KSTP Video: Local Gophers Football Recruits React After Meeting With Fleck Tuesday

Let's see where TC ends up. If he's as great as you seem to think, he'll find another job and win there.
Get over it! Row The Boat!!!
We'll never know what Claeys would have done here. Too many people looking for a quick fix to a long-term project.

We can get over it when Fleck wins 10 plus games in a season at UMN. So far he's zero for zero. Perhaps you're not patient enough to wait.

We'll never know what Claeys would have done here. Too many people looking for a quick fix to a long-term project.

We can get over it when Fleck wins 10 plus games in a season at UMN. So far he's zero for zero. Perhaps you're not patient enough to wait.
And Claeys was zero for one

What was your thought when you saw TC standing on the sideline the first time? ( besides his girth)The guy didn't have any interaction with anyone on the sideline - just him standing there like a puppet with no expression.IMG_0948.jpg The guy was like an accountant of football , making all the safe moves and never making that risky investment that may have made you rich. Hopefully Fleck will retain all the safe stuff Claeys/Kill built, but take some chances to get us to the next level.

What was your thought when you saw TC standing on the sideline the first time? ( besides his girth)The guy didn't have any interaction with anyone on the sideline - just him standing there like a puppet with no expression.View attachment 4692 The guy was like an accountant of football , making all the safe moves and never making that risky investment that may have made you rich. Hopefully Fleck will retain all the safe stuff Claeys/Kill built, but take some chances to get us to the next level.

The first time I saw TC standing on the sidelines I was yelling,"what the F are you doing?" We had the ball 1st and goal at the half yard line with 19 seconds left and a timeout!! We were running motion and barely got the play off. We should have had 4 plays to score a touchdown, but instead because of his incompetence we were lucky to have two. We lost the Jug that night and I was in denial the whole walk back to my car!!

Last year we had the easiest schedule we will ever have in the B1G, so this 9 wins is so overblown to me. Before the season, looking at that schedule and knowing we had an experienced senior QB I was expecting to win at least 9 games. It should have been our 2015 Iowa season. With that schedule we would have averaged 9 wins or more with mason or kill as the coach. What were our signature wins? Northwestern and Washington State? TC was 0-5 in trophy games in less than a year and a half and I could not consider it a great year when we lose to both Iowa and Wisconsin.

I've heard TC is a nice guy and he would have probably kept our program in the middle of the B1G West, but he wasn't getting anyone excited about the program. PJF has a chance to build something here that we haven't had in over half a century, and I for one am as excited about it and it sounds like his recruits are excited about it also.

Claeys was 9-4. Remind us how many coaches won 9 games at UMN. Remind us how many won 9 games in the first full year as head coach.

Fleck may or may not win that many next season, but if he is elite, as you believe, then 10 wins is the minimum expectation every year.

So far, Fleck has zero wins at Minnesota. Let's wait to see what the win-loss record is after next season. Who will you blame if ten wins is not accomplished? My guess is you'll blame Claeys, the kids he recruited and the "scandal." You'll give Fleck a pass and say "wait for next year." The cycle of revolving football coaches will continue as you pine for the next flash in the pan. Patience is not the way of the Gopherhole.

The first time I saw TC standing on the sidelines I was yelling,"what the F are you doing?" We had the ball 1st and goal at the half yard line with 19 seconds left and a timeout!! We were running motion and barely got the play off. We should have had 4 plays to score a touchdown, but instead because of his incompetence we were lucky to have two. We lost the Jug that night and I was in denial the whole walk back to my car!!

Last year we had the easiest schedule we will ever have in the B1G, so this 9 wins is so overblown to me. Before the season, looking at that schedule and knowing we had an experienced senior QB I was expecting to win at least 9 games. It should have been our 2015 Iowa season. With that schedule we would have averaged 9 wins or more with mason or kill as the coach. What were our signature wins? Northwestern and Washington State? TC was 0-5 in trophy games in less than a year and a half and I could not consider it a great year when we lose to both Iowa and Wisconsin.

I've heard TC is a nice guy and he would have probably kept our program in the middle of the B1G West, but he wasn't getting anyone excited about the program. PJF has a chance to build something here that we haven't had in over half a century, and I for one am as excited about it and it sounds like his recruits are excited about it also.
Salem had that chance, Wacker had that chance, Brewster had that chance....

Rome was not built in a day.

Claeys was 9-4. Remind us how many coaches won 9 games at UMN. Remind us how many won 9 games in the first full year as head coach.

Fleck may or may not win that many next season, but if he is elite, as you believe, then 10 wins is the minimum expectation every year.

So far, Fleck has zero wins at Minnesota. Let's wait to see what the win-loss record is after next season. Who will you blame if ten wins is not accomplished? My guess is you'll blame Claeys, the kids he recruited and the "scandal." You'll give Fleck a pass and say "wait for next year." The cycle of revolving football coaches will continue as you pine for the next flash in the pan. Patience is not the way of the Gopherhole.
So you preferred the 2016 season to the 2014 season when the Gophers crushed Michigan for the Little Brown Jug, destroyed Iowa for Floyd of Rosedale, beat Nebraska, fought Ohio St and Wisconsin into the 4th quarter, and played in a New Year's Day bowl game?
Gopher fans were excited b/c the program was on the rise. That excitement died in 2015 with Kill's issues and struggles on the field.
I'd argue that 2014 was the last time the Kill/Claeys era showed progress and that Kill's illness (in part due to the AD situation according to Kill) undermined the 2015 season. In hindsight, it was obvious that Kill was under immense pressure and that led to his eventual resignation.
I think TC was a capable interim coach though some questionable game decisions suggest otherwise. Kill generated some excitement with his passion for success and fairly disciplinarian style, something that left with him when he resigned. But, Kill's Offensive scheme was too predictable, running Power endlessly with a little Inside Zone sprinkled in. Defenses loaded the box and left it to guys like David Cobb to make his own yards. Rodney Smith struggled running Power (in 2015) and did better with Outside and Inside Zone schemes used last season, gaining a lot of yards on his own as well. Neither the Kill Offense or the Claeys Offense was going to get the Gophers over the B1G West hump. PJF will run a more dynamic Offense and make watching Offense a little more fun. If he can keep the Defense performing at a high level and get more out of the Offense, Fleck will have success.

Claeys was 9-4. Remind us how many coaches won 9 games at UMN. Remind us how many won 9 games in the first full year as head coach

This rhetoric about how great 9 wins is bugs me seeing how the program played fewer games in most of its existence and the non-conference schedule is now used to pad stats. A more appropriate comparison would be "How many coaches lost 4 or fewer Big Ten games at UMN". Under that measure, many seasons have equaled or surpassed it. Throw quality wins in the mix, and it's no comparison (although the program is obviously stronger than the Brewster & Wacker eras).

Granted, I'm grumpy from being a little hungover :)

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

This rhetoric about how great 9 wins is bugs me seeing how the program played fewer games in most of its existence and the non-conference schedule is now used to pad stats. A more appropriate comparison would be "How many coaches lost 4 or fewer Big Ten games at UMN". Under that measure, many seasons have equaled or surpassed it. Throw quality wins in the mix, and it's no comparison (although the program is obviously stronger than the Brewster & Wacker eras).

Also we added two weak programs to the conference in Rutgers and Maryland.

Claeys was 9-4. Remind us how many coaches won 9 games at UMN. Remind us how many won 9 games in the first full season.

He was an interim coach who was handed the reigns. He inherited a program built by Kill. Your questions are a bit misleading.

Claeys was thrown under the bus and was a respectable coach and is a great guy by all accounts.

I have no doubt we would have been a very solid team under him. I did have doubts about his ability to get us to the next level.

I agree with the decision to let him go. I disagree with how it went down. But because I cheer for the team and not the administration, life goes on.

How much of the 9-4 was generated off of steam left over from the Kill era? There was lots of chatter about Sawvel looking around. About boneheaded recruiting decisions made by Claeys that left the other coaches shaking their heads. Many players liked playing for him, but didn't really respect him as a strong figurehead.

Those that don't believe 9 wins, capped-off by a bowl win, is a successful season for Gopher football either haven't been following our squad for more than 5 minutes or have a personal aversion to TC.

Those that don't believe 9 wins, capped-off by a bowl win, is a successful season for Gopher football either haven't been following our squad for more than 5 minutes or have a personal aversion to TC.

You need to change your culture.

PJF will run a more dynamic Offense and make watching Offense a little more fun. If he can keep the Defense performing at a high level and get more out of the Offense, Fleck will have success.

This is your dream. We will see if the dream becomes reality. The question is out as to whether you'll be entertained with a 10 win season or entertained with a 2 win season. But, at least it will be entertaining. [emoji322] [emoji322] [emoji322] [emoji324]

I like TC as a person and would have been okay in letting him coach them next year if we didn't want to pay another buyout. But, the signature wins last year were against Northwestern and Washington State....he was 0-5 in trophy games and lost two trophy's on his watch as head coach. Last year was not that great of a season considering expectations (based on the schedule and a 5th year senior QB). If we had lost to Washington State, NOBODY would have considered it a good year....and honestly, that win didn't move the needle from bad to good for me.

He was an interim coach who was handed the reigns. He inherited a program built by Kill. Your questions are a bit misleading.

Claeys was thrown under the bus and was a respectable coach and is a great guy by all accounts.

I have no doubt we would have been a very solid team under him. I did have doubts about his ability to get us to the next level.

I agree with the decision to let him go. I disagree with how it went down. But because I cheer for the team and not the administration, life goes on.

How much of the 9-4 was generated off of steam left over from the Kill era? There was lots of chatter about Sawvel looking around. About boneheaded recruiting decisions made by Claeys that left the other coaches shaking their heads. Many players liked playing for him, but didn't really respect him as a strong figurehead.
Interesting interpretation and surmising of events with no substance to back up the claims. I have no idea if you are right or wrong, I only know you are making claims.

I like TC as a person and would have been okay in letting him coach them next year if we didn't want to pay another buyout. But, the signature wins last year were against Northwestern and Washington State....he was 0-5 in trophy games and lost two trophy's on his watch as head coach. Last year was not that great of a season considering expectations (based on the schedule and a 5th year senior QB). If we had lost to Washington State, NOBODY would have considered it a good year....and honestly, that win didn't move the needle from bad to good for me.
The play of our 5th year senior QB was the reason we lost several of those games. And we did beat WSU.

I'm not disputing the season had some success. After all, I was at every home game of the horrid 0-8 B10 Brewster season. I'm pointing out that the team had other recent seasons that were just as successful and more fun with bigger wins. The more important issue is where the program was headed in the future.

I'm not disputing the season had some success. After all, I was at every home game of the horrid 0-8 B10 Brewster season. I'm pointing out that the team had other recent seasons that were just as successful and more fun with bigger wins. The more important issue is where the program was headed in the future.

Fair assessment. But if you looked back over the past 40 years of Gopher football, you would only find a handful of seasons that one could objectively say were more successful. For a first year head coach to have such a season, I would say that is rather impressive and bodes well for the future. I can't predict the future, but hope Fleck can take us to the next level from the foundation built by fine coaches like JK, TC and JS.

The play of our 5th year senior QB was the reason we lost several of those games. And we did beat WSU.

We played the easiest B1G schedule we will ever play. If TC was EVER going to have us contend for the B1G North Title, last year would have been the year. If we would have had a normal B1G schedule, we would have been playing Central Michigan in the bowl game (and honestly, is Washington State even that big of a power). Ticket sales were down, and interest in the program was apathetic. The reason for the apathy is because the expectations people like you have for the Gophers. Maybe middle of the pack of the B1G North is fine for people like you, but I for one would like to contend for Rose Bowls and even national titles. If Iowa and Wisconsin are able to do it, why can't the University of Minnesota. And yes that is a statement, not a question.

We played the easiest B1G schedule we will ever play. If TC was EVER going to have us contend for the B1G North Title, last year would have been the year. If we would have had a normal B1G schedule, we would have been playing Central Michigan in the bowl game. Ticket sales were down, and interest in the program was apathetic. The reason for the apathy is because the expectations people like you have for the Gophers. Maybe middle of the pack of the B1G North is fine for people like you, but I for one would like to contend for Rose Bowls and even national titles. If Iowa and Wisconsin are able to do it, why can't the University of Minnesota. And yes that is a statement, not a question.

How do you know what my expectations are for the Gopher football program. That was a statement. Not a question. Please explain this to me so I can evaluate it and recalibrate based on a real fan such as yourself.

How do you know what my expectations are for the Gopher football program. That was a statement. Not a question. Please explain this to me so I can evaluate it and recalibrate based on a real fan such as yourself.

Sorry I shouldn't have said that....I agree. I just think last year was the best TC was ever going to give us. I was excited going into last season because we had an experienced 5th year QB and a schedule that had us looking at 10 or 11 wins in my opinion. I watched TC coach us in 5 losing trophy games, and honestly, those games are more important to me than a game against Washington State in San Diego. Last year for me was at best a push...mainly because the signature wins were against Northwestern and Washington State. To me that is not a good year, even though we won 9 games.

The fact that the Kill/Claeys era couldn't develop a QB better than Mitch is an indictment of their program.

There are NCAA QB that threw more TD in 2016 than Leidner did in 4 years of play. His inconsistency and lack of clutch big play ability hurt the program.

Interesting interpretation and surmising of events with no substance to back up the claims. I have no idea if you are right or wrong, I only know you are making claims.

I know three people with close ties to the program. I could care less if you believe me.

The fact that the Kill/Claeys era couldn't develop a QB better than Mitch is an indictment of their program.

There are NCAA QB that threw more TD in 2016 than Leidner did in 4 years of play. His inconsistency and lack of clutch big play ability hurt the program.
And that's why TC fired Limey. TC did not have ample time to fix the side of the ball that was clearly in decline due to holes at WR, OL and QB. Thank God for our running backs.

Sorry I shouldn't have said that....I agree. I just think last year was the best TC was ever going to give us. I was excited going into last season because we had an experienced 5th year QB and a schedule that had us looking at 10 or 11 wins in my opinion. I watched TC coach us in 5 losing trophy games, and honestly, those games are more important to me than a game against Washington State in San Diego. Last year for me was at best a push...mainly because the signature wins were against Northwestern and Washington State. To me that is not a good year, even though we won 9 games.

I think it's fair to have that opinion. And hope Fleck proves you right. If he does not, we will be wishing for the TC/JS stud defense and left wondering if, in time, TC could have turned around the offense.

I think it's fair to have that opinion. And hope Fleck proves you right. If he does not, we will be wishing for the TC/JS stud defense and left wondering if, in time, TC could have turned around the offense.

I think it was clear he wasn't going to be able to recruit the talent necessary to turn the offense around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wasn't sure about PJF before the hire. But after watching the news conference and the number of kids who want to come play for him the last couple of weeks, I can honestly say I really like the direction of the program right now. Even more so than at anytime Jerry Kill was the coach, and I was a big fan of the Kill hiring and Jerry Kill.

I think it was clear he wasn't going to be able to recruit the talent necessary to turn the offense around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
He built a top 25 defense with the same level of recruits. That said, based on the PJF early results, it seems clear that he will be able to attract much more highly ranked offensive talent.

I'm not questioning, just genuinely curious if you're willing to share some examples. I know it could be tricky since it might involve some enrolled players. Some fans are under the mistaken assumption coaches agree about everything (so no decisions should be questioned) and nothing could be further from the truth.

I wasn't sure about PJF before the hire. But after watching the news conference and the number of kids who want to come play for him the last couple of weeks, I can honestly say I really like the direction of the program right now. Even more so than at anytime Jerry Kill was the coach, and I was a big fan of the Kill hiring and Jerry Kill.

I agree that the level of excitement is impressive. I live in Atlanta and have Michigan grads congratulating me on the hiring of Fleck and suggesting that it bodes well for the Big 10. (In the heart of SEC country we Big 10 grads really need to circle the wagons tend to pull for each other.) But I'll keep my chili cold until I see him coach a few games.

Top Bottom