making the NCAA Tournament. Right now their RPI is in the mid 60's I believe which is 5th best in the Big Ten. The teams they have left to play all have RPI's in the 100's. I don't see them moving up much.
    The rest of the conference games won't really help you at all in the RPI but could hurt you so important to take care of business there. Although when you look the Gophers have moved up 4 spots since the beginning of the week and that is with beating #249 in the RPI yesterday. Win the games you should win the rest of the way and I think it will turn out alright. Something like a 11-3 finish to end the regular season at 35-15 and a RPI in the mid 45-50's would put you in a alright situation heading into the conference tournament. Long Beach State series in mid May could be huge to enhance the RPI. Think you would also get a bump no matter the RPI if you could find a way to win the regular season conference championship again and with the remaining conference opponents it is doable.

  5. #110

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by beavergopher View Post
    It's Long Beach State. The Dirtbags!
    My bad, wrong Cali school.

  6. #111
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Bracketville, MN
    Posts
    19,424
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default A look at the stretch run in the B1G

    Current B1G Tournament Seedings
    #1 Maryland (12-3)
    #2 Minnesota (8-4)
    #3 Nebraska (7-4-1)
    #4 Purdue (9-6)
    #5 Michigan (7-5)
    #6 Indiana (8-6-1)
    #7 Iowa (6-6)
    #8 Rutgers (4-5)
    Outside Looking In
    9 Northwestern (5-7)
    10 Michigan State (5-7)
    11 Ohio State (4-8)
    12 Illinois (3-9)
    13 Penn State (2-10)

    Easiest to Most Difficult Remaining B1G Schedules (opponents' B1G winning % in parentheses)
    1 Iowa (.292) -- Penn State, @ Michigan State, Ohio State, @ Illinois
    2 Nebraska (.333) -- @ Ohio State, Rutgers, Michigan State, @ Penn State
    3 Gophers (.359) -- Illinois, @ Penn State, Purdue
    4 Maryland (.423) -- @ Indiana, @ Illinois, Northwestern
    5 Michigan (.458) -- @ Rutgers, Ohio State, @ Purdue, @ Michigan State (2), Michigan State (1)
    6 Indiana (.462) -- Maryland, Penn State, @ Ohio State
    7 Rutgers (.469) -- Michigan, @ Rutgers, Illinois, @ Northwestern
    8 Michigan State (.531) -- @ Northwestern, Iowa, @ Nebraska, Michigan (2), @ Michigan (1)
    9 Purdue (.556) -- Northwestern, Michigan, @ Minnesota
    10 Ohio State (.569) -- Nebraska, @ Michigan, @ Iowa, Indiana
    T11 Northwestern (.588) -- Michigan State, @ Purdue, @ Maryland, Rutgers
    T11 Penn State (.588) -- @ Iowa, Minnesota, @ Indiana, Nebraska
    13 Illinois (.625) -- @ Minnesota, Maryland, @ Rutgers, Iowa

    What I glean from this is:

    (1) Maryland (12-3), the Gophers (8-4), Nebraska (7-4-1), Michigan (7-5), Indiana (8-6-1), and Iowa (6-6) are locks for the B1G Tournament. There are 6 of your qualifiers.

    (2) Purdue (9-6) is pretty close to a lock, but finishing with Michigan (home) and the Gophers (road) gives me pause.

    (3) Ohio State (4-8) is one of the B1G's best programs, but the Buckeyes' finishing stretch is brutal. Bucks will be sitting it out this year.

    (4) Rutgers (4-5), Michigan State (5-7), and Northwestern (5-7) are the 3 teams battling for what is likely the final spot in the B1G Tournament. I give a slight edge to the winner of this weekend's Michigan State-Northwestern series winner in Evanston.

    (5) If Rutgers sneaks into the tournament (via winning percentage) in part because it made minimal effort to hop on a plane and at least get the final 2 games of the Gophers series in, it's a joke. If the series is not made up, which appears will be the case, the B1G needs to step in and call (at least) 2 of the games forfeit losses for Rutgers. You're in the big time now, Rutgers, you don't fail to show up for an entire conference series because you had flight issues on the day you were leaving. You find another way and get there, even if it's a day late. The weather was absolutely gorgeous that weekend.
    Last edited by SelectionSunday; Today at 08:20 AM.

  7. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lincoln gopher View Post
    Losing to the Huskers is getting very old. The Huskers have dominated the Gophers since joining the B1G. I believe this makes it 13-3 in the Huskers favor. To add a little salt in the wound, 3 Minnesota kids had good weekends against the Gophers. Roskim, Altavilla and Paulkert all contributed to their series win.
    That's just weird. On the flip side Iowa has pretty much dominated Nebraska. And then I think Minnesota has kind of had Iowa number. I don't know what that number looks like though

    Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

  8. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SelectionSunday View Post
    Current B1G Tournament Seedings
    #1 Maryland (12-3)
    #2 Minnesota (8-4)
    #3 Nebraska (7-4-1)
    #4 Purdue (9-6)
    #5 Michigan (7-5)
    #6 Indiana (8-6-1)
    #7 Iowa (6-6)
    #8 Rutgers (4-5)
    Outside Looking In
    9 Northwestern (5-7)
    10 Michigan State (5-7)
    11 Ohio State (4-8)
    12 Illinois (3-9)
    13 Penn State (2-10)

    Easiest to Most Difficult Remaining B1G Schedules (opponents' B1G winning % in parentheses)
    1 Iowa (.292) -- Penn State, @ Michigan State, Ohio State, @ Illinois
    2 Nebraska (.333) -- @ Ohio State, Rutgers, Michigan State, @ Penn State
    3 Gophers (.359) -- Illinois, @ Penn State, Purdue
    4 Maryland (.423) -- @ Indiana, @ Illinois, Northwestern
    5 Michigan (.458) -- @ Rutgers, Ohio State, @ Purdue, @ Michigan State (2), Michigan State (1)
    6 Indiana (.462) -- Maryland, Penn State, @ Ohio State
    7 Rutgers (.469) -- Michigan, @ Rutgers, Illinois, @ Northwestern
    8 Michigan State (.531) -- @ Northwestern, Iowa, @ Nebraska, Michigan (2), @ Michigan (1)
    9 Purdue (.556) -- Northwestern, Michigan, @ Minnesota
    10 Ohio State (.569) -- Nebraska, @ Michigan, @ Iowa, Indiana
    T11 Northwestern (.588) -- Michigan State, @ Purdue, @ Maryland, Rutgers
    T11 Penn State (.588) -- @ Iowa, Minnesota, @ Indiana, Nebraska
    13 Illinois (.625) -- @ Minnesota, Maryland, @ Rutgers, Iowa

    What I glean from this is:

    (1) Maryland (12-3), the Gophers (8-4), Nebraska (7-4-1), Michigan (7-5), Indiana (8-6-1), and Iowa (6-6) are locks for the B1G Tournament. There are 6 of your qualifiers.

    (2) Purdue (9-6) is pretty close to a lock, but finishing with Michigan (home) and the Gophers (road) gives me pause.

    (3) Ohio State (4-8) is one of the B1G's best programs, but the Buckeyes' finishing stretch is brutal. Bucks will be sitting it out this year.

    (4) Rutgers (4-5), Michigan State (5-7), and Northwestern (5-7) are the 3 teams battling for what is likely the final spot in the B1G Tournament. I give a slight edge to the winner of this weekend's Michigan State-Northwestern series winner in Evanston.

    (5) If Rutgers sneaks into the tournament (via winning percentage) in part because it made minimal effort to hop on a plane and at least get the final 2 games of the Gophers series in, it's a joke. If the series is not made up, which appears will be the case, the B1G needs to step in and call (at least) 2 of the games forfeit losses for Rutgers. You're in the big time now, Rutgers, you don't fail to show up for an entire conference series because you had flight issues on the day you were leaving. You find another way and get there, even if it's a day late. The weather was absolutely gorgeous that weekend.
    Iowa could easily be sitting in a much different position. They lose two out of three vs Rutgers at home. If they sweep that series they are tied for second place. This has been a fun season though because there's no dominant team and everybody seems capable of beating each other. That makes it fun

    Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •