Shows how much the bar has been lowered

I am disappointed with how we lost though. Wisconsin didn't look great today.

Yes, and the Gophers had something to do with that. I thought the team played pretty well today.

A close loss to Bucky should earn Little Richard a raise.

Doesn't take much for a 2-game losing streak to become a 5-game losing streak - and all the positive buzz from the early part of the season is gone out the window.

OK, so all the buzz is gone but in the 7 conference games played so far, the opponents have a collective conference record of .587 (27-19) and four of those were on the road. The team got a pretty tough conference schedule this year but I'm encouraged by the fact that three of their four conference losses so far are by a combined total of 5 points.

That we are now congratulating the team on a good effort in just another loss to Wisconsin. For goodness sakes the team just had a week off and a sellout crowd and still couldn't get the job done. Will they ever get the job done?

You should probably jump ship. Sounds like you really want to.

Foliage, as Pitino said, "if you cant see where this team is going you werent paying attention". You must not be paying attention. We are built a little different than wisconsin. We rely on gaurds for our offense both inside the paint and out and need all of them having good games. Could have used more from Mason as well as Murphy today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#coacheslivesmatter

Simple mathmatics. If Mason doesn't go 3-14 we win the game. Yes he played well well in the other parts of the game, but boys you win by putting the ball in the basket more than the other team does. Mason didn't. If he stays in the same funk, the results will be the same in the next game.

You could also say if we went worse than 9-17 from three than we wouldn't have even made it to OT. I thought we shot the ball really well today collectively despite Mason's struggles. Most games I don't think we would shoot it quite as well as we did.

Agreed. We are the only fan base in the country that would accept getting owned by our main rival in football and basketball like this. I guess that is probably why we have these embarrasing streaks going in the first place!

Not being pissed off after a tough loss doesn't equal acceptance. You can be frustrated with not being able to beat your biggest rival in both sports and not throw a tantrum over the loss today.

Not being pissed off after a tough loss doesn't equal acceptance. You can be frustrated with not being able to beat your biggest rival in both sports and not throw a tantrum over the loss today.

Yep you can throw a tantrum or not, I agree.

Still think 10-8 will happen and it should be the least that can be done in year 4. This is team with a ton of nice pieces and a freshman who is a nightmare match up for most teams. R. Pitino has done a nice job this year. What fans are frustrated by is having only one true quality win, at Purdue and that was huge, letting Michigan State off the hook hurts and the conference does not have many top tear teams. This team can beat anyone in the conference. The team deserves tons of credit for moving from a bottom 2 team to a team that will fight for 4th or 5th.

You guys are proving my point. The bar has been lowered so much by 8 win seasons that now we are content with home losses. Good teams used to come in the barn and get their butts kicked all the time. Almost never happens anymore!

We are in the beginning stages of a nice long streak of tourney teams for the Gophers. Pitino has this thing on the upswing - we may well make it this year and next year this is going to be a beast of a team. I am excited for the future even though this loss hurts bad.

We are in the beginning stages of a nice long streak of tourney teams for the Gophers. Pitino has this thing on the upswing - we may well make it this year and next year this is going to be a beast of a team. I am excited for the future even though this loss hurts bad.

We will see. Possible. Seems people were making similar statements when Tubby was here too though.

Game could've gone either way, WI just had some clutch 3's right at the end and we had some stupid turnovers. I'm disappointed obviously, but this is no way as bad as the first game vs. Michigan State where we completely blew the lead to lose. We were in a constant back-and-forth with WI, and we just ran out of time.

We will see. Possible. Seems people were making similar statements when Tubby was here too though.

Pitino is starting to bring in solid recruiting classes. Things will change. The roster is getting more talented. Next year will be another upgrade.

Agreed. We are the only fan base in the country that would accept getting owned by our main rival in football and basketball like this. I guess that is probably why we have these embarrasing streaks going in the first place!

WTF??? Are you kidding me? Didn't we just fire a coach who went 9-4 in football??? Seems to me we as a fan base are not all that accepting.

And some didn't want to give Pitino another season, either. Thankfully he got another season, because the team is vastly improved and recruiting is also vastly improved.

The team will hopefully start to figure out (coaches included) how to pull out some of these nail biters. They are very, very close to being one of the top teams in the league, but you've got to win these games!

Today's experience will help the guys going forward. Need to shake it off and get ready for the next one. I really like the fact that Curry is becoming a factor. Springs has been fantastic. Mason...if he could just shoot 40% in league!

We aren't going to beat them at the Kohl Center on Senior Day. That would put us at 0-7 over the last 3 years. We need to win games like today's if we want to avoid an Axe like embarrassment on the basketball side of the rivalry. Hopefully we beat them next season.
Not likely we win at the Kohl center but this team us very capable of an upset in Madison. It wouldn't surprise me if the Gophers win.

2-16 & 9-19.

Anyone here know what those numbers are?

How about

4-14 & 10-18???

How about this for a clue, what have been the two most successful seasons in Gopher Men's BB history over the last 30 years,, that still count???

They can easily go 5-3 the last 8. So I'll take 4-5 gladly. Being 500 in the B1G should not be our long-term goal. But this year I'll take it .

cjbfbp said:
Given that 4 Wisconsin senior starters pass on and this team loses only Springs, I'd say there is a pretty good chance of that.

I applaud the optimism but nothing in recent history suggests either of these things will likely happen. How many years have we said "the badgers are losing a bunch of seniors" only for the younger guys to step up the next year and lead them to the tournament? (And beat the Gophers in the process.)

Sure hope I am wrong but...

2-16 & 9-19.

Anyone here know what those numbers are?

How about

4-14 & 10-18???

How about this for a clue, what have been the two most successful seasons in Gopher Men's BB history over the last 30 years,, that still count???

Yep - Clem's first two years- which led to a sweet sixteen team and then an elite eight team. If your point is that we are heading in the same direction today if we don't give up- I agree with you.

+1

Moral victories still get marked in the loss column.
Moral victories don't get you into the NCAA Tournament.
Moral victories don't get you bowl bids.

Accepting moral victories is accepting losing.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

I really get a kick out of the "how can you accept this posts"? What do you want me to do? Write a letter? Empty my savings account? Shoot 100 free throws and report back?

The difference is Clem did the turn around in year 3 . However it did take Clem forever to get above 4th. Also, take out the year that did not count and was he anywhere near .500 in the conference. Richard is at 19-41 in the conference in year 4.

That we are now congratulating the team on a good effort in just another loss to Wisconsin. For goodness sakes the team just had a week off and a sellout crowd and still couldn't get the job done. Will they ever get the job done?

Verifiable growth being commended. Have we plateaued? Hell no! Have you ever grown anything in your life... like in a garden, or a stable or a child??? You are yelling at potting soil, foals and toddlers because they haven't matured fast enough. I bet I would have a problem with you if we were fellow parents of a 4th/5th graders ball team - you'd be eternally bitching about results and not realize that it's a trajectory upward that gets us to those results.

I really get a kick out of the "how can you accept this posts"? What do you want me to do? Write a letter? Empty my savings account? Shoot 100 free throws and report back?
Your choices are (1) not renewing your season tickets or (2) keeping them and leaving your seats empty in protest.

Verifiable growth being commended. Have we plateaued? Hell no! Have you ever grown anything in your life... like in a garden, or a stable or a child??? You are yelling at potting soil, foals and toddlers because they haven't matured fast enough. I bet I would have a problem with you if we were fellow parents of a 4th/5th graders ball team - you'd be eternally bitching about results and not realize that it's a trajectory upward that gets us to those results.
We are always "growing" something in this program. Nothing ever flowers. We grow to a certain point and then "bam!" we have to change the soil. We grow to another point and "bam!" we have to change the container. We get to another point and "bam!" we need to prune the plant. Like most of the insecure passive-aggressive population of this state we are so busy overanalyzing, overcompensating, looking over our shoulder that we ignore our goals: winning basketball games with respectable student-athletes.

We like to try to cheat the laws of physics and restart the shot in mid-air because the trajectory looks wrong. Never mind that we don't want to rebound or make free throws.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

We are always "growing" something in this program. Nothing ever flowers. We grow to a certain point and then "bam!" we have to change the soil. We grow to another point and "bam!" we have to change the container. We get to another point and "bam!" we need to prune the plant. Like most of the insecure passive-aggressive population of this state we are so busy overanalyzing, overcompensating, looking over our shoulder that we ignore our goals: winning basketball games with respectable student-athletes.

We like to try to cheat the laws of physics and restart the shot in mid-air because the trajectory looks wrong. Never mind that we don't want to rebound or make free throws.

This soil is still fresh and the photosynthetic process is happening as we speak. If nothing has bloomed one year from today then you can go ahead and uproot everything again, but I'm telling you, these seeds are going to grow to fruition.

Your choices are (1) not renewing your season tickets or (2) keeping them and leaving your seats empty in protest.

Oh. I don't have season tickets. Do I need to buy them, then cancel them?

This soil is still fresh and the photosynthetic process is happening as we speak. If nothing has bloomed one year from today then you can go ahead and uproot everything again, but I'm telling you, these seeds are going to grow to fruition.

I think you're right, but it's still concerning when your coach goes to the post game presser and says "I don't normally enjoy coaching during the games".

And I am going to disagree with you because we have been sold a false bill of goods on the coach. There is learning and there is being not able to perform at this level. It is evident now that he coasted his first three years here. This year should be the fruition of all the work and learning that he should have done, but it not.

He has recruited talent, but he can't make them into anything. He either recruited players who do not respect him or he recruited players to whom he cannot get to understand his message.

Top Bottom