Official 2020 Gophers Football Recruiting Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Rumors

How trustworthy has this birdie been in the past? Anyone know if they have spoke the truth in the past?

The little birdies are usually Ryan Burns. In my experience, he is usually pretty plugged into who the staff is interested in and who is visiting, etc. However, I don't think he has any plug (why would he?) on where the players will actually go.

Make no mistake though, there will be significant shifting in this class and we will likely see a handful of players transfer/leave football. It happens every year.

Adds the critical 4th * everyone fawns over. Everyone knows that makes him at least a 10% better player as well.
Why am I seeing him still as a 3* and 87.89?

I really think he has some special talents and should be the star of this class! I don't really care about stars, but would appreciate the boost it would give us in the rankings.

Why am I seeing him still as a 3* and 87.89?

I really think he has some special talents and should be the star of this class! I don't really care about stars, but would appreciate the boost it would give us in the rankings.

Composite rank from all the sites they use to compile that number still has him at 87.89 overall. If you click to his page you can see the 247 rank of 4* 90 ovr. For the most part the composite and 247 rank are close but they do differ on a lot of guys which would move them up or down the list if you just went off the rankings from one site as opposed to the composite from all of them.

Isn't it kind of nuts to think that Martinez would be what, a top 3 highest ranked recruit for us? And he is middle of the pack at best in OSU's class. Not saying that doesn't make him a great player, its just crazy how much talent they bring in.

Isn't it kind of nuts to think that Martinez would be what, a top 3 highest ranked recruit for us? And he is middle of the pack at best in OSU's class. Not saying that doesn't make him a great player, its just crazy how much talent they bring in.

If he’s switching positions to perhaps WR or RB, it seems like it would make more sense to come here, where he has a better chance to be developed, rather than be stuck behind a bunch of 4-5 star guys at OSU.

If he’s switching positions to perhaps WR or RB, it seems like it would make more sense to come here, where he has a better chance to be developed, rather than be stuck behind a bunch of 4-5 star guys at OSU.

True, but I think we've seen few players think along those lines until transfer time.

True, but I think we've seen few players think along those lines until transfer time.

That’s also true.

I wonder if Bateman would have started last year or this year at Georgia?

I have to think having the top two receivers in the Big Ten has opened some doors for Fleck. I just wish the same thing wound happen on the offensive line.

That’s also true.

I have to think having the top two receivers in the Big Ten has opened some doors for Fleck. I just wish the same thing wound happen on the offensive line.

He would have played a lot last year and been their #1 WR this year. Georgia has issues at WR this year, Bateman would have been a HUGE help.

He would have played a lot last year and been their #1 WR this year. Georgia has issues at WR this year, Bateman would have been a HUGE help.

So, you’re saying Kirby messed up? Either way, he’s easily a top 3-5 receiver in the country next year, if he isn’t already. Lots of other teams missed the boat too. This one makes Fleck look pretty smart.

That’s also true.

It takes longer typically for olinemen to develop. This staff developed nfl olinemen at WMU, no reason to think they can’t here.

Every year, people express concern about the number of commits and how many scholarships are still available. and then, as if by magic, it always works out. if they over-sign 2 kids, then 2 current players either quit football, transfer, etc.

If you think this is a coincidence, well, you probably still believe in Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny, too.

I am NOT suggesting that anything untoward, unethical, whatever is taking place. It's D-1 football. that's how things work. believe me, the coaches know exactly how many spots are available and how many players are leaving or joining the program. this is not left to chance or fate.

And then, 3 or 4 years from now, some of these recruits that everyone was so excited about will be second-string or entering the transfer portal. That's also D-1 football.

Burns Tweeted we’re pushing hard for this guy. Three of our coaches were in his home tonight. Look at that offer list....

I would love to get another OL recruit in this class and he has offers galore.

For those that don't want to click...Alabama, LSU, Georgia, USC, Baylor, Purdue, Arizona, Florida State, Colorado, Boston College, Indiana , Iowa State, Kansas State, Ole Miss, Oregon , Nebraska, Oklahoma State, TCU, Tennessee, Oregon, Texas Tech, Utah.

Sign me up

Last edited:

I hope that the success of the Gophers Offense and the national spotlight garnered the Gophers will help in recruiting this guy. The Gophers have a hard time keeping some of our top instate OLs. That may change if the Gophers continue to rise under PJF.

PJ FLeck had been recruiting Bateman earlier than most coaches before his notoriety exploded. It shows how savvy the Gophers coaching staff are. It helps that RB already had the Row The Boat tattoo on his arm when other coaches came calling late. Building relationships early pays dividends.

I don't think RB has any regrets in his decision to play for the Gophers which bodes well for future recruiting in Georgia when recruits see other other Georgia players are doing in MN.

Are the Gophers doing the same due diligence in recruiting instate players? It appears that PJ Fleck means business when he said recruiting is Job No.1 in his introductory press conference three years ago. Winning does help and should help the rise of the talent level. We just have to be patient and lucky battling against still competition both in the Big Ten West and nationally. This coaching staff do not put all their eggs in one basket. When they lost a recruiting battle, they move on in a hurry.

How trustworthy has this birdie been in the past? Anyone know if they have spoke the truth in the past?

All I know is that GuyFawkes typically has solid information. If he has a recruiting nugget....pay attention.

Burns Tweeted we’re pushing hard for this guy. Three of our coaches were in his home tonight. Look at that offer list....

Replacement for Dickson (wild, unsubstantiated guess: transferring out)??

Interesting in that the rankings for Ford don't seem to mesh with his offer list. I mean this kid is being offered by everyone but he ranks in the lower tier 3* range. This is why I trust offer lists way more then rankings because clearly coaches all over the country see something they love about his game.

The vast majority of the current top 25 teams in the polls have offered Ford.

Interesting in that the rankings for Ford don't seem to mesh with his offer list. I mean this kid is being offered by everyone but he ranks in the lower tier 3* range. This is why I trust offer lists way more then rankings because clearly coaches all over the country see something they love about his game.

I know nothing about Ford, but sometimes guys develop early, get big time offers, but then stop improving or improve at a slower rate than everyone else. If, for example, LSU offered early and stopped recruiting him because of that, his offer isn't going to get removed from his profile. That never happens. Can make offer lists misleading sometimes. Hopefully Ford is still that caliber of player though.

He actually decommitted from LSU on June 11. Since then, he had an official visit to Purdue, SMU, and has one scheduled at USC tomorrow.

You should trust the ranking over offer list in this case.

Former 4 star who's offers dried up after a knee injury.

His ranking has been updated accordingly, his offer list has not.

You should trust the ranking over offer list in this case.

Former 4 star who's offers dried up after a knee injury.

His ranking has been updated accordingly, his offer list has not.

Yeah, Ford may have an impressive offer list, but the majority of those offers are not actually available anymore.

He is an intriguing prospect if he can recover from the knee injury though, so the Gophers are betting on getting a better player than his current rating indicates.

Replacement for Dickson (wild, unsubstantiated guess: transferring out)??

This kid will be a FR. Dickson will be a RS SR. I don't think Dickson's presence on the team has anything to do with us recruiting more OL. We are short scholarship OL with or without Dickson.

I'm not saying Dickson won't transfer out, I have no idea. But I don't think it has anything to do with this kid.

Yeah, Ford may have an impressive offer list, but the majority of those offers are not actually available anymore.

He is an intriguing prospect if he can recover from the knee injury though, so the Gophers are betting on getting a better player than his current rating indicates.
He's taking an OV to USC this weekend. He still has plenty of options.

When did he have the knee injury? His Twitter account is very active, but it looks like he played through this season, and he worked out with NFL D-lineman all last summer. Scrolled back as far as April, and didn’t see anything injury related. Didn’t feel like scrolling through 1000s of tweets to go back to 2018.

Top Bottom