8 wins is unrealistic

Oh calm down Nancy. It's not like we're talking about the N word here. I have news for you. Just because you are offended by the word doesn't mean you're right.

No, we are talking about a word that not only is offensive to a fellow human being and so indirectly offensive to the Almighty, we are talking about a word that could be argued is THE MOST OFFENSIVE WORD that could be used in the whole world, directly offending the Almighty.

So if using the N word is bad, then using the word Yahoo in an offensive way is FAR WORSE!!!!!!

And my name is not Nancy. :)

Granted, if you do not believe in the Bible, or the Judeo-Christian Creator, then it may not be "FAR WORSE", but it is still offensive simply out of principle.

No, we are talking about a word that not only is offensive to a fellow human being and so indirectly offensive to the Almighty, we are talking about a word that could be argued is THE MOST OFFENSIVE WORD that could be used in the whole world, directly offending the Almighty.

So if using the N word is bad, then using the word Yahoo in an offensive way is FAR WORSE!!!!!!

And my name is not Nancy. :)

Granted, if you do not believe in the Bible, or the Judeo-Christian Creator, then it may not be "FAR WORSE", but it is still offensive simply out of principle.

I'm an athiest.

I'm an athiest.

Well I respect your being an atheist, I have no problem with that. The Almighty, IF he exists may have an issue with it, but that is between you and He.

So if I can respect you and your being an atheist, can't you respect that others do believe?

Well, if people can just agree to at least try to avoid using the term as an insult, then I'll agree to drop it and get back to talking about Gopher football and whether or not we think 8 wins is unrealistic or not.

I for one do not think 8 wins is unrealistic, not at all.

And I'm a fan of PJF, too.

I think KillmeNow’s definition of the word “yahoo” is a stretch, bordering on b.s. The term “yahoo” as we know it comes from the classic Swift novel, “Gulliver’s Travels”. They were a crude, wild clan of folk that Gulliver encountered and didn’t care for much. Basically a tribe of dicks.
I would say if anyone wants to continue using the word go right ahead, I doubt even the p.c. crowd would waste their time fighting over this one.

...Oh, and I predict the Gopher will win 7 games.

Well I respect your being an atheist, I have no problem with that. The Almighty, IF he exists may have an issue with it, but that is between you and He.

So if I can respect you and your being an atheist, can't you respect that others do believe?

Of course I respect people's right to believe. I'm just tired of people getting offended constantly and then thinking they're owed an apology.

Do you want to know how I know the word yahoo isn't offensive? There is literally a large multinational conglomerate named Yahoo! Is there a large multinational conglomerate named Nigger!? How about Kike!? Hmm, I haven't heard of either of those. Probably because those actually are offensive words and people wouldn't do business with companies by those names.

Of course I respect people's right to believe. I'm just tired of people getting offended constantly and then thinking they're owed an apology.

I wasn't offended. It isn't my name being misused.

I was just trying to educate the Gopher masses.

So no need to apologize to me.

And again, IF the Judeo-Christian Creator Being does exist, it is His most holy name being misused, so it would be probably the most important name in history to show respect to, IF he does exist. So its not like I was making a big reach and going out of my way to nit pick and find something of little importance to create an issue about.

It's one of the Ten Commandments even.

But I do understand why you feel the way you do and why you are tired of all the pc bs out there. I'm not a big fan of being pc myself.

And I'm honestly expecting the Gophers to win at least 8 games next season.

When the topic switches to the History of Yardwork or the Origins of the Shoelace, please send me a smoke signal so I can participate in a more interesting and relevant subject for GH.

I think KillmeNow’s definition of the word “yahoo” is a stretch, bordering on b.s. The term “yahoo” as we know it comes from the classic Swift novel, “Gulliver’s Travels”. They were a crude, wild clan of folk that Gulliver encountered and didn’t care for much. Basically a tribe of dicks.
I would say if anyone wants to continue using the word go right ahead, I doubt even the p.c. crowd would waste their time fighting over this one.

...Oh, and I predict the Gopher will win 7 games.

It's not bs FredCoxRocks. "as we know it" is the key part of your comments. Ignorance is basically the excuse you are using.

All Americans or the vast majority of them, probably 99.999% of them are ignorant of the origin of the Name Yahoo, which is quite sad considering we are a nation founded on Judeo-Christian beliefs and principles.

And no, the pc crowd probably wouldn't waster their time fighting over this one, and that in itself almost endears me to the idea of fighting for this one.

And its not me that will be offended, it will be the Judeo-Christian Creator, IF he exists that will be offended, and not by your ignorant use of the name as a way to insult people, but if after being informed of it's origin, you CHOOSE of your own free will, to continue disobediently to use "The Lord's Name in vain", then "Yahweh", or "The Lord" as his name is rendered in most modern translations, could easily be offended.

And I believe that next year's Gopher fb team could win as many as 10 games, going into the bowl game.

It's not bs FredCoxRocks. "as we know it" is the key part of your comments. Ignorance is basically the excuse you are using.

All Americans or the vast majority of them, probably 99.999% of them are ignorant of the origin of the Name Yahoo, which is quite sad considering we are a nation founded on Judeo-Christian beliefs and principles.

And no, the pc crowd probably wouldn't waster their time fighting over this one, and that in itself almost endears me to the idea of fighting for this one.

And its not me that will be offended, it will be the Judeo-Christian Creator, IF he exists that will be offended, and not by your ignorant use of the name as a way to insult people, but if after being informed of it's origin, you CHOOSE of your own free will, to continue disobediently to use "The Lord's Name in vain", then "Yahweh", or "The Lord" as his name is rendered in most modern translations, could easily be offended.

And I believe that next year's Gopher fb team could win as many as 10 games, going into the bowl game.

Okay. I really don't care. But I'll continue to use the word to show my age (I'm sure the younger, hip crowd has come up with better words since "yahoo" was last used). But I agree with GopherBulldog - more interesting and relevant topics. We're all starting to sound like a bunch of yahoos in here.

Do you want to know how I know the word yahoo isn't offensive? There is literally a large multinational conglomerate named Yahoo! Is there a large multinational conglomerate named Nigger!? How about Kike!? Hmm, I haven't heard of either of those. Probably because those actually are offensive words and people wouldn't do business with companies by those names.

Just because 99.999% of the American population is ignorant or simply doesn't care, doesn't mean you need to continue in ignorance dpodoll68.

Now I won't ask you specifically dpodoll68, but that would be appropriate, but to anyone reading all of this,

Do you believe in the Bible or the Judeo-Christian Creator??? If you do, using the Name of the Creator, Yahweh or Yahoo or Yah, "in vain", ie disrespectfully, you would be breaking one of the Ten Commandments.

Just informing you of the facts. Take them however you like and do with this information whatever you will.

As Americans, you have the right to break many of the Ten Commandments without suffering any earthly consequences, and the right to break them all if you are willing to suffer the consequences. Let your own consciences be your guide is all I will advise.

As Gopher fans, it would be nice if we could all get along. I may have miscommunicated that I personally was offended by the use of the name Yahoo when used as a way to insult someone, but I am not actually offended personally, if took any offense, it was with people trying to make it out as if I did not know what I was talking about. Because I do. If everyone acknowledged that I MIGHT be right, at least, then I would be fine if people insisted on using the term, as rebellious types are programmed to rebel when they think they are being told what to do, lol. So knowing that fact, maybe that is why I am laying off and saying, go ahead and use the term if you so desire, it won't offend me.

BUT, if there is a Higher Power out there, and I am right about his Name being Yahweh, and Yahoo and Yah being shortened versions of His Name, then as Gopher fans, do we want to piss him off, just to show off how independent and rebellious we are? Just to show off how no one is going to bully pulpit us into something?

Wouldn't we rather have the Big Guy on the Gopher's side, or at least not against us? lol Ok, now maybe I am being a little frivolous and hence disrespectful towards Yahweh, but its in an effort to simply get us Gopher fans to get along better.

I apologize for trying to educate anyone about something some feel is so meaningless, less meaningful than how to tie our shoes no less. but as I see Christian Churches all over the state of Minnesota, maybe I thought that there might be one or two Gopher fans out there who might appreciate being educated about something that THEY might consider important? And I wouldn't have brought it up if no one had used that term as an insult.

Now, those Gophers, the cupboards weren't left empty, and if the QB position can be filled even to 90% of what Leidner gave the position, which shouldn't be that hard, then I think we should do well against a favorable schedule. We play 5 conf home games even.

Uh, 8 wins is unrealistic is the thread title right? The thread now seems to be far, far away from that.

Boy, wish Mulligan was around to set things straight...

Nah, yahoo has nothing to do with Yahweh. That's not a "fact," it's made-up nonsense. Silly, folk etymology.

Nah, yahoo has nothing to do with Yahweh. That's not a "fact," it's made-up nonsense. Silly, folk etymology.

You have the right to continue being ignorant, I guess. So be it. Maybe I'll start up a topic at the "other topics" board, come by if you want to continue discussing it dpodoll68 and I'll bury you with the facts.

But for now, I'll try not to hold it against you, lol.

Now how many wins do you think is realistic for our Gopher football team next season?

How many offensive starters are coming back next year?

And how many defensive starters are coming back? Seems I've heard that Iowa is losing a ton of starters and so is Wisconsin?

How do our other opponents fare in this regard??

I don't see how they win 8 games. Questionable defensive backfield, new quarterback, new systems, questionable o-line depth. I think 8 wins is asking a lot.

I don't see how they win 8 games. Questionable defensive backfield, new quarterback, new systems, questionable o-line depth. I think 8 wins is asking a lot.

QB was a weakness last year. We have killer running backs returning. I agree, a bit thin in defensive backfield. But, overall, we return a ton of talent on that side of the ball. 8 wins would be a successful season. But should be doable.

Just because 99.999% of the American population is ignorant or simply doesn't care, doesn't mean you need to continue in ignorance dpodoll68.

Now I won't ask you specifically dpodoll68, but that would be appropriate, but to anyone reading all of this,

Do you believe in the Bible or the Judeo-Christian Creator??? If you do, using the Name of the Creator, Yahweh or Yahoo or Yah, "in vain", ie disrespectfully, you would be breaking one of the Ten Commandments.

Just informing you of the facts. Take them however you like and do with this information whatever you will.

As Americans, you have the right to break many of the Ten Commandments without suffering any earthly consequences, and the right to break them all if you are willing to suffer the consequences. Let your own consciences be your guide is all I will advise.

As Gopher fans, it would be nice if we could all get along. I may have miscommunicated that I personally was offended by the use of the name Yahoo when used as a way to insult someone, but I am not actually offended personally, if took any offense, it was with people trying to make it out as if I did not know what I was talking about. Because I do. If everyone acknowledged that I MIGHT be right, at least, then I would be fine if people insisted on using the term, as rebellious types are programmed to rebel when they think they are being told what to do, lol. So knowing that fact, maybe that is why I am laying off and saying, go ahead and use the term if you so desire, it won't offend me.

BUT, if there is a Higher Power out there, and I am right about his Name being Yahweh, and Yahoo and Yah being shortened versions of His Name, then as Gopher fans, do we want to piss him off, just to show off how independent and rebellious we are? Just to show off how no one is going to bully pulpit us into something?

Wouldn't we rather have the Big Guy on the Gopher's side, or at least not against us? lol Ok, now maybe I am being a little frivolous and hence disrespectful towards Yahweh, but its in an effort to simply get us Gopher fans to get along better.

I apologize for trying to educate anyone about something some feel is so meaningless, less meaningful than how to tie our shoes no less. but as I see Christian Churches all over the state of Minnesota, maybe I thought that there might be one or two Gopher fans out there who might appreciate being educated about something that THEY might consider important? And I wouldn't have brought it up if no one had used that term as an insult.

Now, those Gophers, the cupboards weren't left empty, and if the QB position can be filled even to 90% of what Leidner gave the position, which shouldn't be that hard, then I think we should do well against a favorable schedule. We play 5 conf home games even.

THis is a thread on wins this season. Move on. Almost sorry I bumped it at this point.

THis is a thread on wins this season. Move on. Almost sorry I bumped it at this point.

Kind of like you talking about how you expect 8 wins on every single thread? Take your own advice and move on.

We have moved on. And you should be sorry you bumpe itd. Shame on you. lol

J/K

We'll forgive you, just tell us what you think about 8 wins next season, is that unrealistic or not? I say it isn't.

I see six wins in the first seven games.

I would expect the OL to be better under this staff. Our RB are solid. If the QB is Rhoda, just need him to manage the game and move the chains. 8 isn't unrealistic.

We have moved on. And you should be sorry you bumpe itd. Shame on you. lol

J/K

We'll forgive you, just tell us what you think about 8 wins next season, is that unrealistic or not? I say it isn't.

Completely realistic. Posted that before the players got cleared. To me there are seven games Gophs should win, and both IA and NEB are toss-ups IMHO. NEB has new QB who is Meh and IA has lost most of its skill position starters on offense. Steal a game and I don't see how Gophs don't win eight. Have to beat Bucky one of these years, right?

At OL, we have less questions going into this season than last year.

At QB, we simply have to replace putrid play by ML last year. That shouldn't be difficult.

In the defensive backfield, we are a little thin at CB, but we are sitting good at S and our LB and DL should be better than last year.

At OL, we have less questions going into this season than last year.

At QB, we simply have to replace putrid play by ML last year. That shouldn't be difficult.

In the defensive backfield, we are a little thin at CB, but we are sitting good at S and our LB and DL should be better than last year.

Agree with all of this...I'm just not that worried about QB, given Mitch's performance last year. Between the IA, NEB, and PSU games, there were two, possibly three wins to be had last year if the QB manages the ball a little better.

A - We are replacing Leidner, he was awful last year. The production we got from Rhoda would be more productive than we got from Leidner last year. You live in bizarro world if you are sweating about replacing his production.

B - You're confusing "expectations" with "guarantees". I expect the team to be similar to last year (7-8 regular season wins) and hopefully a bowl victory. I would never say "they are going to get 8 wins no doubt". There is always doubt. I'm a MN sports fan, I have ample amounts of doubt.

Agreed. With just an average qb last year we win 11 games plus the bowl game

Top Bottom