Border rivals - getting nervous?

Who is Max McConnell and why do I care what he thinks?

My Iowa friends are very nervous. On FB people were praying Fleck didn't go to MN because they feared he would push them way ahead of Iowa.

Who is Max McConnell and why do I care what he thinks?

My Iowa friends are very nervous. On FB people were praying Fleck didn't go to MN because they feared he would push them way ahead of Iowa.

Iowa just needs to extend Ferentz.

I talked to three seperate Badger fans while I was in Las Vegas for work this week and they were all "nervous" about the new era of Gopher Football. Different ways of expressing it but yeah they were a bit worried.

Badger and Hawkeye friends of mine are definitely taking note. Wouldn't call it nervousness.

Please, people. Remember what it is like for Wisconsin and Iowa fans.

The ones who have it the worse are those who emigrated to Minnesota. Sadly, they had to leave their home for a better, more productive place to find work and try to improve their lives and the lives of their family. Of course they cling to the accomplishments of their homeland football teams, especially when they triumph over the Gophers. It allows for a slight easing of their survivor's guilt for leaving those they love in the dreary, backwards lands known as Wisconsin and Iowa.

For those still in Iowa and Wisconsin, do not deny they the small joy they find in their dreadful lives. When the Gophers, in any sport, defeat one of those teams we should all fell a small pang of guilt at the way it has taken joy away from those who have so little to rejoice about.

And please, please, recognize that I am joking! :). I rather like both of those states. But dammit I hate losing to them. :mad:

Looks like the momentum is getting the Hawkeye and Badger fans nervous....

Hawkeye Recruiting
‏@Iowa_Recruiting
I don't hate PJ Fleck at all. He seems like a great guy. But wow do I hate these Minnesota fans now....
https://twitter.com/Iowa_Recruiting

Max McConnell ‏
@MaxMcConnell33
America might be divided, but at least everyone hates the Gophers lol
https://twitter.com/MaxMcConnell33

Sounds like they aren't bothered by the team's possible change in fortune rather than the Gopher fans who take the opportunity to puff out their chest because of the hire. I guarantee that after 13 straight wins the Badgers aren't scared of Minnesota.

Hawkeye and Badger fans being nervous is meh. I think I'm looking for something along the lines of Toronto's epic loss. (AKA: Our last 13 games with them.) Maybe the universe will hit Wisconsin with heartbreaking meltdown endings for 13 years. I'd settle for one in 2017.

Yup, I think they will all now forfeit because PJ is here. This helps our odds a lot, but they still have more players than we have. Settle down a little, the staff the staff has rowed the boat for all of about 2 weeks.

Always laugh at the foolishness...somehow Fleck is now going to be dominating Wisc and Iowa? Seriously, all the other Big Ten teams have coaches that recruit and facilities and stadiums and what not, plus there are 50+ other P5 schools chasing the same recruits. Fleck will by doing good if he can have a recruiting class in the Top 30 and top half of Big Ten...but I wouldn't bet on it happening. Want to win at MN...do it with a Senior laden team that has worked their ass off and get lucky with a light schedule. Otherwise, 9 wins and a bowl in the sunshine is a great year.

Always laugh at the foolishness...somehow Fleck is now going to be dominating Wisc and Iowa? Seriously, all the other Big Ten teams have coaches that recruit and facilities and stadiums and what not, plus there are 50+ other P5 schools chasing the same recruits. Fleck will by doing good if he can have a recruiting class in the Top 30 and top half of Big Ten...but I wouldn't bet on it happening. Want to win at MN...do it with a Senior laden team that has worked their ass off and get lucky with a light schedule. Otherwise, 9 wins and a bowl in the sunshine is a great year.

So why can Wisconsin do it and we can't? Sounds like you need a culture change.

^^^^^^^^^^^€^^^^^^^^^%%%^^^^^%^^%%^^^^
This is what has been wrong with Gopher Football starting from the top on down ..Low self esteem and low confidence..

So why can Wisconsin do it and we can't? Sounds like you need a culture change.

Sorry, missed the run of Big Ten titles and playoff invites/Championship games Wisconsin has had in the last 50 years.

List all the National Champs from the Big Ten since 1970 other than tOSU or scUM? If you answered Michigan State once, you get a cookie. (Nebraska and PSU weren't in the Big Ten when they won and haven't won since joining). I get the excitement but to think that MN is going to be able to compete for National Championships is a bit delusional. Can we reach Wisconsin/Iowa levels...I hope so. And like Iowa and Wisconsin, we can win 8-10 games per year and in a year where we have a weaker schedule, a strong team of upper class and some luck, we can get to one of the New Year 6 bowls. But for us to jump not only the top 5 teams in the Big Ten but also the top teams in the other P5 conferences to be one of the 4 top teams in the land is so unlikely and unrealistic as to be a pipe dream. Would love to be wrong...but it is unlikely.

Troy Creamer is apparently visiting Iowa this weekend.

y'all are stupid if you think wisconsin cares about us right now - we've lost to them 13 times in a row

That philosophy got Clayes fired. I don't think I've seen this much excitement for the program as I have in the last two weeks. Fleck and his coaches are instantly providing results on the recruiting trail. Will it take time to get there? Yes. But let the man do his job for more than a month before we throw a wet blanket on him....

Sorry, missed the run of Big Ten titles and playoff invites/Championship games Wisconsin has had in the last 50 years.

List all the National Champs from the Big Ten since 1970 other than tOSU or scUM? If you answered Michigan State once, you get a cookie. (Nebraska and PSU weren't in the Big Ten when they won and haven't won since joining). I get the excitement but to think that MN is going to be able to compete for National Championships is a bit delusional. Can we reach Wisconsin/Iowa levels...I hope so. And like Iowa and Wisconsin, we can win 8-10 games per year and in a year where we have a weaker schedule, a strong team of upper class and some luck, we can get to one of the New Year 6 bowls. But for us to jump not only the top 5 teams in the Big Ten but also the top teams in the other P5 conferences to be one of the 4 top teams in the land is so unlikely and unrealistic as to be a pipe dream. Would love to be wrong...but it is unlikely.

Yeah you must have missed it. 93, 98, 99, 2010, 2011, 2012. I didn't say we should be a perennial title contender, but I feel there is no reason we can't get to Wisconsin's level and be in the hunt to win the conference most year, and actually win it even once a decade or so.

The quote in the OP was this:

"Looks like the momentum is getting the Hawkeye and Badger fans nervous...."

And somehow you turned that into this:

Always laugh at the foolishness...somehow Fleck is now going to be dominating Wisc and Iowa?

Nobody wrote "dominate" in any way shape or form, but you won't let that stop you from running off the rails, and continuing to dig that hole.

Yeah you must have missed it. 93, 98, 99, 2010, 2011, 2012. I didn't say we should be a perennial title contender, but I feel there is no reason we can't get to Wisconsin's level and be in the hunt to win the conference most year, and actually win it even once a decade or so.

Their 99 team was very good but the rest, not great and in 2012 they were 4-4 in the Big Ten with OSU and PSU on probation. None of these teams were in the running for a National Championship and except for a couple, were considered the 3rd best team in the Big Ten, just tied with the same record. Really you are supporting my claim. We can win the Big Ten in a year where we have a team of upper classmen and a good schedule but that still wont get us to the playoffs. Much like Wisconsin, who is certainly better than us over the last couple decades, still not considered a threat to the big boys.

Their 99 team was very good but the rest, not great and in 2012 they were 4-4 in the Big Ten with OSU and PSU on probation. None of these teams were in the running for a National Championship and except for a couple, were considered the 3rd best team in the Big Ten, just tied with the same record. Really you are supporting my claim. We can win the Big Ten in a year where we have a team of upper classmen and a good schedule but that still wont get us to the playoffs. Much like Wisconsin, who is certainly better than us over the last couple decades, still not considered a threat to the big boys.

Well yeah, the post is about making iowa and wisconsin nervous. Not OSU and Michigan.

It is about time we are finally getting practice facilities. We have been treading water for so long. I don't think people realize how much this matters to recruits and what it can do to your program. It is about time we turn the corner.

Go Gophers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The quote in the OP was this:

"Looks like the momentum is getting the Hawkeye and Badger fans nervous...."

And somehow you turned that into this:

Nobody wrote "dominate" in any way shape or form, but you won't let that stop you from running off the rails, and continuing to dig that hole.

Sorry...are they getting nervous because our players are coming to get their daughters? Winning a random game here and there doesn't make anyone nervous...getting beat 13 times in a row...that gets you nervous.

Top Bottom