8 wins is unrealistic

I think it is silly at this point to put any expectations on a win loss record next year because there are way too many variables to factor in with a new QB, new offense, suspended players, first year coach.....

The way the schedule lays out I think the opportunity is there to get to bowl eligibility if things go well but for next year pretty much anything could happen at this point.

Exactly.
I'll watch with a critical eye to see if this team looks like it's improving, but I'm not going to expect a certain number of wins.

How many players come back?
Who will be our QB?
Will we have a different QB year two because of recruiting?
Will we have any CB's come back.

Way to many questions at this point.

If he doesn't win a game next year and wins the conference in year 2, was that a good change?

Sure. How long do you give him?

If we go under .500 in the Big10 for the next 3 seasons, was it a good change? Do you give him year 4? Year 5?

How long is it supposed to take a great coach to take a team that went 9-4 to 11-2? 12-1?

Really, really stupid response.

Are you a millennial? You can't be patient for results?

Why do you take a brand new hire (let alone at a School that hadn't won a conference Championship in 40+ years), and expect near Championship results (which 8 or 9 wins might be next year) with a first year starter at QB.

I'm not saying 8 wins is impossible, but it's unrealistic to expect it or else it's failure.

I almost guarantee that I'm older than you, especially given the juvenile way you post. Eight or nine wins is near-Championship results? Are you sh1tting me? We've had 8+ wins 3 out of the last 4 years, under two different head coaches, one of whom was in their first year. It's becoming the norm.

No, it's not unrealistic. Really, really stupid thread. It's not holding up high expectations so we can be negative if they don't meet them, it's the very fact of having expectations. Having standards and holding people accountable is ok. No one is going to push Fleck off the Washington Ave bridge if they don't win 8, but winning 8 games is not at all unrealistic. We will be favored in at least 6 of the first 7 games (if not all 7, depending on how MSU bounces back) and stealing 1-2 of the last 5 is neither unreasonable nor unrealistic.

That's a big stretch to make spread predictions in January when there's a lot of uncertainty with the roster. Oregon St, Michigan St, and Maryland will all be improved next year.

I think you just flipped the script. What came off as pretty negative to begin with, now looks like you are trying to walk it back and say that expecting less than 8 wins is a 'positive' because less than 8 makes the season a failure if you expect more. There are lots of factors that go into a season. We may have 4 wins or even 1 win if it's over Wisconsin - but feel pretty good about the season if there is growth, competitiveness and good play. It's January...an 8 win season is not an unrealistic expectation based on the factors that we have right now.

Good post.

That's a tough question . . . 4 wins and beat Wisconsin or 8 wins and lose to Wisconsin?

It's been so long, I'd almost take the 4. Probably not, but I have to think about it.

Really, really stupid response.

Are you a millennial? You can't be patient for results?

Why do you take a brand new hire (let alone at a School that hadn't won a conference Championship in 40+ years), and expect near Championship results (which 8 or 9 wins might be next year) with a first year starter at QB.

I'm not saying 8 wins is impossible, but it's unrealistic to expect it or else it's failure.

I think you just flipped the script. What came off as pretty negative to begin with, now looks like you are trying to walk it back and say that expecting less than 8 wins is a 'positive' because less than 8 makes the season a failure if you expected more. There are lots of factors that go into a season. We may have 4 wins or even 1 win if it's over Wisconsin - but feel pretty good about the season if there is growth, competitiveness and good play. It's January...an 8 win season is not an unrealistic expectation based on the factors that we have right now.

That's a big stretch to make spread predictions in January when there's a lot of uncertainty with the roster. Oregon St, Michigan St, and Maryland will all be improved next year.

We were favored by over 20 against OSU. How are they going to make up that gap? It will be a close spread because they're hosting, but we will be favored by 3-4 points.

I already stated that MSU is the one game we may not be favored in.

We made Maryland our bitch last year, in their stadium, playing the very QB who will probably (unfortunately) end up being our starter this fall. How are they going to make up a 21-point deficit, especially in our house?

I love the lowered expectations from you, btw, now that your favorite whipping boy is out of a job.

I haven't read the reports nor do I know all the details of real vs alleged, but evidently those who know more than me believe change was necessary.

Well...at least you're arguing from a position of strength and knowledge.

facepalm.jpg

2017 Minnesota Golden Gophers Football Schedule

Aug. 31 Bulls Buffalo Bulls Win

Sep. 9 Beavers at Oregon State Beavers Win

Sep. 16 Blue Raiders Middle Tennessee Blue Raiders Win

Sep. 23 OFF

Sep. 30 Terrapins Maryland Terrapins Win

Oct. 7 Boilermakers at Purdue Boilermakers Win

Oct. 14 Spartans Michigan State Spartans

Oct. 21 Fighting Illini Illinois Fighting Illini (HC) Win

Oct. 28 Hawkeyes at Iowa Hawkeyes

Nov. 4 Wolverines at Michigan Wolverines

Nov. 11 Cornhuskers Nebraska Cornhuskers

Nov. 18 Wildcats at Northwestern Wildcats Win

Nov. 25 Badgers Wisconsin Badgers

I don't see how 8 is unrealistic? Will be hard sure but I can see at least 7 wins in this Schedule and maybe an extra depending on injuries and other factors.

We were favored by over 20 against OSU. How are they going to make up that gap? It will be a close spread because they're hosting, but we will be favored by 3-4 points.

I already stated that MSU is the one game we may not be favored in.

We made Maryland our bitch last year, in their stadium, playing the very QB who will probably (unfortunately) end up being our starter this fall. How are they going to make up a 21-point deficit, especially in our house?

I love the lowered expectations from you, btw, now that your favorite whipping boy is out of a job.

Easy, they proved they weren't that big of an underdog by only losing by 7. They improved this year, have been recruiting well, it's on the road, and it'll be Gary Andersen's 3rd year.

Maryland started a true freshman QB against us, who was recruited as an ATH and likely won't stay at QB. Maryland's offense was night and day difference when Hills was healthy. They have also been recruiting very well, including landing the 4th best QB in the country. Maryland also plays Texas and UCF before they play the Gophers next year so we'll have an idea of how good they are before that game. It's also why making predictions 8 months before the first game is idiotic.

Sep. 23 OFF

I don't see how 8 is unrealistic? Will be hard sure but I can see at least 7 wins in this Schedule and maybe an extra depending on injuries and other factors.

I think you have 7 wins. That would be realistic if we can make a smooth transition.
8 wins would be optimistic and realistic.

The transition isn't guaranteed to be smooth however. Many have posted this how divided the team is against the management.

But if you say "I expect they will win 8 or this was a mistake"... then you're just setting yourself up for disappointment.

Maryland started a true freshman QB against us, who was recruited as an ATH and likely won't stay at QB.

We started a former walk-on who had never taken a meaningful collegiate snap in his life. What's your point?

They have also been recruiting very well, including landing the 4th best QB in the country.

Their true freshman is going to turn a 21-point home deficit into a winning margin on the road? He must be really good!

It's also why making predictions 8 months before the first game is idiotic.

Saying idiotic things has never stopped you from posting here, so I don't know why it would for the rest of us.

You know, this would be much better thread if it was titled "8 wins would be a successful season."

We started a former walk-on who had never taken a collegiate snap in his life. What's your point?

Their true freshman is going to turn a 21-point home deficit into a winning margin on the road? He must be really good!

Saying idiotic things has never stopped you from posting here, so I don't know why it would for the rest of us.

True Freshman QB who'll change positions vs a QB that's been in the system for 4 years, yeah almost the same thing...

Pretending that Claeys is a long term solution as a P5 head coach like you do, now that's idiotic. Sorry I've been spot on about him since day one.

I think you have 7 wins. That would be realistic if we can make a smooth transition.

The transition isn't guaranteed to be smooth however. Many have posted this how divided the team is against the management.

But if you say "I expect they will win 8 or this was a mistake"... then you're just setting yourself up for disappointment.

OOhhh I konw nothing is a Guarantee in Minnesota! I am a Twins, Wild, and Vikings Fan, we somehow find more ways to screw things up each year!

True Freshman QB who'll change positions vs a QB that's been in the system for 4 years, yeah almost the same thing...

Pretending that Claeys is a long term solution as a P5 head coach like you do, now that's idiotic. Sorry I've been spot on about him since day one.

So you predicted he would go 9-4 in his first full season as a head coach, win his first two bowl games as a head coach and then be used as a scapegoat so the invisible new AD could hire his own coach? Excellent prognostication!!

Let me get this straight. You started this silly thread with a long ranting post about how 8 wins is unrealistic and now say that 7 is realistic? All that drama to quibble over 1 win?

Last year, first TIME head coach in Tracy Claeys, implementing a new offense, but having a SR to run it. We finished with 8 wins in regular season. As the year went on I thought we were improving on both sides of the ball, our SR QB though didn't show the improvement I thought he would as the year went on. He was a great competitor and leader, just not a great passer.
At the end of the season we played an outstanding game on D and the O did just enough to get the Holiday Bowl win against WSU.
Coach Claeys was let go. We will never know what would have happened had he been allowed to implement his vision. Don't like how the firing was handled, but understand why it was made.

This year, first year HC in PJ Fleck, who has shown he can improve a program. He is not starting over or from scratch here. The 7 returning starters on O and 6 on D plus all the other players who played key roles are a solid group to build off of. It will take some time for them to pick up the new O and D systems. So I would expect to see similar growth this coming year, like we did last year during the season. Early on we will be able to rely on a very good running game, so our QB can learn, without having to carry the offense. On D the secondary will be a weakness early trying to break in 3 new starters and more than likely 2 freshman. Our D-Line and LB play should help in getting them comfortable.
Can't understand how anyone can say we are going to be starting a bunch of freshman or inexperienced players. Maybe the two CB spots will be, but the rest of the team should be filled with all the upper class-man that are returning. Our talent level has improved dramatically since Kill first became the HC. The talent is there to have a good season.
Looking at the schedule, it sets up rather nicely. First game should be a win and should help the team iron out some things before having to go on the road vs. OSU. After that we have another non-conf, followed by an off week to get ready for Maryland at home then Purdue on the road. Realistically looking at a 4-1 start at worst. Sparty is an unknown, but we get them at home. Illinois should be another game that we can win. So now we are 5-2 at worst going into the last 5 games. If we are improving, then we should have a chance in every single one of those games, so a 7 or 8 win season is NOT unrealistic at all. SKi-U-MAH!

Neither one of us know how Tracy Claeys would've done as a long-term solution for the Gophers - that's the beauty of your stupid take. What I do know is that he left the U of M with the best overall and Big Ten winning percentage in decades, and your snide asshatery can't take that away from him.

Sep. 23 OFF

People seem to forget that a lot of other teams in the west are making transitions too. Purdue has a brand new head coach, Iowa and Nebraska will have a new quarterback.

So you predicted he would go 9-4 in his first full season as a head coach, win his first two bowl games as a head coach and then be used as a scapegoat so the invisible new AD could hire his own coach? Excellent prognostication!!

No, I thought he'd do exactly what he did. Win 8 games but not beat anyone of significance. I wanted him gone after the Wisconsin game. Actually I wanted him gone last year, but was mad the administration took so long to hire an AD and knew they had no choice but to keep him for another year. I've been pretty outspoken on here about all of that.

Claeys is not a leader or a good recruiter. If he was, he'd already have another P5 head coaching job. But he doesn't and he never will again.

This team has plenty of holes to fill, especially on offense, and Fleck won't be able fill all of them with 3 weeks of recruiting. That's why my expectations are for 6 wins and a bowl game this year. They'll significantly increase in the following years.

If he was, he'd already have another P5 head coaching job.

Someone else is going to fire their sitting head coach to hire Tracy Claeys? Yet another brilliant take! Keep 'em coming!

But he doesn't and he never will again.

"It's idiotic to make predictions 8 months in advance."

But making predictions that cover the next 20 years or more isn't idiotic? You are just so smart!

Someone else is going to fire their sitting head coach to hire Tracy Claeys? Yet another brilliant take! Keep 'em coming!

But making predictions that cover the next 20 years or more isn't idiotic? You are just so smart!

Surely one of the coaching jobs that opened up in December would of went after him knowing the U administration didn't want him right? Coming off an elite season I don't understand why he wasn't considered for any positions!

Didn't Cal just have an opening?

Easiest prediction I've ever made.

Surely one of the coaching jobs that opened up in December would of went after him knowing the U administration didn't want him right?

Yes, because every head coach that gets fired immediately goes to another head coaching position, yup that's how it works for everyone. (except for half of the Vikings staff)

No, I thought he'd do exactly what he did. Win 8 games but not beat anyone of significance. I wanted him gone after the Wisconsin game. Actually I wanted him gone last year, but was mad the administration took so long to hire an AD and knew they had no choice but to keep him for another year. I've been pretty outspoken on here about all of that.

Claeys is not a leader or a good recruiter. If he was, he'd already have another P5 head coaching job. But he doesn't and he never will again.

This team has plenty of holes to fill, especially on offense, and Fleck won't be able fill all of them with 3 weeks of recruiting. That's why my expectations are for 6 wins and a bowl game this year. They'll significantly increase in the following years.

Easy to admit claeys leadership failures yet you won't utter a bad word about the piss poor leadership of Coyle. Telling

There seems to be a fair number of "fans" on here who are expecting Fleck to show up, change the culture, re-institute a whole new program and culture, and expect to have him win 8 games in his first season.

This is simply unrealistic, and really simply for one reason only.

The team has a new leader. With Mitch Leidner graduating, the Gophers are losing not just any QB, but an NFL caliber QB who was probably the winningest QB at Minnesota in 30 years.
Some of you seem to think that veteran leadership accounts for nothing.
Some of you seem to think that just taking a carefully groomed QB who was molded by Claeys and Kill can just be replaced by some high school student who was just recruited who somehow is going to walk in and take the lockerroom leader role, and control the culture of the other 60-80 sophomores, Juniors, and Seniors on the team and guide them as Mitch did.

Mitch wasn't the QB on this team simply because of his ability to run and throw the football. He was identified early as a stand up guy who the rest of the team looked up to when he stood out as a sophomore.
Some of you seem to take this for granted. Sure he had some inconsistencies, but to think a new coach with a new QB is just going to show up as a 100% certainty, and bring equal results in year one of a five year plan is ludicrous.

Just drop it now. You're being unreasonable and you're purposely setting unrealistic expectations for a team that will be short handed at QB and CB for the next couple years.

If you feel you want to be snarky and negative for the next two years, then you are already prescribing your own success in ensuring you'll be disappointed. But that type of attitude has plagued Gopher football for far too long.

Yes, I was bummed to see Claeys be sent away, but I am not going to make unreasonable predictions for a first year coach who's only fault so far was to believe in the University of Minnesota.

Thanks for your input Mitch! Unfortunately the UFL is no longer around.

Top Bottom