All Things Gopher Players Appeals Process

Eh, look, as far as the AD is concerned I'm not sure what more people want him to have known. He knew that the players were under investigation by the police so he suspended them from football. Then the DA declined to pursue charges so they were no longer suspended from football. Then the EOAA recommended the suspensions/expulsions from school so they were again suspended from football. I don't really have an issue with any of that. It actually makes a lot of sense if you look at it in the big picture. I agree that the problem with Coyle has been communication on many fronts. That is a legitimate complaint about what he has done so far as AD. But as far as his decision to suspend/un-suspend-re-suspend the players I don't have a problem with that part.

And yes, I agree that he went too far in the press conference where he said those things about the previous coaches. That was absolutely unnecessary. We all knew the real reason behind the decision (he wanted his own guy), and it is time to move on from that.

I have seen some on here calling for his head, even saying the university has legitimate grounds to fire him for cause, and I find that to be laughable. He's been a poor communicator, no doubt. He fired someone so he could hire the guy he wanted. He's put his job and credibility on the line with the Fleck hire. Let's see if he was right before passing judgment.

AD Coyle said he knew more than we did many times from when this first came to light till now. Why did he wait till he fired Claeys to express all of this disgust? If he saw the videos, read the police report, had opportunities galore to launch his own investigation... Why then? Why didn't he leave the original guys suspended? Where is his leadership?

The big picture is the Pres and the A.D. failed to lead. Can you honestly say this was handled well? Can you honestly say you trust what he says?

If he wanted his own guy, he could have easily announced that the football program was moving in a new direction, thanked Claeys, and hired Fleck. That is the issue with many. Not the what, the how it happened.

my apologies if this was already covered....this "deadline" to deliver results of the appeal today....why do we think it will actually be released to the public?

And what makes us think the deadline will be met? What would happen to the EEOA if it is delayed, or not released at all?

I'm almost positive the school won't say anything. The result of the hearings will go to the players and their lawyers. Would guess it will be them giving info to the public. The school has said basically nothing to this point and I wouldn't expect that to change now. For the most part the school isn't really allowed to say anything.

my apologies if this was already covered....this "deadline" to deliver results of the appeal today....why do we think it will actually be released to the public?

And what makes us think the deadline will be met? What would happen to the EEOA if it is delayed, or not released at all?

I'm going with the assumption that the EEOA views the "news" as "bad news" (for them) and will wait as long as possible in the news cycle to release the info.

As far as I know:

The EEOA is completely unrelated. They are a part of the federal government who was never involved.

The EOAA was the group that first did the investigation, created the 80 page report, and recommended the punishments. At this point, they are removed from the issue.

Now it is in the OSCAI's hands. They are the group that is hearing the appeal of the EOAA's report and recommendation.

I don't think anyone knows what happens if they miss the deadline. The players are likely going to sue the U and in that lawsuit will complain about how the written appeal procedures were not followed. If they don't come up with a decision on time, that will likely just be added to the list of complaints in the lawsuit. The U will likely end up paying for it but I doubt anything will happen to the EOAA or OSCAI.

The U won't officially announce anything. The players or their lawyers might say something about it and someone from the U might anonymously leak information to local news stations. I think there's a fairly good chance that the result becomes public relatively quickly after the players hear the results.

AD Coyle said he knew more than we did many times from when this first came to light till now. Why did he wait till he fired Claeys to express all of this disgust? If he saw the videos, read the police report, had opportunities galore to launch his own investigation... Why then? Why didn't he leave the original guys suspended? Where is his leadership?

The big picture is the Pres and the A.D. failed to lead. Can you honestly say this was handled well? Can you honestly say you trust what he says?

If he wanted his own guy, he could have easily announced that the football program was moving in a new direction, thanked Claeys, and hired Fleck. That is the issue with many. Not the what, the how it happened.

I never said it was handled well. In fact I acknowledged that it was handled poorly. And yes, I do trust what he says with the caveat that I also recognize that 1) he is more limited than most when it comes to the information he is legally allowed to divulge, and 2) the information he does give is from his perspective.

I think you are overstimating how much power an AD has in all of this. Once the EOAA and the president of the university become involved it is way over his head. He can't call for his own investigation once the EOAA is investigating. At that point he can just let them do their jobs and deal with the outcome.

As I've said all along. Coyle is absolutely guilty of the poor communication that lead to this mess. And he's guilty of making some not very sensible comments at the press conference where he fired Claeys. Beyond those things I don't see him st fault for much else. He's dealing with a crappy situation. No matter how he handled it many people would dislike him. That's the job of being an AD. No matter what you do lots of people won't like you

I'm almost positive the school won't say anything. The result of the hearings will go to the players and their lawyers. Would guess it will be them giving info to the public. The school has said basically nothing to this point and I wouldn't expect that to change now. For the most part the school isn't really allowed to say anything.

Oh, they've said a LOT. It's when they don't want to answer that they fall back on the "student privacy" response.

You can even be more positive of the U releasing the results if all 10 expulsions and suspensions are upheld.

Unless you really think Kaler, Coyle and/or Hewitt, if they win their case, and Channel 5 and 11's lights and cameras are trained on them, they're gonna just frown and say "no comment."

Now if they lose any of it, you're right, they may not respond.

The only question will be if they trot out the "student privacy" response then too.

I thought a decision was coming out today. Did I hear wrong or was this delayed?

Sadly, I expect to learn of the findings from player twitter posts.

Oh, they've said a LOT. It's when they don't want to answer that they fall back on the "student privacy" response.

You can even be more positive of the U releasing the results if all 10 expulsions and suspensions are upheld.

Unless you really think Kaler, Coyle and/or Hewitt, if they win their case, and Channel 5 and 11's lights and cameras are trained on them, they're gonna just frown and say "no comment."

Now if they lose any of it, you're right, they may not respond.

The only question will be if they trot out the "student privacy" response then too.

The U didn't even release the reasons behind the suspensions. The players lawyer (Hutton) released The info about the suspensions/the reasons behind them. He had his reasons for doing so (listen to him on Doogie's podcast), but to say that the U has been releasing info tells me you haven't been following along very closely. Beyond releasing that the players were suspended for the bowl game I can't think of one tidbit about this investigation or the hearings that has been shared by the U.

Look around at the other comments. I'm not the only one saying the school won't be the one to say the results of these hearings.

I'm going with the assumption that the EEOA views the "news" as "bad news" (for them) and will wait as long as possible in the news cycle to release the info.

It's likely going to be the reverse. The school won't make any announcement since it can't comment on the proceedings. The news will come from Mr. Pacyga, Mr. Hutton or one of the players/their parents.

The longer it takes, the more likely it is that the attorneys have the decision to uphold and are crafting statements that don't hurt their client's chances with a likely federal lawsuit.

The U didn't even release all the EOAA stuff in the first place. The players lawyer (Hutton) released The info about the suspensions/the reasons behind them. He had his reasons for doing so (listen to him on Doogie's podcast), but to say that the U has been releasing info tells me you haven't been following along very closely. Beyond releasing that the players were suspended for the bowl game I can't think of one tidbit about this investigation or the hearings that has been shared by the U.

Nah, to you it means "please respond to me so I can drag my b.s along a little further. Please!"

There you go. :blah::blah::blah:

I never said it was handled well. In fact I acknowledged that it was handled poorly. And yes, I do trust what he says with the caveat that I also recognize that 1) he is more limited than most when it comes to the information he is legally allowed to divulge, and 2) the information he does give is from his perspective.

I think you are overstimating how much power an AD has in all of this. Once the EOAA and the president of the university become involved it is way over his head. He can't call for his own investigation once the EOAA is investigating. At that point he can just let them do their jobs and deal with the outcome.

As I've said all along. Coyle is absolutely guilty of the poor communication that lead to this mess. And he's guilty of making some not very sensible comments at the press conference where he fired Claeys. Beyond those things I don't see him st fault for much else. He's dealing with a crappy situation. No matter how he handled it many people would dislike him. That's the job of being an AD. No matter what you do lots of people won't like you

For the most part, we agree. Just don't tell people you(meaning A.D. Coyle) "know" more than them, allow players to play, re-suspend them, then state again that you know more than they do, reinstate them, then after a report comes out suspend them yet again (and a few others as well) communicate poorly to the players, tell them you know more than they do...

I am sorry, but that is beyond bad. I truly believe A.D. Goetz could have/ would have handled this situation better.

Take it for what it's worth....

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I thought a decision was coming out today. Did I hear wrong or was this delayed?

I have a feeling this will be a Friday news dump story. Put it out as close (or after) the 5:00 news so that it can't be covered in it's entirety if at all. Everyone will be able to "be unavailable for comment" until Monday. It's a common practice, especially in politics, when you have news that will have to be shared at some point.

For the most part, we agree. Just don't tell people you(meaning A.D. Coyle) "know" more than them, allow players to play, re-suspend them, then state again that you know more than they do, reinstate them, then after a report comes out suspend them yet again (and a few others as well) communicate poorly to the players, tell them you know more than they do...

I am sorry, but that is beyond bad. I truly believe A.D. Goetz could have/ would have handled this situation better.

That's absolutely fair. I won't defend him for doing any of that. Like I said, I'll never claim he handled this well publicly.

Take a look at the Baylor situation. If that happened at Minnesota they would have had the death penalty already.

AD Coyle said he knew more than we did many times from when this first came to light till now. Why did he wait till he fired Claeys to express all of this disgust?

Coyle didn't express any disgust. That is just the official GopherHole interpretation of the news conference where he announced Clayes' dismissal. Another way to look at it is that Coyle just said he wanted to change the Gopher's 50 years of a losing culture by hiring a coach who was game changer on and off the football field.

If he saw the videos, read the police report, had opportunities galore to launch his own investigation... Why then?

The U did launch their own investigation. It is all in the EOAA report. You should read it.

Why didn't he leave the original guys suspended?

Coyle (and Kaler) wanted to make sure the players got their "due process" before any suspensions. The EOAA investigation was part of that process.

Where is his leadership?

I like Coyle's leadership. He fired JRob, he held Pitino accountable for his player's behavior off the court, and hired one of the hottest young football coaches in the country.

The big picture is the Pres and the A.D. failed to lead.

Kale and Coyle are leading. You just don't agree with what they did and how they did it.

Can you honestly say this was handled well?

It wasn't handled well primarily because Claeys lost control of his team, didn't hold the players accountable for their behavior off the field, and he threw Kaler and Coyle under the bus with his half-ass tweet.

Can you honestly say you trust what he says?

I don't trust what anybody says other than my family and friends. The only thing that matters with an AD is results. So far I like what Coyle has done. We will see if this continues or he is beaten down by the Jim Carter's and Gopher fanboys of the world.

You guys need to get over it. Coyle is going to be around for a very long time. Maybe until he retires. More than a few GopherHolers are going to be dead before that happens.

Why would anyone treat Minnesota more harshly than Baylor?

Program visibility.

Easy to beat up on someone not high profile.

I don't know how much that is a thing as much as the NCAA wheel of punishment is pretty random.

I'm sure Pat has more sources than I do so take this FWIW. But I do think at least a few of them will at least have their punishments reduced. No inside info, and feel free to bring up this post if I'm wrong, just a gut feel.

Program visibility.

Easy to beat up on someone not high profile.

I don't know how much that is a thing as much as the NCAA wheel of punishment is pretty random.

No, I get that, but on what planet is Baylor "high profile"?

Top Bottom