Official 2020 Gophers Football Recruiting Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Rumors

OK, so the D will be better next year even though seven guys are leaving of the starting eleven. That does make sense.

Who is saying this? Stop lying.

And who are the seven?

From the page above:

"Actually, I expect the d-line to be better. While there are significant losses, the Gophers have something new---significant depth. In addition to returning Mafe, Otumweo, Schand, Dew-Treadway and Teague; the Gophers redshirted Rashad Cheney, Deangelo Carter, D'Vion Harris and M.L. Anderson. In earlier seasons, I think that at least 2 of them would have needed to play as true freshmen. Finally, one name which I haven't seen mentioned is Mayan Ahanatou. His dad was an excellent NFL player for a long time. I'm hoping that Mayan can contribute. "

Leaving will be the three seniors on the D line, Barber, Martin, Williamson and Winfield.

Last edited:

I expect the defensive line to be worse.

It's probably because I'm more of a pessimist.

From the page above:

"Actually, I expect the d-line to be better. While there are significant losses, the Gophers have something new---significant depth. In addition to returning Mafe, Otumweo, Schand, Dew-Treadway and Teague; the Gophers redshirted Rashad Cheney, Deangelo Carter, D'Vion Harris and M.L. Anderson. In earlier seasons, I think that at least 2 of them would have needed to play as true freshmen. Finally, one name which I haven't seen mentioned is Mayan Ahanatou. His dad was an excellent NFL player for a long time. I'm hoping that Mayan can contribute. "

Leaving will be the three seniors on the D line, Couglin, Martin, Williamson and Winfield.
The kid from Perham is also there and may be in the mix as well.

From the page above:

Leaving will be the three seniors on the D line, Couglin, Martin, Williamson and Winfield.
Saying the defensive line will be better is not the same thing as saying the defense will be better, which is what you lied about above.

Winfield is leaving? Link?

And who is Couglin?

Saying the defensive line will be better is not the same thing as saying the defense will be better, which is what you lied about above.

Winfield is leaving? Link?

And who is Couglin?
[/QUOTE

You are right again. Winfield is staying. Coughlin is spelled with an "h". And I lie all the time.

You are right again. Winfield is staying. Coughlin is spelled with an "h". And I lie all the time.

Not only do you lie all the time, you also suck at using the quote function.

I don't know whether Winfield is staying anymore than you know he's leaving. I know that it's uncertain and you want to pretend that it is certain.

Either you're trolling (almost guaranteed) or you're attempting to be sincere and are just a really bad poster. Regardless of which, be better.

It looks like Kaden Johnson had a recent interview in 247's website...anyone with a subscription able to summarize?

It looks like Kaden Johnson had a recent interview in 247's website...anyone with a subscription able to summarize?
It was with a Badger interviewer so it was very Badger focused, but the general vibe was that he's still pretty up in the air. Don't expect to hear anything until we get to December, as he is mostly focused on the HS playoff right now (they play in the title game on 11/29).

His screen name is Latin for truth, so that’s how we know he’s right. Or maybe it’s a she, since Veritas was the daughter of Chronos. Not sure if the poster is taking the Latin or the Roman mythology route. Or maybe both are wrong and it’s short for in vino veritas.
How often does your knowing Latin come in handy?

How often does your knowing Latin come in handy?

If you know the Latin you know the French. And if you know the French you know where the English comes from in many, many words. For example, "verifiable" and "veracity".

OK, so the D will be better next year even though seven guys are leaving of the starting eleven. That does make sense.

You act like it’s impossible for some reason. Like people keep pointing out four of the seven are on the d line and the only irreplaceable player there is Coughlin. Oliver and Sori Marin are experienced and ready to step in. Rush and the redshirt freshmen will add good depth. The secondary should be even better if Winfield stays. Only loss is Williamson.

You act like it’s impossible for some reason. Like people keep pointing out four of the seven are on the d line and the only irreplaceable player there is Coughlin. Oliver and Sori Marin are experienced and ready to step in. Rush and the redshirt freshmen will add good depth. The secondary should be even better if Winfield stays. Only loss is Williamson.

First off, what college team has lost seven of eleven starters on D and not gotten worse (other than Ohio State, et al )? Secondly, why would Winfield stay? To do what? To win what? What does he have left to prove at this level if, if he wants to play pro ball? He wants to get another injury before accepting millions? Being polite I will not respond to your complement of Sori Marin.

First off, what college team has lost seven of eleven starters on D and not gotten worse (other than Ohio State, et al )?

"What college has lost 7 (editor's note - actually 6) of 11 starters on D and not gotten worse, except all the ones who have?"

Great point!

Secondly, why would Winfield stay? To do what? To win what?

Maybe he really likes playing college football. He didn't have to come back this year, so why did he? To do what? To win what? What did he have left to prove at this level?

He wants to get another injury before accepting millions?

Little-known fact - NFL players never get injured. All he has to do is declare for the NFL draft and he'll never be injured again. Moreover, draft entrants never get drafted after being injured. More great points!

Being polite I will not respond to your complement of Sori Marin.

Calling Sori-Marin experienced is not a "complement" [sic], it's a statement of fact.

First off, what college team has lost seven of eleven starters on D and not gotten worse (other than Ohio State, et al )? Secondly, why would Winfield stay? To do what? To win what? What does he have left to prove at this level if, if he wants to play pro ball? He wants to get another injury before accepting millions? Being polite I will not respond to your complement of Sori Marin.

It always surprises me the number of people who write off underclassmen every single year.

Sam Schlueter was written off by the board last year. Sam Renner is an afterthought. I remember people writing off Rashede Hageman, Brock Vereen, Donnell Green, and countless others who struggled a bit in their years getting PT.

Sori Marin is in his second year of college football. He has played significant snaps on one of the better teams in the Big 10. He also played a key part in several big plays (including Winfield's 2nd INT against PSU).

In general, it might be a good idea to not write off true SO and RS FR who are growing into their roles.

Watch Daniel House's replay of the Iowa 40 yard pitch left in the first quarter of that game. Who has outside contain on that play? How does that fill you with confidence regarding his play now or in the future? That is the wide side of the field.

Watch Daniel House's replay of the Iowa 40 yard pitch left in the first quarter of that game. Who has outside contain on that play? How does that fill you with confidence regarding his play now or in the future? That is the wide side of the field.
Did you see Howden play last year?

If you know the Latin you know the French. And if you know the French you know where the English comes from in many, many words. For example, "verifiable" and "veracity".

Now do "Itasca".

Few know!

At the next game watch Howden run. Just look for his top end speed. Sub elite.

I don’t know what you consider elite for a college safety, but he’s probably fast enough.

——

HIGH SCHOOL: Attended Desert Pines High School in Las Vegas, Nevada where he played his senior year • wore No. 5 for the Jaguars • helped lead team to a state championship, 10-2 overall record and a 5-0 mark in league play • as a senior, notched 45 tackles and three interceptions while earning All-Conference honors • coached by Tico Rodriguez • also lettered in track where he excelled as a senior • won the NIAA 3A State Championship in the long jump (21-05.00) and was on the relay teams that took first in the 4x100 (42.70) and 4x200 (1:28.87) • placed fourth in state meet in the 100 meters (11.21) • played his junior season at Vista Murrieta High School in Murrieta, Calif., where he had 29 tackles, three sacks and seven pass breakups.

Verifiable: able to be demonstrated to be true, accurate, or justified
In a sentence: Veritas' assertion that the 2019 Gopher Football team would lose 7 defensive starters after the end of the season was not verifiable.

;);)I'll be sure to get back to you in two months when I will point out the error in what passes for logic in your mind. Then in eleven months we can have a nice chat about how well the D is doing without those seven guys. OK ?

Last edited:

It wouldn't surprise me in the least if the defense is better next year. We get very little pass rush now, when Martin was out, we filled in fine. I don't think Barber is playing well at all this year.

They are apparently very excited about some of the defensive lineman they are red-shirting this year.

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the defense is better.

Top Bottom