8 wins is unrealistic

If you read either post by the Walrus, he never mentions the name Claeys. He also does not say Fleck sucks He said he doesn't like all the hype and the self-promotion. I agree. He also said he will judge Fleck based on his record after the season - wins and losses. I agree.

For all you people who think Fleck is a great coach, you seem awfully thin-skinned when anyone says anything less than complimentary about your new hero. Methinks thou dost protest too much.

Well said. Thanks.

There are always going to be optimists and pessimists. I think it is much more fun to jump on the bandwagon and be excited about Gopher football. I will buy RTB shirts just like I had a Brewster shirt and a Jerrysota shirt. To me it is FUN and that is what it is all about. Entertainment. Yes, I want to win the B1G and go to the Rose Bowl! Is PJ the man to take us to the promised land? I have no idea, but the ride just got a lot more fun than it was a few weeks ago. There was zero buzz around this program after a 9-win season and the signing social was going to be a snoozer. We will see if ticket sales turn around and the bank can be packed. I really don't care what the pessimistic folks say because I will be busy rowing the boat!

Ok junior, you win.

I said what I wanted to say for now and there really isn't 't much to talk about until Big Ten Season kicks off.

Let's keep the name calling out of this and stay respectful of each other even though their opinions may vary.

There are always going to be optimists and pessimists. I think it is much more fun to jump on the bandwagon and be excited about Gopher football. I will buy RTB shirts just like I had a Brewster shirt and a Jerrysota shirt. To me it is FUN and that is what it is all about. Entertainment. Yes, I want to win the B1G and go to the Rose Bowl! Is PJ the man to take us to the promised land? I have no idea, but the ride just got a lot more fun than it was a few weeks ago. There was zero buzz around this program after a 9-win season and the signing social was going to be a snoozer. We will see if ticket sales turn around and the bank can be packed. I really don't care what the pessimistic folks say because I will be busy rowing the boat!

+1. We should be friends!

The off-season is for hype - I get enough personal negativity and gloom during the season. February and August are my two favorite months of Gopher football (it's sad, I know).

Admins, can we ban this person already? He's repeatedly name calling which is against the terms of using this site.

Let's keep the name calling out of this and stay respectful of each other even though their opinions may vary.

Really? One person (not me) called you "junior" and a few people called you a troll (including me) and you can't handle that? You are also part of the "culture" that needs to be changed, not just at the U but in your whole generation. Good luck in the adult world!

You got to love guys who join in January 2017 calling for bans and telling people "to get the f out."

Additionally, if you are offended by "Junior" you won't go to far in life.

Now, 37 score(Member)...just what name did I call anyone? I referred to the person I was responding to as junior. Now, junior is NOT a name I constructed or manufactured for the poster I was answering. Not at all. If you will check right under the post that person made to me, GOPHER HOLE referred to that poster as: "Junior Member." I am referred to as Senior Member. You are referred to as Member. In fact, that Junior Member used some fairly strong wording and emphasis on words and masked and implied parts of speech "...." used to indicate emotion, anger and disgust. (At least he wasn't being a "flat-lining, unemotional typer...)

So, Member: I am merely checking your message to me out to see IF the message I received is the same message you intended to send to me. Some how, it seems that the message I received from Junior Member was much more disrespectful of me merely because my opinion may have varied from Junior Member's opinion and point of view.

See you, Member.

ps: Please feel free to call me my GOPHER HOLE assigned title of Senior Memeber or simply "...Senior..." if you prefer. Thanks much, Member.

Now, 37 score(Member)...just what name did I call anyone? I referred to the person I was responding to as junior. Now, junior is NOT a name I constructed or manufactured for the poster I was answering. Not at all. If you will check right under the post that person made to me, GOPHER HOLE referred to that poster as: "Junior Member." I am referred to as Senior Member. You are referred to as Member. In fact, that Junior Member used some fairly strong wording and emphasis on words and masked and implied parts of speech "...." used to indicate emotion, anger and disgust. (At least he wasn't being a "flat-lining, unemotional typer...)

So, Member: I am merely checking your message to me out to see IF the message I received is the same message you intended to send to me. Some how, it seems that the message I received from Junior Member was much more disrespectful of me merely because my opinion may have varied from Junior Member's opinion and point of view.

See you, Member.

ps: Please feel free to call me my GOPHER HOLE assigned title of Senior Memeber or simply "...Senior..." if you prefer. Thanks much, Member.

Senior, I forget, are you the Loon or Wren?

I am the walrus. At various times, I have utilized a number of monikers on this site. There are stories behind each moniker change...
Actually, the moniker changes I have had to assume were all quite closely related to defending coaches, or, in the case of the unfortunate brewball chapter of Golden Gopher Football history, I strongly opposed the entire set of circumstances in which the administration extended, then one year later bought out and fired a coach only to bring in a young and inexperienced, unqualified coach to usher in the launching of the New Stadium. (Because I choose to be honest about what I saw happening and what I thought the outcome of the experiment most likely would be....I suppose you could say that I represented a voice that many on this board did not want to hear. I was adamate...didn't back down...and pretty much forced the issue and management here eventually decided that I should be gone. So, I was gone.) I had utilized the monikers of wren, renegade rambler, Roskolnekov, Major Major, and finally , and currently, Imthewalrus... You must realize that these incidents occurred over a LONG period of time....and covered and overlapped a number of sites. It all started back during the Jim Wacker days...This site used to be merged and a part of another currently relevant site: that has itself split off from another current site. From GOPHER GOAL POST through the entire progression of where GOPHER SPORTS SITES are today...I have been around under one moniker or another.

I do know LOON and even saw him at a game last season. He is perhaps one of the most informed football fans I have ever had the opportunity to meet. He is passionate about Gopher Football. He is intense and he was for the most part correct about the insights on football that he shared on line. During the many impassioned battles that have occurred on this site over the decades, he strongly stated his opinions about what was happening with Gopher Football. You all know what happens when wars of words occur. People on this board and other sometimes "go the extra mile..." in insulting each other. Over the years I saw how effective LOON was in sometimes getting under the skin of posters who were much less than civilized toward him and his views. Let's just say that both the Loon & I have been: "...voted off the island..." historically through the various Gopher Football Coaching Sagas , changes and incidents...not to mention views on the incompetence of various administrators at the University of Minnesota. loon is a good person and is a very interesting individual to carry on a discussion of Gopher Football with. I am but a Gopher Football Fan who wandered through the WILDERNESS following my GOPHER Football Team from the mid-1950's through the NC (1960...13 years of age) form the BRICKYARD...to the damn dome....back to TCF BANK STADIUM on campus. (Actually, I wrote much of the origional WILDERNESS YEARS SAGA...And Jason G. is probably still trying to recover from the LOUD, GOLD, HATED T-SHIRTS that were sold on line here prior to the building of the TCF! I coined that phrase because I was SO tired of Hawkeye Fans taking over the dome and chanting their HORRIBLE L(et's) Go Hawks LGH cheer And, it was when they switched the Student Section into wearing GOLD rather tahnb Maroon to home games. The idea was to make GOPHER FANS "loud, gold and hated" by visiting fans...it didn't work. So many memories....

Every time I was "grounded and taken out of commission on GOPHERHOLE: I made sure that I richly deserved it. Every time I snuck back on using a different moniker, I know that every one knew who I was...but...they were usually starting to get bored because there was too much company line agreement and not enough contrast, gamesmanship and activity going on, so they would tolerate me again for a while before I would be voted off the island again. I can honestly say I have gotten everything I deserve...and what a wonderful chance I have had to engage in discussion, provide contrast and have lots of fun all over the various Golden Gopher Football Web sites other than GH. Over the years I have interacted with a lot of folks here and, even during times I was absent, I would read GOPHER HOLE to kind of judge, assess current points of view, spins, and make mental notes of things that I would need to contrast upon returning some day. I feel as though I kind of "get" where some of you are coming from as a result of keeping an eye on what goes on here even when I have been away doing duty on other Golden Gopher Football Message Boards around the town. I'm getting old...and possibly a bit forgetful...but I still am a bit of an historian for the Gopher Web Sites I have known, participated on, been kicked off and have always found a way to return to in spite of it all. I never take any other posters too seriously and certainly never take myself seriously too often. Above all, I will never let the ba$tards get me down.

Hello to BleedGopher and Gopher Lady and Jason G. What ever happened to Dave Christiansen? And the spin offs and schisms that would find people packing their bags and going to one site or the other. It has been an eventful 20 plus years!

Of course Kelly Leeks has been around most of that time. I believe he got to know LOON at a football game in Toledo, if I am correct. And, among the few other monikers I recoginze on today's GOPHER HOLE is the GREATEST GOPHER FOOTBALL FAN I have ever known: 6 November, 1999. He and his family have known my family and I since those Jim Wacker Era days and Loon, 6, November 1999, my brother and I sat together in the HORSESHOE in C-BUS for that 2000 Golden Gopher Victory over the Buckeyes. And, I don't know if he would like to admit it or not, but my brother reads GOPHERHOLE and we attend games together...have for decades now...and he is my "spy for Gopher Spring Practice... Hello Bro! I won't give his moniker away though. Don't blame him for me being the way I am.

I recall a Rugger 14, I believe it was. Would that be you? I think you were in the Military, if I am not mistaken. It has been a long time. If I am correct: how the hell have you been? Well I assume and hope.

Enough of this for now...take care: Beat the stinking badger, GOPHER! Everyone should take this most recent coaching change however they believe I think. But, there needs to be room for people to voice dissenting points of view as well. So, it goes...

Right f-ing on, Mr. Patches O'Houlihan!

Clearly Wren's post belongs on the 2017 recruiting thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spoofin,

I deleted the post. Now Gopher Bulldog is in possession of the only copy of it. He can burn it...he can delete it...he can do anything he darn well pleases with it. I guess I'd like to see him take matters into his own hands and just stick the darn thing where the sun won't shine....

spoofin,

I deleted the post. Now Gopher Bulldog is in possession of the only copy of it. He can burn it...he can delete it...he can do anything he darn well pleases with it. I guess I'd like to see him take matters into his own hands and just stick the darn thing where the sun won't shine....

Hey Wren, I was fairly certain it was you! Yes I am the same Rugger14 (101stGopher). Good to see you are still kicking around. That was a great post!

Great to hear from you Rugger14! I look forward to the season. I'm all on board rooting for the team. I just need to see about this coach and all his self promo. I thought that TC was a heck of a good football man heading in the right direction. And I didn'like the way the deal went down. But I'm just a loyal old fart. I say what I think and I don' need or expect anyone else to agree with me.

See you later..

Seems this post has evolved into a diatribe by self centered yahoos. (Yahoos def.- people that use Yahoo vs. Google). It seems the real subject of this post has been beat to death. Done.

spoofin,

It would be a shame to delete such an epic post. I didn't mean the O'Houlihan thing as an insult. But the prose had a sagely-comfortable-twisted flair to it that reminded me of the dude from "Dodgeball". As far as your ultimate suggestion, I recently upgraded from an iPhone 5 to the larger iPhone 6S. And the 5 would have been an uncomfortable adventure. Still, I'm happy to delete it if you provide some instruction. I've never deleted a post. And am a bit of a Luddite.

It would be a shame to delete such an epic post. I didn't mean the O'Houlihan thing as an insult. But the prose had a sagely-comfortable-twisted flair to it that reminded me of the dude from "Dodgeball". As far as your ultimate suggestion, I recently upgraded from an iPhone 5 to the larger iPhone 6S. And the 5 would have been an uncomfortable adventure. Still, I'm happy to delete it if you provide some instruction. I've never deleted a post. And am a bit of a Luddite.

Actually, I must compliment you on a response that put a smile on my face and had me laughing. I am impressed GopherBulldog! You do, indeed have a way with words. I also have an iphone 6S and your conclusion is most logical and preferable to any alternative. I'll leave it entirely up to you and your personal journey into the cyber age. I have not really arrived myself and find mysel losing ground in this delightfully digital age. If you choose to learn how to delete, that mass of words will share the Gopher Men's Hoops battle's fate in the Final Four. In essence they never will have existed. So, it is entirely up to you. The mass of words were not of great importance and were only haphazardly put together as a walk down memory lane of my recollections reflecting on my impression of over two decades of GOPHER MESSAGE BOARDS. Only an old man's impressions of a few things that happened along the way...

I'll be looking for further posts from you GopherBulldog. You are most capable of creating an enjoyable read! Thanks!

Actually, I must compliment you on a response that put a smile on my face and had me laughing. I am impressed GopherBulldog! You do, indeed have a way with words. I also have an iphone 6S and your conclusion is most logical and preferable to any alternative. I'll leave it entirely up to you and your personal journey into the cyber age. I have not really arrived myself and find mysel losing ground in this delightfully digital age. If you choose to learn how to delete, that mass of words will share the Gopher Men's Hoops battle's fate in the Final Four. In essence they never will have existed. So, it is entirely up to you. The mass of words were not of great importance and were only haphazardly put together as a walk down memory lane of my recollections reflecting on my impression of over two decades of GOPHER MESSAGE BOARDS. Only an old man's impressions of a few things that happened along the way...

I'll be looking for further posts from you GopherBulldog. You are most capable of creating an enjoyable read! Thanks!

Amen to that, my brother!

OK, nice trip down memory lane...
So does anyone else think 8 wins is unrealistic?

Does Fleckball not create "value-added" positives for 2017 or did prexy k and coyle doom Gopher Football players and season ticket buying fans to having to watch value destruction in 2017 with this move? IS he a coach or merely an enthusiastic motivation coach who lives in his van down by the river? Is Fleck a coach or is he a novice learning as he goes. Is his system a system or is it coming in on a wing and a prayer? 8 wins? He should have 13 chances to get 8 wins. Is he paid 3 1/2 million a year and are his assistants earning about 3 1/2 million a year as well? He gives NO bang for the buck?

OK, nice trip down memory lane...
So does anyone else think 8 wins is unrealistic?

Unrealistic? Well.... I would be surprised to get to 8 but you never know. I wonder what vegas will set the over under at... 5 maybe?

Just wanted to bump this thread. I am sticking by my prediction of 8 regular season wins. Anyone want to change their predictions?

After Fleck's comments in the ESPN article it seems that he is setting us up for experiencing a few losing seasons. He says we'll be extremely young in 2018 and we don't have any depth. Based on his comments I say we win 4 games in 2017 and 2 games in 2018.

Just wanted to bump this thread. I am sticking by my prediction of 8 regular season wins. Anyone want to change their predictions?

I've been saying that I have no idea what to expect next year with the question marks due to the suspensions but now at least we know we got half of our starting secondary back today and probably our starting qb. But the first year of a head coach still makes it tough to predict. That said I'm certainly more optimistic today than yesterday. I'll go with 8 regular season wins but winning at least two of the three vs Iowa, Nebraska, and Wisconsin is a must.

Top Bottom