Pitino on Springs' "TO" at the end: You were far away, so you weren't able to see it

GopherLady

Reaction score
Pitino on Springs' "TO" at the end: You were far away, so you weren't able to see it

...so I'll leave it at that.

When Mike Grimm asked if they missed it on the reply, he replied: No, they didn't miss it on the replay.

For those of you that didn't see it, Springs was fouled, and that wasn't called, which is why it went out of bounds.

Other Pitino post game comments:
• I thought we fought back hard, I didn't think we were ready to play from an intensity standpoint. Some things didn't go our way.
• 14 offensive boards - Akeem had 10 boards, Muph was good, Nate got in there, we're playing good bball, we just need to breakthrough and get a win.
• Not sure, you never know how guys can respond. We just weren't locked in from a D standpoint, glad that we fought through.
• On Nate Mason - I'm happy for him, when he's confident, he's one of the better guards in the league.

• Our guys are fighting, we've got to break through, we've got to find a way to win. We've lost 2 in OT, and get ready for the #1 team in the league.

I thought the jump ball immediately preceding the Springs no-call was very quick. Seemed to even out a little.

How is your team not ready to play from an intensity standpoint following a 3 game losing streak and a loss on your home court to your biggest rivals?

The officiating late was killer, but the Gophers looked horrible for ~16 minutes of a 40 minute game. You play ~60% of a game and lose by a possession or two it's tough to blame officiating.

Will Pitino get to coach his good recruits this next year and the year after? This is starting to snowball quickly.

I thought the jump ball immediately preceding the Springs no-call was very quick. Seemed to even out a little.

It was. Not to mention it was not called a jump ball by the official who was closest and had the best view. I thought it evened out. Saw the Springs one as a make-up call.

It was. Not to mention it was not called a jump ball by the official who was closest and had the best view. I thought it evened out. Saw the Springs one as a make-up call.

Of course there was the Lynch "travel", no foul called when Coffey was clobbered, and hen the foul on the Mason/Coffey trap that looked clean. The last 2 minutes was not a good stretch for the refs.

The travel on Lynch late seemed questionable at best, and I wasn't sure about the foul on Mason when he and Coffey were making the trap at half-court.

I'd also like to point out that they had a 35.7% FT shooter hit 6 of 7.

The refs did not make the Gophers go through one of their offensive vanishing acts in the first half, and fall behind by 17 points.

Right now, this team plays well enough to stay close, but they can't make the plays they need to win a tight game. Yes, they're young - but it's still frustrating to watch.

Of course there was the Lynch "travel", no foul called when Coffey was clobbered, and hen the foul on the Mason/Coffey trap that looked clean. The last 2 minutes was not a good stretch for the refs.

Lynch absolutely traveled. Pitino was upset because he thought there was a foul before the travel. I think they could have called a foul on it, but the contact was minimal. Honestly didn't go back to take a second look at the Coffey one. Didn't look good in real time, but it wouldn't be the first time if it was something that looked like a bad non-call in real time and turned out to be correct.

I agree the Mason/Coffey trap looked pretty clean, and am pretty sure what happened there was the referees anticipating a foul. It would have made some sense for the Gophs to foul on purpose as soon as they crossed halfcourt, and I really think the official was anticipating this and didn't realize how perfect of a trapping situation it was. A lot of times the refs anticipate fouls at the end of games and blow their whistle pretty quickly. Usually beneficial to both teams, since the team that is fouling gets the quick foul they want, and the player getting fouled doesn't have to get hacked to death before they finally blow a whistle.

The refs were not even close to costing us the game as some on here will lead you to believe. (Some of those same people have already said the reffing was the worst they've seen in ten years after about 4 different games this year.) Refs make mistakes, and sometimes close calls don't go our way. It is what it is. That's basketball. The reality is that we lost the game when we didn't show up until about 5 minutes before halftime, and not because of any officiating decisions.

The refs did not make the Gophers go through one of their offensive vanishing acts in the first half, and fall behind by 17 points.

Right now, this team plays well enough to stay close, but they can't make the plays they need to win a tight game. Yes, they're young - but it's still frustrating to watch.

Yeah, that first half performance before the run at the end was super frustrating to watch. If the team does anything during that stretch they could have potentially won this game fairly comfortably because things like that run probably would still have happened but they wouldn't have been in such a massive hole when it started.

Watching this team you can see a really good team just below the surface, just need to figure out how to bust through.

Lynch absolutely traveled. Pitino was upset because he thought there was a foul before the travel. I think they could have called a foul on it, but the contact was minimal. Honestly didn't go back to take a second look at the Coffey one. Didn't look good in real time, but it wouldn't be the first time if it was something that looked like a bad non-call in real time and turned out to be correct.

I agree the Mason/Coffey trap looked pretty clean, and am pretty sure what happened there was the referees anticipating a foul. It would have made some sense for the Gophs to foul on purpose as soon as they crossed halfcourt, and I really think the official was anticipating this and didn't realize how perfect of a trapping situation it was. A lot of times the refs anticipate fouls at the end of games and blow their whistle pretty quickly. Usually beneficial to both teams, since the team that is fouling gets the quick foul they want, and the player getting fouled doesn't have to get hacked to death before they finally blow a whistle.

The refs were not even close to costing us the game as some on here will lead you to believe. (Some of those same people have already said the reffing was the worst they've seen in ten years after about 4 different games this year.) Refs make mistakes, and sometimes close calls don't go our way. It is what it is. That's basketball. The reality is that we lost the game when we didn't show up until about 5 minutes before halftime, and not because of any officiating decisions.

The Lynch play looked awkward for sure, but looked to me like he didn't move his pivot foot. Maybe I'm wrong.

And not too many people are saying that the refs are the only reason they lost. But they were bad down the stretch so they deserve some criticism as well in my opinion.

The Lynch play looked awkward for sure, but looked to me like he didn't move his pivot foot. Maybe I'm wrong.

And not too many people are saying that the refs are the only reason they lost. But they were bad down the stretch so they deserve some criticism as well in my opinion.

Fair enough. Guess I get tired of seeing the comments about refs after just about every loss. It's fine to see a comment here and there about officiating, I get that. But it's annoying when there are like three different threads that have gone down the officiating rabbit hole.

It was frustrating to see us actually making a few winning plays at the very when the refs completely screwed up the last few minutes. We did such a great job trapping and stealing the ball, which would've been such a quick and easy bucket, but instead OSU was rewarded with two shots for dribbling right into the trap and losing the ball.

Top Bottom