Official 2020 Gophers Football Recruiting Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Rumors

Crazy that Minnehaha can recruit that kind of talent to the program, seemingly from nothing. Why wouldn't they be recruited to Cretin, Totino, etc?

I highly doubt that those four just all happened to have been enrolled in Minnehaha feeder schools since elementary ...

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Wish Suggs would play QB for the Gophers. That kid is a really good QB at SMB.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

The Gophers need to make Offensive Line recruiting a very high priority in light of the current OL performance.

We all see in the non-conference game and at the Maryland game that without a good offensive line unit, your WRs, TEs, and RBs can't execute. Your QB will get killed.

I remember thinking in the non-conference games that the Gophers Offensive Line are going to get manhandled in Big Ten play by the way they were playing.

They should follow a hybrid of Iowa's and Wisconsin's model. Recruit hidden gem 3-Star players and develop them like Wisconsin.

Buy an insurance policy and have a total of 21 offensive linemen on the roster at any given time like Iowa. If you get a miss on a recruit, you have bodies that can cover.

The Gophers need to make Offensive Line recruiting a very high priority in light of the current OL performance.

I agree. We have two stellar lineman recruits in Minnesota this year. It doesn't appear that PJ will land either.

I hope the IMG boys will be difference makers.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I agree. We have two stellar lineman recruits in Minnesota this year. It doesn't appear that PJ will land either.

I hope the IMG boys will be difference makers.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

It appears that next year's OL crop will be dismal and competition will be intense. But, that is beside the point. They need to fix their biggest deficit that will determine the fate of the whole offensive production of the Gophers for years to come.

It is time that they consider and identify regional players who are unheralded but have potential and develop them. I mean there were at least two Minnesota/Wisconsin linemen that were not recruited or under-recruited that end up in the NFL very recently. We can't lose these guys to NDSU and SDSU and see them end up in the pros. Bottom line - it is not about the numbers of stars they are rated as. It is about development of the right kids.

Wisconsin has been very successful at doing this. Now, they have dynamic self perpetuating stability at offensive line. I hate to say it, but if you look at Wisconsin's Offensive Linemen, Tight Ends, and Fullbacks blocking, they are like a well-intune orchestra playing a symphony.

They play with aggressive attitude and pride, and rarely do you see a complete and utter break down that the Gophers' OL is.

One or two high caliber linemen is useless without the cast of characters that you need to hold up the line. It is a team effort. We don't need for the others on the line to be great. Just good and dependable. Once they have success, they will attract better Offensive Line prospects.

Last edited:

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Crazy that Minnehaha can recruit that kind of talent to the program, seemingly from nothing. Why wouldn't they be recruited to Cretin, Totino, etc?

I highly doubt that those four just all happened to have been enrolled in Minnehaha feeder schools since elementary ...

We don't know anything about what these kids and their families were offered to go Minnehaha... Scholarships, jobs for parents, or maybe just a proximity thing... Lots of factors.

Just finishing up a review of Minnesota Class of 2020 after 5 games into the season. Definitely some talent in the state above and beyond the 6 with BCS offers (7 for me as I still count Lockett) that should pick up D1 offers. If anyone knows of any juniors that are having a great season, but are under the radar....feel free to post or find me on Twitter under MnHSFBRecruitin.

https://main.gopherhole.com/fbr2020

Anyone know of any visitors this weekend? Most likely a near sellout plus the homecoming atmosphere makes a good weekend to bring in guys.

As an alum, and someone who's had nieces and nephews attend there (one currently), I'll add my two cents. A couple of reasons would be it's very good academic reputation (college prep) and, maybe more importantly for some parents, it's Christian focus and foundation. Many private schools have de-focused the religious aspect. Minnehaha Academy has not. It's in the mission statement and still requires bible classes be taken.

As an alum, and someone who's had nieces and nephews attend there (one currently), I'll add my two cents. A couple of reasons would be it's very good academic reputation (college prep) and, maybe more importantly for some parents, it's Christian focus and foundation. Many private schools have de-focused the religious aspect. Minnehaha Academy has not. It's in the mission statement and still requires bible classes be taken.

Also an alum with multiple relatives who have attended MA. Minnehaha is more religious than the Catholic schools and some others like Concordia, and is less religious than some of the smaller players like Maranatha Christian or Calvin Christian. Yes you take Bible classes, but there were students who went there purely for academic reasons and weren't interested in the religious aspect.

When I attended in the 2000's, Lance Johnson was the coach of the girls team. They would consistently have multiple D1 prospects on their team and compete in the state tournament. Those D1 prospects would transfer in at 9th, 10th, 11th, or 12th grade (and not attend in lower/middle school, as Gophers_4life suspected). He seems like a good guy/mentor and a player's coach so I can see why kids would want to play for him.

Now that he is the Dean as well as the boys coach, from an outsider's perspective it doesn't surprise me he is having similar success. He can sell both the religious aspect and academic strength of the school, and being an administrator he can have a hand in the admissions process. And if academics and a spiritual community as well as a mentor are what those kids want, good for them.

Last edited:

I feel like Craig McDonald might be able to start for this defense, right now ... is he 17 yet?

I'm thinking he's seen Michigan's defense followed by our defense and decided that he's the best DT on our team right this minute.
Yep immediate playing time.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

Anyone on here have any decent connections to coaches or people close to SMB football?
If I was PJ I would be putting on the full court press on Johnson, Suggs, and McDonald. Realistically if we can get the 2 of the 3 (Suggs most unlikely because I think his opportunities in bball are so huge) that would be a huge win! McDonald and Johnson would make great Gophers in my opinion.

So far, PJ has done a nice job of getting a couple local stand outs to commit early, in turn they have helped be ambassadors to other targets and PJ has leveraged them for building culture and relationships early on. EX - Sapp, Williamson, Kramer, and we have Mann for the 2020 class.

Anyone on here have any decent connections to coaches or people close to SMB football?
If I was PJ I would be putting on the full court press on Johnson, Suggs, and McDonald. Realistically if we can get the 2 of the 3 (Suggs most unlikely because I think his opportunities in bball are so huge) that would be a huge win! McDonald and Johnson would make great Gophers in my opinion.

So far, PJ has done a nice job of getting a couple local stand outs to commit early, in turn they have helped be ambassadors to other targets and PJ has leveraged them for building culture and relationships early on. EX - Sapp, Williamson, Kramer, and we have Mann for the 2020 class.

All three of them have offers, and have been on two unofficial visits together this season. They are definitely high on the priority list.

Top Bottom