All Things Gopher Players Appeals Process

How damaging will it be for Coyle if it comes out that he recommended to Claeys that the players testify, thus implicating even more than were originally involved. This could be why the team was so upset and felt betrayed and chose to boycott which eventually led to Claeys getting fired. Coyle should be gone immediately if that's how this happened.

Coyle is skating at this point. I hope the truth comes out and he gets what he deserves.

The players, who want to remain enrolled in the U, have appealed the penalties recommended against them by the U’s Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action. Expulsion from campus has been recommended for five player — Ray Buford, Carlton Djam, Kiante Hardin, Dior Johnson and Tamarion Johnson. One-year suspensions were recommendedy for Seth Green, Kobe McCrary, Mark Williams and Antoine Winfield Jr. Probation was recommended Antonio Shenault...

The U “surprised” Pacyga and his client last night by clarifying the role the player played in the alleged assault, he said.

“The university is not going after Mr. [Antoine] Winfield Jr. for any alleged sexual conduct nor any alleged request for any sexual contact with the reporting student,” Pacyga said.

Pacyga said the student is now being accused of being outside the bedroom door during the alleged sexual assault.

“I don’t know if it’s a break,” he said. “But nonetheless, I’m grateful the issue was narrowed, because it was vague and wide up to that point.”

Pacyga added that others got a similar break, but would not say whom.

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...ion-hearings-head-into-final-hours/412020566/

I'm not sure that's good for Winfield Jr. Now they have to either prove he wasn't there or he wasn't aware any thing other than a consensual act was occurring.

Pacyga said Friday that the accused players called on witnesses to testify, including former coach Tracy Claeys, who spoke to the proceedings via phone.

“He wasn’t going overboard to try to support the players,” Pacyga said of Claeys’ testimony. “It seemed to be very fair testimony.”

I imagine he started his testimony by saying "it's hard to win on the road in the Big Ten and the kids played hard."

I'm not sure that's good for Winfield Jr. Now they have to either prove he wasn't there or he wasn't aware any thing other than a consensual act was occurring.

Probably a face saving move by the committee. Wonder if the Student Code of Conduct requires students to report or try and stop crimes and/or violations? If the act was consensual there wasn't a crime, except maybe for having sex with a minor.

If it wasn't consensual and that's in the Code of Conduct, then besides assault, under age drinking, illegal use of drugs, vandalism, cheating etc. would all have to be stopped or reported by students otherwise those students should face suspension or expulsion.

That certainly would solve any over enrollment problems.

That's why it's a good guess that the Student Code of Conduct doesn't have that clause in there.

Pacyga said Friday that the accused players called on witnesses to testify, including former coach Tracy Claeys, who spoke to the proceedings via phone.

“He wasn’t going overboard to try to support the players,” Pacyga said of Claeys’ testimony. “It seemed to be very fair testimony.”

I imagine he started his testimony by saying "it's hard to win on the road in the Big Ten and the kids played hard."

You'd be wrong. Either Ch.4 or 5, said he was questioned about getting the players to testify. He said he asked them to testify.

"Next week’s decision isn’t likely to end the matter. The players have the option of appealing to the provost. If that doesn’t go their way, their lawyers say they will take the case to federal court." quote from the Star Tribune piece
So, with all the evidence the university's process will not allow, the tape confirming it was consensual, not allowing the police investigator to speak, not allowing others to speak, etc ... the time they shortened and limited for each player to roughly 30 minutes, but gave the girl 3 hours, the guys that either were outside the room or were not even there but are recommended for punishment, the girl taking the 5th, her story changing in each setting, etc etc etc I can't imagine the attorneys don't prevail in Federal court. In which case hopefully this ridiculous system is entirely revamped.

So we'll know the results of this thing by next Friday? That's probably the deadline for whether or not any of them remain Gophers.

They may be successful in their fight further down the road, but I can't see any of them staying if it goes past next week.

So we'll know the results of this thing by next Friday? That's probably the deadline for whether or not any of them remain Gophers.

They may be successful in their fight further down the road, but I can't see any of them staying if it goes past next week.

Yeah. I doubt the Gophers can reserve those scholarships until resolution especially if it goes to the court system.

So, situational ethics. It's only bad and a terrible culture if you get caught. Got it. Given what was in the police report. Given that an AD at a Power 5 Conference cannot fein ignorance on the title IX process, seems like maybe the AD should have suspended the players right then and there. Would he have been vilified? You bet he would have. For doing the right thing. Not for hoping the whole thing would go away, which is what Mark Coyle did. That is not leadership. That is a fireable offense, and the righteousness he's displayed in the aftermath displays his open hypocrisy. The man has no moral compass and no integrity. He needs to go.

Based on what? Letting the school conclude their investigation?

This whole thread is about the players being 'unfairly punished' and now your changing your story to Coyle should be fired because he didn't punish them longer? Really can't make it up

Saving the scholarships might be part of the resolution. Then the NCAA would have to get involved. Might be the " move" that attracts the Trump administration.

You read somewhere? Written by who? The girls dad?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It has been some time since I read the EOAA report, but quite sure it explained her inconsistencies on further recollection and stated it showed a desire to set the record straight.

There is a simple explanation, participation is supposed to be voluntary, the EOAA doesn't have subpoena authority. The pressuring of the players to testify ,could be used to show bias, on the part of the administration. You can be sure there will be federal law suits no matter what the appeals panel decides.

So if the point to have TC testify is to set up further litigation, I can see that. I guess I just don't see why his testimony is relevant in this proceeding. I see your point.

It has been some time since I read the EOAA report, but quite sure it explained her inconsistencies on further recollection and stated it showed a desire to set the record straight.

Unless she's CLEARING people with these new recollections, I'd be extremely skeptical... I mean come on, if the accused changed their stories they'd be assumed to be lying/covering up. Right? Why does she get a pass? If SHE changes her story it's because she's trying to be honest? I get she was majorly intoxicated, but perhaps investigators should have taken her story w a grain of salt to begin with.

Unless she's CLEARING people with these new recollections, I'd be extremely skeptical... I mean come on, if the accused changed their stories they'd be assumed to be lying/covering up. Right? Why does she get a pass? If SHE changes her story it's because she's trying to be honest? I get she was majorly intoxicated, but perhaps investigators should have taken her story w a grain of salt to begin with.

You may have missed the sarcasm in my original post. I agree with everything you said above and have expressed my opinion about the extremely biased EOAA report on here countless times.

One exception - the majorly drunk comment is another false narrative. The facts are she hadn't had any drinks in many hours and the police that saw the video stated she did not appear drunk. The only place I have seen it reported that she was majority drunk (other than on GH) is in the mentioned extremely biased EOAA report.

You may have missed the sarcasm in my original post. I agree with everything you said above and have expressed my opinion about the extremely biased EOAA report on here countless times.

One exception - the majorly drunk comment is another false narrative. The facts are she hadn't had any drinks in many hours and the police that saw the video stated she did not appear drunk. The only place I have seen it reported that she was majority drunk (other than on GH) is in the mentioned extremely biased EOAA report.

I was hoping you were being sarcastic on the original post, wasnt quite sure tho. That's why I made the comment of maybe it was the dad who wrote "if she changes her story it's because she's being honest" [emoji23] wtf?

Wow, if this is true, and he's getting punished, the OEAA or whatever needs to get disbanded. Plus, didn't the GIRL commit statutory rape by having sex w a minor? I hope to see Antoine on the field for us next year.

Hopefully this is true. Wouldn't the other four want to make this same claim? That they were trying to put an end to it although they would be throwing the other five out to dry in doing so.

From the Pioneer Press Article: "
Five of the players, including Winfield, were not alleged to have had sexual contact with the woman that night. Pacyga said Winfield came into the apartment to get a 17-year-old recruit out of the situation and left shortly after doing so. Pacyga also said the author of the report clarified on Thursday that she did not find that Winfield was involved in the sexual activity, but instead was found to have violated the student conduct code for being present outside the bedroom at the time."

Wow. So, the message being sent to student athletes is if something bad is happening, run away, don't try to go in and break it up or to help someone get out of there.

I apologize if this has been brought up in another thread.
This incident happened at a party in an apartment complex late in the evening.
How is it that the only people who were investigated and found to have done something wrong were 10 football players.
Were they the only 10 at the party or around that area?
If they were not the only people in the apartment, then why aren't the others who were there also up for some type of probation or expulsion.
Along with that, some of the evidence used was text messages to the Empire Group. Wouldn't that Group text include most if not all of last years recruiting class? Maybe they were, but why weren't more of them questioned by the EOAA? Why were the second 5 singled out and then sanctioned?

From the Pioneer Press Article: "
Five of the players, including Winfield, were not alleged to have had sexual contact with the woman that night. Pacyga said Winfield came into the apartment to get a 17-year-old recruit out of the situation and left shortly after doing so. Pacyga also said the author of the report clarified on Thursday that she did not find that Winfield was involved in the sexual activity, but instead was found to have violated the student conduct code for being present outside the bedroom at the time."

Wow. So, the message being sent to student athletes is if something bad is happening, run away, don't try to go in and break it up or to help someone get out of there.

AWjr11's Dad has stated from the start that his son was included because the girl remembered a black guy with blonde hair being there (something like that - was said on OTL). Carter C has claimed that another kid wasn't even there but was included because the accuser picked him out of a photo array as looking like someone that was there.

It is very clear that the EOAA feels someone should be suspended from the U for being there - whether or not they did anything, knew of anything, or maybe even if they were there to help a 17-year old (not proven). Yeah, this is one heck of a system.

How is it that the only people who were investigated and found to have done something wrong were 10 football players.
If they were not the only people in the apartment, then why aren't the others who were there also up for some type of probation or expulsion.
Along with that, some of the evidence used was text messages to the Empire Group. Wouldn't that Group text include most if not all of last years recruiting class? Maybe they were, but why weren't more of them questioned by the EOAA? Why were the second 5 singled out and then sanctioned?

They were singled out because the accuser said they were there. They were all football players because the photo array given to the accuser to identify those there consisted of only football players. No agenda here.

Those are some great questions, this whole investigation is very flawed. If this goes to federal court I can't see how the players will lose.

How damaging will it be for Coyle if it comes out that he recommended to Claeys that the players testify, thus implicating even more than were originally involved. This could be why the team was so upset and felt betrayed and chose to boycott which eventually led to Claeys getting fired. Coyle should be gone immediately if that's how this happened.

The only way Coyle would be in trouble is if he tried to get the players NOT to testify. For 2 reasons.
1. Cause they would be dumb not to. People can say what they want about the bias of an EOAA investigation (and they would be right to a degree), but it doesn't make sense to not even meet with the EOAA to give your side of the story. Unless of course you actually are guilty.
2. Ethically it would be a horrible decision to tell them not to testify. The AD telling student-athletes not to cooperate with a school investigation? That's a terrible look. It's not Coyle's job to protect them from punishment if they did something wrong. And it's kind of disturbing to me that some of my fellow Gopher fans seem to think it is.

Those are some great questions, this whole investigation is very flawed. If this goes to federal court I can't see how the players will lose.

Guilt by association is what fuels the mob mentality in situations like this. The EOAA is a consensual participant in this.

Coyle is skating at this point. I hope the truth comes out and he gets what he deserves.

This isn't aimed at you specifically by any means. It's just a post that relates to something I find odd. How does everyone know exactly what coyle, Kaler and Claeys did and didn't do? No one knows who knew what or when yet half of GH has dug their heels in for and/or against certain people. I really don't get it. Some things were handled poorly by EVERYONE involved, coach, ad, prez and players. But it's hard to vehemently defend or attack anyone without full knowledge of who knew what when or who did/didn't make or support decisions. It's taking a lot of fliers off your particular interpretation.

Saving the scholarships might be part of the resolution. Then the NCAA would have to get involved. Might be the " move" that attracts the Trump administration.

Get Fox News to broadcast a story on it and the King will release an executive order within the hour.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The players have good attorneys. There is zero doubt in my mind that if any of these questions produced answers that made the players look better that we would be hearing about it from them

This isn't aimed at you specifically by any means. It's just a post that relates to something I find odd. How does everyone know exactly what coyle, Kaler and Claeys did and didn't do? No one knows who knew what or when yet half of GH has dug their heels in for and/or against certain people. I really don't get it. Some things were handled poorly by EVERYONE involved, coach, ad, prez and players. But it's hard to vehemently defend or attack anyone without full knowledge of who knew what when or who did/didn't make or support decisions. It's taking a lot of fliers off your particular interpretation.

Extremely good post. I'd go as far as to call it ELITE

Top Bottom