Official 2020 Gophers Football Recruiting Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Rumors

per Strib:

Gophers football snags three-star offensive lineman commitment

The Gophers added a fifth member to their 2020 recruiting class late Wednesday evening. Offensive lineman Casey Collier out of Mont Belvieu, Texas, shared his commitment on Twitter.

The 6-6, 300-pound tackle out of Barbers Hill High School is the first O-lineman in the 2020 group. He is a three-star recruit.

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-football-snags-three-star-offensive-lineman-commitment/507445042/

Go Gophers!!

per Dustin:

P.J. Fleck’s goal of brining big-bodied offensive lineman to Minneapolis continues to pay off.

On Wednesday, the Gophers received a commitment from Casey Collier, a three-star offensive tackle out of Mont Belvieu, Texas. Collier becomes the fifth player in the 2020 class to make a verbal pledge to Minnesota.

Collier made his announcement via Twitter on Wednesday night.

“First, I want to thank God for everything. I wouldn’t be in the place I am without Him,” Collier wrote. “I want to thank my family for pushing me, believing in me, and loving me. Thanks to all my trainers and coaches for pushing me to become better every day. With that being said, I commit to the University of Minnesota!”

Collier is a 6-foot-6, 300-pound offensive tackle who had received five other offers in addition to Minnesota. He chose the Gophers over Arkansas State, Louisiana-Monroe, Memphis, North Texas and Tulane.

During his time in Minneapolis, Fleck has looked to add size to the offensive line, a key to being successful in the B1G. So far, he’s succeeded in building that type of unit, and it continues to show on the recruiting trail.

Collier is the first offensive lineman to commit to Minnesota in the 2020 class. The Gophers currently rank 24th nationally and seventh in the B1G in this recruiting cycle.

https://saturdaytradition.com/minnesota-football/minnesota-adds-massive-ot-to-2020-recruiting-class/

Go Gophers!!

He'll be a 4 by the time he graduates. He isn't staying put as to growth.

I would imagine the same could be said about all the kids in the class. Not to say he won't, but do you have special insight as to why he'll advance more rapidly than his peers?

I would imagine the same could be said about all the kids in the class. Not to say he won't, but do you have special insight as to why he'll advance more rapidly than his peers?

I have a good gut. I feel it!

He'll be a 4 by the time he graduates. He isn't staying put as to growth.

He's rated 1,444 on the 247 composite. I highly, highly doubt he's going to jump 1,100 spots or more between now and the last evaluation.

He's rated 1,444 on the 247 composite. I highly, highly doubt he's going to jump 1,100 spots or more between now and the last evaluation.

Is that above or below the pretend players?

Not to say you’re wrong either, but he hasn’t been evaluated by ESPN and rivals did not rank him amongst his peers but just assigned him a rating so he may change quite a bit. Though I agree it is highly unlikely he becomes a 4 star as 247, who did rank him nationally, put him in the 900s

It would be so awesome if a player that is coming here either way and that will be the same player either way comes in as a 4-star rather than a 3-star because that means something really big. That would be tops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He won't be here for another year. Now that he is committed he can concentrate on getting stronger, quicker etc. all while getting excited for his next stop. I believe we have a diamond in the rough here.

He won't be here for another year. Now that he is committed he can concentrate on getting stronger, quicker etc. all while getting excited for his next stop. I believe we have a diamond in the rough here.

If you can't get the ready made 4-Star OLs, then you have to get 3-Star players and turn them into 4-Stars.

According to Burns, looks like PJ had Kaden Johnson on campus again yesterday. Anyone have any inside scoop on if we have a realistic shot at keeping him home?

Keeping Kaden Johnson home would be key to an awesome 2020 class.

According to Burns, looks like PJ had Kaden Johnson on campus again yesterday. Anyone have any inside scoop on if we have a realistic shot at keeping him home?

no inside scoop, but I believe we're realistically in the mix

Camped here and 3-4 unofficial visits

no inside scoop, but I believe we're realistically in the mix

Camped here and 3-4 unofficial visits

The only other school he's been to is Ohio State, and that was for a camp.

Gotta think it's a good sign we're the only place he's visited.

Also, not to beat a dead horse, but Jalen Suggs did another unofficial visit on March 5th... Gotta think that's a good sign as well ��

Don’t know if you call it realistic but we certainly have a chance. Especially now that Iowa’s main recruiter has retired. I would imagine our main competition will be Becky. I see one recruiting service has Robb Smith listed as the Gophers recruiter. Perhaps we all are guilty in putting to much stock into what they print.

Lucas Finnessey, a 3-star LB from Wisconsin, was here again yesterday on an unofficial visit: https://247sports.com/Player/Lucas-Finnessy-46058678/

It sounds like he wants to make a decision in the next 1-2 weeks. He doesn't currently hold an offer from Wisconsin or any other P5 school. He seems like the type of kid we have an interest in every spring from Wisky or Iowa that ends up staying home when we force the Badgers or Hawkeyes to make an offer or lose the recruit. If he doesn't get a Wisky offer soon, he could likely be our next commitment.

It will be interesting to see if we still go after a QB in the 2020 class with Athan K. now in the fold for the 2021 class. It seems like most of the QBs who we are recruiting are rated below Clark and below what Athan will likely be at. When Athan steps on campus, Morgan and Annexstad will be seniors and Clark and Kramer will still only be sophomores (assuming they both redshirt this year). It seems like the scholarship could be better spent on an extra o-linemen unless we take a blue-chip QB.

It will be interesting to see if we still go after a QB in the 2020 class with Athan K. now in the fold for the 2021 class. It seems like most of the QBs who we are recruiting are rated below Clark and below what Athan will likely be at. When Athan steps on campus, Morgan and Annexstad will be seniors and Clark and Kramer will still only be sophomores (assuming they both redshirt this year). It seems like the scholarship could be better spent on an extra o-linemen unless we take a blue-chip QB.

I was thinking about this as well and understand the logic given this will be a relatively smaller class. Especially considering the Gophers have Sam Jackson as a 2021 commit as well (sounds like a QB/WR prospect)

I think it's risky to take 0 quarterbacks in a class when you factor in transfers, injuries, potential non-development. It's a long way to 2021 signing day as well. Even if the Gophers can't get a blue chip QB this class, taking even a developmental QB they see potential in would be alright with me.

I was thinking about this as well and understand the logic given this will be a relatively smaller class. Especially considering the Gophers have Sam Jackson as a 2021 commit as well (sounds like a QB/WR prospect)

I think it's risky to take 0 quarterbacks in a class when you factor in transfers, injuries, potential non-development. It's a long way to 2021 signing day as well. Even if the Gophers can't get a blue chip QB this class, taking even a developmental QB they see potential in would be alright with me.

Normally I would agree, but I think this situation is unique since we don't have an upperclassmen QB and because we took 2 in the last class.

Why do people think Jalen Suggs won't come here again?

Think most believe he'll end up prioritizing basketball and end up at one of the blue bloods.

I wonder if he'd maybe consider playing both in college? If he wanted to I'd imagine we'd be one of the bigger schools to offer him the opportunity?

Top Bottom