Mason's epic shooting slump

Block M

Reaction score
What is going on? 16 for his last 62 from the field!

His intermediate game is completely gone. Hard to make tournament if those numbers do not improve. In some ways I'm shocked we have been competitive with him shooting so poorly.

It's not Otto Epic, but it's definitely concerning. I seem to recall this type of thing happening with Andre Hollins - cruised along in preseason, shot the ball fine, and suddenly in conference play he couldn't hit the lake from the boat... If he has normal shooting nights we're on a 2 game win streak. Why/how!?

Someone needs to get after him to set his feet and square up. Hard to hit shots the way he's taking them

I'm honestly starting to get sick of all of the off-balance shots he's been taking. His confidence seems to be down and we need to figure it out and get it fixed. It's tough when it's really 4-on-5.

Like others, it's hard not to notice the fundamental flaws in his shot right now. Lots of lean-ins, off-balance and shooting on the move don't allow him to release the ball properly. I would love to see Pitino create some sets to get Nate the ball with his feet underneath him and see what happens. We desperately need him to get out of this funk and start shooting the way he's capable of.

Like others, it's hard not to notice the fundamental flaws in his shot right now. Lots of lean-ins, off-balance and shooting on the move don't allow him to release the ball properly. I would love to see Pitino create some sets to get Nate the ball with his feet underneath him and see what happens. We desperately need him to get out of this funk and start shooting the way he's capable of.

Would agree. Get him some off ball screens and have Coffey get him the ball. Feel like Nate seeing the ball go through a few times on some clean looks would go miles

This wouldn't be a problem if we had a high-quality backup PG to run the show and take over until he gets his mojo back...

He's our version of Ricky Rubio, and it's really hurting our offense. He simply can't shoot.

In a perfect world, it was Mason that needed to shoot that final shot. He had a nice look about 4 seconds earlier and would have given us an opportunity for a rebound even if you did miss it. Sometimes, just shooting it is a good part of the offense. In that case, it would have given us a better chance to win. His lack of confidence is definitely hurting us..

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Someone needs to get after him to set his feet and square up. Hard to hit shots the way he's taking them

I'd also like to see him get a few more spot up shots to get him going

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#coacheslivesmatter

He has to shoot his way out because this team needs him. As stated in these earlier posts he will continue to struggle until he consistently squares up. Hope he gets hot this Wednesday.

He has to shoot his way out because this team needs him. As stated in these earlier posts he will continue to struggle until he consistently squares up. Hope he gets hot this Wednesday.

Maybe the coaching staff can help him with this.

Bring him off the low block for a corner 3. It is the easiest from the arc. If he hits a couple of those maybe he'll get his confidence back.

Bring him off the low block for a corner 3. It is the easiest from the arc. If he hits a couple of those maybe he'll get his confidence back.

Ya, because I have never seen him shoot from there so his mind is a clean slate. You listen to too many TV announcers. Not the easiest, the shortest in the NBA. His shot is the top of the key and elbows. We got him wide open easy early open looks to see the ball go through the net versus Wisconsin. He missed them.
100% it is a confidence thing. A coach can support, believe, encourage a shooter but if the coach believes more than the shooter it isn't much help. He's in a slump. He can shoot. It'll eventually end...I think :eek:

Ya, because I have never seen him shoot from there so his mind is a clean slate. You listen to too many TV announcers. Not the easiest, the shortest in the NBA. His shot is the top of the key and elbows. We got him wide open easy early open looks to see the ball go through the net versus Wisconsin. He missed them.
100% it is a confidence thing. A coach can support, believe, encourage a shooter but if the coach believes more than the shooter it isn't much help. He's in a slump. He can shoot. It'll eventually end...I think :eek:

Remember when Andre Hollins was off track. ( A lot had to do with his bad ankle ) that's how they got him back on track.

Remember when Andre Hollins was off track. ( A lot had to do with his bad ankle ) that's how they got him back on track.

Hollins was a pure shooter that could hit an open jumper from anywhere. Nate is more of a scorer than a pure shooter.

3 of 14 shooting needs to improve....but 10 assists is awesome.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Was that when that Wisconsin player undercut him within the 1st minute of that game?

I need to let it go but that reel occasionally plays in my head and it still pisses me off. A foul was never called but that act of undercutting Hollins was absolutely intentional, given Wisconsin's history of consistently making contact w/ shooters after the shot - a Bo Ryan learning gem that ended a players season.

Am a lot more worried about Murphy and Lynch than I am Mason. Mason is and will be fine. The other 2 starting to have serious concerns, especially Murph.

Am a lot more worried about Murphy and Lynch than I am Mason. Mason is and will be fine. The other 2 starting to have serious concerns, especially Murph.

Do you think the coaching staff will be able to help set them right?

Pitino mentioned in OSU presser that he's been leaning on Springs to be a leader and try to get Mason and Murph back on track / playing with confidence.

He also made it clear that he didn't think iso scoring is Murphy's game and he needs to concentrate on other areas where he excels. It was a relief to hear Pitino say that, I've been wondering if this obvious fact is being communicated to Murph, very glad to know that it is. If he continues to try and go one on one and turn it over / force bad shots, he really doesn't have an excuse. I sure hope Murphy is taking this to heart and will adapt, we need production out of him moving forward and it's going to be tough if he doesn't accept his role. I think they should have Richard Coffey sit down with him - would be great if he emulated him.

In case it wasn't posted somewhere else - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvF5FK_vGv8

Not quite sure I understand 'back on track/playing with confidence.' I understand back on track /playing with confidence ''shooting wise," but he is the top guard in terms of assists in the Big Ten. He is playing with confidence assist wise, and if you are confident in dishing assists, I might argue he is not 'unconfident' shooting, since either dishing out a pass for an assist or shooting can be either or split second decisions. He is one of the top guards in the conference in the least amount of turnovers as well. Of course we need him scoring more, but to say that he is in need of confidence may be a bit of a stretch. I say you leave him alone so you don't end up messing up his assist and turnover play.

Not quite sure I understand 'back on track/playing with confidence.' I understand back on track /playing with confidence ''shooting wise," but he is the top guard in terms of assists in the Big Ten. He is playing with confidence assist wise, and if you are confident in dishing assists, I might argue he is not 'unconfident' shooting, since either dishing out a pass for an assist or shooting can be either or split second decisions. He is one of the top guards in the conference in the least amount of turnovers as well. Of course we need him scoring more, but to say that he is in need of confidence may be a bit of a stretch. I say you leave him alone so you don't end up messing up his assist and turnover play.

Mason played with confidence versus Wisconsin. Did lots of things well besides shoot. He did not do anything well versus Penn State, including playing with confidence. So, consistency from your leader is what you'd like to see. Murphy played without confidence versus Wisconsin...pouted and contributed little. So, overall play, not just shooting. Body language to teammates as captains is critical. That's what is being discussed...leadership.

Murphy only has 1 double digit rebound game since his huge 21 carom night against Mich St. 1 in the last 6 games. 1 rebound in 26 minutes against Wisconsin!

Hopefully he stays within 10 feet of the basket and gets to work. 10 reb a game would seem easy if he committed to it.

Top Bottom