Official 2020 Gophers Football Recruiting Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Rumors

I want more guys who have the number of stars Tanner Morgan had.

BY POSITION
Running Back (1)
Receiver (5)
Offensive Line (2)
Defensive Line (5)
Linebacker (3)
Defensive Back (4)
Special Teams (3)

Some conversations about some interest on players who didn't consider us before now being interested. Burns referred to it on his podcast as well as the Big Ten West transfer which I would assume is Spielman.

Signing Day is going to be here quickly.

Burns was saying if we win this weekend, it's only a week of recruiting time left for PJ and his crew.
First class for Fleck without a QB, but we have 4 right now who all might stay and the 2021 commit.

Receiver depth should be plentiful.
Could use another linebacker it appears.

BY POSITION
Running Back (1)
Receiver (5)
Offensive Line (2)
Defensive Line (5)
Linebacker (3)
Defensive Back (4)
Special Teams (3)

Some conversations about some interest on players who didn't consider us before now being interested. Burns referred to it on his podcast as well as the Big Ten West transfer which I would assume is Spielman.

Signing Day is going to be here quickly.

Burns was saying if we win this weekend, it's only a week of recruiting time left for PJ and his crew.
First class for Fleck without a QB, but we have 4 right now who all might stay and the 2021 commit.

Receiver depth should be plentiful.
Could use another linebacker it appears.

Come on Kaden. Don’t go to the dark side.

Not sure we need 5 receivers, unless a few of them could be major factors in the special teams game.

Would like to see another offensive lineman in the class, and a LB wouldn't hurt.

Not sure we need 5 receivers, unless a few of them could be major factors in the special teams game.

Would like to see another offensive lineman in the class, and a LB wouldn't hurt.

WRs can be converted to DBs if needed so not a huge concern on that #.

If we're not going to recruit or use TEs, then we do need a big receivers room.

Seriously wonder if KC dreams of going 10 personnel the entire game, and just using a 6th OL for some of the plays.

I am fine with PJ "over-recruiting" the WR and DB position. I think these are the positions that separate good programs from great programs. We are seeing it this year, we don't have to be perfect to score. We can get stuffed in the redzone and then throw a jump ball TJ/Bateman on 3rd and goal.

Having dynamic receivers is the ultimate safety valve and I think PJ thinks that if he is given enough talent, he can mold a couple players every year into dynamic WRs (and he's probably right). I'm not saying we will always have TJ/Bateman caliber WRs, but I feel pretty confident in the position group.

DB is just the flipside to that coin. It helps to eliminate the other teams safety valve and having good DBs allows you to blitz more.

IMO - I think we are always going to see PJ recruit more WRs than most coaches. We will likely see some attrition in these groups. It's his strength and I don't mind a coach recruiting/coaching to their strength.

Kaden will announce his decision on Sunday. Win or lose it is Wisconsin. It's been decided for some time. We can't dwell on a player that doesn't want to play here. PJ will adjust and make up for his decision. LSU has made quite an impressive push in the end.

Kaden will announce his decision on Sunday. Win or lose it is Wisconsin. It's been decided for some time. We can't dwell on a player that doesn't want to play here. PJ will adjust and make up for his decision. LSU has made quite an impressive push in the end.
Source?

New account to post this? Are you a Gopher fan?

Garcia to Marquette, Kaden to Wisc, Sullivan to Iowa.

They obviously just wanted warmer weather!

I am fine with PJ "over-recruiting" the WR and DB position. I think these are the positions that separate good programs from great programs. We are seeing it this year, we don't have to be perfect to score. We can get stuffed in the redzone and then throw a jump ball TJ/Bateman on 3rd and goal.

Having dynamic receivers is the ultimate safety valve and I think PJ thinks that if he is given enough talent, he can mold a couple players every year into dynamic WRs (and he's probably right). I'm not saying we will always have TJ/Bateman caliber WRs, but I feel pretty confident in the position group.

DB is just the flipside to that coin. It helps to eliminate the other teams safety valve and having good DBs allows you to blitz more.

IMO - I think we are always going to see PJ recruit more WRs than most coaches. We will likely see some attrition in these groups. It's his strength and I don't mind a coach recruiting/coaching to their strength.

I agree it his strength, but shouldn’t that mean we should be able to get away with not over recruiting that position? I’d rather over recruit oline and dline personally.

I agree it his strength, but shouldn’t that mean we should be able to get away with not over recruiting that position? I’d rather over recruit oline and dline personally.
In theory, that makes sense. It's just not how people typically act. It's like the number of CBs that Mike Zimmer drafts early. He is good at coaching up the later picks, but he can't help himself.

But I do hear what you're saying, I just think heavy recruiting the WR position is going to be part of PJ being PJ.

looks like we are hosting a WR target this weekend in Douglas Emilien from Florida. 247 has him ranked as a .8728. his composite ranking is 89

interesting target at this point with so many other WR's committed already. has already visited Virginia and Cincinnati. With West Virginia and Miami visits scheduled as well.

https://247sports.com/player/douglas-emilien-46051391/

can anyone confirm which position the athletes we have commited are planning on player?
McGill played QB in high school. am guessing he will give it a try at WR?
Fleming & Pless DB?

looks like we are hosting a WR target this weekend in Douglas Emilien from Florida. 247 has him ranked as a .8728. his composite ranking is 89

interesting target at this point with so many other WR's committed already. has already visited Virginia and Cincinnati. With West Virginia and Miami visits scheduled as well.

https://247sports.com/player/douglas-emilien-46051391/
Minor correction, 247 themselves rank him as an 89 (which is 3*). Their composite is the 0.8728 (also considered 3*).

Star Tribune All-Metro teams:

Wonder if any of these who aren't already committed will get PWO offers?
I know a couple of them have PWO offers, but they are the kids committed to the North Dakota Schools.

can anyone confirm which position the athletes we have commited are planning on player?
McGill played QB in high school. am guessing he will give it a try at WR?
Fleming & Pless DB?
Fleck saw McGill in person work out as a WR and offered him at that position.

Fleming and Pless are DBs, correct.

Rather he go LSU, anywhere but Sconnie.

Well if the rumors are true that we have some renewed interest by blue chips, it will be interesting to see what Fleck does with this class. Does he drop some guys he's been texting daily for the past 5 months? Does he stick with them and concentrate on 2021 class? This may be the first time at Minnesota he's had to make some hard choices about loyalty to recruits.

Well if the rumors are true that we have some renewed interest by blue chips, it will be interesting to see what Fleck does with this class. Does he drop some guys he's been texting daily for the past 5 months? Does he stick with them and concentrate on 2021 class? This may be the first time at Minnesota he's had to make some hard choices about loyalty to recruits.

I'm pretty sure we still have a few spots open anyway. I think after all of the verbals we had 1 spot left for either Johnson or Joe Moore. We recently just added one commit but also had like 2 or 3 de-commit. I'm thinking we have a few spots for for 2020 blue chippers if there are any interested.

Top Bottom