Shows how much the bar has been lowered

Oh. I don't have season tickets. Do I need to buy them, then cancel them?
Yes, because it would be less absurd than continuing the "just be patient, the program needs time" chorus you keep shouting with your head stuck in the sand.

How can you defend a coach who goes into a press conference and says "I don't normally like to coach during the game"??

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

He has recruited talent, but he can't make them into anything. He either recruited players who do not respect him or he recruited players to whom he cannot get to understand his message.

On what grounds? The fact that Mason and Murphy have had a bad 10 days? This uptick in talent is because he assembled it. He's young and inexperienced himself, but I think he'll grow and improve as a coach. His comment that you referenced was annoying, and I'll tell you, I disliked how he allowed Mason to blow the last possession of the first half by settling for a low percentage shot and not running a play, which he does too often, but I'm guessing Pitino can realize that moving forward.

On what grounds? The fact that Mason and Murphy have had a bad 10 days? This uptick in talent is because he assembled it. He's young and inexperienced himself, but I think he'll grow and improve as a coach. His comment that you referenced was annoying, and I'll tell you, I disliked how he allowed Mason to blow the last possession of the first half by settling for a low percentage shot and not running a play, which he does too often, but I'm guessing Pitino can realize that moving forward.
How's that 2014-2015 recruiting class contributing to the team?

He is so lost that he has to be clubbed over the head to be clued in to important roles that a head coach plays.

He didn't get out-coached in the three conference wins and he just adjusted the starting lineup with Springs. He's raw, but he's not the fool you seem to be hoping for him to be.

We aren't going to beat them at the Kohl Center on Senior Day. That would put us at 0-7 over the last 3 years. We need to win games like today's if we want to avoid an Axe like embarrassment on the basketball side of the rivalry. Hopefully we beat them next season.

+10000000 This is what happens when Lynch can't stay on the court long enough. Konate can't hold onto a rebound in the waning seconds. This is such a frustrating loss it's absolutely ridiculous. That game was there for the taking and you let it slip through your fingers. Get your Sh!t together guys.

Yes, because it would be less absurd than continuing the "just be patient, the program needs time" chorus you keep shouting with your head stuck in the sand.

How can you defend a coach who goes into a press conference and says "I don't normally like to coach during the game"??

I'm pretty sure I've never said any of those things. But you feel free to keep pointing fingers, shaking your fist and muttering under your breath.

I applaud the optimism but nothing in recent history suggests either of these things will likely happen. How many years have we said "the badgers are losing a bunch of seniors" only for the younger guys to step up the next year and lead them to the tournament? (And beat the Gophers in the process.)

Sure hope I am wrong but...

Well, the Gophers did split with Wisconsin in Pitino's first year. That year was followed by one very disappointing year and one historically awful year. This year the turnaround is much better than most of us would have expected prior to the season and 3 of this team's 4 conference losses have been by a grand total of 5 points with two of those coming in overtime. This team may still have obvious weaknesses but I was fairly encouraged by what I saw yesterday.

I'm glad I'm a relatively recent Gopher fan and not haunted by emotional memories of the past that irrationally cloud my judgement. I can just watch each game and either approve or disapprove of what I see on the court with each outing. I also don't care that much about the team name on the opponent's jersey. Yes, we likely won't beat Wisconsin this year. So what? We won't beat Michigan State in the regular season either. What's really the difference? Some of you behave as if beating Wisconsin is worth 5 wins over other opponents. That's absolute irrational nonsense.

The new Wisconsin coach is off to a damn good start but he inherited a team with experience and talent and the youngest starter may be their best player overall. Still, Wisconsin isn't a Duke, Kentucky, or Kansas that automatically reloads every year with McDonalds All Americans and it remains to be seen whether this coach can reach the consistent success of Bo Ryan. I'm betting the odds are against that because Ryan was a more remarkable coach than most Gopher fans were willing to admit.

So disagreeing with you is more absurd than buying season tix, then dropping them right away to try to make a point?

Agreed. We are the only fan base in the country that would accept getting owned by our main rival in football and basketball like this. I guess that is probably why we have these embarrasing streaks going in the first place!

It's not accepting. Do you understand sports? It takes time to build a program. The team won 8 games in a scandal filled season last year. If you were expecting them to win 25 games that's on you. This team has already accomplished more than most people would have projected going into the season. I disagree with the thread title, this shows how much the bar has been raised because people expected the Gophers to win. So, last year or even 2 months ago were you expecting this team to beat the best team in the B1G?

This is a young team and it's on the rise. Pitino is recruiting a lot of talent now and they will come in and they will be good reinforcements for a team on the rise. This team is growing and when you're growing teams lose a lot of close games. It won't be long til they consistently win games like this. Give them time for goodness sakes. They literally started from the bottom 4 months ago.

Pretty clear to me the team is significantly better than last year.

Pretty clear to me that next year is a put up or shut up year for Richard.

Richard is proving this year he isn't terrible. Next year he has to prove he is good.

We are always "growing" something in this program. Nothing ever flowers. We grow to a certain point and then "bam!" we have to change the soil. We grow to another point and "bam!" we have to change the container. We get to another point and "bam!" we need to prune the plant. Like most of the insecure passive-aggressive population of this state we are so busy overanalyzing, overcompensating, looking over our shoulder that we ignore our goals: winning basketball games with respectable student-athletes.

We like to try to cheat the laws of physics and restart the shot in mid-air because the trajectory looks wrong. Never mind that we don't want to rebound or make free throws.

You're welcome to become a wisky troll anytime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#coacheslivesmatter

You're welcome to become a wisky troll anytime.

#coacheslivesmatter
Why? What if I am right and the believe me? That is too dangerous a proposition.

Why? What if I am right and the believe me? That is too dangerous a proposition.

Dont let the door hit you on the way out

#coacheslivesmatter

I think you're right, but it's still concerning when your coach goes to the post game presser and says "I don't normally enjoy coaching during the games".

I haven't looked at the post-game conference or anything, but maybe he was referring to over-coaching or micromanaging? I could see where it might get in players heads if their coach is constantly getting on them about every little thing they do. I remember Al Nolen being quoted awhile back saying something like, "Sometimes you have to tune Coach out and just play."

I thought I've also heard him say that coaching during games is very stressful and not exactly fun. So maybe he literally just means that in-game coaching is a mentally exhausting and unpleasant task, and is not trying to say that he just lets his players do their thing while he sits back and watches.

Sure seems like the bar has been raised! From 8 wins to a potential NCAA birth! I will take with this upgraded roster!

Well I am sure the homers on this site will be proud of another great effort tonight! Meanwhile in the real world people and potential recruits just see this as another big fat L for Minnesota.

I bet Pitino is proud of the way his guys fought. Ohio State made 1 or 2 more plays than us... Or something like that.

I bet Pitino is proud of the way his guys fought. Ohio State made 1 or 2 more plays than us... Or something like that.
Same ------, different day.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

Well I am sure the homers on this site will be proud of another great effort tonight! Meanwhile in the real world people and potential recruits just see this as another big fat L for Minnesota.

I hope Pitino tells everyone how proud of their effort he is....so close....This OSU team just got smoked by Northwestern at home:rolleyes:

The thing that bugs me is that 72 points is plenty to win but your not going to consistently win in the conference when you give up 78. Those are facts, not thoughts. Every mediocre power conference program that was built into a nationally relevant program did it by playing elite defense.

The thing that bugs me is that 72 points is plenty to win but your not going to consistently win in the conference when you give up 78. Those are facts, not thoughts. Every mediocre power conference program that was built into a nationally relevant program did it by playing elite defense.

7th best defense in the country isn't elite enough for you?

Top Bottom