All Things Gopher Players Appeals Process

DeathClutch

Reaction score
I was listening to 93x this morning and the Attorney that they have on the show from time to time, Ryan Pacyga, said that he will be representing Winfield Jr. during the appeals process. He didn't really offer up any more details besides the fact that the appeals start early in the afternoon on Thursday and Friday, and go on until about 10-11pm both nights.

Thought it was interesting since I didn't know that the players will be allowed representation through the appeals process.

I was listening to 93x this morning and the Attorney that they have on the show from time to time, Ryan Pacyga, said that he will be representing Winfield Jr. during the appeals process. He didn't really offer up any more details besides the fact that the appeals start early in the afternoon on Thursday and Friday, and go on until about 10-11pm both nights.

Thought it was interesting since I didn't know that the players will be allowed representation through the appeals process.

I believe that they can have an attorney present and that they can consult with their attorney, but the attorney can't be the one talking to witnesses, talking to the panel, etc... I could be wrong.

It is good to know that if Winfield is planning on appealing it is safe to assume that he is staying at the U. There is no other reason to appeal if you were headed to another school.

When do we expect a decision on these things? Do they take the info and sit on it for weeks or can we expect them to come back on Monday for a ruling? Obviously the result of this thing affects how many players we can sign and signing day is next Wednesday.

It is good to know that if Winfield is planning on appealing it is safe to assume that he is staying at the U. There is no other reason to appeal if you were headed to another school.

He probably wants to clear his name, regardless.

Carter Coughlin tweeted about one of the accused face timing his girlfriend for several hours during the time period in question, and was apparently nowhere near the incident. Supposedly, the girl picked the player out from a photo. Does anyone happen to know who that player is?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kinda scary that they might not be able to speak for the student.

If you have a student who isn't particularly ineloquent or knowledgeable, seems like you could railroad him if you wanted...

No Hutton? Interesting.

Just going by the report, I suspect different players are gonna have different goals here.

Some players are in deeper **** than others. If I'm a guy who just needs to show "man I didn't do anything and wasn't even there".... I don't need to bring the whole house down and don't need my attorney to be working on that when I just need the disciplinary appeal to result in letting me out of my suspension.

I would want my own attorney focused on just me.

After further research, it looks like the players attorneys can question their own witnesses during the appeals.

"Lee Hutton, the attorney representing the players, will be allowed to question their own witnesses during the appeal hearings which will take place Jan. 26-27. The hearings are closed to the public."

http://kstp.com/news/suspended-goph...-jan-26-sexual-assault-investigation/4374804/

That's good.

The fact that this process is so confusing... not so much good.

Except to clear your name? Or erase the notation on your transcript that you were suspended/expelled?

He probably wants to clear his name, regardless.

Carter Coughlin tweeted about one of the accused face timing his girlfriend for several hours during the time period in question, and was apparently nowhere near the incident. Supposedly, the girl picked the player out from a photo. Does anyone happen to know who that player is?

Rumored to be Green

If that's the case, proving his innocence should be a slam dunk.

If the story is accurate as it was told, the fact that it takes this long is kinda disturbing.

If the story is accurate as it was told, the fact that it takes this long is kinda disturbing.

For sure. For me, it throws the entire investigation into question, which is probably why charges weren't filed.

Depends on what he's been accused of. I thought I'd heard some players were suspended not based on their direct involvement, but for lying/covering up things when questioned or for the content of texts.

Depends on what he's been accused of. I thought I'd heard some players were suspended not based on their direct involvement, but for lying/covering up things when questioned or for the content of texts.

Heard that as well but they better have checked the texts of all players, not just young black ones.

This is about the student conduct code, not legal innocence or guilt.

I'm not speculating on any of the players' involvement or opining on what punishments could be. But, wasn't it reported or rumored that some are facing suspension for lying to school administrators, taking part in text message streams, etc?

I believe Hutton is representing the other players.

Two possibilities. Either Winfield is using a different strategy than the other players, or it's a question of money. I think Winfield Senior probably has a few bucks stashed away from his NFL career, so he may be in a better position to afford outside counsel.

If taking part in inappropriate text message streams is grounds for suspension/expulsion, and was applied across the board, the enrollment at the University would be greatly reduced,

If taking part in inappropriate text message streams is grounds for suspension/expulsion, and was applied across the board, the enrollment at the University would be greatly reduced,

I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with the "appropriateness" of it, it'd be on the grounds of obstructing an investigation, aka lying, which would obviously be in violation of any student code.

Sure, but I still think it's interesting that Winfield would choose to go in a different direction than everyone else.

Pacyga's specialty is criminal defense. Hutton's is in litigation/sports law. Not saying Hutton isn't perfectly capable of giving the players a good defense, but given the choice between the two, I would probably go with Pacyga. I would guess that Hutton is representing the players pro bono and Pacyga is going to cost some $$$$.

Pacyga's specialty is criminal defense. Hutton's is in litigation/sports law. Not saying Hutton isn't perfectly capable of giving the players a good defense, but given the choice between the two, I would probably go with Pacyga. I would guess that Hutton is representing the players pro bono and Pacyga is going to cost some $$$$.

Also, Hutton became involved with the original four (or five) who were investigated by police. As far as we're aware, the other five didn't get lumped into this until the EOAA completed its investigation. THEN they needed legal counsel.

If my kid were one of the "new" five, I would probably find a different lawyer, too. Not because Hutton isn't qualified, but because I want someone 100% focused on my kid and his specific situation. And if you happen think a different lawyer is better, for whatever reason, even more reason to do so.

Top Bottom