Sid on Alex Illikainen: "so far it hasn’t been a major loss" (for Gophers)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Sid:

• Grand Rapids, Minn., standout Alex Illikainen was a highly touted recruit coming out of high school with offers from every major Division I program in the Midwest, including the Gophers. Illikainen signed with Wisconsin but so far he has had a slow start to his collegiate career as he is averaging 1.6 points and 1.7 rebounds. The Gophers got some heat for not getting him, but so far it hasn’t been a major loss. And unlike other years, Illikainen is the only Minnesotan playing for Wisconsin.

http://www.startribune.com/pro-bowl-bid-overdue-for-vikings-linval-joseph/411279155/

Go Gophers!!

Except when he's a senior and is dominating, everyone will be complaining about missing out on him. Hopefully by then we'll be so good that no one will notice.

Murphy > Illikainen

I want to believe and this very well may be true, but it's not a great comparison. Murphy was thrown onto a terrible team. Illikainen joined a Final Four caliber team with less room to shine.

I want to believe and this very well may be true, but it's not a great comparison. Murphy was thrown onto a terrible team. Illikainen joined a Final Four caliber team with less room to shine.

If you think these players are even close you are delusional. Even when sulking, Murph pulls down double digit rebounds. Yes he plays more, but the Gophers have talent and he plays a lot. Not even close.

I hope Sid didn't just trigger a reverse jinx. Vitto Brown might not play, Illikainen figures to get more PT, hope Sid's not inviting one of those "game of your life" deals for Illikainen like Tum Tum and Alvin Ellis had vs. the Gophers in B1G Game 1.

Maybe Illikainen figures it out and becomes a very productive big ten player before he graduates, but at this point his lack of playing time can only be explained by his performance on the court against apposing teams.

Murphy > Illikainen

Sports reference would agree with you.
http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/alex-illikainen-1.html
http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/jordan-murphy-1.html

I have a theory that players per 40 stats don't change a ton over their college career they may improve a touch but mostly players just get more playing time. Anyway, Murphy kills it in the per40 stats. He also is a much better defender based on defensive rating (a flawed stat mostly based on the team definitely but something to try to quantify defense).

If you think these players are even close you are delusional. Even when sulking, Murph pulls down double digit rebounds. Yes he plays more, but the Gophers have talent and he plays a lot. Not even close.

I'm not explaining myself. Not saying they are the same player. Had Illikainen got almost 30 minutes last year and had to "be the man", he would look very differently right now.

Geezo beezo... it's like I called our baby ugly.

I'm just saying it's lazy to compare stats and not look at how the two players got to where they are. Illikainen had to fight for playing time last year on a Final Four-caliber team. Murphy was the man and earned his stripes. Last year's minutes and playing time drives a lot of this year's success.

Murph, if you're reading this, I love you.

Sconny

Looking at Jared Berggren's stats sophomore year 6.9 mpg, 2.4 ppg, .4 reb, you would never think he would have become a 2nd team all big ten player. Sr year= 11ppg, 6.9 reb, 2.1 bpg.

Not saying Illikainen will have that kind of career. Wisconsin has had a few players who comes out of nowhere to become all big ten: Berggren, Kaminsky, so you never know.

Hayes, Koenig, Showalter, and Brown are all SR's. Ilikainen probably has a decent chance to start or be the first big off the bench next year. Anyone think Reuvers has a chance to start or does he need to get stronger for that to happen?

pg Trice, J Hill
sg Pritzl, B davidson
sf Iverson
pf Reuvers, Illikainen
c Happ, C. thomas

I'm not explaining myself. Not saying they are the same player. Had Illikainen got almost 30 minutes last year and had to "be the man", he would look very differently right now.

I'm just saying it's lazy to compare stats and not look at how the two players got to where they are. Illikainen had to fight for playing time last year on a Final Four-caliber team. Murphy was the man and earned his stripes. Last year's minutes and playing time drives a lot of this year's success.

Saying last year's wisconsin team was Final Four caliber isn't totally accurate. They were coming off a Final Four appearance, but had lost 2 NBA first round picks. They lost 3 home games out of conference and had no seniors. Wisconsin was certainly better than us last year, but they weren't world beaters either. He's averaging about 10 minutes a game, so he's probably not a regular rotation player.

I know a lot of Badger fans that are about to give up all hope on Illikanien. A la Evan Anderson and JP Gavinski. Contrary to popular belief, not all highly touted Wisconsin big men pan out.

Next year will be key for him, obviously. It would seem he fits the mold of the spot up three-point shooting big that UW has produced throughout the Bo Ryan era, but something seems to be holding him back.

Next year will be key for him, obviously. It would seem he fits the mold of the spot up three-point shooting big that UW has produced throughout the Bo Ryan era, but something seems to be holding him back.

Sometimes getting the consistent minutes every game makes a difference. He'll probably play a lot more next season.

Sometimes getting the consistent minutes every game makes a difference. He'll probably play a lot more next season.

I believe he will be a strong contributor before his career is over with. But in the games I've watched this year, he's looked pretty lost and timid. His confidence looks shot.

Kaminsky started slow too

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

I hope Sid didn't just trigger a reverse jinx. Vitto Brown might not play, Illikainen figures to get more PT, hope Sid's not inviting one of those "game of your life" deals for Illikainen like Tum Tum and Alvin Ellis had vs. the Gophers in B1G Game 1.

The exact first thought I had also. Watch Illikainen not be able to miss a shot today. He could still have a breakout year next year when he likely gets more playing time.

Ya because the team was horrendous last year while recruiting him. I think the tide has changed now with the in state guys. Coffey and Oturu are huge gets and I think guys are going to want to be part of turning this program around.

Ya because the team was horrendous last year while recruiting him. I think the tide has changed now with the in state guys. Coffey and Oturu are huge gets and I think guys are going to want to be part of turning this program around.

We also had no open scholarships at the time that he committed.

Watched Sconnie have their way with Penn State last night. AI had some decent minutes. B1G man!

Top Bottom