Official 2020 Gophers Football Recruiting Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Rumors

A lot of these kids throw Minnesota in their final 3 or 5 thinking it’s a show of respect, when it reality, they’re just wasting everyone’s time. Just come out and say you aren’t coming here. Tyus Jones was good at that too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A lot of these kids throw Minnesota in their final 3 or 5 thinking it’s a show of respect, when it reality, they’re just wasting everyone’s time. Just come out and say you aren’t coming here. Tyus Jones was good at that too.

I think with Locket and Kaden and Quinn for that matter, Minnesota is legitimately a top 3 to 5 school for them. We just aren't their #1.

If Kaden wants to be on the Wisconsin sideline and watch the physical pounding the gophers will give the badgers over the next few years, well, more power to him.

Kids will do what they feel is best. I worry about kids that chose to be here, not the ones who go elsewhere.

If Kaden wants to be on the Wisconsin sideline and watch the physical pounding the gophers will give the badgers over the next few years, well, more power to him.

After those few years will he pull a Royston?

I don’t think it sounds like he definitely is going to be a Badger. I think he is wide open and is actually waiting to see what other offers come his way. With that being said I don’t think he will be a Gopher, but could wind up somewhere we don’t even know about yet.

Agree that the interview doesn’t signal anything that Wisconsin is his likely destination.

He’s waiting to see if any “big time” (Ohio State, etc) offer’s come in after his senior year. Also probably wants to see how the Big Ten teams play this season.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

KC Star: A late-comer to football, no one’s missing Ruskin High’s future Golden Gopher anymore

Aireontae Ersery’s entire football career is just more than two seasons old, and the 6-foot-5, 290-pound Ruskin High senior has a lot to show over that short time.

He’s gone from a large, athletic football newbie to one of Ruskin’s few power-five conference pledges — he committed to Minnesota over the summer. And you won’t have any trouble finding Ersery on Friday nights this fall. No. 63 will get a breather at halftime.

Otherwise, coach William Perkins plans to use Ersery’s combination of strength, size, and speed at every turn: on offense at tackle, at defensive end and to wreak havoc on special teams.

Ersery said there’s a family atmosphere to the program at Ruskin, and that same feeling is what pulled him to Minnesota.

“I went to a camp up there, and we had great conversations. I talked to the coaches about what I want to accomplish. I opened up to them, I met the head coach, talked to kids, and it’s got a family vibe. That’s what drove me,” Ersery said. “Minnesota is beautiful also. It felt like Kansas City: kinda busy, but slow at the same time.”

Ersery has become a value part of the Ruskin football program, an example of what’s possible when hard work meets talent.

“Put in the work and schools will come for you,” Perkins said. “We think it will make a difference, and we hope it’s going to get more kids out.”

Ersery has accomplished a lot already, and his goals for his senior season are simple.

“I really want no sacks and a lot of tackles,” Ersery said.

No sacks?

“No sacks given up on offense,” Ersery said with a laugh.

It wasn’t that long ago that Ersery was an unknown. Now he’ll be impossible to miss.

https://www.kansascity.com/sports/high-school/article234259637.html

Go Gophers!!

‘We’re The Team To Watch’: Orono Football’s Danny Striggow Gunning For State Title Before Joining Gophers

Senior Danny Striggow has one thing to work on before he goes to play for P.J. Fleck at University of Minnesota.

“Obviously, I’ve got to get bigger. Defensive ends in college football, a little bit bigger than myself,” Striggow said. “I’ll get there. Just keep doing what I do, play hard.”

In the meantime, head coach Joe McPherson says he helps the whole team “rise up.”

“Having that constant guy out there that’s looking out for the team and getting to the level that he’s at is a lot of fun,” said head coach Joe McPherson.

https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2019...s-unfinished-business-before-joining-gophers/

Go Gophers!!

STrib: Top 10 college football recruits in Minnesota

Minnesota’s top 10 football recruits

The Star Tribune’s Jim Paulsen ranks his top recruits in the state:

1. Kaden Johnson, SMB, OLB, 6-4, 235, sr.: Minnesota and Wisconsin are considered front-runners, but he is still taking visits.

2. Jalen Suggs, SMB, QB, 6-5, 200, sr.: Most believe he’ll choose basketball in college, but it’s not a done deal.

3. Aidan Bouman, Buffalo, QB, 6-5, 210, sr.: The state’s best pro-style passer has been committed to Iowa State for more than a year.

4. Terry Lockett Jr., SMB, WR, 6-0, 165, sr.: Those in the know believe Michigan State has the inside track, but don’t rule out Minnesota.

5. Trevon Howard, SMB, DB, 6-0, 175, so.: Already has offers from Iowa State and Minnesota.

6. Jonathan Mann, Rosemount, WR, 6-4, 190, sr.: Minnesota offered a year ago, based on potential. He’s living up to it this year.

7. Riley Mahlman, Lakeville South, OL, 6-8, 270, jr.: Converted basketball player is Minnesota’s top prospect for the class of 2021.

8. Justice Sullivan, Eden Prairie, OLB, 6-3, 210, jr.: Athletic and plays downhill. A potential tug-of-war looming between Iowa and Minnesota.

9. Cody Lindenberg, Anoka, LB, 6-2, 215, sr.: Dazzled Gophers coaches in summer camp with his athleticism. They offered, he accepted.

10. Danny Striggow, Orono, DE, 6-4, 230, sr.: A relentless force on the line who committed to Minnesota in August. Carter Coughlin-type.

http://www.startribune.com/top-10-college-football-recruits-in-minnesota/560193932/

Go Gophers!!

STrib: Ego-free, ready to go: SMB's Kaden Johnson is unlikely top football recruit

Everything about him screamed linebacker.

It’s for that position that college recruiters have relentlessly chased after him. He carries the only four-star grade among the current crop of seniors. Of the 14 Division I offers, 13 are from Power Five schools.

“It’s crazy to think I’m the No. 1 player in Minnesota,” Johnson says incredulously, without a shred of ego. “Of all the players out there, I’m No. 1. And think I’m, like, No. 9 in the nation at the outside linebacker position. That’s crazy.”

The outlier offer not from a premier league? Yale, an indication that he’s more than just a good athlete.

“Last year I had a 3.7,” Johnson recalled when asked about his grades. “Which is pretty good. They don’t play games here with academics. You’re going to need that education at the end of the day.”

There is a wealth of Division I talent on the roster at SMB, which also includes athletes from St. Paul Academy and Blake. Besides Johnson, there’s Suggs and Lockett, Johnson’s best pals. Sophomore defensive back Trevon Howard. Three hundred-pound defensive lineman Kevyan Anderson. Running backs Sanjay Redd and Dewayne Givens, both flashy underclassmen.

That doesn’t include defensive back Craig McDonald, who has committed to Iowa State but was declared ineligible for his senior season by the Minnesota State High School League because he repeated eighth grade and used up his eligibility before this year.

All that football skill has generated tons of interest and recruiting speculation. The SMB sidelines are busy places during games, a traffic jam of reporters and bloggers.

“It’s crazy,” Goodwin said. “You ever hear of a high school team having to issue sideline passes?”

Johnson knows a great deal of the attention is directed toward him. He’s patient with the constant inquiries about his collegiate future and feels no pressure to make a choice.

“It doesn’t bother me,” he said. “At the end of the day, I’ll go to the place that’s best for me.”

The Gophers and Wisconsin have long been considered front-runners. Johnson said both are in the mix but he wants to explore his options. There are still campus visits to take and football worlds he wants to see.

“Nebraska. Oregon State. I’ve been talking to Vanderbilt a little bit,” he said. “Tennessee. I like Tennessee football. Iowa State, which is cool. Michigan State. There are a lot of schools still in contact with me.”

http://www.startribune.com/ego-free...n-is-unlikely-top-football-recruit/560195902/

Go Gophers!!

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

SDSU is a B1G caliber offer.

Ky Thomas had 5 TD's on only 5 carries tonight. 144 total yards.

Jonathan Mann had 4 TD's, 3 receiving and a kick return against Farmington and well over 100 receiving yards.

Athan Kaliakmanis had 5 TD's, at least 4 of which were rushing. Rushed for 120 yards.

I think all 3 played against relatively weak teams though.

Cody Lindenberg was outstanding in a 40-0 win over downtrodden Eagan. He was a terror on defense and he was pretty good on offense too. I'll look forward to seeing him at TCF Stadium.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Rosemount WR Jonathan Mann ponders senior season, future w/ Gophers

Jonathan Mann didn't want to wait. He was the very first player to commit to P.J. Fleck's Gopher football recruiting class for the Class of 2020.

Recruiting services rate Mann as one of the state's top prospects, and the best receiver in this year's senior class statewide.

Since committing to the Gophers, Mann took on a role as a recruiter himself. He's been in touch with several players who shifted from being recruits to commits, as he watched his fellow incoming classmates sign on.

Rivals.com rates the Gophers current Class of 2020 crop as the 25th-best recruiting class in the nation - 5th best in the Big Ten Conference.

Mann signed on with the Gophers, spurning offers from Iowa, Arkansas and Iowa State.

https://kstp.com/sports/jonathan-mann-rosemount-football-receiver-gophers-commit/5500456/?cat=10564

Go Gophers!!

per Sid:

• It’s strange that the Gophers can rank 32nd when it comes to their 2020 football recruiting class but rank only eighth in the Big Ten.

http://www.startribune.com/ex-gms-t...d-a-hand-in-building-twins-success/561651922/

Go Gophers!!

It's not strange at all. The SEC and Big Ten, in particular, are overrepresented toward the top of the recruiting ranks. Mississippi St. Is 20th in the country, even higher than the Gophers and with a much better class, but they're only 8th in the SEC.

According to the page dedicated to Terry Lockett on 247 Allen Trieu just switched his CB from MSU to undecided and we are the only team listed as warm. I know recruiting is fluid and always evolving but didn't realize we were still in on him. Is playing with high school teammate and friend important to Kaden Johnson? I think we could find room for both of them! ;)

According to the page dedicated to Terry Lockett on 247 Allen Trieu just switched his CB from MSU to undecided and we are the only team listed as warm. I know recruiting is fluid and always evolving but didn't realize we were still in on him. Is playing with high school teammate and friend important to Kaden Johnson? I think we could find room for both of them! ;)

Yes please.

I can’t think of any good reasons for a WR to choose Michigan State over Wide Receiver U.

For some reason it appears MSU is no longer really interested.

Not sure what that's all about.

Ryan Burns just retweeted this. I think Lockett is coming here.

https://twitter.com/lockett3_t/status/1180631416520024071?s=21

Top Bottom