STrib: Empty seats prove hockey fans unwilling to 'buy-in' to North Star College Cup

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Jason:

Bob Motzko hoped Tuesday’s press release announcing the end of the North Star College Cup could be avoided.

The St. Cloud State coach said after his team won last year’s tournament, “What’s going to make it go, and that’s what we have to have patience with, is the buy-in from the fans. I think there is some things that we have to pay with and let the thing continue, so we can continue to come down here.”

The Gophers announced Tuesday the tournament, created to keep the Minnesota rivalries intact after conference realignment, would end after its fourth year this weekend at Xcel Energy Center.

Fans showed little interest in the event despite the regular Top 20 matchups and competitive games it produced, and the empty seats at Xcel Energy Center were too many to ignore.

http://www.startribune.com/empty-se...o-buy-in-to-north-star-college-cup/411787876/

Go Gophers!!

I'll quasi miss the games. I won't miss navigating the Grand Day Parade route (although that was easier than navigating St. Patrick day drunks during the WCHA final five. Thus ends a fairly long run of St. Paul college hockey tournaments: The Michigan, Michigan State vs. Wisconsin, Minnesota matchups and the WCHA tournament (minus the Target Center years).

Top Bottom