STrib: Dupree McBrayer accepts new role coming off the Gophers bench

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Marcus:

The conversation only lasted five minutes when Gophers coach Richard Pitino spoke to Dupree McBrayer about a new role coming off the bench.

McBrayer could have showed frustration over losing his starting job to senior Akeem Springs. But the 6-foot-5 sophomore guard accepted his coach's decision and was ready to move on.

"I always thought about doing it, but I didn’t want to mess with it when we were winning,” Pitino said of the switch. “It provides a little bit more versatility and depth coming off the bench. Dupree doesn’t care. I had a (quick) conversation about it. He said, ‘Don’t worry about me, I just want to win.’”

“I kind of like it, honestly, a spark off the bench,” McBrayer said. “Akeem is one of the leaders of the team. He’s a vet. He deserved it. He worked for it. Nothing’s wrong with that role.”

http://www.startribune.com/dupree-mcbrayer-accepts-new-role-coming-off-the-gophers-bench/411679286/

Go Gophers!!

per Marcus:

The conversation only lasted five minutes when Gophers coach Richard Pitino spoke to Dupree McBrayer about a new role coming off the bench.

McBrayer could have showed frustration over losing his starting job to senior Akeem Springs. But the 6-foot-5 sophomore guard accepted his coach's decision and was ready to move on.

"I always thought about doing it, but I didn’t want to mess with it when we were winning,” Pitino said of the switch. “It provides a little bit more versatility and depth coming off the bench. Dupree doesn’t care. I had a (quick) conversation about it. He said, ‘Don’t worry about me, I just want to win.’”

“I kind of like it, honestly, a spark off the bench,” McBrayer said. “Akeem is one of the leaders of the team. He’s a vet. He deserved it. He worked for it. Nothing’s wrong with that role.”

http://www.startribune.com/dupree-mcbrayer-accepts-new-role-coming-off-the-gophers-bench/411679286/

Go Gophers!!
McBrayer knows a lot more than most folks here at the GH. So many people pine for a "starting" role when the most important thing is winning. McBrayer seems like a classy kid.

Awesome attitude by McBrayer about this. As a coach this is exactly how you would want a young player to approach this situation.

And if the Gophers starting this year become a year over year deep into the season tourney contending team then he knows that he could yet have 100 games remaining as a Gopher,and perhaps many or most as a starter.

Top Bottom