Official 2020 Gophers Football Recruiting Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Rumors

I just checked out the 2020 Minnesota class rankings for the 1st time. There are already 8 4-star players in this class - if it holds, it would have to be the top-ranked high school class in modern history. Suggs is #1 and will play basketball, but it still appears to be loaded.

I think thats just a flaw in the 247 composite rankings due to it being so early on in the evaluation process. None of those guys are rated 4 stars by espn, Rivals or 247's own rankings in fact all 8 of them are three stars in 247's own rankings. I think virtually any one that already has an evaluation that is at least a 3 star is automatically given 4 star status in the composite rankings simply due to the fact that there are very few 2020 prospects that have received an evaluation so far.

I think thats just a flaw in the 247 composite rankings due to it being so early on in the evaluation process. None of those guys are rated 4 stars by espn, Rivals or 247's own rankings in fact all 8 of them are three stars in 247's own rankings. I think virtually any one that already has an evaluation that is at least a 3 star is automatically given 4 star status in the composite rankings simply due to the fact that there are very few 2020 prospects that have received an evaluation so far.

That makes more sense. I couldn’t believe there would be that many.

I'd be a little surprised if any of them other than Suggs were rated a 4 star after watching some film on all of them.

The Minnehaha offers are interesting. Just the other day I was telling a friend of mine that by the time that class graduates, Suggs will be the third best player on the team - referring to basketball. Don't know if I am right or not, but it is always fun to talk smart.

It's odd. He was a 4 star when I looked this morning (you can actually see JG's comment about all the 4 stars in the 2020 class), so there must have been some glitch with 247. He was a 4 star today, he either dropped or glitch.

It's odd. He was a 4 star when I looked this morning (you can actually see JG's comment about all the 4 stars in the 2020 class), so there must have been some glitch with 247. He was a 4 star today, he either dropped or glitch.

Every player listed on 247 for 2020 is a four or five star at this point. I'd be surprised if anyone other than Suggs ends up being rated a 4 star as these rankings get updated.

That is a lot of 4 stars for Minnesota. Wow, huge class to win on. I know it’s a long ways away, but have we ever had that many 4 stars come out of MN in the same class?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a glitch. Many years we have zero 4 star. If we have more than 1 it's a probably above average.

It's a glitch. Many years we have zero 4 star. If we have more than 1 it's a probably above average.

It actually keeps fluctuating between 4 and 3 stars, there is some glitch.

When die hard corrected me, he was right, he was a 3 star at that time.

I actually think there is a pretty good chance Kaden Johnson ends up a 4 star. He is a pretty special athlete for a DE.

He's only 15 or 16. Listed at 6'4" 200 lbs. I would say size is not an issue.

It wasn't an insult to him. If you watch his film, he looks pretty slight for a guy that is likely an edge rusher (maybe he plays linebacker). I'm not sure if he is really 200 lbs yet. All of this said, yeah, he's young and this is NOT a critique on him.

He reminds me a bit of a more athletic Alston (and that is a big compliment).

Class of 2020 is turning out to be something special with 4 sophomores picking up BCS offers at this point. In nearly 18 years of tracking high school football, I have never seen this type of talent! Great to see for Minnesota HS football and great for Gopher football! 2016 is still the record class with Minnesota signing Coughlin, Schlueter, Johnson, Martin, Barber, Green, Hmielewski, Howard, and Olson. Kegel to Okie St. JD Spielman to Nebraska. Ramaud Chiakioho-Bowman to Northwestern. Amani Hooker to Iowa. Patrick Kasl to Wisconsin. Jamahl Johnson to Iowa State.

In addition to Rosemount WR Jonathan Mann, and SMB trio of QB Jalen Suggs, Kaden Johnson, and Terry Lockett, the following are leading the class:

Buffalo QB Aidan Bouman (6'4 200) - Over 2200 yards passing with 16 TDs. Son of former Vikings QB Todd Bouman.
Mankato West QB Jack Foster (6'5205) - Over 1500 yards passing with 23 TDs.
Both Bouman and Foster were invited to Gopher Jr. Day

Big Lake RB DeAndre Hill (6'1 205) - Two year starter already. Legit size.
Some nice potential in Eastview's Quintcy Suggs, Mpls Southwest's TK Marshall, and Mayer Lutheran's Alexander Flucas.

In addition to Mann and Lockett at WR, Armstrong's Kham Chiaokhiao-Bowman is Ramaud's younger brother. Cooper's Cornelius Wooten was SMSB Showcase.

Interesting TE/DL in Verndale's Craig Orlando (6'3 255), who just won State at 285A. Looks like a big farm boy.

Some nice big OL in Armstrong's Noah Pappas (6'6 270), DeLaSalle's Jalen Travis (6'6 240) - The next Travis through the program. Winona's Ethan Prodzinski and Waconia's Bennett Webster both are 6'5 255. Lots of good size OL in this class.

Lakeville North Ath Raja Nelson played varsity as a freshman and had a solid season as a sophomore.

Some big DL in out-state players from Ada-Borup Mason Miller (6'8 230), Winona Aaron Witt (6'5 225), and Brevyn's teammate at St. Cloud Tech Isaiah Green (6'3 240). Tonka's Carvon Gurley (6'3 260) is another player that performed well at SMSB.

After Johnson, some decent size LBs in Marshall's Yahya Black (6'4 215), Apple Valley's Tony Anger (6'3 215), and Roseville's Dejon Hall (6'2 220).

At DB, SMB's Craig McDonald is probably the next player in line to pick up D1 offer. Number of players with potential but a little light after McDonald.

Not sure if this class will exceed BCS offers from 2016, but there definitely is some potential!

As always....if anyone reads this thread and knows of a 2020 player that had a great season and has D1/D2 potential, feel free to let me know either on thread or on Twitter or Facebook under Bronko Nagurski.

Go Gophers!

http://main.gopherhole.com/page/show/3704128-class-of-2020-minnesota-hs-football-recruits

Class of 2020 is turning out to be something special with 4 sophomores picking up BCS offers at this point. In nearly 18 years of tracking high school football, I have never seen this type of talent! Great to see for Minnesota HS football and great for Gopher football! 2016 is still the record class with Minnesota signing Coughlin, Schlueter, Johnson, Martin, Barber, Green, Hmielewski, Howard, and Olson. Kegel to Okie St. JD Spielman to Nebraska. Ramaud Chiakioho-Bowman to Northwestern. Amani Hooker to Iowa. Patrick Kasl to Wisconsin. Jamahl Johnson to Iowa State.

In addition to Rosemount WR Jonathan Mann, and SMB trio of QB Jalen Suggs, Kaden Johnson, and Terry Lockett, the following are leading the class:

Buffalo QB Aidan Bouman (6'4 200) - Over 2200 yards passing with 16 TDs. Son of former Vikings QB Todd Bouman.
Mankato West QB Jack Foster (6'5205) - Over 1500 yards passing with 23 TDs.
Both Bouman and Foster were invited to Gopher Jr. Day

Big Lake RB DeAndre Hill (6'1 205) - Two year starter already. Legit size.
Some nice potential in Eastview's Quintcy Suggs, Mpls Southwest's TK Marshall, and Mayer Lutheran's Alexander Flucas.

In addition to Mann and Lockett at WR, Armstrong's Kham Chiaokhiao-Bowman is Ramaud's younger brother. Cooper's Cornelius Wooten was SMSB Showcase.

Interesting TE/DL in Verndale's Craig Orlando (6'3 255), who just won State at 285A. Looks like a big farm boy.

Some nice big OL in Armstrong's Noah Pappas (6'6 270), DeLaSalle's Jalen Travis (6'6 240) - The next Travis through the program. Winona's Ethan Prodzinski and Waconia's Bennett Webster both are 6'5 255. Lots of good size OL in this class.

Lakeville North Ath Raja Nelson played varsity as a freshman and had a solid season as a sophomore.

Some big DL in out-state players from Ada-Borup Mason Miller (6'8 230), Winona Aaron Witt (6'5 225), and Brevyn's teammate at St. Cloud Tech Isaiah Green (6'3 240). Tonka's Carvon Gurley (6'3 260) is another player that performed well at SMSB.

After Johnson, some decent size LBs in Marshall's Yahya Black (6'4 215), Apple Valley's Tony Anger (6'3 215), and Roseville's Dejon Hall (6'2 220).

At DB, SMB's Craig McDonald is probably the next player in line to pick up D1 offer. Number of players with potential but a little light after McDonald.

Not sure if this class will exceed BCS offers from 2016, but there definitely is some potential!

As always....if anyone reads this thread and knows of a 2020 player that had a great season and has D1/D2 potential, feel free to let me know either on thread or on Twitter or Facebook under Bronko Nagurski.

Go Gophers!

http://main.gopherhole.com/page/show/3704128-class-of-2020-minnesota-hs-football-recruits

Good stuff, thanks

Thanks Vames. You are the MN man.

Gophers offer Kaden Johnson - 4 star OLB from Minnehaha Academy

He is a little slight right now, but this kid is really athletic.

https://247sports.com/player/kaden-johnson-46050569

2020 in-state linebacker Johnson excited for his Minnesota offer
2020 in-state linebacker Kaden Johnson is "extremely excited" about his Minnesota offer
Ryan Burns, 247Sports - Mar 3, 11:31 PM

"The Minnesota visit was really good, as they have great facilities, great coaches and they offered me," 2020 Minnehaha Academy (Minn.) linebacker Kaden Johnson said to GopherIllustrated. "It feels great to be offered from the hometown school. Coach Fleck is the coach that offered me, and he said that the University of Minnesota isn't going to sit in the corner and take leftovers in their recruiting class. He's excited to offer me."

"It feels great," Johnson said about his new Minnesota offer," I'm extremely excited to have my home team offer me as it lets me know that all my hard work is paying off on the field. My family said the Gopher visit was amazing and they loved the new facility. They love everything that they are doing right now with the team. Being able to see the new facilities was absolutely amazing. Everything that they are doing is fantastic, but I love all of it."

Johnson will be back soon at Minnesota.

"We talked with coach Fleck about coming back for a spring practice, so we'll be back soon."

https://247sports.com/college/minnesota/Article/2020-in-state-linebacker-Kaden-Johnson-is-extremely-excited-about-his-Minnesota-offer-115819101

per Sid:

• Jalen Suggs of Minnehaha Academy averaged 16.0 points and 8.0 rebounds per game this season as a sophomore for the Class 2A state champion basketball team while throwing for 1,195 yards and 15 touchdowns against three interceptions as a quarterback for the football team. Word is Suggs may still want to play college football despite being a five-star basketball player.

http://www.startribune.com/return-of-marcus-sherels-is-another-good-move-for-the-vikings/478464963/

Go Gophers!!

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Might have our first commit of 2020 very early. Between us and Iowa. He has said he loves P.J Fleck, let's hope he stays home!

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom