Excitement/interest for next season

How has your excitement/interest level for next season change with the PJ Fleck hire?

• +10

Votes: 58 42.3%
  • +5

Votes: 52 38.0%

Votes: 10 7.3%

Votes: 12 8.8%

Votes: 5 3.6%

• Total voters

Some Day...Maybe

Reaction score
Just wondering if people are more excited/interested for next season or less with the coaching change.

Just wondering if people are more excited/interested for next season or less with the coaching change.
I think of a couple posters that are disappointed, but I'm cautiously optimistic.

WAY more! I'm almost equally excited to see the recruiting process play out next year as dumb as that seems. We will hopefully see more excitement around this program than any time in the last 30 years. Should be fun to watch!

I should be more excited than I am. But, there is mixed feelings about the circumstances that have transpired.

There is still a dark cloud over TCF Bank Stadium.

Expectations will be higher for the offense to show some progress, while the bar is set pretty high for the defense. If there's a noticeable drop off expect the boo birds to show up. There will be predictable calls for patience, wait to get the right players in place, etc. Expectations will be very high for Fleck to land a top half of the Big Ten recruiting class.

I think many of the "old" fans are in wait and see mode, or "Show Me". I'm cautiously excited but things could go sideways for any number of reasons. if he can bring good showings vs the tougher teams AND recruit well AND beat the Badger excitement will erupt.

I am excited, but am anxious about it actually turning into more wins than last season.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I think Fleek is such a salesman that casual fans will be drawn in if the team has any success. But if the team struggles TCF will still be a 43,XXX ghost town.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm a bit apprehensive, Fleck has the potential, to be very good too great, He also has as much potential, to be a disaster. I'm reserving judgement there will be no in between. I could see TC making the team incrementally better and with it improved recruiting over time. The down side was the possibility of plateauing and shortfalls in fund raising. Mark Coyle is not cut out to be the face of the program, like Barry Alvarez at Wisconsin, so I understand the change, but I lost a lot of respect for Mark Coyle the way he went about it.

I should be more excited than I am. But, there is mixed feelings about the circumstances that have transpired.

There is still a dark cloud over TCF Bank Stadium.

I think Fleek is such a salesman that casual fans will be drawn in if the team has any success. But if the team struggles TCF will still be a 43,XXX ghost town.

Both of these are how I feel. I'm afraid everyone is buying into Fleck's snake oil so much that at the first sign of a step back (which is likely to happen see below) the buzz will be killed and there will be zero support.

The step back is likely not only because of Fleck and the new system and coaches but because of the unknowns on offense (QB and line) and the unknowns on defense (not only the suspensions but we lost myrick and travis)

Eight wins in the regular season, baby! More if Fleck can steal a game or two...Pasadena in 2019.

I really believe the new facilities will help with recruiting. As much as I don't like to get into an arm's race over facilities. We had to do something and it will make a difference.

I really believe the new facilities will help with recruiting. As much as I don't like to get into an arm's race over facilities. We had to do something and it will make a difference.

Relevance for next season?

I am very excited but have the same reservations as some other posts. I think we fill TCF until we either 1, lose to Oregon State, or 2, lose 2 in a row at any point. If, when, that happens the naysayers will fall back in "same old s#!+" and no show the rest of the way. I personally do believe PJF will find a way to get and keep more student butts in seats and that improved atmosphere will motivate some others to attend or stay.

Definition of a fan is to be excited at the prospects of a new season. I am +10! Fleck adds to that because of his enthusiasm and outward style. Haven't been this excited since the Lou Holtz 'era'. It will be a fun ride! Might be a roller coaster but fun nonetheless.

I'm excited for the future, but year one could be rough. If that happens, expect at least 1/2 of those who are now excited for the season to jump off the bandwagon.

I'm excited for the future, but year one could be rough. If that happens, expect at least 1/2 of those who are now excited for the season to jump off the bandwagon.

I agree...there is always a transition period that is painful but I am still optimistic. The future is bright for Gopher football...Fleck will do good things.

10+

I'm expecting a so-so season next season but how can people not be excited for upcoming seasons when you see that our recruiting rankings has already climbed? Claeys was a nice guy but he didn't generate any excitement from the casual fan and if his recruiting ranking is any indication, he didn't generate much excitement from recruited players either and that means missed dollars for the university.

Fleck is out meeting people in the city, going to local sporting events (he attended the Wolves game last night), and is really selling the university and football program. We need that.

We're in good hands.

I fully expect a mixed bag next year, new coach, new excitement, but breaking in a new quarterback and melding the players together and leaving distractions behind. I'd be happy if we win one we shouldn't and be competitive in all games. But excitement is definitely up and I'll be looking for some more tailgating swag

Relevance for next season?

Let me try to help you with this. The OP's poll "how has your excitement/interest level for next season change with the PJ Fleck hire?" #2Gopher is excited about the building of a successful football program and the new facilities that will be ready for Fleck's first class with a full year under his belt. I feel the same way. If this poll is taken again in one week after the decisions are made about our 10 suspended players, how many will stay one way or the other and how our recruiting class finishes out, I suspect the poll's results may be significantly different.

I put down +5. I am excited to see the direction the program will be going next year. I am not so sure about how elite our performance on the field will be.

This is how I feel as well. I'm excited for the overall future of the program, excited with how some of the recruiting has gone, and am excited with how future recruiting will go, but we will be breaking in a new QB next year and I just don't see us winning 9 games again. I'm ok with that because I would have expected the same no matter who our coach was, but there will be a lot of people who flip out.

-10 to +10 or somewhere in between. So many decisions for me to make.

My excitement is off the charts but more for the future than next season. I just don't know what to expect in year one. I've had no excitement for the program since the day kill resigned until we hired Fleck.

In 3 years the Vikings will be an afterthought. Fleck will bring out the minions of closet Gopher fans. TCF will be rocking and the " House of Glass " will be a sideshow. Teddy " bridge over troubled water" will be a shadow of his former self .

I am right there with those that are excited for the future and seeing what Fleck can do more so then being excited for next season specifically. I would be more excited for the coming season if the QB position were a bit more settled then it is. Tough to know what to expect from the offense when the most important position on the field is a massive question mark due to the previous staffs inability to recruit and develop the position.

I'm a +10 and I can't wait for the seemingly 6 man QB competition with no clear front runner.

+5 optimistic, but wondering in the rational part of my brain what they could do where I wouldn't be optimistic. :)

Top Bottom