KSTP Video: Local Gophers Football Recruits React After Meeting With Fleck Tuesday

Other than that one over the top part of their personalities I really, really don't think aaaaanybody is comparing the two.

Yikes.

Heavy paraphrasing alert... "Fleck wants to win the B1G and go to the Rose Bowl. He's dead serious. When I told Claeys I wanted to do that, he sort of laughed at me. Fleck is dead serious"
I guess the recruits didn't hear Mennesota, PMWinSTP, Spoofin and others tell us how lucky we were to have Claeys's Offense and TC as a Head Coach. TC was good DC, but that's all he was. He wasn't a leader, he wasn't an intellectual, he wasn't a recruiter, he wasn't exciting, he wasn't a public speaker...he was NOT a Head Coach. Coyle knew that and didn't want to hitch his wagon to TC's vision? of Gopher Football.
I don't know if PJF will take the Gophers to the Rose Bowl, but the chances got immensely better when TC was let go and they hired PJF.

In a nutshell, no coach hired in the last 50 years has a better chance at the Rose Bowl than Fleck. He has the new facilities, an admin that will spare no expense because his failure will mean their firing as well and a 9-4 team to build on and a winning Big Ten record and 5 bowls in the last 5 years.

So I am rightly expecting that Rose Bowl birth in the next 3-4 years...

People like to rip the "salesmen" on here. You guys act like your "engineers" were having such amazing success.
9-4 verses...pick a Brewster season.

I like the idea of Fleck being an architect rather than salesman. I give him the benefit of the doubt. My frustration is less with a new coach who is unrelentingly positive than it is with the administrative snakes who hired him.

:clap:

Maybe now people can stop ripping Brewster endlessly for having a goal.

Having a goal is one thing. Having a plan of how to get there is another. Still deserving of ridicule.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#coacheslivesmatter

7-6...wow two wins, the state is still abuzz about the stunning success of last year.
???

2015 = 6-7
2016 = 9-4

When was the last time the Gophers won 9 games in a season?

The old saying is that Rome was not built in a day. Sadly, people on the GH keep pining for a new builder to tear down the old and rebuild on top of the rubble.

How's that approach been working out for the past 50 years.

They say the mark of insanity is trying the same approach and expecting different results. Well, Coyle just rebooted the same approach...and you think we'll have different results. Make the connection.

Support our new coach and his vision of winning the B1G. I'm sick of losing to Wisconsin and being second class citizens in the CFB world.

Some guy gave a speech in Washington DC today and said he was going to make America Great Again.

Nice slogan - looks good on a bumper sticker. Can he make it happen? I don't know, and I'm going to wait and see what happens.

That is how I also feel about Fleck. Lots of slogans and bumper-sticker material - but he hasn't coached a game yet at the U of MN (or any other major-conference program). Can he succeed? I don't know, and I'm going to wait and see what happens.

In my book, Blind Faith is the name of a rock band - not a philosophy for living your life.

LOL, yes there are many things on the surface that remind a person of Brewster.

Claeys was not a salesman. He was an engineer. This explains why Claeys was reticent to promise a Rose Bowl and National Championship. It also explains why Fleck/Brewster doesn't bat an eye when declaring national championship goals. Fleck is a salesman to the core.

It's fun to observe the gopherhole and see those who are swayed by salespeople and those who want to talk to an engineer before buying.

Can you clarify what you mean? Are you ridiculing those who are buying into what Fleck is selling? And when you write "Fleck/Brewster" like that, are you saying that they are the same? Personally, I think a head coach has to be a salesman. Now some people are both engineers and salesmen, and hopefully that is what Fleck is. Fleck at least has a record of past success, which makes it easier to believe he's not just selling BS.

Some guy gave a speech in Washington DC today and said he was going to make America Great Again.

Nice slogan - looks good on a bumper sticker. Can he make it happen? I don't know, and I'm going to wait and see what happens.

That is how I also feel about Fleck. Lots of slogans and bumper-sticker material - but he hasn't coached a game yet at the U of MN (or any other major-conference program). Can he succeed? I don't know, and I'm going to wait and see what happens.

In my book, Blind Faith is the name of a rock band - not a philosophy for living your life.

These aren't life choices. It's just cheering for a team.

Can you clarify what you mean? Are you ridiculing those who are buying into what Fleck is selling? And when you write "Fleck/Brewster" like that, are you saying that they are the same? Personally, I think a head coach has to be a salesman. Now some people are both engineers and salesmen, and hopefully that is what Fleck is. Fleck at least has a record of past success, which makes it easier to believe he's not just selling BS.

And someone called Fleck an architect with a vision, but all of these labels aside, I really don't care what he is as long as he is not corrupt, as long as he wins games and bowl games and championships.

Yikes.

Heavy paraphrasing alert... "Fleck wants to win the B1G and go to the Rose Bowl. He's dead serious. When I told Claeys I wanted to do that, he sort of laughed at me. Fleck is dead serious"

Sorry, I'm not buying that Claeys didn't think they could win a championship. And even if he didn't believe, he wouldn't make that known to a player.

Did he laugh when Bursch mentioned it? I'm sure he did. But I will not believe that he was laughing at the thought of winning a championship. I assume he was smiling and chucking as part of the conversation.

I will say that if that's how Bursch interpreted it, that's on Claeys. He's not exactly The Great Communicator.

I get the point you're trying to make, but I think the analogy would work better if the guy in D.C. had previous executive experience (perhaps something in public service or any elected office). Our faith doesn't need to be completely blind. Our coach has some experience/success in this field.

It also has to do with preparation, experience and actions. One has hit the ground running which gives an indication of the effort and determination that will be needed. The other just wants to be hear themselves talk and be in charge. It is like Mason says, there are those who want to coach and those who want to be coach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not buying a house - I'm simply cheering for the college football team I like. Objectively I realize that the Fleck experiment could go bad just as easily as it could go well. But it is way more fun to just 'buy in' and go along for the ride. The last 2 weeks have brought me more excitement for Gopher football than at any point during Claeys' tenure. This isn't serious stuff - Fleck makes it fun. RTB!!! Ski-U-Mah!!!

This!!! Great Post^^^^^^^

Any successful organization is built on a single premise...
Do the workers buy into what your leader is selling and will they willing to work harder when the chips are down or the challenge is great.
Leaders like this get there two ways:
1. Lead by example- no job is too small. Be the first to do anything to make things better. Picking up a mop, making personal calls to recruits, fixing busted doors, getting resources people never got before and YES... sell your program and employees as #1. The leader puts everyone else FIRST.
2. Nick Saban, Donald Trump, Calipari, Phil Jackson, etc. you've won enough or have been so successful people are willing to follow blindly because of your success. People like to follow winners. I'm not doubting X's and O's or decisions by this group as they have also all have failed...there's more to it. But success breeds success and leads people differently then true motivation.

I'm not certain PJ is the first type, but so far he's a guy I'd watch as I like what I see so far.

???

2015 = 6-7
2016 = 9-4

The old saying is that Rome was not built in a day. Sadly, people on the GH keep pining for a new builder to tear down the old and rebuild on top of the rubble.

They say the mark of insanity is trying the same approach and expecting different results. Well, Coyle just rebooted the same approach...and you think we'll have different results. Make the connection.

Brewster went 7-6 in his second year, 2 wins less than Claeys' epic year. One you want to build a statue for and one isn't qualified to coach a peewee team to you. Brewster and Fleck are attempts to try something new. Didn't work with Brew, but he wasn't the complete disaster people make him out to be. Kill and Claeys seem like rolling out another Glen Mason to me. They are good at what they do, but what they do isn't good enough to be more than a middling big10 team the vast majority of the time.

???

2015 = 6-7
2016 = 9-4

why don't you take a positive pill

Brewster went 7-6 in his second year, 2 wins less than Claeys' epic year. One you want to build a statue for and one isn't qualified to coach a peewee team to you. Brewster and Fleck are attempts to try something new. Didn't work with Brew, but he wasn't the complete disaster people make him out to be. Kill and Claeys seem like rolling out another Glen Mason to me. They are good at what they do, but what they do isn't good enough to be more than a middling big10 team the vast majority of the time.
How much time was Claeys given? He won 9 games in his one and only full year of coaching. We will never know what he could have produced over a longer period. But, that's not surprising in Minnesota where we seem to pine for a new coach every other year.

It is no surprise that Minnesota has gone 50 years without getting to the Rose Bowl.

LOL, yes there are many things on the surface that remind a person of Brewster.

Claeys was not a salesman. He was an engineer. This explains why Claeys was reticent to promise a Rose Bowl and National Championship. It also explains why Fleck/Brewster doesn't bat an eye when declaring national championship goals. Fleck is a salesman to the core.

It's fun to observe the gopherhole and see those who are swayed by salespeople and those who want to talk to an engineer before buying.

"Engineer" and "Salesman" aren't mutually exclusive. Check out Fleck's talk at the recent Nat'l Coaches Clinic and you'll see the engineering structure he's put into his program.

"Engineer" and "Salesman" aren't mutually exclusive. Check out Fleck's talk at the recent Nat'l Coaches Clinic and you'll see the engineering structure he's put into his program.
For the sake of Gopher football, I hope you're right.

How much time was Claeys given? He won 9 games in his one and only full year of coaching. We will never know what he could have produced over a longer period. But, that's not surprising in Minnesota where we seem to pine for a new coach every other year.

It is no surprise that Minnesota has gone 50 years without getting to the Rose Bowl.
Let's see where TC ends up. If he's as great as you seem to think, he'll find another job and win there.
Get over it! Row The Boat!!!

Sorry, I'm not buying that Claeys didn't think they could win a championship. And even if he didn't believe, he wouldn't make that known to a player.

Did he laugh when Bursch mentioned it? I'm sure he did. But I will not believe that he was laughing at the thought of winning a championship. I assume he was smiling and chucking as part of the conversation.

I will say that if that's how Bursch interpreted it, that's on Claeys. He's not exactly The Great Communicator.

Looks like TC was embracing the "Brick by Brick" mantra. He and Kill worked years to get from the bottom of the B1G to the middle. TC likely thought it would take the same time to get to the top. If he laughed, it was likely due to the fact he knew it would take a lot of improvement to make it to the Rose Bowl. Alvarez didn't do it in until his fourth year at Wisconsin.

Top Bottom