All Things Gopher Players Appeals Process

Based on what? Letting the school conclude their investigation?

This whole thread is about the players being 'unfairly punished' and now your changing your story to Coyle should be fired because he didn't punish them longer? Really can't make it up

Coyle was the university representative who received the police report in September that clearly stated that the recruit was involved in this situation. He had the right, and obligation as Claeys direct supervisor to demand that those players who directly involved the recruit in the situation (and also provided a minor alcohol) be suspended. The buck stops at the top, and as the AD Coyle did not do what should have been expected of him.

Yeah. I doubt the Gophers can reserve those scholarships until resolution especially if it goes to the court system.

I'm sure Fleck has made a decision on the first 5. That would involve 4 scholarships. I can't fathom any of them being back. It would be a story the whole time they were here.

This isn't aimed at you specifically by any means. It's just a post that relates to something I find odd. How does everyone know exactly what coyle, Kaler and Claeys did and didn't do? No one knows who knew what or when yet half of GH has dug their heels in for and/or against certain people. I really don't get it. Some things were handled poorly by EVERYONE involved, coach, ad, prez and players. But it's hard to vehemently defend or attack anyone without full knowledge of who knew what when or who did/didn't make or support decisions. It's taking a lot of fliers off your particular interpretation.

It may be unfair to some extent. And I'm certain GWG would say so. However, one thing I believe all can agree on is that this entire situation has been a complete fiasco from the beginning. When things are allowed to go that far off the rails, the finger has to be pointed at the leadership. For a long time the administration has been preaching this "is bigger than football." I agree. The buck stops at MC and EK. They have the most power to mange the situation. They make the big bucks. The responsibility for how this has turned into a national black eye for our University is squarely in their laps.

Coyle was the university representative who received the police report in September that clearly stated that the recruit was involved in this situation. He had the right, and obligation as Claeys direct supervisor to demand that those players who directly involved the recruit in the situation (and also provided a minor alcohol) be suspended. The buck stops at the top, and as the AD Coyle did not do what should have been expected of him.

According to weather Coyle is not responsible nor accountable.

Can't make it up.

It may be unfair to some extent. And I'm certain GWG would say so. However, one thing I believe all can agree on is that this entire situation has been a complete fiasco from the beginning. When things are allowed to go that far off the rails, the finger has to be pointed at the leadership. For a long time the administration has been preaching this "is bigger than football." I agree. The buck stops at MC and EK. They have the most power to mange the situation. They make the big bucks. The responsibility for how this has turned into a national black eye for our University is squarely in their laps.

Only on Kaler according to weather.

The only way Coyle would be in trouble is if he tried to get the players NOT to testify. For 2 reasons.
1. Cause they would be dumb not to. People can say what they want about the bias of an EOAA investigation (and they would be right to a degree), but it doesn't make sense to not even meet with the EOAA to give your side of the story. Unless of course you actually are guilty.
2. Ethically it would be a horrible decision to tell them not to testify. The AD telling student-athletes not to cooperate with a school investigation? That's a terrible look. It's not Coyle's job to protect them from punishment if they did something wrong. And it's kind of disturbing to me that some of my fellow Gopher fans seem to think it is.

To your first point, the second 5 people were sanctioned due to their testimony. Based on that, in the future would you be willing to testify in an EOAA investigation if you were asked?

It has been a complete fiasco from the start.
It started with the initial 5 making a poor decision.
Was compounded from there by the indecision and lack of leadership by those in charge. Claeys and Coyle.
Of those two Coyle Should get way more blame for the way it was handled simply because he is an experienced AD. Claeys was a first time head coach.
Then the top blew off with the handling of the suspension release to the press and talking with the team that incited the boycott. Kaler and Coyle.

More information

I'm sure Fleck has made a decision on the first 5. That would involve 4 scholarships. I can't fathom any of them being back. It would be a story the whole time they were here.

In my mind based on like 20 football staff people being asked to move on, it made no sense to me for the 5 to somehow stay. I thought the 5 were clearly gone. Coyle parrots his it's a privilege not a right to play for the Gophers at every sound bite. But as more information comes out, as the process is so completely screwed up, now I'm not sure. If the panel reduces the penalties...say to probation. How do the other 80-90 guys feel about their teammates being cleared but still kicked off the team? If the attorney says he has a tape to prove innocence but the university won't allow it...and if federal court does and he is being straight...they'll be cleared. At that point they will have proved consensual sex. I'm not sure the University wants to be in that position.

I don't know...but you don't need these scholarships until next summer. The incoming guys aren't taking their place this winter. How far down the road is federal court? Are these guys 30 years old when they are cleared? Obviously that's a factor. I have more questions than answers but I'm not as positive as I was in my mind the 5 are gone. Did we all think all 10 would come back to school and go through the process?
Just the more screwed up we find this system is I don't think you can go wielding a big stick and impulsively take scholarships away until the appeals are completed?
The original information was that they'd already lost their scholarships. Now they are enrolled. They have two appeals if the recommendations are upheld by the panel. We found out that the panel over turned the recommendation for Reggie Lynch and he was cleared. I don't think it's all crystal clear any more.

Also, Fleck is not going to be allowed to make that decision solely himself in this situation...I'm pretty sure. There are too many flaws in the system to add fuel to the damages.

So Coyle is responsible for the conduct of Claeys players and recruits? Maybe Coyle should have been the head coach if he has to make every decision for Claeys. Claeys kicked Brian Smith off the team during the season, why didn't he kick off the players responsible in this situation?

Exactly, and he could have chosen to keep them all off the team due to their role involving the recruit after they were not sufficiently implicated for charges in the first Minneapolis Police investigation. But he agreed to reinstate them. And yet he preaches from on high about needing a change of culture and making the players accountable. Pathetic.

Get Fox News to broadcast a story on it and the King will release an executive order within the hour.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

<iframe src="//giphy.com/embed/Fml0fgAxVx1eM" width="480" height="558" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="http://giphy.com/gifs/jennifer-lawrence-thumbs-up-ok-Fml0fgAxVx1eM">via GIPHY</a></p>

So Coyle is responsible for the conduct of Claeys players and recruits? Maybe Coyle should have been the head coach if he has to make every decision for Claeys. Claeys kicked Brian Smith off the team during the season, why didn't he kick off the players responsible in this situation?

Yes - he is responsible for the entire department. He is the AD. That is why he gets paid the big bucks. Don't try and tell us the AD is not involved with player suspensions. Don't think for a minute that the interim AD was not involved/consulted when Pitino suspended the basketball players in the video a year ago, or the AD wasn't involved/consulted when Reggie Lynch was suspended.

Exactly, and he could have chosen to keep them all off the team due to their role involving the recruit after they were not sufficiently implicated for charges in the first Minneapolis Police investigation. But he agreed to reinstate them. And yet he preaches from on high about needing a change of culture and making the players accountable. Pathetic.

A math problem
Whitchhunt + Kangaroo Court{Coyle poor decisions X Kaler lack of leadership} = ????????????

Yes - he is responsible for the entire department. He is the AD. That is why he gets paid the big bucks. Don't try and tell us the AD is not involved with player suspensions. Don't think for a minute that the interim AD was not involved/consulted when Pitino suspended the basketball players in the video a year ago, or the AD wasn't involved/consulted when Reggie Lynch was suspended.

Never said he wasn't 'involved'. Claeys is the CEO of the football team, he is first responsible for the players and their actions. He is responsible for the players that come into the program and leave the program. If he needs an AD to tell him how to do his job, he shouldn't be a head coach, which is why he no longer is. The constant deflection of blame off of Claeys on this site is amazing.

To your first point, the second 5 people were sanctioned due to their testimony. Based on that, in the future would you be willing to testify in an EOAA investigation if you were asked?

I don't recall the exact numbers, but there were a lot more people interviewed than just the players being charged. The EOAA also has access to the texts which may also put them in the apartment. Point being it wasn't just each players testimony that put them there.

And yes, I would absolutely take the opportunity to defend myself if offered. And if I felt like they got my punishment wrong I would do exactly what the players are doing now.

I always thought that Goetz (or possibly even higher up than her) was behind the basketball suspensions after the twitter video debacle. Just thought it was weird that Pitino said he expected those guys to play in the next game and then a day or two later they were suspended for the remainder of the season. Don't know that for certain, but for me it just didn't add up.

Never said he wasn't 'involved'. Claeys is the CEO of the football team, he is first responsible for the players and their actions. He is responsible for the players that come into the program and leave the program. If he needs an AD to tell him how to do his job, he shouldn't be a head coach, which is why he no longer is. The constant deflection of blame off of Claeys on this site is amazing.

Your constant deflecting of any accountability and responsibility by Coyle is amazing.

Never said he wasn't 'involved'. Claeys is the CEO of the football team, he is first responsible for the players and their actions. He is responsible for the players that come into the program and leave the program. If he needs an AD to tell him how to do his job, he shouldn't be a head coach, which is why he no longer is. The constant deflection of blame off of Coyle on this site,by GWG is amazing.

There, I fixed it for you.
See my post #457.

I always thought that Goetz (or possibly even higher up than her) was behind the basketball suspensions after the twitter video debacle. Just thought it was weird that Pitino said he expected those guys to play in the next game and then a day or two later they were suspended for the remainder of the season. Don't know that for certain, but for me it just didn't add up.

This is how an AD should act. When things come up within a particular program, the AD must step in and make tough decisions. Goetz did in the BB case, Coyle did not in the FB case.

Is Carlton Djam at the epicenter of this train derailment?

Someplace in another GH thread, it was mentioned he was picked by Billy Glasscock to be a host because of his GPA.

Is that true?

I read somewhere that her changing stories shows her desire to set the record straight as she recalls new items. It makes her more credible, not less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Or memory problems caused by alcohol abuse....

and eroding the defendants ability to be perceived as innocent until proven guilty.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Don't confuse the reality that Claeys paid for his mistakes as deflection of blame. He made decisions, he got fired.

So what exactly happened to the AD for his failure to do his job?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is how an AD should act. When things come up within a particular program, the AD must step in and make tough decisions. Goetz did in the BB case, Coyle did not in the FB case.

And especially when you are dealing with a first year head coach.

It's obvious you guys will never figure it out. Maybe down the road when Coyle is still here and Claeys is not a head coach, you'll finally connect the dots.

It's obvious you guys will never figure it out. Maybe down the road when Coyle is still here and Claeys is not a head coach, you'll finally connect the dots.

We already know the system is rigged and those in power and control cover their asses. This is a classic case.

Maybe you're right and there is some crazy Da Vinci Code sh*t going on here. Once you've infiltrated the Illuminati and can throw open the curtains on the real situation, please pass around the secret decoder ring so the rest of us can get on board.

Maybe the dumbest post in GH history?

No, I think this one of yours is...

Claeys is a very good position/coordinator coach, but he will never again be a P5 head coach. Coyle knows a lot more details about the situation than any of us arm chair jurors/lawyers do, and he will survive this ordeal. It is quite easy to jump to conclusions and proclaim your brilliance when you pontificate to a group that will never know all of the facts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just because Coyle survives does not mean he should survive here. An amazing lack of leadership and situation management from the ad of a major university.

Along with an incredible ability to ignore the obvious from weather guy.

Top Bottom