Official 2020 Gophers Football Recruiting Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Rumors

The ability to throw to the TE just gives an offense flexibility and defenses something else to think about.
If only Ciarrocca knew this, right? Can someone please tell him.

Keep him in the boat! And get him in the weight room. Also, I see he has a couple little brothers. Keep tabs on them too. LOL. His sister was the all-city place kicker on the team. PWO? Haha...

Jackson had his home visit last night.

Based on this tweet from his mom, I don’t think there will be any poaching.

Brevyn Spann-Ford came here. Jake Paulson came here even though he had 15 offers including one from LSU. Jameson Geers is viewed as one of the top 2021 TEs in the Midwest and has visited 3-4 times. Plenty of top TEs want to play for us.
Are the #40 and #42 ranked TEs considered stars though? Don’t get me wrong I am excited to see what BSF will become but mid 80s 3 star recruits aren’t considered “stars” for what most people would assume.

Are the #40 and #42 ranked TEs considered stars though? Don’t get me wrong I am excited to see what BSF will become but mid 80s 3 star recruits aren’t considered “stars” for what most people would assume.
What do you view as a top flight TE and at what point in our history have we successfully recruited any? Top 40 TEs are as good or better than we’ve historically done, so the notion that we can’t get any good ones with Ciarocca’s offense hasn’t been true.

If a highly ranked high school TE wants to come to Minnesota and block on every play, bless his heart! I'm not in any position to tell him he's wrong. Glad to have them here, as blockers.

Is it possible that an occasional throw to a TE could actually open up more for Bateman or Johnson or help our running game?

would have been nice to try that or a pass to a RB in the Wisky game. Only the biggest game ever. Eff, I’m still mad about it!

If only Ciarrocca knew this, right? Can someone please tell him.
And yet, TE's in his offense dating back to 2013 have been a minimal part of the passing offense.
2013: TE Receptions: 20-19-6 out of a total of 215 completions. 9% for top TE and 21% for all.
2014: 10 out of a total of 253 completions. 4% for the only TE who caught a pass
2015: 4-2 out of a total of 273 completions. 1% for top TE and 2% overall
2016: 9 out of a total of 263 completions. 3% for the only TE who caught a pass
At Minn
2017: 9-7-2 out of a total of 110 Completions. 8% for top TE and 16% for all.
2018: 3-2-1 out of at total of 190 Completions. 1.5% for top TE and 3% for all.
2019: 4-3 out of a total of 192 Completions. 2% for top TE and 4% for all.

Again. What TE wants to play in an offense that doesn't involve them in the passing game?
I'm not knocking KC and his philosophy, I'm questioning why a TE would sign with us over a school like Iowa or Wisc or any other school who actually throws to the TE on occasion?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but we almost never threw RB screens, correct?

correct. Would have been nice to mix it up and try one in either the Iowa or Wi game. WI is keeping OSU off balance and mixing it up and has gone for it twice in 4th in the first half. We had zero creativity in our biggest game ever.

And yet, TE's in his offense dating back to 2013 have been a minimal part of the passing offense.
2013: TE Receptions: 20-19-6 out of a total of 215 completions. 9% for top TE and 21% for all.
2014: 10 out of a total of 253 completions. 4% for the only TE who caught a pass
At Minn

Again. What TE wants to play in an offense that doesn't involve them in the passing game?
I'm not knocking KC and his philosophy, I'm questioning why a TE would sign with us over a school like Iowa or Wisc or any other school who actually throws to the TE on occasion?

Maybe we should just use walk-on TEs and not worry about top tier ones if we aren’t going to use them.

At Minn

BSF and Jake Paulson did. Austin Henderson. Maybe Jameson Geers.

BSF (Minnesota Kid took the in-state offer over ISU and Missouri and not a top TE) and Jake Paulson did(We were his best offer and not a top TE). Austin Henderson(not a top TE). Maybe Jameson Geers(Why would he pick here over Iowa or Wisc since both of those schools feature a pass catching TE and we don't?).

Are we still talking 2020 recruiting here?

Nope, we need another thread focusing on our need to throw to the TE more. Haven't had nearly enough of those.

Going to be interesting to see how the next few weeks shake out in regards to the 2020 class. Don't follow recruiting super close but definitely sounds like there could be some movement in this years group based on the info that has been posted.

If he was (hypothetically, of course), it would signal to the staff to sign *another* OL. You can't prove that the guys we're looking at here in the last couple pages of the thread, were going to be a for an OL slot that was already going to go to an OL anyway, unless you're getting direct info from the staff, which you're of course not. You're just taking guesses like the rest of us.

I'm very likely wrong anyway, so not going to lose too much sleep over it.
Well, no, I can't prove it.

But common sense should dictate that other than K/P/LS, the staff is not going to be dictating the makeup of a recruiting class on whether or not a 5th year SR is going to transfer or not. That's completely asinine.

Do you think our recruitment of Blaise Andries had anything to do with whether or not Joe Bjorklund returned for his SR season in 2015? I have no way of knowing one or the other, but of course not.

After watching Becky, I think our ÖL can be more than adequate. Apparently no one teaches keeping your shoulders parallel anymore. But I am very concerned about our defensive replacements. I am beginning to think we need to go JUCO and get them on campus and practice in Bowl preparation.

After watching Becky, I think our ÖL can be more than adequate. Apparently no one teaches keeping your shoulders parallel anymore. But I am very concerned about our defensive replacements. I am beginning to think we need to go JUCO and get them on campus and practice in Bowl preparation.

I never knew the O in OL had umlauts.

Reactions: Ls2

I never knew the O in OL had umlauts.

I thought there was something on my screen :)

D-Line has been a concern for a long time around here. Have to hope guys like Cheney live up to the hype and some of the others in the pipeline develop into good players. A quality Juco for next year wouldn't be the worst thing either but those guys are not always easy to find.

for people who care, didn't see it posted here but Gobie changed his pick on Kaden to Cloudy with others going to Nebraska when all the steam came out. Think it tells he's still deciding given I generally view him as reasonably in the know. If people still care about recruiting based on what's been posted here recently

To some of us, this may be a simple matter. However, it appears that Kaden is struggling with making the right decision. I just hope he doesn't wait too long if he is interested in the Gopher.

The boat doesn't stay marooned for long.

To some of us, this may be a simple matter. However, it appears that Kaden is struggling with making the right decision. I just hope he doesn't wait too long if he is interested in the Gopher.

I think Kaden's MN moment has passed.

That ship has sailed.

Are JUCOs able to get on campus and practice that quickly? Never heard of this before.

Are JUCOs able to get on campus and practice that quickly? Never heard of this before.
Fall semesters usually end in December. Not sure when bowl prep practices will begin, but I guess it might be possible to allow a transfer coming in for the spring semester to practice with the team in December? Not sure if the rules allow that. Maybe no team/official activities until the spring semester starts?

Top Bottom