8 Dramatic Changes I Would Make To College Football

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per The Big Lead:

Running Clock After First Downs

The NFL allows the play clock to keep running while the chain crew resets. NFL games have fewer plays and end roughly when they are supposed to. College football games, especially with up tempo passing teams, can seem interminable. The national title game started shortly after 8pm ET. It ended after midnight and could have stretched past 1am ET with overtime. Clemson ran 99 plays. Shorter games are better for fans and better/safer for players who will play fewer downs while fatigued.

A Video Referee

Replay is a valuable tool. It can also be a wanton obstruction when used too slowly and too frequently. We already have a replay official. Make the official a part of the refereeing crew on the sideline and in communication with the refereeing crew to streamline the process. The video referee could overrule the line judge before we go through the theatrics of making the wrong call on the field, sending that call to review, and wasting minutes of everyone’s time. Save the extended timeouts for when they are needed.

Allow Off-Field Revenue Earning

Amateurism is a sham. Getting rid of it requires a tricky legal process. Employing the Olympic model that allows players to earn off-field revenue is an easy fix. It allows every athlete to capitalize on his/her marketing potential. It costs schools nothing. It improves players’ material circumstances. Fans get to play NCAA Football 18. DeShaun Watson already appeared in de facto Nike ads. The future Deshaun Watson should be paid for it.

http://thebiglead.com/2017/01/19/8-dramatic-changes-i-would-make-to-college-football/

Go Gophers!!

Canadian CFL Clock Rule

The clock can not "expire" outside of a play. Meaning if the clock hits 00:00 on the downtime between moving sticks or etc then one untimed play is allowed to end the quarter.

Should make endings a lot more exciting.

All plays should be reviewable... All Targeting calls should be reviewed during the week ...

Fans don't get to play NCAA 18 actually. Unless I am misreading what he is saying...

The ball starts farther back during overtime. Maybe the 40.

Also have agreed with the continuous clock moving after first downs for years.

The ball starts farther back during overtime. Maybe the 40.

Also have agreed with the continuous clock moving after first downs for years.

I would love to see them push it back to the 35 at least. That would mean that if a team gained no yards they would be looking at a 50+ yard field goal.

Did Ohio State look like an 11-1 team in the playoff or a 9-1-2 team that went 0-1-2 against its three best conference opponents?

Amateurism is a sham. Getting rid of it requires a tricky legal process. Employing the Olympic model that allows players to earn off-field revenue is an easy fix. It allows every athlete to capitalize on his/her marketing potential. It costs schools nothing. It improves players’ material circumstances. Fans get to play NCAA Football 18. DeShaun Watson already appeared in de facto Nike ads. The future Deshaun Watson should be paid for it.
I would give them a choice, do you want to earn revenue or have a scholarship? All players would still have to maintain academic standing and attend the University in order to play, so if you want to be paid for being a player and take endorsements you have to pay your own tuition. No academic support (tutors, athlete only study space, etc) would be provided to those students earning outside revenue, that is reserved for scholarship athletes only.

College football needs to implement the NFL clock and replay rules. The NFL needs to implement the college pass interference and overtime rules. I would be ok with a farther back starting position for OT. The 35 seems about right.

College football needs to implement the NFL clock and replay rules. The NFL needs to implement the college pass interference and overtime rules. I would be ok with a farther back starting position for OT. The 35 seems about right.

I agree except with the the OT rules. I would move it back to at least the 40, but would be okay with the 50. You should have to get at least one first down to get into field goal range.

Why in gods name would you mess with the clock rules? It's a huge part of what makes cfb great.

I'm of the opinion that we should go back to the 80's rule where any runner going out of bounds stops the clock until the next snap. (The last two minutes of each half are like that now). This would add 8 - 10 plays per game. Do away with the 40 second rule - change it back to 30 seconds. With the ticket prices so much higher, I want to see more plays, not fewer. Also might give a better chance for more players seeing the field. I do agree, move the overtime back to the 40 yard line.

I'm of the opinion that we should go back to the 80's rule where any runner going out of bounds stops the clock until the next snap. (The last two minutes of each half are like that now). This would add 8 - 10 plays per game. Do away with the 40 second rule - change it back to 30 seconds. With the ticket prices so much higher, I want to see more plays, not fewer. Also might give a better chance for more players seeing the field. I do agree, move the overtime back to the 40 yard line.

I'm with you. The whole "shorten the game" stuff is about making the game fit the TV slots. So what do they do? Take game away from the people who actually go to the games (by eliminating plays), who have to sit there and watch the guy at the 20 yard line tell the referee when "we're back from commercial" and they can play again.

Back in the 80's, before TV ran everything, under the "old rules," a college game would be done in under 3 hours easy. Now we get pregame show, interminable tv commercial timeouts, halftime studio show, etc. - - - - and their answer to the "length of the program" (note, it's not "length of the game," it's "length of the program" - at least be honest about what they're complaining about) is "Let's have less actual football!!!"

Baloney.

I'd agree with backing the overtime to the 35 - make teams get something done offensively to have a chance at scoring, that'll shorten overtime.

Why in gods name would you mess with the clock rules? It's a huge part of what makes cfb great.

Absolutely! The college clock rules are much, much better in my opinion.

Anyone arguing for a change to NFL clock rules is arguing for more advertising and less football, plain and simple.

It may be harder to notice when watching a game on TV, but the continual interruptions by the guy in the red hat for forced advertising breaks nearly wrecks the experience in person.

Division 2 and division 3 play by the same rules and nobody there ever complains about game length. The difference is the guy in the red hat.

NFL halftimes are something like 10-12 minutes. College is 20 minutes. Yes, marching bands are important but I would much rather see them move more of their field time to pre game than see the game itself be altered.

Anyone arguing for a change to NFL clock rules is arguing for more advertising and less football, plain and simple.

It may be harder to notice when watching a game on TV, but the continual interruptions by the guy in the red hat for forced advertising breaks nearly wrecks the experience in person.

Division 2 and division 3 play by the same rules and nobody there ever complains about game length. The difference is the guy in the red hat.

NFL halftimes are something like 10-12 minutes. College is 20 minutes. Yes, marching bands are important but I would much rather see them move more of their field time to pre game than see the game itself be altered.

Not at all. I actually think it's more of a replay issue than a clock issue so I'd rather see that fixed first, but college football games continue to get longer. More plays also introduce the risk of more injuries which can become a big problem later in the season as the injuries add up.

I'd be interested to see what the difference in commercial breaks are between the NFL and college. My guess it is pretty close, it's just that it seems like there is more in the NFL because there are less plays.

My suggestion is to get rid of the clock stopping after a first down except in the last 2 minutes of the first half and the last 5 minutes of the game.

Not at all. I actually think it's more of a replay issue than a clock issue so I'd rather see that fixed first, but college football games continue to get longer. More plays also introduce the risk of more injuries which can become a big problem later in the season as the injuries add up.

College games are not getting longer. The game itself is not getting longer. It is still 60 minutes. It is the production and the gaps between the actual football part that are getting longer. DII and DIII are still starting and stopping within historical typical time frames.

You do bring up a good point that I failed to mention: replay. This too has added time to the production and it is expanding now with the targeting reviews. Games didn't used to have OT either.

There have been a lot of things that have pushed game production times longer. All these things should be addressed. One thing that should not be altered in my opinion is the actual football part.

My suggestion is to get rid of the clock stopping after a first down except in the last 2 minutes of the first half and the last 5 minutes of the game.

Ugh. This is the very last thing I would ever want to see happen. We've got rosters with 120 players on them and specialization in the game like never before, so it seems strange to start reducing the FOOTBALL part while maintaining the advertising and review parts. Not to mention the amount of time these huge rosters are standing around resting waiting for someone to tell them they can run another play.

I would be interested to see a comparison between game start/stop times between D1, D2, and D3 - complete with averages on the number of plays that are run. The answers are obvious but it would be interesting to see just how much time is spent in commercial breaks and video reviews in D1 compared to the other levels.

I think it is throwing the baby out with the bath water to chip away at the game itself in favor of a higher percentage of time spent in commercial breaks.

This is a terrible comparison. Olympic athletes participate for their country, and don't sell their services to the highest bidder. Want stud recruit X to play for your school? Get a booster who runs the local car dealership to give him an "off-field revenue" no-show job earning $500 k a year as a "car salesman". Yes, that system isn't ripe for abuse at all.:rolleyes:

Ugh. This is the very last thing I would ever want to see happen. We've got rosters with 120 players on them and specialization in the game like never before, so it seems strange to start reducing the FOOTBALL part while maintaining the advertising and review parts. Not to mention the amount of time these huge rosters are standing around resting waiting for someone to tell them they can run another play.

I would be interested to see a comparison between game start/stop times between D1, D2, and D3 - complete with averages on the number of plays that are run. The answers are obvious but it would be interesting to see just how much time is spent in commercial breaks and video reviews in D1 compared to the other levels.

I think it is throwing the baby out with the bath water to chip away at the game itself in favor of a higher percentage of time spent in commercial breaks.

I love football as much as the next person but these 4+ hour games are ridiculous. I don't think my suggestion is going to drastically change the game. A few less plays isn't going to make that much of a difference.

Top Bottom