Official 2020 Gophers Football Recruiting Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Rumors

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

Wouldn't be surprised if both Illinois and Purdue are looking for new coaches this offseason...

Illinois should def fire Lovie. Would suggest they look at Toledo's current HC, if they win the MAC again. Or maybe App St's head coach!

Correct. He already agreed to leave once, I don't see why he wouldn't again.

Isn't that just speculation, that he agreed to take the job? I thought they never actually met? Could just be splitting hairs...

Isn't that just speculation, that he agreed to take the job? I thought they never actually met? Could just be splitting hairs...

You can read into this for what it is worth. He did sign an extension with Purdue.
https://www.courier-journal.com/story/sports/college/louisville/2018/05/07/jeff-brohm-tennessee-vols-football-coaching-search-reports/546011002/

He would have been a nice choice for the Gophers if they did not go after PJ Fleck. He has a more conventional approach that would've been very palatable to the anti-gimmick folks.

Last edited:

Somehow, I think Gopher Football is not a destination job yet. If PJ keeps up the recruiting gains, and if he wins a B1G Ten Title that may be a game changer.

The 2018 recruiting class is a godsend. The 2019 class is likely a small step back. But, several of his recruits may end up as high 3-Stars or even 4-Stars.

The irony of his success is that we then have to worry about losing him to poachers. Let's not get ahead of ourselves yet. PJ has three or four years to show he can win at MN.

Last edited:

A job isn't a destination job until someone decides it is. And a job is a destination job until someone decides it's not.

It depends on the coach. Iowa fans like to say that their job is a destination job because they've had two coaches for the past four decades. There's no guarantee the next one feels that way.

Wisconsin seems like it should be a destination job, but they've had coaches voluntarily leave recently. Chryst may feel otherwise.

Minnesota may have a coach in Fleck who decides the school and program and city are everything he's looking for. Or maybe it's the one after Fleck.

The irony of his success is that we then have to worry about losing him to poachers. Let's not get ahead of ourselves yet. PJ has three or four years to show he can win at MN.

If that's how it goes, it will mean that Fleck probably got the Big Ten champ game and perhaps won it, say in 2019 or 2020.

It would have to be a program offering $3-4M/year or maybe more. Notre Dame, Michigan, Ohio St, Penn St. Sure, if that happens, then bless him and his family and best of luck to him!

If that's how it goes, it will mean that Fleck probably got the Big Ten champ game and perhaps won it, say in 2019 or 2020.

It would have to be a program offering $3-4M/year or maybe more. Notre Dame, Michigan, Ohio St, Penn St. Sure, if that happens, then bless him and his family and best of luck to him!

There is an unwritten understanding that a BTN school does not hire a head football coach from another BTN school. The last time the Gophers were
involved when we hired Wes Fesler from Ohio State in the early 1950's. I cannot remember when something like that happened since then.

It would likely have to be much more than that, as he's already making $3-4M/year in his current job.

It would likely have to be much more than that, as he's already making $3-4M/year in his current job.

That was supposed to say "... offering $3-4M/year or maybe more, more than what he's making now". Whoops!

That was supposed to say "... offering $3-4M/year or maybe more, more than what he's making now". Whoops!

well to be fair, I'd leave my current job for 3-4 million more than what I make now.

A job isn't a destination job until someone decides it is. And a job is a destination job until someone decides it's not.

It depends on the coach. Iowa fans like to say that their job is a destination job because they've had two coaches for the past four decades. There's no guarantee the next one feels that way.

Wisconsin seems like it should be a destination job, but they've had coaches voluntarily leave recently. Chryst may feel otherwise.

Minnesota may have a coach in Fleck who decides the school and program and city are everything he's looking for. Or maybe it's the one after Fleck.
Agreed it's all about the hire Ferentz is a Fry deciples, so after a stint in the NFL as an assistant Iam not surprised he viewed it as a destination. Paul Chryst entire identity is wrapped up in Madison. Frost played for Osborne at Nebraska. Perhaps Brohm would bolt to Louisville if given the opportunity. NW an obvious destination for Fitzgerald. Maybe Flecks the guy maybe not, but the advantage we have is he wants to be in the Midwest, and there aren't alot of non big ten jobs in the Midwest that could poach him IMO

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Even if you were already making 3.5M, in a sweet gig, where you’re king of the town?

People almost always want more.

When you make $30k. $50k seems like a lot and enough to be happy.
When you make $50k, 80k seems like the amount you want.
When you make 80k you want 120k
When you make 120k you want 200k
When you make 200k, you want 500k
etc.

This continues in the millions.

For $3 million you can buy a nice house.
But for $6 million you have several nice houses.
For $6 million you have several houses.

Go Gophers!!

I know it's extremely difficult, but Suggs is so good I wonder if he wants to try and play both sports in college? I wonder if schools would let him play both?

I know it's extremely difficult, but Suggs is so good I wonder if he wants to try and play both sports in college? I wonder if schools would let him play both?
Pitino and Fleck need co pilot this, I remember Fran and Ferentz tried to recruit Reid Travis to Iowa for both. Suggs would own the state. Wish Tyler Johnson and Rashad Bateman would walk on to the bball team

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

If he is that successful, Gophs will have extended his contract and substantially increased salary and his buy-out. Poaching will be expensive.

Tell him yes. Get him in the door.

The he will quickly discover on his own that there is no more such thing as a multi-sport star at the P5 level. He’ll choose one on his own.

Jonathan Mann and Aaron Witt at the game yesterday. There were two others with them, but didn't catch their name tags.

Fleck has been close on a few highly coveted QBs. I gotta think selling the progress a walk on is making with our coaching staff is going to provide added credibility to lock one down in 2020.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom