Official 2020 Gophers Football Recruiting Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Rumors

I wonder if he'd maybe consider playing both in college? If he wanted to I'd imagine we'd be one of the bigger schools to offer him the opportunity?

It's possible but that would essentially mean he's picking football over basketball. If he plays football, he has to be on a football scholarship and that would probably mean he wouldn't start playing basketball until January. Charlie Ward only played 33 combined basketball games in his last two years at Florida St. The seasons overlap too much, I just don't see it happening.

It's possible but that would essentially mean he's picking football over basketball. If he plays football, he has to be on a football scholarship and that would probably mean he wouldn't start playing basketball until January. Charlie Ward only played 33 combined basketball games in his last two years at Florida St. The seasons overlap too much, I just don't see it happening.

Not only that, but if he sees himself as a NBA player, he's likely 1 and done for college. He's ranked 12th overall in ESPN's 2020 basketball class. Not sure how a season of (likely) backing up at QB would be beneficial in that scenario.

That being said, would be a great get. Especially if he decided to give college 3+ years.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Daryl Porter, CB from Florida is visiting today...could be him.

Offers from:
Baylor
Boston College
Buffalo
Minnesota
Penn State
Southern Miss
Toledo
Vanderbilt
Western Kentucky

Not just committed. He signed there in December. But looks like he had an issue with getting in.

https://expo.nj.com/sports/g66l-2019/01/1fa68c71828234/lb-signee-juwan-mitchell-wont.html

Juwan Mitchell won't play for Rutgers in 2019. He will instead return to Butler junior college for his sophomore season at the school. Rutgers began inquiring about Mitchell in October, around the time NJ.com released a list of top junior college players from New Jersey. And he's been a top prospect of interest ever since. The 6-1, 228-pounder took an official visit in November where he finally received his offer, and committed. He's a close friend and former teammate of Rutgers sophomore receiver Eddie Lewis, both at Mater Dei Prep (Middletown, N.J.) and at Milford Academy (New Milford, N.Y.).

Mitchell was recruited in-part by Rutgers defensive coordinator Jay Niemann, who has since been replaced. Although a qualifier -- meaning he is allowed to leave Butler before graduating -- academics, allegedly, played a small role in Mitchell not attending Rutgers.

According to a source with knowledge of the events, Mitchell was one class short. Although he carries a 3.2 grade point average, Rutgers doesn't accept community college math. So he would have had to taken an additional course to be admitted. He would have had to find a way to take an extra math and pay for it out of his own pocket, or return to Butler, where the expense of the course would be covered while he could still play this upcoming season. And he chose to go back and play.

When we caught up with Mitchell Monday morning, he said: "Nothing happened. I've just got to do what’s best for me."

Not just committed. He signed there in December. But looks like he had an issue with getting in.

https://expo.nj.com/sports/g66l-2019/01/1fa68c71828234/lb-signee-juwan-mitchell-wont.html

Juwan Mitchell won't play for Rutgers in 2019. He will instead return to Butler junior college for his sophomore season at the school. Rutgers began inquiring about Mitchell in October, around the time NJ.com released a list of top junior college players from New Jersey. And he's been a top prospect of interest ever since. The 6-1, 228-pounder took an official visit in November where he finally received his offer, and committed. He's a close friend and former teammate of Rutgers sophomore receiver Eddie Lewis, both at Mater Dei Prep (Middletown, N.J.) and at Milford Academy (New Milford, N.Y.).

Mitchell was recruited in-part by Rutgers defensive coordinator Jay Niemann, who has since been replaced. Although a qualifier -- meaning he is allowed to leave Butler before graduating -- academics, allegedly, played a small role in Mitchell not attending Rutgers.

According to a source with knowledge of the events, Mitchell was one class short. Although he carries a 3.2 grade point average, Rutgers doesn't accept community college math. So he would have had to taken an additional course to be admitted. He would have had to find a way to take an extra math and pay for it out of his own pocket, or return to Butler, where the expense of the course would be covered while he could still play this upcoming season. And he chose to go back and play.

When we caught up with Mitchell Monday morning, he said: "Nothing happened. I've just got to do what’s best for me."

Nice find..........1 class short with a 3.2.........good for us but that sucks for Rutgers!

So they must love this guy, right? Taking a Juco this early seems weird. They must love his play!

We will need a new MLB after Barber graduates this year. Sori-Marin is the only other one on the team.

NJ.com: Former Rutgers LB commit Juwan Mitchell pledges to new Big Ten team

It looks like Juwan Mitchell will get his chance to play Power 5 football, following a long post-graduate football ride.

The 6-1, 228-pounder took to Twitter Friday, making his pledge to the Minnesota Golden Gophers public.

Before the Gophers, there was Rutgers, which began recruiting Mitchell in October -- around the time NJ.com released a list of top junior college players from New Jersey.

He’d go on to become a target for the Scarlet Knights.

Mitchell was offered a scholarship by Rutgers head coach Chris Ash during his exit interview, following an official visit in November. He’d commit before leaving campus that day.

He’d remain committed until the early signing period, when he returned to Butler instead of fulfill requirements to sign to the school.

And, now he’s a Golden Gopher, following a two-day unofficial visit to the University of Minnesota.

Mitchell is the sixth member of Minnesota’s 2020 class, ranked 22nd in the country by 247Sports.com. He had 55 tackles and two sacks at Butler in 2018.

Mitchell is on track to graduate in December and enroll at Minnesota in January of 2020.

Despite jumping from New Milford to Fort Scott, Butler, Rutgers and now Minnesota, Mitchell will have two years of on-field eligibility remaining once he arrives in Minneapolis to compete.

https://www.nj.com/rutgers/2019/03/...n-mitchell-pledges-to-new-big-ten-school.html

Go Gophers!!

Oh, Daryl Porter! I thought you meant Darrell Porter. I think Darrell's eligibility has expired (in fact, Darrell has completely expired).

7f818b5d7f15436580a4c734ca9a16d0_front.jpg

50 pound head.

Just wondering if you got your moniker from wearing glasses like that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

50 pound head.

Just wondering if you got your moniker from wearing glasses like that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm not as ruggedly handsome as the late Mr. Porter, but I had similar glasses in my late-20s to the modish frames sported by Darrell.

PS--Also nice to see that I'm not the only poster familiar with the Trailer Park Boys.

We will need a new MLB after Barber graduates this year. Sori-Marin is the only other one on the team.

Thought Rush played inside too? Coulda sworn I saw him get some reps there last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thought Rush played inside too? Coulda sworn I saw him get some reps there last year.

I think Rush could probably move inside. He has good size for a LBer, but he is pretty fast. I think he probably ends up on the outside.

Lake County News-Sun: ‘We’ve always dreamed about it’: Antioch’s Athan and Dino Kaliakmanis verbally commit to Minnesota

Antioch’s Athan and Dino Kaliakmanis always envisioned wearing the same college jersey.

“Since we were 5 years old playing football in the streets, we knew we wanted to play together,” Athan Kaliakmanis said.

The sophomore twins lined up that opportunity Wednesday after both verbally committed to Minnesota.

“It’s really amazing,” Dino Kaliakmanis said. “We always talked about it. We’ve always dreamed about it. It’s a really cool feeling.”

Athan is the quarterback and Dino is a receiver at Antioch.

“I’m happy when the kids are happy,” Antioch coach Brian Glashagel said. “I think it’s a great fit and that’s all you wish for your athletes. You just want them to find a place that they can grow after high school. Not just as an athlete, but as a person. It’s great.”

Dino said Minnesota “just felt right.” Athan said Minnesota “felt like home.”

“I had a great bond with coach (P.J.) Fleck, he’s a great guy,” Athan said. “We have the same personality. Coach (Kirk) Ciarrocca, the quarterbacks coach (and offensive coordinator), is a great guy. I like the way he coaches. Minnesota was a beautiful campus. I loved the city.”

https://www.chicagotribune.com/subu...ioch-minnesota-kaliakmanis-st-0401-story.html

Go Gophers!!

I think you're right, IIRC he played some at MLB in one of the non-conference games. It sounds like the staff views him as an OLB long-term though.

Top Bottom