Official 2020 Gophers Football Recruiting Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Rumors

Clemson, of course, sits in an area that is much richer in talent than Iowa, Wisconsin or Minnesota. We are at a huge geographic disadvantage.

Laugh at Nebraska or Michigan for the state of their programs but their recruiting is much better than Wisconsin's, Iowa's or Minnesota's right now. Miami and Florida State both have top-25 classes for 2020 according to 24/7. And you can scoff at recruiting rankings but the fact remains that the teams in the CFP have among the best recruiting in the country. They stockpile four- and five-star players, and they have crazy depth.

Wisconsin has been playing at a high or fairly high level for 30 years now. We have never had a top-20 class. I don't know if we'll ever have one. I don't think Minnesota or Iowa ever will, either. Hopefully one of these years our recruiting philosophy pays off with a CFP trip. Just hope it doesn't go like Michigan State, which won a Rose Bowl, went to the CFP -- and since then it's been nothing but disaster for that program.

Clemson, of course, sits in an area that is much richer in talent than Iowa, Wisconsin or Minnesota. We are at a huge geographic disadvantage.

Laugh at Nebraska or Michigan for the state of their programs but their recruiting is much better than Wisconsin's, Iowa's or Minnesota's right now. Miami and Florida State both have top-25 classes for 2020 according to 24/7. And you can scoff at recruiting rankings but the fact remains that the teams in the CFP have among the best recruiting in the country. They stockpile four- and five-star players, and they have crazy depth.

Wisconsin has been playing at a high or fairly high level for 30 years now. We have never had a top-20 class. I don't know if we'll ever have one. I don't think Minnesota or Iowa ever will, either. Hopefully one of these years our recruiting philosophy pays off with a CFP trip. Just hope it doesn't go like Michigan State, which won a Rose Bowl, went to the CFP -- and since then it's been nothing but disaster for that program.

Iowa has had a top ten class before. But it might be the only top 20 class of the three states ever.

Sometimes I wonder if there's really much of a difference between the 25-40 ranked teams. Aren't the individual player rankings are pretty subjective if they're not top tier? Personally, I'm more interested in seeing the list of other teams who have made offers to the players we sign. It's not really measurable, but I think we've made progress there.
Yeah, I think it goes to how well recruits in those class rankings fit the schemes. I have no doubt Gophs can get to consistent top 15-20 teams (with an occasional top 10) in the polls with consistent recruiting classes from the low 30s to low 40s.

This topic gets discussed all the time in here and the general consensus is that there is very little difference in that range. Really you could probably broaden it out even wider then that.

The recruiting sites do a good job but there is no way for them to be 100% accurate so there will be tons of guys that are over and under rated by the sites. In the end they are just making their best guesses on how players are going to turn out so it is silly to put complete stock in what the sites have to say in terms of individual and team rankings.

As long as your class rankings are in the ballpark of the teams you are competing against you should be in pretty good shape overall. Then it just depends what you do with them when they get there.

As I have mentioned a long time ago, as long as the Average Recruiting Rankings is at 86 or better (247 Sports) and the total team Points is 200 and above the Gophers are within the leading pack in the Big Ten West. I don't fret if we have a lot of high three stars. All these recruiting rankings on paper looked good. The proof comes when they actually start playing.

Don't fall! We need you with your knee(s) intact.

fast for computer timed, slow for hand timed.

Slow for a HS OT?

Here are the 5 top 40 times for OL at last season’s combine. How much should we add for hand-timed? A tenth or two? He looks pretty fast for a OT, especially considering he’s had a limited amount of time in a decent strength and conditioning program.

With his size, speed and athleticism, he might be re-deployable to defensive tackle if we pick up enough other good OL commits. Looks like you get options on either side of the ball with this kid.

Last edited:

With his size, speed and athleticism, he might be re-deplorable to defensive tackle if we pick up enough other good OL commits. Looks like you get options on either side of the ball with this kid.

You never know. He’s only been playing football since 10th grade. Same with wrestling and track, and he’s excelled in both of those too. He took 5th place in shot put at the state meet in his first year as a Sophomore. Sounds like he’s some sort of athletic freak who just needs to refine his technique. I would imagine he’ll eventually be able to play wherever they put him.

With his size, speed and athleticism, he might be re-deplorable to defensive tackle if we pick up enough other good OL commits. Looks like you get options on either side of the ball with this kid.
Does re-deplorable mean he was a Trump supporter who became a hater, but is a supporter once again?

In case anyone thinks that 4.89 might be a fluke, he ran 4.92 at a camp a couple months prior to that, according to his coach. I believe that’s the camp the Gophers coaching staff attended.

I looked up some other OTs for comparison. Faalele ran a 5.62. Tristan Wirfs is very athletic, and will probably be a 1st round pick. He’s down for a 5.29 high school time. I’m assuming those were hand timed. The bottom line is Ersery has very unusual speed for his size.

In case anyone thinks that 4.89 might be a fluke, he ran 4.92 at a camp a couple months prior to that, according to his coach. I believe that’s the camp the Gophers coaching staff attended.

I looked up some other OTs for comparison. Faalele ran a 5.62. Tristan Wirfs is very athletic, and will probably be a 1st round pick. He’s down for a 5.29 high school time. I’m assuming those were hand timed.

What did the Richter scale read when Faalele ran? A lot.

In case anyone thinks that 4.89 might be a fluke, he ran 4.92 at a camp a couple months prior to that, according to his coach.

What did the Richter scale read when Faalele ran? A lot.

I don’t know, but I’m thinking he’ll need to do better than 5.62 to be a high draft pick. The good news is, every NFL OT I looked up ran a better 40 at the combine than they did in high school. I basically just went off that tweet of the top 5 combine 40s from last year plus a couple others. The average improvement was about 2 tenths after 3-4 years of college ball.

In case anyone thinks that 4.89 might be a fluke, he ran 4.92 at a camp a couple months prior to that, according to his coach.

I don’t know, but I’m thinking he’ll need to do better than 5.62 to be a high draft pick. The good news is, every NFL OT I looked up ran a better 40 at the combine than they did in high school. I basically just went off that tweet of the top 5 combine 40s from last year plus a couple others. The average improvement was about 2 tenths after 3-4 years of college ball.

I was just joking about how massive a guy he is. But honestly 2 tenths would look better. What surprises me is he has not lost any weight. He came in at 400 and stayed there. Usually we hear about changing unused weight (which I have plenty) to muscle and still lose 20-40 pounds. Didn't Dunlap do something like that?

I was just joking about how massive a guy he is. But honestly 2 tenths would look better. What surprises me is he has not lost any weight. He came in at 400 and stayed there. Usually we hear about changing unused weight (which I have plenty) to muscle and still lose 20-40 pounds. Didn't Dunlap do something like that?

I agree. He’d still dominate most DEs at 360-370, and probably gain a lot of foot speed. I guess it just comes down to how bad he wants it.

He won't have any trouble fitting into the GOphers scheme on either Defense or Offense. At DT, with that speed after bulking up he'd be a nightmare. As an OT, he'd be quick at run and trap blocking.

The Gophers seem to recruit athletes who can fit into other positions and do well. I guess that is why PJ raves about multi-sport HS athletes.

Muscle is denser than fat, so the same mass of muscle weighs more than fat.

per Sid:

• Now that signing day has wrapped up, the Gophers football team ranks 38th in national recruiting for the 2020 class, up from 45th last year. The team’s 2021 class currently ranks No. 13 in the nation and No. 5 in the Big Ten.

Go Gophers!!

The same volume of muscle weighs more than fat...but a kilogram is a kilogram....
In physics, mass is related to weight.

But in general usage English, mass can just mean some large body of matter. :cool:

McGill still doesn’t show up on our 247 page for the class, for whatever little that’s probably worth.

Top Bottom