How are things stacking up by position?

givetheballtodarrell

"Stroke the Post", Let's Go...
Reaction score
Is there a good source to go to that.stacks up current and projected players by position? I'm concerned about the depth at the ever important center position. Also, any news about to latest player meetings with the new staff?

There was this from Jan 18th

Is there a good source to go to that.stacks up current and projected players by position? I'm concerned about the depth at the ever important center position. Also, any news about to latest player meetings with the new staff?

Originally Posted by Oregon Gopher View Post
An update as to our scholarship grid:

QB- 6. Rhoda, Croft, Green, Williams, Morgan, McLaurin

RB-6. McCrary, Smith, Brooks, Femi-Cole, London, Ibrahim.

WR- 11. Carter, Holland, Gentry, Still, Register (may be a S as we've discussed), Johnson, Howard, Drew, Bell, DD, van Dyne.

TE- 8. Woz, Lingen, Beebe, Witham, Kieft, Paulson, Umlor, Bursch.

OT- 5. Greene, Oseland, Connelly, Sassack, Andries.

OG- 9. Mayes, Calhoun, Wright, Weyler, Stieber, Dovich, Schlueter, Abojei, Schmitz.

OC-1. Olson.

DE- 7. Elmore, Gibson, Delat, Johnson, Devers, Otomewo, Hickox.

DT- 6. Jackson, Stelter, Richardson, Moore, Chambers, Croslen.

ILB- 4. Poock, Williams, Waters, Barber.

OLB- 6. Celestin, Huff, Coughlin, Martin, Guthrie, Jackson. Edit: Bryson Jackson flipped to Baylor

CB- 9. Shenault, Hardin, Buford, Thomas, Craighton, Durr, Creamer, Layne, Estes (assuming he changes position)

S- 5. McGhee, Ayinde, Huff, Johnson, Winfield. add: Holly and Beck incoming 1/22

K- 2. Ryerse, Carpenter

P- 1. Santoso.

LS- 1. Jordahl.

That makes 87 but does not include the purported award of a scholie to Ca$hman this summer. 24 scholarships assigned to this recruiting cycle.

Breakdown of classes for the 87:

Senior 17
Junior 16 (includes McLaurin and Carpenter)
Sophomore 20
Freshman 34 (11 redshirt, 23 true) now 25 true

I have heard nothing on here about any other transfers or players no longer on the team after January 1st, other than starting center Tyler Moore who transferred to Oklahoma St. Anybody else anybody?

I have heard nothing on here about any other transfers or players no longer on the team after January 1st, other than starting center Tyler Moore who transferred to Oklahoma St. Anybody else anybody?

Since all players should be enrolled in school by now I would assume it would have come out. Although I'm not sure how to check current enrollment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FWIW, Oregon Gopher's grid of 87 scholarships includes 9 of the suspended "Gopher 10" players. By position: 3 CB, 2 S, 2 QB, 1 RB and 1 DL. If none of them return - for whatever reason - that changes the grid quite a bit. That may be why the new coaching staff continues to recruit so hard. In all fairness, the coaches are in a difficult situation, and I suspect/assume they need to have several contingency plans ready depending on whether some, all or none of the suspended players are available for next season. Another what-if - what if some of them do get a 1-year suspension, but want to return for 2018? do they get to stay on scholarship, and how does that count against the scholly limits?

FWIW, Oregon Gopher's grid of 87 scholarships includes 9 of the suspended "Gopher 10" players. By position: 3 CB, 2 S, 2 QB, 1 RB and 1 DL. If none of them return - for whatever reason - that changes the grid quite a bit. That may be why the new coaching staff continues to recruit so hard. In all fairness, the coaches are in a difficult situation, and I suspect/assume they need to have several contingency plans ready depending on whether some, all or none of the suspended players are available for next season. Another what-if - what if some of them do get a 1-year suspension, but want to return for 2018? do they get to stay on scholarship, and how does that count against the scholly limits?

If all the coaches had to go, all the way down to what, 20 people?...how can at minimum the 5 players stay? The fact they are aggressively going after people with more visits again next weekend and looking for more commitments from this weekend says the 5 at minimum are gone. Coyle said 100 times: "It is a privilege not a right to play for the Gophers" Does all the coaches gone for that reason seem fair? Seems a lot more fair if the players are gone than the coaches. The whole thing is messed up. But, I can't imagine these guys will be on the team based on all the words and actions to date. There must be provisions for taking away their scholarships under these circumstances. Nothing else explains the recruiting activity...that I'm currently seeing.

His is a couple days behind and doesn't acknowledge what has been widely reported that Carpenter received a scholarship.

Here's the nightly update as to our scholarship grid:

QB- 6. Rhoda, Croft, Green, Williams, Morgan, McLaurin

RB-6. McCrary, Smith, Brooks, Femi-Cole, London, Ibrahim.

WR- 11. Carter, Holland, Gentry, Still, Register (may be a S as we've discussed), Johnson, Howard, Drew, Bell, DD, van Dyne.

TE- 8. Woz, Lingen, Beebe, Witham, Kieft, Paulson, Umlor, Bursch.

OT- 5. Greene, Oseland, Connelly, Sassack, Andries.

OG- 9. Mayes, Calhoun, Wright, Weyler, Stieber, Dovich, Schlueter, Abojei, Schmitz.

OC-1. Olson.

DE- 7. Elmore, Gibson, Delat, Johnson, Devers, Otomewo, Hickox.

DT- 6. Jackson, Stelter, Richardson, Moore, Chambers, Croslen.

ILB- 4. Poock, Williams, Waters, Barber.

OLB- 5. Celestin, Huff, Coughlin, Martin, Guthrie.

CB- 10. Shenault, Hardin, Buford, Thomas, Craighton, Durr, Creamer, Layne, Estes (assuming he changes position), Beck.

S- 6. McGhee, Ayinde, Huff, Johnson, Winfield, H-H.

K- 2. Ryerse, Carpenter

P- 1. Santoso.

LS- 1. Jordahl.

That makes 88 but does not include the purported award of a scholie to Ca$hman this summer. 25 scholarships assigned to this recruiting cycle (3 of which entered school early and may be reassigned to last years class).

Breakdown of classes for the 88:

Senior 17
Junior 16 (includes McLaurin and Carpenter)
Sophomore 20
Freshman 35 (11 redshirt, 24 true)

If all the coaches had to go, all the way down to what, 20 people?...how can at minimum the 5 players stay? The fact they are aggressively going after people with more visits again next weekend and looking for more commitments from this weekend says the 5 at minimum are gone. Coyle said 100 times: "It is a privilege not a right to play for the Gophers" Does all the coaches gone for that reason seem fair? Seems a lot more fair if the players are gone than the coaches. The whole thing is messed up. But, I can't imagine these guys will be on the team based on all the words and actions to date. There must be provisions for taking away their scholarships under these circumstances. Nothing else explains the recruiting activity...that I'm currently seeing.

I think the five recommended for expulsions are gone if Mark Coyle is true to his word. From what have been said repeatedly, one most likely will be on probation. The other four are facing degrees of suspensions or exoneration and are at the mercy of the appeal process. That said, you take Kyle Goblirsch's Scholarship Grid with 85 and you remove Bryson Jackson and add Kendarian Handy-Holly and Adam Beck. That gives you 86. Now, we have a fence sitter in Raheem Layne. If he leaves for Wake Forest or Virginia Tech, then we'll be at 85 scholies.

That gives you a "safe" scholie limit of 85 contingent upon the fate of 10 players.

Based on the Pioneer Press, most likely we'd lost two CBs (Ray Buford, Kiante Hardin), S (Dior Johnson), RB (Carlton Djam), and DE Tamarion Johnson. That is five scholies that most likely will have to be filled for sure in addition to the current 24/25 (w/o or w/Raheem Layne staying) commitments.

The fate of CB Antonio Shenault, RB Kobe McCrary, S Antoine Winfield, QBs Demarcus Williams & Seth Green is up to the disciplinary board in the appeals process. These guys are facing up to one year suspensions. At least one have expressed a desire to transfer.

This is definitely a coaching/recruiting nightmare and the reason for the frenetic pace of recruiting.

Potentially they'll have to fill as many as four openings from suspensions. If Raheem Layne stays, it will be three scholies that need filling. If they cannot fill some of them this recruiting class being so late in the game, they may bank the remaining scholies (minus one being awarded to Emmet Carpenter).

There'll be a minimum of seventeen scholies opening next year with Seniors graduating not counting any future transfers, graduating early, or declaring to leave early and enter the NFL Draft.

I don't know if this scenario is what will transpire until after the ruling from the appeals is rendered.

http://www.twincities.com/2016/12/13/gophers-football-team-suspends-10-players-indefinitely/

Maybe McCrary will be gone? There are still two running backs scheduled for visits.

Maybe McCrary will be gone? There are still two running backs scheduled for visits.

McCrary is a Senior. Is Rodney Smith declaring for the NFL Draft or did someone expressed desire to switch positions?

McCrary is a Senior. Is Rodney Smith declaring for the NFL Draft or did someone expressed desire to switch positions?

McCrary will be a senior, I'm saying maybe they won't want him back. I didnt think Djam was on scholarship.

I think the five recommended for expulsions are gone if Mark Coyle is true to his word. From what have been said repeatedly, one most likely will be on probation. The other four are facing degrees of suspensions or exoneration and are at the mercy of the appeal process. That said, you take Kyle Goblirsch's Scholarship Grid with 85 and you remove Bryson Jackson and add Kendarian Handy-Holly and Adam Beck. That gives you 86. Now, we have a fence sitter in Raheem Layne. If he leaves for Wake Forest or Virginia Tech, then we'll be at 85 scholies.

That gives you a "safe" scholie limit of 85 contingent upon the fate of 10 players.

Based on the Pioneer Press, most likely we'd lost two CBs (Ray Buford, Kiante Hardin), S (Dior Johnson), RB (Carlton Djam), and DE Tamarion Johnson. That is five scholies that most likely will have to be filled for sure in addition to the current 24/25 (w/o or w/Raheem Layne staying) commitments.

The fate of CB Antonio Shenault, RB Kobe McCrary, S Antoine Winfield, QBs Demarcus Williams & Seth Green is up to the disciplinary board in the appeals process. These guys are facing up to one year suspensions. At least one have expressed a desire to transfer.

This is definitely a coaching/recruiting nightmare and the reason for the frenetic pace of recruiting.

Potentially they'll have to fill as many as four openings from suspensions. If Raheem Layne stays, it will be three scholies that need filling. If they cannot fill some of them this recruiting class being so late in the game, they may bank the remaining scholies (minus one being awarded to Emmet Carpenter).

There'll be a minimum of seventeen scholies opening next year with Seniors graduating not counting any future transfers, graduating early, or declaring to leave early and enter the NFL Draft.

I don't know if this scenario is what will transpire until after the ruling from the appeals is rendered.

http://www.twincities.com/2016/12/13/gophers-football-team-suspends-10-players-indefinitely/

There's a few mistakes in your numbers hungan1 and Kyle's board is a few days obsolete. In addition to removing Jackson and adding Handy-Holly and Beck is the need to add Estes (QB vs CB is debated). If Carpenter is rewarded as has been reported we now have 88 commits/scholarship players. Another error in your post is that Djam is not a scholarship player. So many permutations - none of us will know what this roster is likely to look like until after January 27.

There's a few mistakes in your numbers hungan1 and Kyle's board is a few days obsolete. In addition to removing Jackson and adding Handy-Holly and Beck is the need to add Estes (QB vs CB is debated). If Carpenter is rewarded as has been reported we now have 88 commits/scholarship players. Another error in your post is that Djam is not a scholarship player. So many permutations - none of us will know what this roster is likely to look like until after January 27.

You are right. Carlton is not on scholarship which means only nine suspended players with scholarships. If we add Carpenter & Cashman as walk-ons receiving scholarships, the number we come up is 88 based on everything we can scrape together. If Rheem Layne decides to decommit, the number will be 87.

Neil McLaurin enrolled early and I counted him as a Freshman taking the place of Tyler Moore transferring. Tanner Morgan and Trenton Guthrie also enrolled early. I counted them as part of the 2017 recruiting class.

This spreadsheet as good as I can get based on information available. Mind you this may not be entirely accurate.

2017 Gophers Scholarship.jpg

One thing I haven't seen clarified is how many years of eligibility McLaurin has left. He was injured in his first game of 2015 so not sure if that year is recoverable to leave him with 3?

Pretty sure Weyler played center in spot duty this year. I'd expect him to the Center next year.

Pretty sure Weyler played center in spot duty this year. I'd expect him to the Center next year.

I agree or perhaps Mayes returns to his original position. Should be interesting how the new OL coach works it.

If there are five expulsions (four on scholies), there will be 84 on scholies with one scholie to give. Two if Raheem Layne bolts.

The five players facing suspensions to exoneration: CB A Schenault, RB Kobe McCrary, S A Winfield Jr, QB D Williams, QB Seth Green. It is uncertain if any will transfer having to sit out a year or possibly lose a year of eligibility. Either way, it is a tough deal for these guys.

If there are five expulsions (four on scholies), there will be 84 on scholies with one scholie to give. Two if Raheem Layne bolts.

The five players facing suspensions to exoneration: CB A Schenault, RB Kobe McCrary, S A Winfield Jr, QB D Williams, QB Seth Green. It is uncertain if any will transfer having to sit out a year or possibly lose a year of eligibility. Either way, it is a tough deal for these guys.

The thing about any players that may be suspended is whether they could even maintain eligibility (I believe the suspensions would be academic suspensions as well as athletic). If so there is a minimum amount of progress you need to make to maintain eligibility based on year from HS graduation. You can see it here: http://www.ncaa.org/about/division-i-progress-toward-degree-requirements

Now those aren't exactly real high standards in my book. I remember taking 14 credits a quarter back in the day, sometimes more. But depending how proactive these players were, they could be in a situation where even when they come back they may not have enough credits to play. That could force their hands as to whether they transfer or not.

I wouldn't think they'd get a waiver, but I have no idea how that process works. I'm honestly surprised some or all of them haven't left already. Unless they've already been told they have no chance of getting into another school while this is hanging out there. But I've got to imagine there are schools that don't care (heck the U is allegedly going to quit asking if you're a felon!).

The thing about any players that may be suspended is whether they could even maintain eligibility (I believe the suspensions would be academic suspensions as well as athletic). If so there is a minimum amount of progress you need to make to maintain eligibility based on year from HS graduation. You can see it here: http://www.ncaa.org/about/division-i-progress-toward-degree-requirements

Now those aren't exactly real high standards in my book. I remember taking 14 credits a quarter back in the day, sometimes more. But depending how proactive these players were, they could be in a situation where even when they come back they may not have enough credits to play. That could force their hands as to whether they transfer or not.

I wouldn't think they'd get a waiver, but I have no idea how that process works. I'm honestly surprised some or all of them haven't left already. Unless they've already been told they have no chance of getting into another school while this is hanging out there. But I've got to imagine there are schools that don't care (heck the U is allegedly going to quit asking if you're a felon!).

I share your surprise that none have transferred. It seems like a no-brainer to me. If I were one of the freshmen "added five" I would enroll in a JUCO. Take classes in the summer, play football in the fall and reopen my recruitment after that. At least they would be playing while a year of eligibility expires. Winfield hasn't used his redshirt, so he could transfer immediately to another P5 school and sit out next year without being hurt from an eligibility standpoint. But he would need to make up class time in the summer, too.

I share your surprise that none have transferred. It seems like a no-brainer to me. If I were one of the freshmen "added five" I would enroll in a JUCO. Take classes in the summer, play football in the fall and reopen my recruitment after that. At least they would be playing while a year of eligibility expires. Winfield hasn't used his redshirt, so he could transfer immediately to another P5 school and sit out next year without being hurt from an eligibility standpoint. But he would need to make up class time in the summer, too.

I doubt many schools now would take anyone who is still under suspension or possible expulsion relating to sexual assault.

I doubt many schools now would take anyone who is still under suspension or possible expulsion relating to sexual assault.

I think there are many, many JUCOs that would be interested and take them if they were convinced the player was probably in the apartment but didn't have sex with the girl and could claim they didn't know anything illegal was occurring. After a year of keeping their nose clean, I think a lot of four-year schools would be interested.

I think there are many, many JUCOs that would be interested and take them if they were convinced the player was probably in the apartment but didn't have sex with the girl and could claim they didn't know anything illegal was occurring. After a year of keeping their nose clean, I think a lot of four-year schools would be interested.

Problem is I don't think without a leak they'll know that or not.

Like the player himself? A police report in which they're not implicated? Character references from his coaches?

What player wouldn't say they're a great guy?

Police report won't determine anything ....

Coaches who bought the guy there in the first place?

Top Bottom