Official 2020 Gophers Football Recruiting Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Rumors

So on a lighter note, anyone got a list of who’s gonna be at the BBQ? Anyone think we’ll see a commitment this weekend? Gotta imagine recruiting news will tone down soon here with Fall Camp right around the corner.

So on a lighter note, anyone got a list of who’s gonna be at the BBQ? Anyone think we’ll see a commitment this weekend? Gotta imagine recruiting news will tone down soon here with Fall Camp right around the corner.

I was going to start a list in a thread devoted to this, but it got diverted into which poster should go to the BBQ, so I kind of lost my ambition.

Last edited:

If a recruit finds honesty important and would be turned off by a coach using misleading statements - then I think I would have done them a service. It's not like I am asking for much here.

If you’re trying to help them out, go send them a tweet, just in case they don’t see this thread. Save these kids from committing to a “liar.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you’re trying to help them out, go send them a tweet, just in case they don’t see this thread. Save these kids from committing to a “liar.”

You’ve got to admit for a coach who preaches and prioritizes being excellent spiritually, socially and academically it seems odd to consistently mislead people. I wonder what his response would be to a player who claimed he made it to every class but in reality was just really close to making it to class most of the time. All Spoofin does is point out inconsistencies in the PJ approach. If it bugs you don’t read him- personally I’ll read him and chuckle and respond when people irrationally attack him.

Would be great to see the top 100 kid commit and help fill out the class- and maybe a surprise commit from a 2021 prospect?

Actually, you’re the one who suggested GH posts can influence recruits - I was just playing along. I doubt a single recruit cares any more about what I post than you do.

Actually, you’re the one who suggested GH posts can influence recruits - I was just playing along. I doubt a single recruit cares any more about what I post than you do.

+22 (so far)

These kids are getting far more influence from their peers, coaches, parent/parents, and hundreds or thousands of random tweeters and instagrammers than from a bunch of old school Gen X, baby boomer, geriatrics, and other nit-picking “law and order types” (IALTO) in the Gopherhole. Fibbing about stuff is probably something the kids like or at least don’t care that much about. Look at the level of discourse about virtually any topic and it’s random unsubstantiated opinions, made up statistics, and personal attacks. Pointing out the coach’s penchant for tall tales just isn’t going to register and even if it did many people just don’t care about real numbers.

Why would they lie about meaningless things like this? Great question. I don't begin to understand - but this isn't the first time. Not even close. I'm having trouble keeping track - maybe a new signature will help. I honestly can't believe some are going with the "honest mistake" or "mixed-up" excuse - again.

I'll take a lying winner of a coach over a truthful loser any day, especially when the lies aren't hurting anyone. Go start a new thread if you want to discuss all the lies. I'm sure every coach could have a thread full of lies they've told.

You obviously have your own agenda- nothing the Spoofmeister says is incorrect. While I like what PJ has accomplished so far and especially what he does for the young men when they get here it aggravates me as well that he and Coyle make baseless claims, embellish results, etc. It’s hard to believe for men whose jobs depend on attention to detail can make such “mistakes” consistently. If a commit is dissuaded from attending here because of people unmasking consistent misleading statements made by our staff, and wouldn’t have the intellect to figure out that the claims are incorrect on their own- I doubt they’d be able to get into the U anyways[emoji6].

My agenda is wanting a good football team. That’s it. I don’t give a damn about Fleck personally. Is he a little over the top at times? Of course! Most good coaches are quirky in their own way.

My agenda is wanting a good football team. That’s it. I don’t give a damn about Fleck personally. Is he a little over the top at times? Of course! Most good coaches are quirky in their own way.

This is a good point - the two best coaches in the NCAA and the NFL right know are known fibbers and alleged cheats, respectively. That doesn’t stop people from talking about those things but their ability to win outshines the issues. If they don’t win...then people tend to turn on them and the flaws become ammunition.

I'll take a lying winner of a coach over a truthful loser any day, especially when the lies aren't hurting anyone.

My agenda is wanting a good football team. That’s it.

And I agree. I have said these don’t hurt anyone and of course a winning team is what matters until they do. I would argue these also have no effect on our results - but that’s not the point.

Yes, clearly it bothers me that he does this. I have accepted that this doesn’t bother others. However, it also bothers me the denial some have on this subject and anything involving PJ. I honestly think if there was video of him tripping old ladies crossing the street that some on here would tell me I’m not a real fan for complaining about it and pitch some theory on why it was OK.

PJ is a great recruiter, appears to be a very good coach, and by all accounts is a good/kind person. I think this dishonestly hurts him way more than it could help the team. It also makes him a hypocrite with all he preaches.

How about ESPN? Was that “fluid” too. 2/3 did Not have us Top 25. Period. What facts am I missing? The denial on this site that PJ and MC are intentionally dishonest has gotten absurd. Again, you are in your right to not care about the meaningless things they lie about - they certainly don’t change the World - but Dear God, how many more examples does one need before they stop coming up with wild scenarios to justify them? Seriously.

Since your third sentence is flat out wrong, we now know you are a liar. Not sure why you continue to lie about such small matters. You’re a lying liar, and a joke. The denial by you on this site that you are intentionally dishonest has gotten absurd. You really need to stop coming up with wild scenarios to justify your lies. Seriously.

Last edited:

Bottom line is PJ needs to succeed here or he’s provided an endless list of jokes for very little perceivable upside. He’s a salesman/politician and they do what? Just like those guys it’s going to run a significant proportion of us the wrong way but many people don’t care because the ends justify the means and if the ends include Big Ten rings or significant movement in that direction then all is forgiven. NOTE: this probably includes many if not most coaches...Some of us will probably never be 100% comfortable with PJ because of the dissonance but will be able to appreciate his ability to win if and when that occurs.

Last edited:

Bottom line is PJ needs to succeed here or he’s provided an endless list of jokes for very little perceivable upside. He’s a salesman/politician and they do what? Just like those guys it’s going to run a significant proportion of us the wrong way but many people don’t care because the ends justify the means and if the ends include Big Ten rings or significant movement in that direction then all is forgiven. NOTE: this probably includes many if not most coaches...Some of us will probably never be 100% comfortable with PJ because of the dissonance but will be able to appreciate his ability to win if and when that occurs.

Every coach is judged on whether they win or lose. Period. In some cases, they are also judged on how their players behave.

Last edited:

How about ESPN? Was that “fluid” too. 2/3 did Not have us Top 25. Period. What facts am I missing? The denial on this site that PJ and MC are intentionally dishonest has gotten absurd. Again, you are in your right to not care about the meaningless things they lie about - they certainly don’t change the World - but Dear God, how many more examples does one need before they stop coming up with wild scenarios to justify them? Seriously.

Newsflash, PJ will twist and manipulate and torture any stat to create the impression he wants for his target audience. It's not "lying". It's generally stuff that's technically true from a certain perspective or according to a limited data set.

Prediction: PJ will keep doing this because his approach over all has been very successful and IT JUST DOESN'T MATTER.

Why would there be endless jokes. He's already done what coaches here do.

Have a mediocre record and win a minor bowl game. Oh, and he beat Wisconsin.

Are you saying you have higher expectations for Fleck?

It's not "lying".

Person makes a statement that can be verified as true or false.
Person knows that statement is not true, yet makes the statement anyway.
On what planet is that not lying?

Feel free to apply this logic to all of your favorite GopherHolers !

And I agree. I have said these don’t hurt anyone and of course a winning team is what matters until they do. I would argue these also have no effect on our results - but that’s not the point.

Yes, clearly it bothers me that he does this. I have accepted that this doesn’t bother others. However, it also bothers me the denial some have on this subject and anything involving PJ. I honestly think if there was video of him tripping old ladies crossing the street that some on here would tell me I’m not a real fan for complaining about it and pitch some theory on why it was OK.

PJ is a great recruiter, appears to be a very good coach, and by all accounts is a good/kind person. I think this dishonestly hurts him way more than it could help the team. It also makes him a hypocrite with all he preaches.

Well, there's breaking news. Pat Reusse (aka Spoofin) says, "PJ is a great recruiter, appears to be a very good coach, and by all accounts is a good/kind person."

I think PJ is a good coach, an excellent person, a very good recruiter, and an honest open guy who uses a bit of coach speak.

Well, there's breaking news. Pat Reusse (aka Spoofin) says, "PJ is a great recruiter, appears to be a very good coach, and by all accounts is a good/kind person."

When have I said anything to the contrary?

Since your third sentence is flat out wrong, we now know you are a liar. Not sure why you continue to lie about such small matters. You’re a lying liar, and a joke. The denial by you on this site that you are intentionally dishonest has gotten absurd. You really need to stop coming up with wild scenarios to justify your lies. Seriously.

Ah yes. I looked at the 247 composite and not the 247 rating. I should have said 1/3 false - not 2/3. Doesn’t make PJ’s statement any more true. Sorry dude, you can say I am lying all you want, I’m sure it makes you feel better, but unlike with coach there really is no proof.

All this pointless arguing is making me depressed.

I'm going to listen to KFAN so I can hear a real, meaningful discussion of an important topic - who is going to be the 3rd-string cornerback for the Vikings?

Seriously: I've said from Day 1 that Fleck does things that bug me. But I'll live with it if the team does well.

My point/question is this: I get the sense that Fleck does not do anything randomly. I get the vibe that everything he does and says is done and said for a reason. I see him as the kind of guy who makes a list of 'things to do' every day. So, he must have a reason for saying things that seem to stretch the truth. I just can't figure out what that reason might be. Just another one of life's mysteries.

Your assertion that Spoof is Reusse is ridiculous

Person makes a statement that can be verified as true or false.
Person knows that statement is not true, yet makes the statement anyway.
On what planet is that not lying?

Person makes a statement that he believes is true from a certain perspective, or using some obscure stat he found that makes it misleading but technically true.

That planet.

Person makes a statement that he believes is true from a certain perspective, or using some obscure stat he found that makes it misleading but technically true.

That planet.

How does that fit the 4 of 5 rhetoric?

That planet.

Sounds like you are trying too hard here...

Where does the "4 of the last 5" fit in your definition? From what certain perspective for that statement makes it technically true?

How about his statement about taking a pay cut in coming here?

https://thebiglead.com/2017/04/06/p-j-fleck-claimed-he-took-a-major-pay-cut-to-join-minnesota/

Top Bottom