Official 2020 Gophers Football Recruiting Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Rumors

The defensive guys that redshirted this past year are on paper probably the best group that ever has here during the recruit ratings era.
Is Rashad Cheney in that group? I don't think we saw him play this year...? He's a guy I've been excited to see in action.

Maybe it will be a lucky thirteen and the Gophers buttoned up both visiting DEs Bailey and Levelston, and Jah Jing Joyner. A legitimate pass rush is much needed. We need all hands on deck in that department. Like they say,defense win championships.

will be interesting. I highly doubt he take all 3. Just looking at the roster here is the DE breakdown
Juniors
-Mafe
-Otomewo

Sophs
-N-Okonji
-Ahanotu

Freshman
-Anderson
-Harris

Plus we have 3 DE's already committed in this class. (assuming Larkins in gone)
I don't see us taking more than 4 Freshman. But could possibly see them taking the JUCO and one more Freshman

Nice but not “studly” looking. We NEED defensive people who can make a difference. Don’t really think we Red-shirted anyone who fills the bill. Our defense will be void of play makers unless we bring in JUCO studs. Haven’t heard of any, have you?

Not sure how you can really make any definitive claims about the defensive players we redshirted. Fleck has spoken very highly of the two linebackers. We also have a number of guys returning who played significant minutes this season.

That said, if they can find a quality Juco or transfer D-Lineman to come in it probably wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. Those guys can be tough to find though.

Usually if a red shirt is better than a starting player he would not be a red shirt.
Winning today is a better choice than hope to win more next year.
Relying on JCOs is a sign of desperation. It is a poor way to build depth which a team like tOSU has in spades.

Usually if a red shirt is better than a starting player he would not be a red shirt.
Relying on JCOs is a sign of desperation. It is a poor way to build depth which a team like tOSU has in spades.
Coach Fleck has repeatedly said the exact opposite of this.

My take is that if the RS player is close to or just a little better than the starter, then you keep the RS and let him develop in the weightroom, learn the system, etc. Hopefully in the coming years he becomes a LOT better than they guy he sat behind that first year.

Just because a true freshman or redshirt freshman is not ready to unseat a senior starter now doesn't mean they won't be ready to fill that players shoes the next season. It takes guys time to adjust to college. There is a reason why good teams tend to be loaded with Juniors and Seniors.

A lot of fans are quick to write off players that don't make an immediate impact. We have a number of defensive players from the last few classes that should hopefully be ready to step up and. Tough to count on anyone from the 2020 class but you never know.

Yeah, I'm with you. Lets just do what tOSU does, they're pretty good.

Or he met with him yesterday I should say

Attachments

• A99A6F1A-64CD-41D2-8B2A-36DA07572355.jpeg
    A99A6F1A-64CD-41D2-8B2A-36DA07572355.jpeg
    342.9 KB · Views: 37

Meeting went well per reports, and he'll be here this weekend along with ~19 others for an OV.

11ish are already committed and just taking their official, the rest are guys we are pursuing.
Do you know if there are any 4 star guys in the number of prospects visiting that aren’t already committed?

Do you know if there are any 4 star guys in the number of prospects visiting that aren’t already committed?
I don't know of any who are 4 stars at the moment, most are high 3s.

I do know that 247 bumped quite a few of our guys recently though, including a few of the players we are bringing in for visits. So they are late risers of sorts.

... and/or convert an existing scholarship slot to a PWO slot.
That isn't allowed, if the player got the scholarship as a freshman. In that case, the scholarship is guaranteed for as long as the player stays in good standing with the school and program.

Those are the new rules, since 2016 I believe.

That isn't allowed, if the player got the scholarship as a freshman. In that case, the scholarship is guaranteed for as long as the player stays in good standing with the school and program.

I believe a transfer or medical retirement are the only way to free up one of your 85 scholarships.

man this will be an exciting time between now and signing day.

So what's the deal with Joyner? 247 says he was a hard commit to Boston College in June. Obviously he has decommitted and re-opened, and we got on him. And that's just fine.

Just curious. Did his profile rise up and he wanted to give better programs a shot?

I believe a transfer or medical retirement are the only way to free up one of your 85 scholarships.
If the player didn't get the scholarship as a freshman, then it's only guaranteed for one year at a time.

I'm less clear if that counts for a JUCO, ie does having the scholarship in their first year at the U count the same? I don't think so, but not an expert.

Ben Onwuzo decommitted

He was below our average star rating anyways, should boost those :p

Wish young man well, I always wonder if we asked him to leave, he decided to go elsewhere, grades.....but for most part none of my business

So what's the deal with Joyner? 247 says he was a hard commit to Boston College in June. Obviously he has decommitted and re-opened, and we got on him. And that's just fine.

Just curious. Did his profile rise up and he wanted to give better programs a shot?
He recently got a higher grade from 247, but the majority of this is because BC fired their coach. Same with some of the Mizzou players we are going after.

He was below our average star rating anyways, should boost those :p

Wish young man well, I always wonder if we asked him to leave, he decided to go elsewhere, grades.....but for most part none of my business
Wouldn't be surprised if we're going after bigger fish based on this season. As you say, he was near the bottom, and had committed in June.

I’d be so happy if we could steal a highly ranked recruit from F*cky or the Cawkeyes

I apologize if this has already been posted elsewhere. I just saw that Casey Collier committed to USC on 12/2

What about a walk-on player that got awarded a scholy later on, such as Brock Annextad? I could see a situation where a PWO would get told "here's a scholarship for just this year". I'm not implying Brock's will get pulled, no insight or info on anything like that, just wondering if it's even an option.

What about a walk-on player that got awarded a scholy later on, such as Brock Annextad? I could see a situation where a PWO would get told "here's a scholarship for just this year". I'm not implying Brock's will get pulled, no insight or info on anything like that, just wondering if it's even an option.
Right, that is an option. Sorry, thought that was clear from my post.

If a guy doesn't have the scholarship from the freshman year, like a PWO or even a Maroon-shirt, then it doesn't fall under the guarantee protection. That's my understanding anyway.

The staff would still have to make the decision, to do it. A tough conversation. "You know _____, we just don't see a future where you're a starter or a major contributor here on our program. We'd like to help you get to a place where you can be that, if that's what you'd like to. You'll always be welcome to stay in our family here, playing whatever role you can, but we need your scholarship for someone who we think is able to be a starter or significant contributor."

Maybe that means our chances improve with Courtland Ford?
He also commited to USC a few days back, it seems like that ship has sailed.

The offensive lineman we appear to be in on right now are:

He also commited to USC a few days back, it seems like that ship has sailed.

The offensive lineman we appear to be in on right now are:

and for whats its worth it looks like Bailey, the DE who is visiting this weekend, and Tyrell Lawrence go to the same school.

Top Bottom