Shows how much the bar has been lowered

Mn foliage

Banned
Reaction score
That we are now congratulating the team on a good effort in just another loss to Wisconsin. For goodness sakes the team just had a week off and a sellout crowd and still couldn't get the job done. Will they ever get the job done?

Relax. Lost to a top team with four very experienced seniors. Game could have gone either way. The folks that overreact to wins and overreact to losses is too much.

Sorry not going to relax until we actually take care of business!

It's insanity. People are actually mad that an eight win team from last year barely lost a close fought game to one of the best teams in the nation. Complain if we lose at home to northwestern or something. This ain't the hill to die on. I'm disappointed too but his is ridiculous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What was the spread before tip off? I'd guess we weren't favored in this one.

It's a Badgers team with remnant players from Back-to-Back FINAL FOUR appearances and they are still a ranked club - you CAN take something away from that loss. Jesus, do me a favor, when this young Gophers squad gets really rolling next year - DO NOT join our party. Stay in your negative pit of self-loathing.

It's insanity. People are actually mad that an eight win team from last year barely lost a close fought game to one of the best teams in the nation. Complain if we lose at home to northwestern or something. This ain't the hill to die on. I'm disappointed too but his is ridiculous.

+1. If they play this well the next two, they'll win at least one

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

You guys are proving my point. The bar has been lowered so much by 8 win seasons that now we are content with home losses. Good teams used to come in the barn and get their butts kicked all the time. Almost never happens anymore!

That we are now congratulating the team on a good effort in just another loss to Wisconsin. For goodness sakes the team just had a week off and a sellout crowd and still couldn't get the job done. Will they ever get the job done?

Yeah, they only had their worst record EVER last season, and already, just one season later, we're now supposed to beat Top 20 ranked teams???

The bar hasn't been lowered, fans are just being realistic. Wisconsin has been arguably the best program in the B1G conference over the last decade, and the Gophers were BY FAR the worst team in the conference JUST LAST YEAR, and in just one season, we have improved to the point that we were able to take Wisconsin to OT.

That deserves some congratulations. If you don't agree, well, that is your right, I guess. But its also other people's right to be realistic with their expectations. This team is still young in comparison, and can improve, and surely will improve. Next year could be a banner season, and I'm still holding out hope that this year could pan out pretty well, too.

Wtf do you mean the bar has been lowered. If anything the bar has been raised when we are disappointed by this loss.

What was the spread before tip off? I'd guess we weren't favored in this one.

Vegas opened with Gophers as 3 point home dogs, and the spread was +4 an hour before tip. Over/under was 132.

We aren't going to beat them at the Kohl Center on Senior Day. That would put us at 0-7 over the last 3 years. We need to win games like today's if we want to avoid an Axe like embarrassment on the basketball side of the rivalry. Hopefully we beat them next season.

We aren't going to beat them at the Kohl Center on Senior Day. That would put us at 0-7 over the last 3 years. We need to win games like today's if we want to avoid an Axe like embarrassment on the basketball side of the rivalry. Hopefully we beat them next season.

Agreed. We are the only fan base in the country that would accept getting owned by our main rival in football and basketball like this. I guess that is probably why we have these embarrasing streaks going in the first place!

I would say it's disappointment over a missed opportunity.

Gophers lost two games last week - needed a win to get momentum back. Had a chance to get a nice win over a solid opponent on the home court in front of a packed house.........and came up short.

Yes, this year's team is better than last year's team. But, if you're really trying to turn the program around, a win over WI would have helped convince fans (local and national) that good things are happening in MN. Instead, we get "nice effort."

Not to mention the fact that the Gophers had a real shot to win, but hit yet another offensive slump at a key point in the game. (an issue from last year that keeps cropping up.)

This team needs a win big-time. But, next week it's at Ohio State, and at home against Maryland. Neither game will be easy. Doesn't take much for a 2-game losing streak to become a 5-game losing streak - and all the positive buzz from the early part of the season is gone out the window.

It's not the end of the world - but it is a big missed opportunity.

I am not congratulating them. But I'm also not going to get irate about an OT loss. A long way to go.

Yah! 4-5, can't wait!
What is your expectation for this team? They can easily go 5-3 the last 8. So I'll take 4-5 gladly. Being 500 in the B1G should not be our long-term goal. But this year I'll take it

Simple mathmatics. If Mason doesn't go 3-14 we win the game. Yes he played well well in the other parts of the game, but boys you win by putting the ball in the basket more than the other team does. Mason didn't. If he stays in the same funk, the results will be the same in the next game.

I'm just tired of Wisconsin teams winning.

(well, college hockey doesn't count).

Packers, Badger football, badger basketball.
Sickening already. It's been going on for 20-30 years now.

This team is improving and they are far more fun to watch, so we're trending in the right direction.

What is your expectation for this team? They can easily go 5-3 the last 8. So I'll take 4-5 gladly. Being 500 in the B1G should not be our long-term goal. But this year I'll take it

and we'll say the same next year and the year after. Same old **** every year.

I don't think losing to Wisconsin in OT is too bad after how poorly we did last year. Of course expectations are lower. You don't go from 8 wins to being one of the top teams in the Big 10 in less than a year. It's going to take a few years to recover.

I am disappointed with how we lost though. Wisconsin didn't look great today. We missed a couple of free throws early that hurt. We couldn't shut down their big men and didn't really even try anything different to stop them. We consistently missed shots in the paint and took a lot of shots that we shouldn't have. That was a game we should have won.

and we'll say the same next year and the year after. Same old **** every year.
We bring back all but one player, so no. If going 9-9 this year and making the tournament isn't good enough for you, I don't know what to tell you.

I hope nobody is congratulating the team on a good effort. There was nothing that suggested Wisconsin would win this game easily: they were 2-2 on the road this year and just small favorites on the betting line despite the Gophers atrocious play in their last two games. This program hasn't been above .500 in conference play in over a decade that is extremely embarrassing and speaks very poorly of most people who've been associated with the program...there's no excuse for that. The losing has taken it's toll on the crowd (only the student section is making any noise, louder cheers for Badger early buckets from the rest of the crowd) and pulling out a game like today could have really helped point this program forward. It's literally the expected result to lose close games at home and that should be an exceedingly rare occurrence. If it's "tough to win" on the road in the B1G scrubs like Alvin Ellis shouldn't make both free throws to win a game and a 50% free throw shooter like Happ shouldn't come out of a timeout and knock one down in a huge spot in overtime. Yet these types of things continue to occur for visitors to the Barn.

We bring back all but one player, so no. If going 9-9 this year and making the tournament isn't good enough for you, I don't know what to tell you.

Amen!

I don't think losing to Wisconsin in OT is too bad after how poorly we did last year. Of course expectations are lower. You don't go from 8 wins to being one of the top teams in the Big 10 in less than a year. It's going to take a few years to recover.

I am disappointed with how we lost though. Wisconsin didn't look great today. We missed a couple of free throws early that hurt. We couldn't shut down their big men and didn't really even try anything different to stop them. We consistently missed shots in the paint and took a lot of shots that we shouldn't have. That was a game we should have won.

Even the announcers figured out what our game plan was - make them make tough twos instead of kick out threes - mason had that great game and now....with him in a shooting funk he can't be on the floor at winning time he missed both opportunities in OT - Hayes stuck his butt out on the last screen that opened up the winning three mason could have sold an offensive if IQ was better.

Not trying to pick a fight howeda7, just frustrating loss. I've been waiting for breakthrough season and expectations may have been enhanced with the non conf. and first part of big10. I feel like the team is underachieving as of late and was hoping for easy sailing into the tourney this year. Obviously Its going be a grind once again and I have to accept that slow progress is better than no progress. As a Minnesota sports fan moral victories seem to be all we can hope for as of late...

Top Bottom