Official 2020 Gophers Football Recruiting Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Rumors

Why do people keep making this about Dickson? He doesn't start, he's a back-up. There were 16 OL's on team this year and only 5-7 can realistically see the field.
Dickson was a JUCO, brought in to be the starter/replacement for Donnell Greene. Why are you acting like that wasn't the fact of it?

Very similar to the Viramontes bust.

Thank goodness that Schlueter didn't give up and quit, when he got benched last year. It lit a fire under his butt to work hard in the offseason and get better, and he was our starter at LT. If he hadn't of done that, who knows what would've happened with LT this year.

Dickson was a JUCO, brought in to be the starter/replacement for Donnell Greene. Why are you acting like that wasn't the fact of it?

Very similar to the Viramontes bust.

Thank goodness that Schlueter didn't give up and quit, when he got benched last year. It lit a fire under his butt to work hard in the offseason and get better, and he was our starter at LT. If he hadn't of done that, who knows what would've happened with LT this year.

This is all understood, but they aren't targeting a freshman with the thought of "man we really need a different option than this back up senior next year. They are simply targeting freshman olinemen to hopefully be starters at some point.

This is all understood, but they aren't targeting a freshman with the thought of "man we really need a different option than this back up senior next year. They are simply targeting freshman olinemen to hopefully be starters at some point.
Well, what if Dickson is transferring out this year, and hence the thinking is "we need another OL, than we originally planned for this class"? That's a wild guess.

Well, what if Dickson is transferring out this year, and hence the thinking is "we need another OL, than we originally planned for this class"? That's a wild guess.

I believe they had 3 committed at one point before 2 guys transferred, and one of the 3 decommitted. So I don't think speculation about Dickson has much to do with it.

I believe they had 3 committed at one point before 2 guys transferred, and one of the 3 decommitted. So I don't think speculation about Dickson has much to do with it.
I disagree that Davis and Umlor would be as significant of transfers as Dickson. Like I said, wild guess, and I'm very likely wrong here anyway. Just spitballing.

I disagree that Davis and Umlor would be as significant of transfers as Dickson. Like I said, wild guess, and I'm very likely wrong here anyway. Just spitballing.

Never said they were more significant. I don't think any of the 3 are particularly significant. We need guys to replace Schlueter and Olson after next year, we need more quality depth. I think bringing in at least 3 olinemen a year is fairly standard practice regardless of who is leaving.

Climate in the Greater Toronto area is much milder than Minnesota
You are correct. That is why I said okay with it. Not necessarily used to it. They know that other than the coasts, pretty much everywhere else in Canada is as cold or colder than the Minneapolis.

What top flight TE would want to come here knowing his chances of being developed as a receiving threat are pretty much non-existent TE's in the KC/PJ offense have never been a real part of the passing game and that is a trend that goes back to their WMU days TE's block in this offense There's nothing wrong with that as our WR are exceptional, but it will be difficult to convince a top flight TE to commit here, which is what @paulser21 said
Brevyn Spann-Ford came here. Jake Paulson came here even though he had 15 offers including one from LSU. Jameson Geers is viewed as one of the top 2021 TEs in the Midwest and has visited 3-4 times. Plenty of top TEs want to play for us.

Is it possible that an occasional throw to a TE could actually open up more for Bateman or Johnson or help our running game?
We all watched Paulson drop a wide open pass vs Nebraska. How many more times would you like to throw to him instead of Bateman or Johnson?
This board is insane. We just had two 1000 yard receivers who were all B1G for the first-time ever and we’re obsessed with getting TEs more involved.

If we could somehow flip the #10 recruit in the country....man that’d be a huge step forward in recruiting. Just seeing him flip might even make other big recruits give the Gophers a second thought. a guy can dream right?

Cam Wiley and Jordan Howden are from this HS.

including the Single Wing and T Formation

Saw a good team the other night (can't remember who) where the QB ran on almost every play. I was thinking "the're running a single wing". Direct snap to the tailback (QB) with 10 blockers.

We all watched Paulson drop a wide open pass vs Nebraska. How many more times would you like to throw to him instead of Bateman or Johnson?
This board is insane. We just had two 1000 yard receivers who were all B1G for the first-time ever and we’re obsessed with getting TEs more involved.
TJ doesn't drop easy passes?

Yeah, he tosses them around like rag dolls, but he most likely outweighs them but something like 150 lbs. He does appear to have a bit of nastiness to him.
Dickson transferring out has nothing to do with why we need another another lineman in THIS class.

You can't have it both ways, sorry.

Star TEs in high school don't want to come here just to be defacto 6th OL. We're much better off just using 6 OL on every play that we would've gone 11 personnel normally.

Dickson transferring out has nothing to do with why we need another another lineman in THIS class.
If he was (hypothetically, of course), it would signal to the staff to sign *another* OL. You can't prove that the guys we're looking at here in the last couple pages of the thread, were going to be a for an OL slot that was already going to go to an OL anyway, unless you're getting direct info from the staff, which you're of course not. You're just taking guesses like the rest of us.

I'm very likely wrong anyway, so not going to lose too much sleep over it.

You can't have it both ways, sorry.

Star TEs in high school don't want to come here just to be defacto 6th OL. We're much better off just using 6 OL on every play that we would've gone 11 personnel normally.
Star TEs are coming here though. Even though your argument sounds logical, it’s wrong.

The ability to throw to the TE just gives an offense flexibility and defenses something else to think about.

Aren't we talking about recruiting a tight end? Which would mean they are not on the team right now. The Gophers have had plenty of very capable pass-catching tight ends over the years (Williams, Utecht, Spaeth, Lingen, and even a guy like Goodger). I think it would make our great offense even harder to defend if teams actually had to respect the tight end. Spann-Ford also is supposedly a great pass catcher. It might even help our running game.

Top Bottom