Official 2020 Gophers Football Recruiting Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Rumors

I am wondering about the same thing. I thought this was going to be a small class. The only thing that I can think of is someone is voluntarily giving up their scholarship. Is that even possible?

Futhermore, This class have no 4-Star commits. Does PJ Fleck have difficulty landing 4-Star recruits and is looking at 3-Star at developmental/hidden gem players instead?

Iowa, Northwestern, Purdue, Illinois, Nebraska, and Wisconsin all have at least 1 4-Star commits, and their average rating is 86 or higher. The Gophers are at 84.78 average rating. That is last place for B1G West for average ratings. Should we start to be concerned?

https://247sports.com/Season/2020-Football/CompositeTeamRankings/?Conference=Big-Ten

I'm going to predict a minimum of two of them get bumped to a 4 star. Many of them have not been seen much by rivals.

I would rather get ones with a ton of offers. We have not seen recruiting like this with all the offers in forever.

I am wondering about the same thing. I thought this was going to be a small class. The only thing that I can think of is someone is voluntarily giving up their scholarship. Is that even possible?

Futhermore, This class have no 4-Star commits. Does PJ Fleck have difficulty landing 4-Star recruits and is looking at 3-Star at developmental/hidden gem players instead?

Iowa, Northwestern, Purdue, Illinois, Nebraska, and Wisconsin all have at least 1 4-Star commits, and their average rating is 86 or higher. The Gophers are at 84.78 average rating. That is last place for B1G West for average ratings. Should we start to be concerned?

https://247sports.com/Season/2020-Football/CompositeTeamRankings/?Conference=Big-Ten

It's actually currently last in the B1G overall. I'm confident Rutgers will bring up the rear in the end, but Gophs were 9th last year in average rating.

We’re better than Florida St. Probably would take him longer to start here.

If you base on it on the win-loss records for 2018, that’s true, but they have a lot more talent in their roster. They already have eight 4-star commits for 2020 (with an overall average rating of .9071) How many do we have? He probably has a better chance of starting here.

EDIT: I forgot to mention two of those 2020 4-stars are also OLBs. And...there are also two 4-star OLBs in the 2019 class. Do you still think he’d have a a better chance of starting there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Nebraska 93.76 Avg Rating, 70.70 Pts, 3 commits
Wisconsin 88.09 Avg Rating, 146.6 Pts, 9 commits
Illinois 87.55 Avg Rating, 52.18 Pts, 3 commits
Purdue 87.04 Avg Rating, 82.53 Pts, 5 commits
Iowa 87.03 Avg Rating, 172.55 Pts, 13 commits
Northwestern 86.22 Avg Rating, 168.66 Pts, 13 commits
Minnesota 84.78 Avg Rating, 161.22 Pts, 15 commits

IMHO, I'd like to see and Average Rating of 86, and 200 Points.

Not to nitpick and I do understand the overall point you are making but Ky Thomas is a 4 star recruit by 247. He is a composite 3 star but 247 gave him a 4 star rating. If he has a good senior year he is a near sure lock to be a consensus 4 star.

Yes, and that put them right at 85, if my numbers are correct. A class of 22 means they will need to clear 7 more scholarships in addition to the 12 they will get from the seniors. Attrition from RS juniors graduating will open some...

Don’t worry. I’m pretty confident it will work out.

Don't agree with the bold.

2018 had composite 4* with Faalele, Dunlap, Bateman. Plus Reigelsperger, Terell Smith, and Viramontes (lol) on ESPN
2019 Nubin was a 4 star on 247 and rivals. Clark on rivals. Cheney, Schad, and Adim-Madumere on ESPN.

Time will tell, on paper it doesn't have look as strong as the last two classes, but I see a lot of very athletic and versatile players in this class. I'm guessing it doesn't typically help a players rating when they are playing out of position or many different positions than the one the college coaches envision for them. It seems like a lot of the players in this class fit that bill. Also interesting is how our lowest rated recruit has possibly the best offer list.

Last edited:

I'm really not concerned. It's not like this is late January and we're trying to fill a class. These are guys the staff has seen, either in camps or in action last fall, and wanted, offered, and accepted committment. Good enough for me.

Not to nitpick and I do understand the overall point you are making but Ky Thomas is a 4 star recruit by 247. He is a composite 3 star but 247 gave him a 4 star rating. If he has a good senior year he is a near sure lock to be a consensus 4 star.

Yes but there are players on other teams in the same situation...you have to pick a way to compare team to team, and 247 composite is the most even way to do so.

Winfield (along with Coughlin) and Johnson are arguably the best defensive and offensive players on the team, and they both fit the profiles of most of these recruits....3 stars with a handful of decent offers. Last season’s best player, Blake Cashman, didn’t even have a rating.

This program hasn’t done enough to bring in classes near the top of the Big Ten (or the middle, tbh), and when recruits show up on game day, there are a bunch of empty seats. The staff just needs to do a better job than other teams at identifying players with the traits they’re looking for, and getting the most out of those players. So far, it looks like they know what they’re doing.

Last edited:

This program hasn’t done enough to bring in classes near the top of the Big Ten (or the middle, tbh), and when recruits show up on game day, there are a bunch of empty seats. The staff just needs to do a better job than other teams at identifying players with the traits they’re looking for, and getting the most out of those players. So far, it looks like they know what they’re doing.

A very reasonable viewpoint.
Pretty much how it has always been here.
Results matter, rankings don’t. When in 3-star land it is all about identifying those with the right traits and fit for your team.

A very reasonable viewpoint.
Pretty much how it has always been here.
Results matter, rankings don’t. When in 3-star land it is all about identifying those with the right traits and fit for your team.

Right. Wisconsin and Iowa haven’t historically had the top classes in the conference either, but they get a lot out of what they have. It’s usually good enough to beat all but a handful of teams in the country. And what we have was good enough to destroy Wisconsin on their home field.

As the final HS seasons heats up for these commits,we hope to keep the poachers away.

Remember when Fleck'p predecessors used to bring in 2-stars and tell us they would "coach 'em up"? This is a step forward.

As the final HS seasons heats up for these commits,we hope to keep the poachers away.

I'm sure a few more guys will open their recruitment at some point. It happens every year.

Remember when Fleck'p predecessors used to bring in 2-stars and tell us they would "coach 'em up"? This is a step forward.

Josh Campion, Cedric Thompson, Derrick Wells, Eric Murray, BBC, Freuchte, Donnell Greene -seven out of fifteen 2 stars turned out to be starters. A few others were contributors. That’s a pretty solid hit rate on 2 star recruits. Eye for talent, development, scheme.

Obviously we have some guys that project to the next level with their individual skills and traits and have a higher ceiling but will that translate to a new level of wins - jury is still out (obviously hopeful).

Josh Campion, Cedric Thompson, Derrick Wells, Eric Murray, BBC, Freuchte, Donnell Greene -seven out of fifteen 2 stars turned out to be starters. A few others were contributors. That’s a pretty solid hit rate on 2 star recruits. Eye for talent, development, scheme.

Obviously we have some guys that project to the next level with their individual skills and traits and have a higher ceiling but will that translate to a new level of wins - jury is still out (obviously hopeful).

A few other Rivals 2* "coach em up" prospects to mention are Rodney Smith, Celestin, Winfield, Weyler, Beebe, Keift, Santoso, Damion Wilson, Myrick, J Huff, Leidner and others that contributed.

PJ appears to be recruiting 3-Stars that they have evaluated in person or in camps that they like. These kids are who they deemed will thrive after they have time to develop physically and mature. I trust the coaching staff.

Isn't there such a a thing as Star Inflation? I am thinking some of the 4-Stars in certain parts of the country may be over-hyped. IMHO, they get a lot of subsequent offers simply because a P5 team initially offered and it just mushrooms from there. Some of these kids may not be thoroughly evaluated by the P5 team that initially offered.

PJ appears to be recruiting 3-Stars that they have evaluated in person or in camps that they like. These kids are who they deemed will thrive after they have time to develop physically and mature. I trust the coaching staff.

Isn't there such a a thing as Star Inflation? I am thinking some of the 4-Stars in certain parts of the country may be over-hyped. IMHO, they get a lot of subsequent offers simply because a P5 team initially offered and it just mushrooms from there. Some of these kids may not be thoroughly evaluated by the P5 team that initially offered.

OMG, please no. Let's not get that argument going again.

PJ is recruiting like hes still in the MAC. 4 no star commits? Thats atrocious and unacceptable for a power 5 program.

There isnt a single high ranking 3 star out of 16 commitments. How Minnesota fans are okay with this low level of recruiting ill never understand. Getting the lowest rating recruiting class by average is not going to get it done.

Handful of those made it to the next level as well.

PJ is recruiting like hes still in the MAC. 4 no star commits? Thats atrocious and unacceptable for a power 5 program.

There isnt a single high ranking 3 star out of 16 commitments. How Minnesota fans are okay with this low level of recruiting ill never understand. Getting the lowest rating recruiting class by average is not going to get it done.

The Huskers class is rated 73rd in the nation, 13th in the B1G and only has 3 recruits.

Looks like Frost has some work to do to keep up with PJ...

Top Bottom