Official 2020 Gophers Football Recruiting Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Rumors

Wisconsin insiders seem to think they have a pretty good shot at Kaden so it’s gonna be interesting. Not a great deal of Gopher buzz at the moment.

Wisconsin insiders think they'll get everyone, and when they go elsewhere it's due to academic issues

:rolleyes:

How many of the 3-Star commits will turn into 4-Stars by NSD?

Lovie Smith has 3 commits, we have 21. Who is working hard?!?

Nebraska has 5. They seem to be holding out for 4 and 5 stars that may never commit to the Huskers. They fancy themselves in the same conversations as Alabama, Georgia, Clemson and OSU. Michigan is somewhat average according to them. They are far behind those schools in total commits and average rating. Not sure what is wrong except they are really just another program like Iowa, who they are behind as well. Fans are nuts though.

Nebraska has 5. They seem to be holding out for 4 and 5 stars that may never commit to the Huskers. They fancy themselves in the same conversations as Alabama, Georgia, Clemson and OSU. Michigan is somewhat average according to them. They are far behind those schools in total commits and average rating. Not sure what is wrong except they are really just another program like Iowa, who they are behind as well. Fans are nuts though.

Nebraska is saving their offers for the 4-5* guys that lose their offers from other schools after committing crimes, fail school, etc.

I wrote this on the UConn thread in the b-ball forum, but also relevant here: I don’t think Frost is going to be able to pull a rabbit out of the hat.

Meaning, I don’t believe that Frost will be able to convince enough 4/5 star kids to uproot and move to the middle of nowhere (Lincoln, Nebraska) from California, Texas, and Florida, on a consistent enough basis to satisfy Nebraska diehards and boosters. Which means obtain Clemson levels of success where that hadn’t been there before (or not in a long time).

Pelini couldn’t do it. Callahan and Riley certainly couldn’t do it. And by the time you’re back to even Solich, that was a different time and age. Certainly back to Osborne. Those days are gone. He used players that would be impossible today.

Don’t think Frost can pull it off.

Considering 40-50%+ percent of blue chippers aren’t committed yet probably too soon to pop the champagne on Frost’s recruiting woes. As noted they have geography and recent difficulties to contend with however.

Well, Frosty did get the WR we were seeking last session. WR's name was Hollywood if I recall correctly.

It's not a race to see who can fill their class first.

Considering 40-50%+ percent of blue chippers aren’t committed yet probably too soon to pop the champagne on Frost’s recruiting woes. As noted they have geography and recent difficulties to contend with however.

Considering in his first class at Nebraska he was hired just a few weeks before the early signing day and still ended up with a top 25 class that year and the 15th ranked class last year, it is definitely premature to talk of recruiting woes there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Considering in his first class at Nebraska he was hired just a few weeks before the early signing day and still ended up with a top 25 class that year and the 15th ranked class last year, it is definitely premature to talk of recruiting woes there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have to agree with the last few posters in that Frost appears to be doing a great job on the recruiting trail. Back to back top 25 classes are impressive considering what he came into. It appears he's a good coach so that recruiting will probably get better. Also agree it's not a race but if you get on prospects early and get them wanting in it certainly helps when other programs come calling (think Bateman)

I have to agree with the last few posters in that Frost appears to be doing a great job on the recruiting trail. Back to back top 25 classes are impressive considering what he came into. It appears he's a good coach so that recruiting will probably get better. Also agree it's not a race but if you get on prospects early and get them wanting in it certainly helps when other programs come calling (think Bateman)
Yes of course Frost can recruit but the expectations are so very high in Lincoln. I think they are clearly aiming for a spot in the CFP in the near future and if they fall short of a Big Ten Championship again, I don't think the NE fans will consider Frost a success. He has to win big for this hire to "work" for them and I notice that he is behind his fellow Blue Blood programs in recruiting right now.

He was able to recruit at a high level at UCF (in the backyard of some of the best talent in the nation) so maybe this is premature.

Top 25 is nothing when your diehards and boosters legitimately think of Nebraska as equivalent to Alabama, Oklahoma, and Clemson. They seriously think there shouldn't be a difference.

Nebraska should be getting top 25 with it's eyes closed. The facilities they have, the tradition, the number of diehard fans, etc. Top 25 doesn't even get you in in the New Year's 6.

per Sid:

A few months ago, Gophers football coach P.J. Fleck told me the new recruiting rules — allowing for official visits in the summer and having an early signing period in December — meant he would try to have most of his recruiting class signed by the end of the year.

That has never been more apparent than in the past two weeks, The Gophers have rocketed up the recruiting service rankings by bringing in 13 new commitments.

The most recent commitments came from Abner Dubar, a safety from Anna, Texas, who had offers from schools such as Texas Tech, Baylor and Colorado, and Itayvion Brown, an outside linebacker from St. Louis (Mo.) Lutheran who picked the Gophers over Kansas, Florida State and Illinois.

The Gophers now have 21 commitments for the Class of 2020, which is the most in the Big Ten and has them ranked 24th in the nation according to 247Sports.com.

European Gophers

A new wrinkle to the Gophers’ 2020 recruiting class is the commitments of offensive player Richard Agyekum of the Netherlands and Melle Kreuder, a defensive end from Germany.

Targeting international recruits is a learning process for Fleck and his staff.

“There is certain services that these young people in Europe connect with and they bring them over to the states and do kind of a camp circuit,” he said. “Football is a global sport. There is a lot of players, even international, that sometimes get overlooked. Some of these services that bring players over, we have gotten to know who they are and been able to get to some of the camps that these players are going to be at.

“Whether they’re American or international student-athletes, we want to find the best ones. It just happens we’re going to have some international students, possibly. We’re very excited about that to be able to create opportunities for even the international student-athletes who can experience football over here.”

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-football-has-amazing-recruiting-success-in-june/511871722/

Go Gophers!!

Top 25 is nothing when your diehards and boosters legitimately think of Nebraska as equivalent to Alabama, Oklahoma, and Clemson. They seriously think there shouldn't be a difference.

Nebraska should be getting top 25 with it's eyes closed. The facilities they have, the tradition, the number of diehard fans, etc. Top 25 doesn't even get you in in the New Year's 6.

So the UCF squad that he coached that wasn't top 25 in recuiting, that made the New Years 6 doesn't count? Got it. I'll but a * next to that year just like Claeys season. That's just dumb. So by that take PJ can't do it either with his current ranking. We should just eliminate coaching because apparently that doesn't matter.

So the UCF squad that he coached that wasn't top 25 in recuiting, that made the New Years 6 doesn't count?

You’re so far off what I said, I’m not sure if you’re purposefully tying to misrepresent it?

Anyway, as was crystal clear from the post, I was talking about NEBRASKA (not UCF) finishing in the top 25 (ie, say ranked #20 -#25).

That won’t get it done for Frost. That’s not what he’s being paid to do, and that would land him the exact same fate as Pelini.

Nebraska should be getting top 25 with it's eyes closed. The facilities they have, the tradition, the number of diehard fans, etc. .

Nebraska's facilities are no different than other facilities anymore.
Tradition only counts until it doesn't. Minnesota and Army have great traditions.
They do have tremendous fan interest. I think that counts for a lot.

per Sid:

European Gophers

A new wrinkle to the Gophers’ 2020 recruiting class is the commitments of offensive player Richard Agyekum of the Netherlands and Melle Kreuder, a defensive end from Germany.

Look at all these foreign recruits taking all of our scholarships!

/s

Nebraska's facilities are no different than other facilities anymore.
Tradition only counts until it doesn't. Minnesota and Army have great traditions.
They do have tremendous fan interest. I think that counts for a lot.

Facilities - yes and no. How many, even P5, have high 8x thousand capacity stadiums, with all the bells and whistles? Let alone the fact that they pack the places standing room only, to your last point.

Frost will disappoint them. Which is bound to happen, because they can never be Alabama or Clemson, let alone Oklahoma.

Comes down to two simple, but true “mountains” that can never be moved: distance and climate. Like it or not, most of the great players are in warm places (Cali, Texas, Florida, the south in general). And while there certainly are recruits who don’t mind leaving home and even don’t mins going from warm to cold, it creates a statistical bias against far-away and against cold.

Nebraska is the worst of the worst when it comes to distance, for all except N Texas. And they are cold climate.

There is a lot of talent in great lakes that don’t have bias against cold, but Nebraska is too far away.

Put it all together, and it’s too much bias to overcome. At least if your standard is top 4 finishes. Top 25, absolutely. They should be top 25 every year. But top 4 will be once in a blue moon.

Facilities - yes and no. How many, even P5, have high 8x thousand capacity stadiums, with all the bells and whistles? Let alone the fact that they pack the places standing room only, to your last point.

Frost will disappoint them. Which is bound to happen, because they can never be Alabama or Clemson, let alone Oklahoma.

Comes down to two simple, but true “mountains” that can never be moved: distance and climate. Like it or not, most of the great players are in warm places (Cali, Texas, Florida, the south in general). And while there certainly are recruits who don’t mind leaving home and even don’t mins going from warm to cold, it creates a statistical bias against far-away and against cold.

Nebraska is the worst of the worst when it comes to distance, for all except N Texas. And they are cold climate.

There is a lot of talent in great lakes that don’t have bias against cold, but Nebraska is too far away.

Put it all together, and it’s too much bias to overcome. At least if your standard is top 4 finishes. Top 25, absolutely. They should be top 25 every year. But top 4 will be once in a blue moon.

Other than capacity, TCF is a way better venue.

IMHO, if Frost gets back to Pelini levels of 9-10 wins every year, he's there as long as he wants to be there. I think he will be a target for other top programs if he does get them to that level, which will mean Neb will sweeten his contracts to keep him.

I know some extremely goofy Nebraska and I don't know any of them are expecting Top 4. I think they want a step up from Pellini and they want to mix in a Big 10 championship.

It's certainly not entirely North and South though, it's also that they are too far west for other talent-rich states (Ohio, Pennsylvania).

They are in a tough spot geographically.

I know some extremely goofy Nebraska and I don't know any of them are expecting Top 4. I think they want a step up from Pellini and they want to mix in a Big 10 championship.

It's certainly not entirely North and South though, it's also that they are too far west for other talent-rich states (Ohio, Pennsylvania).

They are in a tough spot geographically.

Correct.

I meant to imply the Ohio Pennsylvania hotbed by my “great lakes” comment (also think a fair amount of talent in IL, IN, and Mich).

Pelini was consistently 9-10 wins. How do you take a full step up from that without winning the Big Ten championship with 11 or 12 wins, which then puts you in the CFP (that’s top 4 in my book)??

Big Ten football recruiting rankings: Where does Rutgers fall after landing 4 commitments this month?

5. Minnesota

The skinny: Coach P.J. Fleck is still bouncing off the walls with energy for the Gophers, which have 21 players committed for 2020, more than any team in the conference. The class, completely composed of three-stars with upside, is ranked 25th nationally.

https://www.nj.com/rutgers/2019/06/...fter-landing-four-commitments-this-month.html

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom