Fox 9: AD Mark Coyle belives better days ahead for Gophers Football

So easy there Buck Rogers. You're "facts" don't support your argument. They have been threatened with Expulsion, but since they chose to appeal, the decision does not stand. The facts you provided, as written, say they will be expelled if they just take the punishment, which the players did not. Hence, they are all in school, taking classes and awaiting the outcome of the appeals process, so in FACT, they have not been expelled, only threatened with expulsion as of right now. It may be a formality given how this was all handled, but the players have not be Expelled. Yet. My apologies if this FACT doesn't mesh with your OPINION.

Fair enough, and that's my fault for not completely understanding when the expulsions/suspensions go into effect. However, my main point is this still comes from Kaler's side of things. Do you really think Coyle was going to raise the middle finger to his boss and allow the players to play in the bowl game knowing they could be expelled and/or suspended within the first few weeks of this semester?

Fair enough, and that's my fault for not completely understanding when the expulsions/suspensions go into effect. However, my main point is this still comes from Kaler's side of things. Do you really think Coyle was going to raise the middle finger to his boss and allow the players to play in the bowl game knowing they could be expelled and/or suspended within the first few weeks of this semester?

From several reports, yes (though I admit I don't know if Kaler was involved in the offer), they offered to reinstate the second 5 players before the General Counsel advised against it without clearing it with the accuser first

Yeah. I hope we can finally get an AD and president who will commit to the athletics department. I just wish we would invest in a $180 million training facility. Finally pay a head coach a competitive wage, say $3.5M/year and pay for good assistants. Yup, I really hope we can find someone to finally do that.

Yeah, we've been elevated to almost average!

Something to consider: using 2016 salaries for the coaches that remain from before and the reported salaries, we're now paying Fleck at the mean and below the average.

And consider this, here are a list of there coaches making less than Fleck using 2016 numbers:

Fitzgerald
Riley
Chryst
Smith

Ash, Durkin, and Allen are below him as well too, but that makes more sense. I like the Fleck hire, but an argument can be made that by handling the situation the way we did, we over paid -- mostly due to timing and political pressure. Except he reportedly overpaid for Babers at Syracuse too ($2.5MM). An equal case can be made that overpaying is the right investment to make it if works out ok. You've invested more in the coach, so you expect him to be more invested in you when success comes (as long as more money comes with the success as well). It could also just be the market - Purdue ended up paying Broughm about the same in their time of desperation as well.

If this hadn't been such a cover my ass directive from Kaler (and to a lesser extent Coyle, hiring a coach "in three days"* is the only thing I've seen him do that suggests he is a capable Power 5 AD) this might have given me hope. Instead big numbers, in context aren't as exciting as they originally looked, and they come not without significant risk given Fleck's solid, but limited resume as a head coach.

*Quotes used because we know he was prepping for this and vetting candidates well before Claeys was fired and before the bowl game.

As a contrast, here is how it was handled at Indiana: Yet yesterday word broke that Wilson had been fired. At an evening press conference, Indiana Athletic director Fred Glass revealed that Wilson had in fact resigned. Glass, a lawyer who was influential in Indianapolis politics before being named AD, blamed “philosophical differences” for the split. Glass wouldn’t elaborate - and this for a situation where the coach was directly responsible for the problems in the

To be fair, Glas has been absolutely hammered by the locals as well as the players/parents involved in the situations. Sometimes not saying enough gets you ripped more than saying nothing. Showing caution is usually a pretty good strategy. I'm not taking sides in saying this. I have no clue what anyone knew or when they knew it. And in not sure how so many people seem to have a definite grasp of that with all the conflicting info.

Dude - he's not a minor in this context. This is not debatable.

Yes it does. A minor is anyone under the age of 18. Consent is not a defense. If it includes a minor, anyone under the age of 18, it is illegal. You might want to look up the state laws. Very easy. Look on Google.

Yes it does. A minor is anyone under the age of 18. Consent is not a defense. If it includes a minor, anyone under the age of 18, it is illegal. You might want to look up the state laws. Very easy. Look on Google.

Fair enough, I stand corrected.

I had to search for a thread that had Coyle's name in it. He should be on the front page every day for as good of a job as he's doing.

He's the first AD since 1980 who has come in and demand that we compete at the highest levels.

I mentioned it in another thread, but right now he's probably the AD most envied by most Universities for the job he's doing despite the issues of the old coaching staff and the bad culture around women. Glad he's cleaning this up and getting us to compete at a national level.
Not cutting corners.

I had to search for a thread that had Coyle's name in it. He should be on the front page every day for as good of a job as he's doing.

He's the first AD since 1980 who has come in and demand that we compete at the highest levels.

I mentioned it in another thread, but right now he's probably the AD most envied by most Universities for the job he's doing despite the issues of the old coaching staff and the bad culture around women. Glad he's cleaning this up and getting us to compete at a national level.
Not cutting corners.

I think it's a significant stretch to suggest that he's the AD most envied by other universities. And it's extremely simplistic to type "bad culture around women" like that means anything at all. However, despite the fact that he hid under his desk in fright for a long time, I do like that he appears to make football and basketball success a priority.

^^^^^37 makes post then crawls back under his bridge^^^^

I think it's a significant stretch to suggest that he's the AD most envied by other universities. And it's extremely simplistic to type "bad culture around women" like that means anything at all. However, despite the fact that he hid under his desk in fright for a long time, I do like that he appears to make football and basketball success a priority.

We agree.
Making football and basketball a success is huge.

However, I seem to put a bigger emphasis on the culture than many other posters here, which I know AD Coyle does as well. For people to buy tickets, they can't be disgusted by the athlete's actions. So that's refreshing for him to see and understand.

We agree.

However, I seem to put a bigger emphasis on the culture than many other posters here, which I know AD Coyle does as well. For people to buy tickets, they can't be disgusted by the athlete's actions. So that's refreshing for him to see and understand.

I think we had 120 athletes on the football team doing great things in the classroom and community this fall - that's a pretty great culture. The fact that four kids messed up does not make for a bad culture, and Coyle could have kept them suspended during the EiEiO investigation. He chose not to.

I love that he has high expectations, but a great leader does not have to speak negatively of past leaders in order to set a vision. He doesn't even have to recognize the positive work the past football staff did, for example, he just needs to talk about what he is creating.

Leadership is more than expectations, you also have to model that leadership, which he has not done. I can tell you there are a lot of people in the department that he has to build relationships with as they are very upset with how Claeys and others were treated. He had every right to make the decision he did, but he did not have to treat the coaches the way he did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We agree.

Listen, we get you love your dad, but he's the problem not the solution. Where'd he go anyway? back in the shadows to not do his job until another day......

Listen, we get you love your dad, but he's the problem not the solution. Where'd he go anyway? back in the shadows to not do his job until another day......

Mark Coyle is doing a terrific job so far. I'm glad he's not a Jerry Jones type where he has to be in front of the cameras meddling in things. He hires his guy then stands back and let's the coach sell the program.

Coyle > Maturi > Norwood Teague

Coyle > Maturi > Norwood Teague

Mark Coyle has done a good job of hiring "his guy" to coach the football program.

If that were the extent of his job description I'd agree with you, but it is not. Unfortunately his job goes much further and deeper than that.

I'm sure your dad's a good guy, but he's done a terrible job as Athletic Director. He's made way too many mistakes to be offset by a good job quickly resolving the mess he created.

I will give you that he is better than Maturi or Teague. Then again, most 5th graders could do a better job than those two, so you might want to set your bar for comparison a little bit higher.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom