All Things Gopher Players Appeals Process

UpNorth, CoMN - you must be up in arms that Winfield Jr. is not being expelled. Since neither of you ever answered questions I have asked you, do you support his being back or do you still want him expelled? You have been out for blood the whole time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Look like another player got clear.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

It sounds like some of the players are cleared but Fleck still has to welcome them back doesn't he? I don't see why he couldn't or shouldn't, but he's the coach and has his own culture now.

How would it look for Hutton if Winfield was the only one to get cleared.

That was my first thought too. The Winfield's did the right thing by hiring a criminal defense attorney. Although now it appears some of the other 9 are being cleared too.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

That was my first thought too. The Winfield's did the right thing by hiring a criminal defense attorney. Although now it appears some of the other 9 are being cleared too.

I was wrong. Originally I thought all involved who didn't get their own lawyer away from the rest were not being smart (I understand the financial issue).

If they are cleared he will take them back, if he didn't he would lose this team real quick.

They did. I don't have kids, but if I did and one of them were wrapped up in this the first thing I would have done is get them their own attorney. And it would have been someone like Pacyga who specializes in criminal law.

She "became very drunk" when she drank it, but does she ever say she was drunk during the encounter? To me the whole "drunk" issue is very subjective (and open to changing your views on whether or not you were drunk) without a breathalyzer. Not saying it helps her story, just saying I wouldn't call it lying.

Shortly after she entered the apartment, "She still felt very drunk". She was in the apartment for an hour which isn't enough time to go from very drunk to not drunk at all.

It's absolutely lying. She knew the implications of telling investigators she was very drunk. If she wasn't sure, she could have told them that initially or said "I think I was drunk". She clearly lead the EOAA to believe that she was drunk the whole time and couldn't stop the players because she was so drunk.

Add Seth Green to the players who should have not been suspended.

Darren Wolfson KSTP 2m2 minutes ago

Source tells me that QB Seth Green's 1-year suspension recommendation has been overturned. #gophers

Per Wolfson Twitter:

"Source tells me that QB Seth Green's 1-year suspension recommendation has been overturned. #gophers"

And the QB conversation continues to get more and more interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shortly after she entered the apartment, "She still felt very drunk". She was in the apartment for an hour which isn't enough time to go from very drunk to not drunk at all.

It's absolutely lying. She knew the implications of telling investigators she was very drunk. If she wasn't sure, she could have told them that initially or said "I think I was drunk". She clearly lead the EOAA to believe that she was drunk the whole time and couldn't stop the players because she was so drunk.

"Felt" is the key word. Someone isn't lying if they felt a certain way and it proved to be wrong. I felt the Gophers were going to beat Penn State in football when we were winning with under a minute to go. We didn't, but that doesn't mean I was lying that I felt that way.

Page 4 of the report says that she alleges "She became "very drunk to a level she doesn't reach often."" If Hutton is correct and she now claims that she wasn't drunk that night, the whole "very drunk" thing was a lie. Sure she couldn't know exactly what her BAC was but I don't see how she went from "very drunk" to not drunk at all.

Yep, thanks for finding it on the recording...I was going to go find it. Also claimed the same to law enforcement. AP sportsguy also said on KFAN that there were other things that somehow changed from the report. Investigator, for the first time, stated Winfield jr. was not involved in having sex with accuser.

Will be interesting to see how they rule on consent, since she has now admitted sex with several was indeed consensual.

Per Wolfson Twitter:

"Source tells me that QB Seth Green's 1-year suspension recommendation has been overturned. #gophers"

And the QB conversation continues to get more and more interesting.

Really glad to hear this!!!

Not trying to be Buzz Killington here, but the young woman still has the option of appealing the decision to the provost. She may want it to just be done, but there will be a lot of pressure on her to keep it going since it has gotten so much publicity

Add Seth Green to the players who should have not been suspended.

Darren Wolfson KSTP 2m2 minutes ago

Source tells me that QB Seth Green's 1-year suspension recommendation has been overturned. #gophers

Great news! Another guy that evidently wasn't even there.

For the educated lawyer opinions.. If it seems clear that she lied about being drunk, fabricated claims against players, and changed story several times, who would players get to sue for slander/defamation/obstruction of justice- her or the university administration? If they have a case against her I'd love for them to pursue it, since she'd have it coming and it'd set a future precedent, and the initial protest groups might lose their minds

Not trying to be Buzz Killington here, but the young woman still has the option of appealing the decision to the provost. She may want it to just be done, but there will be a lot of pressure on her to keep it going since it has gotten so much publicity

Wouldn't that make it more likely if she appeals that she could get in a ton of legal trouble if player attorneys prove she lied?

Unless they can prove that she maliciously went after the players (which I don't think is the case, and is extremely hard to prove anyway), i don't forsee any successful defamation suits against her coming from this.

For the educated lawyer opinions.. If it seems clear that she lied about being drunk, fabricated claims against players, and changed story several times, who would players get to sue for slander/defamation/obstruction of justice- her or the university administration? If they have a case against her I'd love for them to pursue it, since she'd have it coming and it'd set a future precedent, and the initial protest groups might lose their minds

No. They would have to prove she did it with the intent to harm them.

Shenault overturned... Williams upheld 1 yr suspension... Djam reduced to 1 yr suspension... Buford/Hardin/Johnson/Johnson expulsions upheld

From Doogie

Realistically from strictly a football perspective that is one of the better outcomes that could have occurred. Now it will be interesting to see who stays.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Except for Hardin.. He was legit and Buford may have been too.

Interesting that Williams suspension was upheld.

Besides that, I think it all turned out what we thought should/will happen. I'm fine with the original 4 being expelled. I'm glad Djam's punishment got reduced as the police believed the incident was consensual. Glad Winfield, Mccrary, Green and Shenault got cleared as it seemed like they were minimally involved or not involved at all.

Top Bottom