Fox 9: AD Mark Coyle belives better days ahead for Gophers Football

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Fox 9:

The University of Minnesota Gophers Football program has come through a difficult time, and there is still much work to do to repair the damage to the school.

The fallout from an alleged sexual assault scandal back in September cost head coach Tracy Claeys his job, but administrators feel better days are ahead.

Fox 9 Sports Director Jim Rich spoke with Athletic Director Mark Coyle on Monday – the first time Coyle has spoken with the media since the hiring of new head coach P.J. Fleck.

Fleck has been pressing the flesh with recruits, trying to get as many kids as he can before the Feb. 1 signing date. Coyle said when he first met Fleck for an interview in Chicago, the two shared a vision for the football program and it was after that conversation that Coyle knew he had the right man for the job.

After his initial press conference where Fleck was full of fire, some longtime Gophers football fans felt they have been down this road before – referring to former coach Tim Brewster.

But, Coyle says there is one difference between the two high-energy coaches.

“You’re defined by your actions. We can all say a lot of things, but ultimately you’re going to be defined by your action,” Coyle said. “He went 1-11 his first year, his last year they finished 13-1. Academically, they were below a 3.0. When he left they were above a 3.0. He was doing things the right way.”

Coyle said talking with other people who knew Fleck helped solidify his decision to hire the coach.

“I had a chance to talk to some other coaches around the country about him, we did a lot of research on him, and again, people feel like he is not only an incredible person with great passion and great energy, but he understands the game,” Coyle said. And again we think those two things will help us build this program where we want it to go.

Coyle also said no other players that were here under Tracy Claeys have asked to leave or transfer. He said Fleck has had several meetings with the current team and is quickly building a bond with his new players. But, still there is a long way to go before fans will see results.

http://www.fox9.com/sports/gophers/231288756-story

Go Gophers!!

I look forward to the new coach who says:

I duno, I mean I'm gonna TRY... We'll just see what happens. It's not like you guys have had much success anyway so don't hold me to it or anything...

I duno, I mean I'm gonna TRY... We'll just see what happens. It's not like you guys have had much success anyway so don't hold me to it or anything...

Jerry Kill kind of did that.

His name was Glen Mason.

I got SO sick of hearing him say after another year of mediocrity "You know...it's hard to win in the Big Ten. This is a tough conference".

In a town full of mediocre sports people, Jim Rich is at the bottom of the barrel. That guy should be manning a kiosk at the Eden Prairie Mall.

Doogie has a longer interview with Coyle out now. Good on Doogie for asking tough questions, but man Coyle is a sleazeball.

Doogie: Did Coach Claeys have access to the full EOAA Report before the boycott?

Coyle: He had the same information I did.

... so, no? yes? still haven't come close to answering the question (again).

All cliches and platitudes from him. No substance.

http://kstp.com/sports/gophers-athletics-director-mark-coyle-interview-darren-wolfson/4378899/?cat=7

Oh Doogie. Yes, he asked some good questions in this particular interview, but his batting average with scoops are so low, he just seems a little out of his league at KSTP.

Oh Doogie. Yes, he asked some good questions in this particular interview, but his batting average with scoops are so low, he just seems a little out of his league at KSTP.

And KSTP is the bottom of the barrel if you ask me.

Doogie has a longer interview with Coyle out now. Good on Doogie for asking tough questions, but man Coyle is a sleazeball.

Doogie: Did Coach Claeys have access to the full EOAA Report before the boycott?

http://kstp.com/sports/gophers-athletics-director-mark-coyle-interview-darren-wolfson/4378899/?cat=7
Still making excuses for TC's ignorant handling of the player boycott?
Coyle answers the question the way he wants. Not all questions are good questions or relevant questions, so answering the question the way you say he answered the question was stating what he thought was important about the question.
Calling him a "sleazeball" based on the little information that we know about the man is ridiculous.

Can't get excited about stuff like that since I'd guess Coyle is dodging because of the whole confidentiality issue. More interesting to me is that Channel 11 also had an interview with him last night. That intrepid, hard hitting reporter, dipsh*t Eric Perkins, was asking the questions. Learned nothing--same cliches and platitudes. But I have to ask myself why Coyle, after months in a witness protection program, suddenly is out there granting interviews. Can't have anything to do with the timing of the appeals I'm sure.

Coyle answers the question the way he wants. Not all questions are good questions or relevant questions, so answering the question the way you say he answered the question was stating what he thought was important about the question.
Calling him a "sleazeball" based on the little information that we know about the man is ridiculous.

Coyle is a sleazball. I'm sorry you can't see that. "He answers the way he wants" is very enlightening, BTW. Pretty sure that is a given - the issue is with how he wants to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure where in my post you find any excuse for Coach Claeys...

Not sure where in my post you find any excuse for Coach Claeys...

Easy. You have to be either:
A)Glad TC was fired and in love with PJ
or
B)Pissed TC was fired and hate PJ

New to GH?

Coyle is a sleazball. I'm sorry you can't see that. "He answers the way he wants" is very enlightening, BTW. Pretty sure that is a given - the issue is with how he wants to.

Coyle did not handle the scandal and the firing of Claeys very well we all agree on that but it was one incident. What if we were all judged by one incident that we happened to not handle well? You don't know the man calling him a sleazeball is over the top. He was quite respected prior to coming here. I'm willing to give him more time to prove himself and show who he is.

Coyle did not handle the scandal and the firing of Claeys very well we all agree on that but it was one incident. What if we were all judged by one incident that we happened to not handle well? You don't know the man calling him a sleazeball is over the top. He was quite respected prior to coming here. I'm willing to give him more time to prove himself and show who he is.

That incident lasted 5 months and he finished it with a poorly worded cya speech when introducing Fleck. Coyle is a snake in the grass and proved it every step of the way during this ONE incident.

That incident lasted 5 months and he finished it with a poorly worded cya speech when introducing Fleck. Coyle is a snake in the grass and proved it every step of the way during this ONE incident.

He gets waaaay to much blame on here. Claey's is the one who mishandled this badly from the beginning. It's staggering how many Claeys supporters give him a pass on this.

Coyle is a politician and showing he's a master at not answering questions. But as Mulligan said, the timing of his sudden accessibility to the media is very interesting, particularly since he doesn't seem able or willing to answer any of the questions people want answered.

He gets waaaay to much blame on here. Claey's is the one who mishandled this badly from the beginning. It's staggering how many Claeys supporters give him a pass on this.

Coyle had every chance to over-rule Claeys on his handling of this situation if he disagreed. He was the one who received the police report on the incident. Do you think he didn't sign off on re-instating the players ? He is the boss - if he didn't agree with re-instating the players, he should have shown some leadership and acted then.

Now I'm going to make excuses for TC (in reality just give facts)

From the beginning? TC suspended the players who were being investigated by the police (you know, the professionals who have actual experience with sexual assault allegations). Once it was announced that no charges would be pursued and the police and prosecutors considered the matter closed, the players were re-instated (which Coyle would have had to sign off on). Not sure how that was mis-handled by TC.

Then, when the restraining orders were issued (that entire saga is it's own cluster-f, with the Kiondre Thomas false accusation, the judge actually granting the stadium as a protected address knowing (I assume) that the respondents were football players (i've drafted hundreds of HRO's and common public places are almost never granted as protected addresses because of the logistical nightmares, especially when no hearing as occurred to rebut or offer evidence of any allegations), her pleading the 5th and then the subsequent dismissal agreement with the no civil suit provision) TC again complied and did not allow the players to play. How did he mis-handle that?

In the boycott, I will readily admit that he did not handle that well. Supporting the players (all of them, not just the 10) is at least defensible, but the tweet was very poorly executed.

So to use your own reasoning, how he handled the boycott is the ONE mistake that he made that he was judged on.

Coyle has every right to fire and hire whoever he wants. I would have so much more respect for him if I would just say, I wanted to make a change so I did.

He hasn't done that. Instead he throws everyone under the bus, throws out nonsensical sayings like "Living in Truth" and then proceeds to avoid answering any questions, or in the rare instance where he does, spews double-talk and platitudes.

That is what I have to judge Mark Coyle on, and that is why I think he is a sleazeball

There is plenty of blame to go around to both of them.
Where the differences happen in that blame are:
Claeys was a first time head coach and Coyle was a seasoned athletic director.
First time people in any job make some poor decisions and learn from them as they go. People who have been around a position for sometime are there to help out new people and help them grow from those decisions. Coyle did none of that.
Then in the end he used that as a reason(one of many that were all untrue) to get rid of Claeys. To me those are the reasons I have no faith or trust in anything Coyle says.

I thought there was no culture problem and everything was perfect. Some girl made up a bunch of stuff that wasn't true is all. Why was this article even written.

I thought there was no culture problem and everything was perfect. Some girl made up a bunch of stuff that wasn't true is all. Why was this article even written.

Do people often comment you smell like vinegar?

You mean like the 10 football players that are suspended or expelled?

Thank you for those replies as they only reinforced my point. Coyle gets the blame while Claeys gets a pass. Nevermind the fact that he is the head frickin coach. Nevermind the fact that these are his players and his responsibility. Nevermind the fact that the recruit involved has parents who trusted that their son would be properly taken care of. Nevermind the fact that Claeys didn't kick the involved players off the team and end this whole thing in September. It was Claeys' program, it was Claeys' players, and it's Claeys' mess.

Thank you for those replies as they only reinforced my point. Coyle gets the blame while Claeys gets a pass. Nevermind the fact that he is the head frickin coach. Nevermind the fact that these are his players and his responsibility. Nevermind the fact that the recruit involved has parents who trusted that their son would be properly taken care of. Nevermind the fact that Claeys didn't kick the involved players off the team and end this whole thing in September. It was Claeys' program, it was Claeys' players, and it's Claeys' mess.

Read post #25.

Top Bottom