Big Visits This Weekend!

Eli Sherman

Reaction score
Coach Fleck and crew looking to further bolster the 2017 class this weekend.

3-star WR Jalen Holston is coming in from Georgia and is a soft commit for Virginia Tech as of December 8th, 2016. This would be another big flip for Coach Fleck and his staff. Check out Holston's recruiting profile here: http://247sports.com/Player/Jalen-Holston-84234

Joining him will be fellow 3-stars Boye Mafe (http://247sports.com/Player/Boye-Mafe-91767) who is currently at Hopkins Sr. High School. A commit here would be big in defending the home state recruits.

Chris Autman-Bell, who has interviewed with GopherHole previously, is committed and will be taking his official visit this weekend as well. Here is his profile: http://247sports.com/Player/Chris-Bell-86662

I talked to Chris earlier today and he his very excited about this weekends visits!

RB Michael Warren will also be here, Ohio Mr. Football and 4 star on 247. Also 247 no longer showing a vista from Holsten.

I am really hoping that we can land Mafe.

From my untrained eye, he struck me as an incredibly athlete that was just new to football. He essentially played like a LBer position where his only read was "find ball, get ball". I think he was just such a good athlete that it didn't make sense for the coach to play him at DE (they'd just run the other way). With his body type and the way he moved, it was surprising to me to see him next to other athletes and see that he has legit size.

As far Warren, taking 3 RBs actually makes some sense. We didn't take a HS RB last season, so we essentially have a blank FR and RS FR season to fill. When you factor that with some of the uncertainty surrounding a couple other players, it makes sense. We could use more depth next season and coming down the pipeline.

From my untrained eye, he struck me as an incredibly athlete that was just new to football. He essentially played like a LBer position where his only read was "find ball, get ball". I think he was just such a good athlete that it didn't make sense for the coach to play him at DE (they'd just run the other way). With his body type and the way he moved, it was surprising to me to see him next to other athletes and see that he has legit size.

As far Warren, taking 3 RBs actually makes some sense. We didn't take a HS RB last season, so we essentially have a blank FR and RS FR season to fill. When you factor that with some of the uncertainty surrounding a couple other players, it makes sense. We could use more depth next season and coming down the pipeline.

As for thinking about another RB font you think it really depends if we have the unfortunate "luxury" of extra picks due to the Witch Trial? I'd like for us to get an LB or two since we have no RS freshmen this coming year and we're only picking up one OLB so far this year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's pretty accurate. He started playing football in ninth grade.

He competes in the 100 m, the shot put, and the high jump in track. Quite the athlete.

That's pretty accurate. He started playing football in ninth grade.

He competes in the 100 m, the shot put, and the high jump in track. Quite the athlete.

Thanks for the input. That is what I would have guessed with him. I am excited to see what he can do when he is putting his hand in the dirt and chasing after QBs. He really is an impressive athlete.

As for thinking about another RB font you think it really depends if we have the unfortunate "luxury" of extra picks due to the Witch Trial? I'd like for us to get an LB or two since we have no RS freshmen this coming year and we're only picking up one OLB so far this year?

Yeah.

I assume that we will have open scholarships because of the following factors:
(1) new coach;
(2) the sexual assault case;
(3) typical yearly attrition.

On a typical year, you lose guys to transferring right after the season, but you also lose guys in the spring (Streveler OUT, Bobek IN). These kinds of transfers are even more typical with a no coach. I assume Fleck and staff will be sitting down with some of the upperclassmen buried on the depth chart and have an honest discussion with them. There are also people who probably won't jive with the new coach (not an indictment on the new staff, there is always a few people that don't handle change well).

I can't say I know exactly where the scholarships will come from, however, I'd be really surprised if we don't sign 28 players and have scholarships left over to give Cashman one over the summer.

And the fact that James Johannesson transferred... We need the depth!

Maybe he can do Decathlon after football: "competes in 100 meter and shot put and high jump."

Attached is a compilation of the scholarship grid based on several lists and conversations from another thread.

Athletes that are facing appeals are in red. Blake Cashman and Emmit Carpenter are bolded meaning I have put two scholies towards them. Since Neil McLaurin Enrolled early and Tyler Moore transferred, I place McLaurin in the Freshman Column using Tyler's scholie. That leaves 24 commits and 88 scholie players.

If the four scholie players (and walk-on Carlton Djam) are lose their appeal and face expulsion, they'll have four scholies open. Bottom line is we have to be at 85. Who knows who else is contemplating transferring other than Tyler Moore. It will be an interesting Spring and Summer.

2017 Gophers Scholarship.jpg

And the fact that James Johannesson transferred... We need the depth!

Djam was also ahead of JJ and Femi-Cole on the depth chart.

Attached is a compilation of the scholarship grid based on several lists and conversations from another thread.

Athletes that are facing appeals are in red. Blake Cashman and Emmit Carpenter are bolded meaning I have put two scholies towards them. Since Neil McLaurin Enrolled early and Tyler Moore transferred, I place McLaurin in the Freshman Column using Tyler's scholie. That leaves 24 commits and 88 scholie players.

If the four scholie players (and walk-on Carlton Djam) are lose their appeal and face expulsion, they'll have four scholies open. Bottom line is we have to be at 85. Who knows who else is contemplating transferring other than Tyler Moore. It will be an interesting Spring and Summer.

View attachment 4713

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Bob- any chance Mafe could move to OLB or is he too big?

DT Corey Bolds visiting now too.

He would be a huge get, no pun intended. Kid has a good chance of playing time due to lack of depth. Let's get him and the big o-lineman Munford. PJF has done a nice job on getting some pretty decent players on campus and verbaled. I look at the amount of offers by other power 5's more than anything and I like some of these recent additions!

Bob- any chance Mafe could move to OLB or is he too big?

My impression of Mafe was that he'd be a DE, but he does move pretty well. I think of him more as a DE that will have to put on weight, but he's fast and played off the ball quite a bit at Hopkins. So, although I think of him as a DE, OLB could also be a possibility (even maybe MLB).

What impressed me most about Mafe was when he ran down those kick returners straight from behind, guys that are probably 40 pounds lighter than him.

According to Rivals, Adam Beck's high school teammate CB Samuel Barnes will now be visiting this weekend as well. Don't know much about him other than he's got a great offer list (not sure how many are still commitable, but still), and he's at a position of great need (depending how the hearings go). Hopefully they can reel him in, especially with Creamer on the fence.

According to Rivals, Adam Beck's high school teammate CB Samuel Barnes will now be visiting this weekend as well. Don't know much about him other than he's got a great offer list (not sure how many are still commitable, but still), and he's at a position of great need (depending how the hearings go). Hopefully they can reel him in, especially with Creamer on the fence.

http://247sports.com/Player/Samuel-Barnes-91601

They are rated about the same .8509 (Barnes) vs .8502 (Beck) including Douglas at .8528. Creamer is rated .8355 on 247 Sports. More importantly, Barnes, Beck, and Douglas have four dots while Creamer only has three.

They are rated about the same .8509 (Barnes) vs .8502 (Beck) including Douglas at .8528. Creamer is rated .8355 on 247 Sports. More importantly, Barnes, Beck, and Douglas have four dots while Creamer only has three.

I'm sure Mark Coyle would then recommend that Creamer would be a lower priority.

Hold up before lowering anyone on the importance list. Which ones gave the almighty higher blessed when announcing.

View attachment 4713

Out of curiosity related to scholarships......Is there, in anyway, a situation where the 4 (currently under scholarship), have their scholarships removed even if they won their appeal?

Out of curiosity related to scholarships......Is there, in anyway, a situation where the 4 (currently under scholarship), have their scholarships removed even if they won their appeal?

Yes. I believe they can be removed at any time for "violation of team rules".

I would think that the ship on the four has sailed. It is too bad.

Top Bottom