Official 2020 Gophers Football Recruiting Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Rumors

I didn’t check for RTB tattoos, but Itayvion is locked and loaded. Hope he enrolls early, and can be ready to go by next Fall!

He was below our average star rating anyways, should boost those :p

Wish young man well, I always wonder if we asked him to leave, he decided to go elsewhere, grades.....but for most part none of my business

Interesting that we just had two decommits from Chaminade-Madonna Prep in Florida - this one and Claude Larkins. Be quite a coincidence if they were both grades from the same school.

A few updates on the Jah Joyner front:

1. He is now up to a 4 star grade from 247

2. Rutgers is pushing hard with Schiano at the helm to snipe him from us

3. He is still planning on taking his OV this weekend to Minnesota

A few updates on the Jah Joyner front:

1. He is now up to a 4 star grade from 247

2. Rutgers is pushing hard with Schiano at the helm to snipe him from us

3. He is still planning on taking his OV this weekend to Minnesota

[/B]

After watching his clips, I’m not surprised. If only he were more “manly looking.”

per Sid:

Fleck on signing day

While the Gophers football coaching staff is preparing for the Outback Bowl against Auburn on Jan. 1, an equally important day is next Wednesday, when high school seniors can sign national letters of intent.

Coach P.J. Fleck said he knows that every player who is verbally committed to the Gophers right now — a number that includes 23 commitments and ranks 33rd in the nation, according to 247sports.com — might not sign.

"You hope you can keep all of them, but again, you get to this time of year and grades get evaluated again and you look at how close people are going to be to getting admitted to the University of Minnesota," Fleck said. "There's a lot of different factors that come into play. We're doing everything we can, but again, we're never going to stop recruiting, no matter what that means, whether players become ineligible or you're not able to take a young man for whatever reason or a person de-commits and goes someplace else.

"That's part of what recruiting is about in 2019 going into 2020, especially with the portal system and the way things change so fast. Your roster changes immediately and you have to be able to adapt to that and be able to see years ahead as a head coach and do everything you can to adjust to it."

Go Gophers!!

This kid is like a Praying Mantis lying in wait. Once it zeroes in on a prey, it hardly ever misses. He'll be excellent red shirting to bulk up Big Ten strong.

Wow. If we can land him, we may be looking at a legtimate Pass Rushing threat between him and Itayvion Brown.

We have future Defensive stars in the making.

Interesting that we just had two decommits from Chaminade-Madonna Prep in Florida - this one and Claude Larkins. Be quite a coincidence if they were both grades from the same school.
Unless the “school” is a diploma-mill sports factory? Where you pay a huge tuition to basically go down and guarantee your kid a scholarship to play somewhere.

I don’t think we have those in MN, but not so sure down in Florida.

General question for those that follow recruiting way more closely then I do. Does 247 tend to rank players higher in general or is this just something that seems common with players we are recruiting?

Joyner would be a prime example. His composite is 3* .867 but 247 has him as a 4* 90. Have seen this on a few other guys as well where their composite was a few points lower then where 247 had them. KY Thomas and Striggow would be another couple examples.

Just wondering if this is a common occurrence with how guys are ranked on 247 directly vs. composite.

General question for those that follow recruiting way more closely then I do. Does 247 tend to rank players higher in general or is this just something that seems common with players we are recruiting?

Joyner would be a prime example. His composite is 3* .867 but 247 has him as a 4* 90. Have seen this on a few other guys as well where their composite was a few points lower then where 247 had them. KY Thomas and Striggow would be another couple examples.

Just wondering if this is a common occurrence with how guys are ranked on 247 directly vs. composite.

247 is much more active in reviewing tape and reranking than most recruiting sites so the Striggows, Itayvion Browns, Joyners and so on likely haven’t been graded for their senior film by ESPN, Rivals and the others that make up the composite.

Edit: I also think the staff would target a kid with great raw tools (size, athleticism and so on) with mediocre film over a kid with great film that’s undersized and maybe a step slow. If a recruit has both, that’s great but I think it’d have to be a special case for the staff to take a high floor, lower ceiling type recruit. Someone like a Gage Keys is the prototype for what the staff looks for when scouting juniors. He didn’t have a ton of interest was lowly rated at the time but there was tools to work with there as he’s a great athlete and was around 6’4 220 as a junior, he’s now 6’5 255, had a strong senior season and got the rankings bump. Could be one of the steals of the class.

Last edited:

247 is much more active in reviewing tape and reranking than most recruiting sites so the Striggows, Itayvion Browns, Joyners and so on likely haven’t been graded for their senior film by ESPN, Rivals and the others that make up the composite.

To elaborate further on this, 247 will go over almost every major player and decide if they need to be re-ranked based on new film. Rivals only seems to do it when they is significantly higher interest in a player than the ranking would suggest most of them time, and ESPN doesn't do much re-ranking at all from what I've seen.

I'm personally becoming very biased toward 247, since a willingness to adjust to new information is a solid trait to have. Especially when evaluating young kids who are still developing physically.

Burns said on PA/KFAN during the season that he thought the kid from Anoka had the most upside in the whole class. We'll see.

Also have to consider the level of competition on the other side of the ball from recruit on the film. I'm sure they do that.

Burns said on PA/KFAN during the season that he thought the kid from Anoka had the most upside in the whole class. We'll see.
Yeah, he had Cody Lindenberg as a favorite of his. Really likes him as a LB along with Itayvion Brown

I'm glad Fleck & team decided to offer Lindenberg, even though he only had Dakota level offers before that. Whatever section Anoka plays in now, I'm sure the competition is similar to the old NW Suburban with Blaine, Champlin, Anoka, which was one of the top conferences in the state for football.

I'm glad Fleck & team decided to offer Lindenberg, even though he only had Dakota level offers before that. Whatever section Anoka plays in now, I'm sure the competition is similar to the old NW Suburban with Blaine, Champlin, Anoka, which was one of the top conferences in the state for football.

For sure. Reminds me of my glory days too.

This kid is like a Praying Mantis lying in wait. Once it zeroes in on a prey, it hardly ever misses. He'll be excellent red shirting to bulk up Big Ten strong.

Wow. If we can land him, we may be looking at a legtimate Pass Rushing threat between him and Itayvion Brown.

We have future Defensive stars in the making.

I like how Joyner stays low as he works through the line. That doesn’t come easy for most players. He also seems to have very long arms, which he used well in a few plays. I also wonder if these are clips from different seasons because in some clips he looks average sized and on others he looks like a man amongst boys.

I like how Joyner stays low as he works through the line. That doesn’t come easy for most players. He also seems to have very long arms, which he used well in a few plays. I also wonder if these are clips from different seasons because in some clips he looks average sized and on others he looks like a man amongst boys.

Am I reading it correctly that his Crystal Ball is trending to Rutgers after Schiano's in home visit?

Top Bottom