Official 2020 Gophers Football Recruiting Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Rumors

per Shooter:

Wisconsin had the 26th-best incoming football recruiting class, Iowa the 31st, according to 247sports.com. The Gophers were 33rd.

Go Gophers!!
Old news man...

how many scholarships do we have left for 2020?

how many scholarships do we have left for 2020?
After the bowl game and before, as well as after spring ball, you'll see a number of players leave the program for one reason or another.

That is how the coaches get "the numbers to work out", so that we can have all 25 new scholarship players, plus any transfers or newly awarded scholarship players that don't count against the 25, be able to be on scholly by the summer term.

Would be interesting to know what the rules say about early enrollees (spring term), and if the school is allowed to award them a scholarship while outgoing seniors are still finishing their degrees, and thus obviously the total number of players on scholly is above 85.

Maybe there is a reason why there is only eight early enrollees.

It will be a challenge as well as a balancing act between improving the roster depth chart through development and keeping the attrition of backup players in development who want to be starters sooner than later elsewhere. The various reasons for leaving the program have been discussed here previously.

IMHO, that many new signees over perceived scholarship allotments means something is cooking. The coaches might already know of or have good sense of how many players are leaving the program early.

PJ Fleck have regular conversations with each player.

Last edited:

"have good sense of how many players are leaving the program early" or "have good sense of how many players they are going to ask to leave the program early" ?

Either way ...

PJ Fleck - does he do one on one with each individual player weekly? I know there is Mo Monday.

Speaking of transfers - will the Gophers snatch somebody who can make an impact on the program before the start of the season? Last year it was Micah Drew Treadway and St. Juste.

Speaking of transfers - will the Gophers snatch somebody who can make an impact on the program before the start of the season? Last year it was Micah Drew Treadway and St. Juste.

Have you not listened to any p.j has said. Theyre keeping a scholly avail in case a late qualifier or transfer presents itself

Gophs currently #36 (#9 B1G) on 247, #37 (#10 B1G) on Rivals.

It's gonna take another big season for the higher end recruits to take us seriously, is my wild guess.

Gophs currently #36 (#9 B1G) on 247, #37 (#10 B1G) on Rivals.
Note that the 36th on 247 is the composite grade which includes Rivals and ESPN. We are 30th (7th in the Big Ten) if you only look at 247's grades.

Probably will need a Rose bowl appearance and 10+ wins for 3 out of 5 years to get to that "next tier" of recruiting.
And we need those higher tier recruits to go from the 30s nationally to the 20s, right? Roughly speaking

Like others have said Iowa and Wisconsin (specifically Wisconsin) have had 20 years of 10 wins, going to rose bowls, etc. and still only land a handful of 4* guys a year. I think it will take more than a few more good seasons to pull recruits that many on here expect us to start seeing.

Like others have said Iowa and Wisconsin (specifically Wisconsin) have had 20 years of 10 wins, going to rose bowls, etc. and still only land a handful of 4* guys a year. I think it will take more than a few more good seasons to pull recruits that many on here expect us to start seeing.
Also, aren't there are only like 32 5* guys in the country, and how many 4* guys? Say 100 or less. You have 65 P5 teams (including Notre Dame). Do the math. Plus a lot of those recruits come from California, Texas, the SE, and Ohio/PA. They're going to be biased towards P5s in those areas.

The vast majority of P5 players are 3*. You get the best you can, and you develop them.

Yep, feels like things are trending in the right direction and we are getting in the door with higher caliber athletes. As long as we continue to land guys who are getting looks from other power 5 and specifically Big Ten teams I will feel good about where we are at on that front.

In the end it is far more important to land the right players then it is to land the highest rated guys.

I think for most of us it would be encouraging to see a guy or two or just some average numbers creep up.

Not that those are going to make or break a team, just some sign that we're getting some traction there is what most folks hope for.

Granted one year isn't likely to just do that.

I think for most of us it would be encouraging to see a guy or two or just some average numbers creep up.

Not that those are going to make or break a team, just some sign that we're getting some traction there is what most folks hope for.

Granted one year isn't likely to just do that.
We have seen our lower quartile recruits jump pretty significantly since Fleck became our coach, and I expect we will start seeing the middle quartile start to creep up as well if we continue being successful. The top tier guys will take some time to add more than just a handful per season, but if we keep improving the middle and lower tiers of the classes it will help bump up the class averages.

Sometimes I wonder if there's really much of a difference between the 25-40 ranked teams. Aren't the individual player rankings are pretty subjective if they're not top tier? Personally, I'm more interested in seeing the list of other teams who have made offers to the players we sign. It's not really measurable, but I think we've made progress there.

Sometimes I wonder if there's really much of a difference between the 25-40 ranked teams. Aren't the individual player rankings are pretty subjective if they're not top tier? Personally, I'm more interested in seeing the list of other teams who have made offers to the players we sign. It's not really measurable, but I think we've made progress there.

This topic gets discussed all the time in here and the general consensus is that there is very little difference in that range. Really you could probably broaden it out even wider then that.

The recruiting sites do a good job but there is no way for them to be 100% accurate so there will be tons of guys that are over and under rated by the sites. In the end they are just making their best guesses on how players are going to turn out so it is silly to put complete stock in what the sites have to say in terms of individual and team rankings.

As long as your class rankings are in the ballpark of the teams you are competing against you should be in pretty good shape overall. Then it just depends what you do with them when they get there.

This topic gets discussed all the time in here and the general consensus is that there is very little difference in that range. Really you could probably broaden it out even wider then that.

The recruiting sites do a good job but there is no way for them to be 100% accurate so there will be tons of guys that are over and under rated by the sites. In the end they are just making their best guesses on how players are going to turn out so it is silly to put complete stock in what the sites have to say in terms of individual and team rankings.

As long as your class rankings are in the ballpark of the teams you are competing against you should be in pretty good shape overall. Then it just depends what you do with them when they get there.
Well said!

If we continue to be within the same ballpark as the other top teams in the West, I expect Fleck will have us competing for division titles most seasons.

The issue is when you want to take the next step, and consistently be able to beat Ohio State/Penn State/Michigan level programs who recruit in the top 10-15 range to bring home Big Ten titles. It gets tough to win the majority of your games against the talent disparity between a top 15 program versus a team that's in the 20-40 range.

The question can just as well apply to Iowa and Wisconsin, as us.

Can they ever take the next step, and compete consistently with Ohio State/Penn St?

I think it's like a chicken and egg thing. There are so few really high end recruits, and they don't want to take any risks. They want proven results. So it's like the helmet schools and the really high end recruits automatically always get paired.

How do you break through that?

The only one that comes to mind that has really done it, very well at a very high level, is Clemson. 10 years ago, I think people would think of them like a Virginia or something. Now they're an Alabama.

Maybe you could argue that for a time Oregon had broken through out West.

The question can just as well apply to Iowa and Wisconsin, as us.

Can they ever take the next step, and compete consistently with Ohio State/Penn St?

I think it's like a chicken and egg thing. There are so few really high end recruits, and they don't want to take any risks. They want proven results. So it's like the helmet schools and the really high end recruits automatically always get paired.

How do you break through that?

The only one that comes to mind that has really done it, very well at a very high level, is Clemson. 10 years ago, I think people would think of them like a Virginia or something. Now they're an Alabama.

Maybe you could argue that for a time Oregon had broken through out West.
That Nike money plus USC constantly shooting themselves in the foot really helps Oregon. Similarly Miami/Florida State being "down" from where they had been for a while also has helped Clemson. It'll be interesting to see if a team can truly take a permanent step forward without the top dog(s) falling off first.

Top Bottom